Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2278530 - 05/19/14 06:42 PM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore

Wimpiano, thanks for listening, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Noobpianist90, thanks for your kind words! The Piano is a fantastic movie that is hard to watch because there are some unpleasant scenes.... one person posted on ABF that she was traumatized by it. I wouldn't go that far, but it is intense. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and I think I want to watch it again now that I have two pieces from it in my repertoire. The music is wonderful though. If you watch it, please make a thread and share your thoughts!

TheodorN, thanks for listening. This piece was much harder than I anticipated, the melody is sort of like a lightning bug that you stare out into the dark for and when it flashes your pleasantly surprised :p

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2278543 - 05/19/14 07:26 PM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair
Wonderful arrangement, very well played. I am especially impressed by how smoothly you handed off those ascending lines from left hand to right hand, it all sounded seamless and effortless. Good work!

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue
Second fugue of the day, and another winner! I am so impressed that you are able to keep two diverging lines going simultaneously for so long. Great work!

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose
Well played, expressive but very even and steady.

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56
Delightful! I am a bit of a Bartok freak myself. I especially liked the third piece, very Bartokish. Well done, the exotic feel of this music comes across very well indeed.

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses)
Sounds like a formidable undertaking to me, not simple in any way. But quite beautiful. It paints a picture, sets a mood, suggests something unsayable. Well done!

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures
What a beautiful beginning. And ending. And middle! Here and there, you remind me of Claude Bolling. (That is the ultimate compliment!) Wonderful dynamics, sounds really great, Russ.

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell
Just hearing a few notes of this tune brings a certain sadness, doesn't it? It has come to mean a lot to us. Dan Coates is indeed a great arranger, if anyone can get a lot out of a few notes, he can. Well done, John, well done.

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1
I always look forward to the Chopin pieces in these recitals, and I am never disappointed. Very well done, I really enjoyed listening.

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2
What a treat! That is a beautiful piece, played with wonderful expressiveness and tone. Well done!

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!!
Well now I am hooked, I will have to find the rest of the movement somewhere and listen to it tonight! That was very well played, very steady, very expressive. Well done!

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2278564 - 05/19/14 08:33 PM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: ShiroKuro]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
The music is wonderful though. If you watch it, please make a thread and share your thoughts!
If the music is good, that's reason enough to watch it. I'll get around to it in a month or so. I'll be busy the next few weeks.

#2278580 - 05/19/14 09:03 PM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Ataru074 Online   content

Loc: Houston, TX
thanks guys you all, you are really helping keeping the morale high :-)
I'm still working on that fugue, I hope I'll have a spotless first performance in another week or so... so far is promising and I'll "reveal" the secret on going from some sloppiness to accuracy in short term.
Shirokuro, the ortf technique is described here, and I like it more than the regular XY
http://www.tufts.edu/programs/mma/mrap/StereoMicTechniques.pdf
Mozart: Kv310
Beethoven: Op 14 #2
===============================================

#2278583 - 05/19/14 09:11 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
N17 Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Better late than never...

I've listened to all the entries, many multiple times, and wow! Could've fooled me that this was a beginner's forum! It was great gaining so much exposure to pieces, composers, and genres I had never listened to before. It's awesome to see the talent of everyone who started/restarted as an adult.

Many, many, many, and many more thanks to the kind and encouraging words about my piece from everyone. Ataru074, Sam, SwissMS, Casinitaly, Cathy, peterws, Rerun, jazzwee, 8octaves, earlofmar, noobpianist, shirokuro, TheodorN, CarlosCC and anyone I may have missed. Your comments are much appreciated.

The pieces are beyond my level, so my feedback will extremely limited other than reiterating how enjoyable everyone's work was. Just a few notes I jotted down while listening and catching a few things I recognized.

1. Dynamo- Nearly twelve minutes!! What a marathon. I can only dream of the days when I play a piece longer than about 1:30

7. AZ Astro and 46. ReRun- Very cool pieces. I'd like to try the blues and boogie woogie in the future. Sorry to lump you guys together, I know the pieces are much different but both great!

15. peterws- Awesome pieces with so much feeling. Gymnopedie 1 was one of the first I heard after I started learning to play and fell in love with it. These are fantastic as well. I'm glad you kept the discipline to slow down. When I've heard them faster they kind of lose the impact.

33. noobpianist90- A short version of this piece was one of the first I learned. But you took this to another level as mine did not have the ornamentation of the Petzold version. Very nicely done. And thank you for the comments on my piece. If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to send you a picture of the sheet music I went off for the Haydn Dance. It is a fun little piece to play. The dynamics were actually a point of debate for my teacher. While learning the piece she said she was used to different editing in previous versions she had seen with regards to staccato/legato throughout the piece. To summarize, she felt I played as marked on the sheet, and, though different than she was used to, it maintained the "dance" feeling of the piece.

COYS

#2278622 - 05/19/14 10:47 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: N17]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
Originally Posted By: N17
If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to send you a picture of the sheet music I went off for the Haydn Dance. It is a fun little piece to play.
If it's not too much trouble, that would be great. It does indeed sound like a fun piece to play. Thanks a lot! smile

#2278653 - 05/20/14 12:53 AM Re: Recital 34 What is Lyrical Piano? [Re: ShiroKuro]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
Quote:
re ShiroKuro: " I'm not familiar with this piece but it sounds like you have it solidly in your fingers. I'm curious about the tempo, the score you linked has it at MM=144 (quarter note) but it also says "slowly" -- I don't think of anything above 120 as "slowly" but maybe that's just me!"
Thanks for the accurate and detailed feedback.- Alot stated I played this in a "singing lyrical mode", when I practiced this, I thought it impossible to play it as the score indicated; and sound like the song track played on the radio.
So, it's a very loose interpretation of tempo. Maybe, no strict tempo ---lol; done in "lyrical piano" if there is that term . (I'm not sure) I just did it this way .......---I played this "as if" I were singing the song .---(with all the mistakes) smile
Is there actually "lyrical piano" that has no strict tempo as the main element of it?

#2278667 - 05/20/14 03:15 AM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: ShiroKuro]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
The Piano is a fantastic movie that is hard to watch because there are some unpleasant scenes....

Yes, it's a great movie. Sometimes it's really hard but still great.
I saw it when it was on at cinema (I don't even remember how many years ago) and then later on TV.
I also have the CD with the soundtrack, great foe everybody who doesn't like the movie but loves the music smile

#2278674 - 05/20/14 03:49 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I have been busy the last few days and have listened to just a few pieces so far. As always I'm going to make comments to all participants who want feedback, but this will take a few days. Thanks to all of you who have given comments to my contribution.

Whizbang, you seem to have considerable insight in what goes on between Scandinavians. You are perfectly right, Norwegians use every opportunity to make fun of the Swedes. However I'm growing old, and with the years I have become more tolerant to people from other cultures, EVEN TO SWEDES. grin

ShiroKuro, The Swedish word "Gratulation" means "congratulation". As for the Yamaha N1 I have chosen this to get an instrument with grand piano action on limited space and for a limited budget. I would have preferred an acoustic, but the N1 has the same keyboard mechanics as the Yamaha grands, and is so technically advanced that it handles resonance from loose strings, half pedal and other things you don't usually find in digitals. Occasionally I make performances on real grand pianos, and I never experience problems going from the N1 to an acoustic grand.

#2278676 - 05/20/14 03:57 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Ganddalf]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf

Whizbang, you seem to have considerable insight in what goes on between Scandinavians. You are perfectly right, Norwegians use every opportunity to make fun of the Swedes. However I'm growing old, and with the years I have become more tolerant to people from other cultures, EVEN TO SWEDES. grin

We certainly have something in common, there's nothing more ingrained in our culture as making fun of Swedes smile

The Norwegians on the other hand we consider very nice people, who just speak a bit funny and whose country is really expensive grin

#2278688 - 05/20/14 04:52 AM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: jotur]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: jotur
I like the digi art smile
Cathy

+1 thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2278764 - 05/20/14 09:51 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jazztpt Offline

Just getting started listening,great recital as ususal ,gets better every time.

01. dynamobt/Marilyn - Symphony No. 40 1st mvt
That must be fun,never heard a Mozart symphony played on piano. Well done.

02. Whizbang (Chris) - Milonga del Angel
Great piece (those chords) and great playing. the hard work was well worth it I would say.

03. ShiroKuro - Big My Secret
Be proud of your recording it's great, well done.

04. Anne H - Discovery At Night
Very well played, you have a very nice touch.

05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und
Menschen" and "Träumerei".
Beautiful wouter79 , very even playing with nice dynamics.

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv
Among other things I really liked the start, you create some lovely melodic lines which outline the harmony perfectly, one of your best. This had me rushing to the piano to play.

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues
Very nice control and a beautiful touch , well done.

08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars
Enjoyable listen and confidently played, I suspect you are way above level 5.

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement
As usual controled and confident playing, excellent performance.

10. CarlosCC - Quietness
Carlos - a beautiful composition and performance.This is so heartfelt it brought a tear to my eye, simply stunning.

Piano Recordings

#2278768 - 05/20/14 09:59 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jazztpt Offline

Many thanks to everyone that has commented on my submission, it's much appreciated.

Jazzwee - There is a change in the tempo as part of the piece but I did snatch at it later on and sped up unintentionaly, ironically on the fast bits eek One of the things I need to work on and It wasn't quiet there when I recorded.

Riddler - Thanks for your nice comments, Claude Bolling , know the name but I am not familiar, I will have to check him out.

Piano Recordings

#2278770 - 05/20/14 10:02 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Again, sorry for not commenting more but I'm on the road almost every day for two weeks and no access to a computer.

7. astro Very moody and your playing really fits. A great pace. I can see (hear) why you fell in love with it.

8. 8 Octaves- I love everything about this from your playing down to the title. I had to listen a few times. Very well done!!

9. SwissMs- Wonderful. The piece had a real Mozart feel to me. Just delightful playing and your piano looks and sounds fantastic.

10 Carlos- Carlos, thanks for sharing all of this. I don't know what else to say. I'm a sucker for when someone plays from the heart and your piece was very, very moving. ( I can really hear a cello coming in with this. I think it would be a great duet.)

#2278777 - 05/20/14 10:26 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

03. ShiroKuro - Big My Secret - I like Nyman, and I like this kind of contemplative or abstract work. I can't hear anything that needs big improvements, so I think you did a really nice job. Thanks for sharing!

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose - Copper, this is a very interesting and dreamy piece. A really like the sound and the tone of your Yamaha, and you kept the perfect balance and time of the melody. Congratulations.

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14 - Rerun, thanks for bringing this piece to us because I really like this type of music - blues? -. Not knowing the original version, I found this piece quite funny and well played. Congratulations!

18. earlofmar - Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121 - earlofmar, as you know, this is not my "type" of music, but I can understand the work and dedication you had to play this piece. I don't know why but I like more this Minuet that others I've been listening over here. Good job!

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell - Trapper, I like pieces of music behind movies or documentaries. They give a special "sense" to the message being transmitted and you did a wonderful job playing this theme. Congratulations!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2278779 - 05/20/14 10:33 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks to everyone that has commented on my piece. I love reading your comments. Thank you.

I don't have much time to do "comments on comments", but I have to reply to this one:

Originally Posted By: Peyton

10 Carlos- Carlos, thanks for sharing all of this. I don't know what else to say. I'm a sucker for when someone plays from the heart and your piece was very, very moving. ( I can really hear a cello coming in with this. I think it would be a great duet.)

Copper, thanks for your words. Actually, I was thinking exactly the same about the duet. I'm going to do a duet with my celo partner soon, and I will challenge him to play this piece with me. I think it's worth.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2278792 - 05/20/14 11:30 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

14. George Schiro - Ambivalence - George, it's always interesting to listen original pieces because the sources and influences are always present in the final work. On the other hand, I think that the composer's mood is the base of the composition. That being said, you didn't write too much about this piece so I was trying to guess what inspired you to do this "intense" composition. Sincerely, I don't know... It reminded me a type of "healthy anger" and "hurry"... Anyway, you showed an amazing control of the keyboard and overall playing skills, as usual. I like it very much. Thanks for sharing!

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114 - Very nice, I never get tired of hearing this no matter how many times I've heard it before. Very lyrical, nicely paced. Good job!

05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Traumlumerei". - Thanks for sharing.

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv - Wow, this was unplanned? You never disappointed me. Another example of a perfect control of the keyboard and great skills. Very nice to hear. Congratulations!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2278852 - 05/20/14 01:29 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jazztpt]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: jazztpt
08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars
Enjoyable listen and confidently played, I suspect you are way above level 5.

Ha, I wish! My playing for each piece of music I am allowed to away generally should score about 85 on an RCM practical exam (unfortunately, I have to deduct 5 sometimes 10 points due to exam stress and nerves), so bottom line, I could perform this piece under stress and likely score at least 75 - pass. That's basically what I shoot for in all my pieces. I'm wrapping up Level 5 soon. It's been a very rewarding year.

#2278863 - 05/20/14 01:48 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
Thanks to everyone that has commented on my piece. I love reading your comments. Thank you.

I don't have much time to do "comments on comments", but I have to reply to this one:

Originally Posted By: Peyton

Copper, thanks for your words. Actually, I was thinking exactly the same about the duet. I'm going to do a duet with my celo partner soon, and I will challenge him to play this piece with me. I think it's worth.

If you do I hope you can record it.

#2278898 - 05/20/14 03:49 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21
Fantastic playing and recording! Love it! I like the sound of your piano.

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts
Is this officially a coverup? I'm so glad it doesn't sound depressing (the R.E.M song does) smile Very nice playing! Love the dark bass of your piano.
Your lunch sounds good as well.

23. N17 - Dance in G
Sounds fun to play!! Very well played.
I agree that taking part in a recital is a humbling experience, I had the same thing with my piece, thought I played it pretty well but when I recorded that feeling dissapeared quickly (making place for motivation).

24. Mar_red - Love Story
It is a joy to listen too. Wouldn't worry to much about the changing key. Major composers did it all the time..

25. joangolfing - Arietta
That's a great job with the voices. They're well distinguished but it is still one song. (don't know whether that's good English but I hope you get the point).

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes
That really is a nice song and I hope you sing along when no one is listening wink Touching when I realized that the inspiration came from your father.

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame
You're going to re-nick to NoLongerBeginner right? Sounds well accomplished! Not only as a player but certainly also as a composer. It might be a piece with a darker mood but certainly not without hope! I wish you and your father all the best.

28. ajames - Just a Day Away
Come on, gotta love the dolls! smile Beautiful playing!

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose
This really puts a big smile on my face smile A very happy piece! Sounds so nostalgic!
edit: just read that SwissMS was already smiling before but I don't mind, my smile only gets bigger wink

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466
Your touch is amazing! Very beautiful piece! Does indeed sound more like romantic, perhaps due to the tempo and pedaling.

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano (to do)
A duet, how surprising! Brings back memories of listening to the Mozart Concert for Clarinet in the car with my dad when I was very young. You both play very nice! Must be a lot of fun playing together. I just started playing pieces for four hands together with my wife and we're having a blast.

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro (to do)
Ah Telemann! Nice!! His music makes me kind of "swing along". I tried the singing you suggested, ok let's call it humming wink , but it really works! I like your playing actually better then a recording I have of this piece on a Harpsichord. Just beautiful!

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114
This is in my head now and it won't get out... So catchy! Well done! (Thought it was Bach but that seems outdated info wink )

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session
That's quite a piece to play in one go! Very well done!

35. Ganddal - Gratulation
Very Nice! I will look up some more of his music. Such a shame that some composers are neglected.

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie
Sounds really fun with the two voices!

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair
Compliments from my wife, she loves it (and so do I). Very nice piece and played very beautifully. And what a perfect sounding piano you have!

38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino)
You can really hear Ivan Sing, and he sings well! smile

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue
Bach really was a genius! Incredibly good, just one take, the idea is mind-boggling.

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose
Simply fantastic. I like your tempo!

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56
Listened too it with my teacher yesterday, (we were talking about Bartok) and he really liked it. I like the different styles of each dance and your playing is really good.

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses) (to do)
You played it very expressive, very nice! Seems very hard to play (haven't looked at any score).

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures
Amazing composistion and very well played, beautiful!

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor
blush thanks everyone for your nice words, so motivating.

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60)
Such a happy piece!! Makes me smile and wanna dance! Really good!

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14
You must be very musical if you can play this by ear! Very nice!

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell
Composed in my year of birth so it must be good wink Nice!

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1 (to do)
Incredibly beautiful. Chopins waltzes are my favourite! And you play it so GOOD!!!

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2
Don't quit again! You play very well and this is a wonderful piece! Thanks!

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!!
So nice and calm!

#2278913 - 05/20/14 04:50 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
torquenale Offline

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466 Scarlatti music is great and this sonata is no exception. I like the way you make it modern and lyrical. Pedal is ok, it helps with expression without being "too much". Well done!

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose Lovely music and so uplifting. Your playing is always full of like you have a real audience for you. brava!

28. ajames - Just a Day Away Nice music, and I can hardly believe you are a 10 months beginner! Thanks also because you presented a new composer!

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame Your composition is beautiful and really well played; the story behind adds so much to it. Thanks for sharing!

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes Another original composition, nice melody and played with expressivity. Well done!

25. joangolfing - Arietta I appreciated the Lyrical pieces listening to the themed recital some time ago and I liked this one. You play it very well, with attention to every voice and the result is beautiful.

24. Mar_red - Love Story I really like your arrangement of this famous and nice theme; I find that both intro and ending add something to it. I like your style of playing and the sound of your piano. Great job!

23. N17 - Dance in G You started only 5 months ago but you are musical and the rendition of this dance has the right lift. Congratulations!

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts You and your piano are really a winning couple! Your "double cover" is beautiful and the sound of your piano is gorgeous. Well done!

21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21 This piece is one of my favourite nocturnes, and I like you rendition: you master the composite rhythms, and your phrasing and dynamics are great. Brava!

#2278929 - 05/20/14 06:04 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses) Carlos I agree that this is all quiet ocean and moonlight - maybe even ships that pass in the night. Romantic,evocative, tender and dramatic - it made me thing of dreams, and illusions, what a fascinating piece. Thanks so much for sharing this! I enjoyed your performance.

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures Another original composition. Sounds like you had a frustrating time getting your recording done - but the result was worth the effort. Sweet!!!! What a charming piece- cheerful - bouncy, ---it reminded me a bit of Vince Guaraldi. Loved the energy - this piece shouts joy and optimism. Loved it!

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor Congratulations on your first submission! I love this little piece! I think that considering you've only been playing a few months you've done extremely well on this piece- sure there are some little errors, but they don't leave a lasting impression - what stands out is that you have captured the spirit and voice of the piece and you played it very nicely indeed!

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60) I like Kabalevsky - these pieces are really charming - I could hear the "circus" too smile They are lively little pieces that are very expressive. Lovely contrasts with the dynamics - and wow, your piano sounds just gorgeous!

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14 This is a piece I've never heard of before- I like the sound of it - a bit country, a bit honky-tonk - a bit bluesy... Really interesting and most enjoyable - thanks for the introduction!

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell I remember that program on the Civil War, TJ, it was really quite something. This performance is a lovely rendition, and really stirs up the memories from watching that show - I can see the grainy black and white -- mostly grey- photos, the sombre faces - A very moving performance TJ, every time I hear a new selection from you I hear more shades of tone and greater depths - you are really finding the right music to bring out the best in your skills. Complimenti!

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1 There are a few composers whose works I could listen to all day -and, no surprise, Chopin is one of them. This was really a delight to listen to Richard. It is a real pleasure to listen to someone who has a great many more years (piano years!) than I do to see where dedication and determination can lead. I truly loved sitting back and relaxing, listening to your sparkling performance!

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2 Thanks for the background information. I had never heard this music before, and I must say I really enjoyed it. I lvoed the very rich moody, full-bodied drama of the first movement. The somewhat lighter tones of the second piece were charming and relaxing. Really beautiful music, beautifully played.

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!! Another "new to me" piece of music - Beautiful. What a stately piece - lovely rippling rolling chords, great pedal work. It may have been challenging to learn, but you've given us an elegant performance with which to conclude this quarterly recital. Complimenti

And thus ends another recital.
Thank you so much to everyone who has worked so hard to present the best of their skilsl for our listening pleasure, and thanks to the team members who have been pulling it all together as far back as I can remember! Monica K, LaValse, Frank, Copper, Sam S., (and now Andy!), mahlzeit and for getting the ball rolling in the first place... Mr. Super-Hunky.

Who ever would have imagined how successful these recitals would be come?

#2278973 - 05/20/14 08:39 PM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
It's taken a while for me to start listening. I'm really trying to carve out some quality time, instead of just fitting it in. Unfortunately that doesn't improve the quality of my comments!

01. dynamobt/Marilyn - Symphony No. 40 1st mvt Wow, quite a piece to tackle and you two bring across the spirit of this wonderful symphony amazingly well. The tempo really isn't too swell at all - it brings some of the majesty out. Although you say you are banging it out, there are also moments of great delicacy. And for playing it together just a few times, this is amazing. Loved it!

02. Whizbang (Chris) - Milonga del Angel This is incredibly atmospheric. The love you obviously have for this piece shines through. The Latin feel is well done, without being "obvious". The dynamic range and shaping of the phrases is magnificent. Wonderful!

03. ShiroKuro - Big My Secret This is a lovely flowing performance, nice phrasing and good interaction with the melody and accompaniment. It is one of those pieces I allow to just wash over me.

04. Anne H - Discovery At Night I could tell this was Einaudi the second it started; not, I fear, one of his most imaginative pieces (or perhaps one I've heard more than others) but you play it beautifully. You keep the melody clear, though in a couple of spots working to keep the accompaniment quieter (very hard I know!) would pay dividends. You bring a lovely sense of tempo to the piece.

05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei". I love these little pieces - Traumerei has been on my list to do for far too long! Both are played wonderfully; the first, I feel you have a perfect tempo and dynamic range for. It has great energy without ever being frenetic. Traumerei is played with great feeling and tenderness without becoming maudlin. Loved it! As for the foot pedal problems - perhaps by a digital? wink (Seriously, that must be very very annoying but it's doesn't distract too much.)

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv Didn't realize it was recital, turned on recorder, blah, blah - hate you! wink Very nice, though a little "dry", would have been great in a smoky bar!

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues Very nice feel, smooth chord progression, and good phrasing on the melody. Also, I really enjoyed some of the subtle rubato. Very nice.

08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars I know how technically challenging it can be to do accompaniment and melody in the same hand and you did a really great job of separating them. I liked the phrasing you brought and the sense of space to the piece.

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement I like the Kuhlau sonatinas, and this is very nicely played. In the first movement I particularly liked how you kept the phrasing when the melody was in the left hand. The dramatic changes in the piece were handled very well, with great delicacy where needed and sturm und drang in others. Great!

10. CarlosCC - Quietness Out of sadness grows beauty. This is a very moving, tender piece and performance. You play it very beautifully, with good direction and shaping of the piece.

11. Peyton - Escape There's something about Philip Glass's music that I respond to more than other minimalist composers. I think you do a fantastic job of bringing out the simplicity married with subtle changes that have variety. Very nice control over the accompaniment and lovely melodic phrasing. And really well done with the crazy fast bit!

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2. I think you are spot on about this being neglected, though I'm not convinced that any of the movements should be played separately. You brought great energy to the piece, with great phrasing and wonderful use of (subtle) rubato. OK, now get those hands ready for the the third movement! wink

13. Riddler (Ed) - Love Walked In That's a great arrangement and you play it delightfully. The melody really sings, I loved the tempo and the dynamics of the piece.

14. George Schiro - Ambivalence Nice improvisation, I liked the runs and embellishments. I think it could have done with more dynamic range to really make it shine.

15. peterws/peter - Gymnopedies 2 & 3 One day I'll dust the first Gymnopedie off again; my teacher never really liked it so we abandoned it before I was really happy with it. You play these with great delicacy and simplicity. There is a nice balance between the accompaniment and the melody, which shines. Great control over the pieces.

16. sinophilia (Diana) - In Church - Op. 39 no. 24 Yes a lovely piece, for all the reasons you give. I think you did a beautiful job, giving this a solemn feeling, voicing the choirds nicely and having good phrasing. I think this is one of those pieces you could play for a lifetime and always find something else in ... wonderful!

17. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Torna A Surriento Smells of Italy! It sounds like you had little time with it, I suspect you could have made it smoother with a longer go at it but it's a wonderful start. The dynamic range was excellent and I really liked the rhythmic changes.

18. earlofmar - Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121 A lovely performance of this minuet. You kept the hands together nicely, with a great great balance between them. A couple of transitions could do with more practice but overall it's a lovely performance.

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta Nice find of a piece and beautifully played. The interaction with the voices was nicely done - they are well balanced. My teacher would say you should make the "active" voice more dominant but I like it just the way it is!

20. Newbert - New York State of Mind One of my favorite Billy Joel pieces. I think this piece is quite hard even in the "easy arrangement" so I commend you for tackling it early back in your return to the piano. As you progress, try to make it smoother and add more phrasing in, perhaps with more pedal? But I really enjoyed the way you made the melody sing and some of the little touches were great.

Kawai K3

#2279001 - 05/20/14 10:03 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Andy, you made me laugh! LOL. As i said "Nothing special". grin

#2279038 - 05/20/14 11:52 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: wimpiano]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: wimpiano

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro (to do)
Ah Telemann! Nice!! His music makes me kind of "swing along". I tried the singing you suggested, ok let's call it humming wink , but it really works! I like your playing actually better then a recording I have of this piece on a Harpsichord. Just beautiful!

Thank you blush

I have to admit that although I am definitely a Baroque lover (my to do list is full of Scarlatti and Rameau), I am not fond of the sound of the harpsichord at all. I tried to search Youtube for a piano recording of this piece but found none...so hopefully I will be able to make a better recording one of these days and upload it smile

But I have noticed that it is good for my playing of such music to occasionally play with the harpsichord option of my silent piano. The touch is lighter, but it is totally unforgiving of any sloppiness, because these's no sound if my fingers are lazy.

#2279056 - 05/21/14 01:08 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
13 Performer's name: Riddler (Ed) From: Florida Title of piece: Love Walked In Composer: Gershwin
Just the sort of thing that I would like to be able to play someday! Sounded very improvisational but you say it comes from a book of Gershwin arrangments? Nice timing and color to the piece. Very pleasant!

14 Performer's name: George Schiro From: Florida, USA Title of piece: Ambivalence Composer: Schiro, George
Has a bit of the Spanish in it perhaps? I liked the quieter parts that were a bit more pensive. Is this piece written down at all? Great effort.

15 Performer's name: peterws/peter Title of piece: Gymnopedies 2 & 3 Composer: Satie
Aah, old favorites! Loved the tempo and your playing was very eloquent. I really enjoyed it when you took a little off the volume. Nice dynamics! Great!

16 Performer's name: sinophilia (Diana) Title of piece: In Church - Op. 39 no. 24 Composer: Tchaikovsky
What a pleasure to hear this. In Church was the piece that I played for the Tchaikovsky recital and I really struggled with it! I had a lot of trouble hitting chords precisely and my pedaling was a mess! HOWEVER, all that work paid nice dividends on my piece for this quarterly recital, as the same techniques were utilized. I found In Church to be a really rewarding piece to learn. After the recital, I happened to go to downtown scottsdale to the Steinway dealer and I played In Church there on a big 9 foot concert D. Wow - the big piano brought out amazing depths to the piece. I still enjoy playing it in the late evening. Your rendition is very much like mine so of course I thought it was great!

17 Performer's name: Mike White Title of piece: Torna A Surriento
So you played this pretty much by ear then? Wow. I liked your variations and embellishments. Super job.

Performer's name: earlofmar From: Australia Title of piece: Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121 Composer: Bach
It's a sweet sounding piece. Very delicate and graceful. I learned my first Bach in the past few months so it was very pleasant to hear this piece that I was not familiar with. I liked the pace of your playing and you played very evenly and cleanly. The voices came through very clearly! A fine effort!

Performer's name: CASINITALY (Cheryl) From: Italy Title of piece: Fughetta Composer: Pachelbel
This sounds like a piece I might be ready to try. Hopefully it will be in my repertoire book. Good stately piece and nice voicing. Challenging trill!

20 Performer's name: Newbert From: Glens Falls, NY Title of piece: New York State of Mind Composer: Billy Joel
What a fun piece! There are some great chords and elegant syncopation. Really sounded like it would be a blast to play. Thanks for recording it and introducing it. Nice playing!

Edited by AZ_Astro (05/21/14 01:09 AM)

#2279215 - 05/21/14 11:26 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2 - Tarik, I'm so glad you decide to continue your piano journey. It would be a pity if we couldn't hear your playing because I think you did a terrific job with this piece. A professional sound. Very, very good. Congratulations

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts - Wow, a cover of a cover! That's doubles the attention to your playing. Your unmistakable playing style never disappoints me. The way you use the entire keyboard is amazing and, at the same time, you keep the melody along the entire piece without losing the main theme. A great, great job. As usual, Mr. S-H.

25. joangolfing - Arietta - So sweet and well played and it's a pleasure to hear this piece. I could spend hours listening to it. Good job!

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues - AZ, this is great. Your sense of timing and touch are perfect. Very enjoyable to listen to. Congratulations!

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes - I was intrigued and curious to hear this piece. Now, I understand why you choose this title, it fits perfectly with the melody. Thanks for the lyrics. Good job!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2279252 - 05/21/14 01:11 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've been on business travel and been too swamped to spend quality time with the recital.

Before things got too stale, I wanted to thank Diana, Doris, Peyton, Ataru74, Sam S, Cheryl, AZ_Astro, ShiroKuro, piano_primo_1, PathBreaker, Rerun, wouter79, Cathy, peterws, jazzwee, 8 Octaves, earlofmar, wimpiano, noobpianist90, Riddler, TheodorN, CarlosCC, jazztpt, and Andy for all the nice comments.

wouter79: A special thanks to your careful listening and critique of my performance. We've corresponded privately about your critique, many points with which I agree. It's invaluable to have a critical ear provide candid and constructive feedback.

Diana: I looked up the Argerich performances of Piazzolla's works on YouTube as a result of your comment. Thanks for the pointer!

ShiroKuro: for "Milonga del Angel" (and "Libertango"), you should consider reaching out to John Mortensen, an educator at Cedarville University, who created the arrangement that I performed. He'll probably freely send you a copy of his score.

The first piano arrangements I ever found of Piazzolla were from a German publisher called TONOS: namely, I found the 'angel' series: "Milonga del Angel," "Muerte del Angel," "Resurreccion del Angel" and the 'four seasons of Buenos Aires': Primavera Porteno, Verano Porteno, Otono Porteno, and Invierno Porteno". These are all beautiful pieces that have a Piazzolla feel, but they're very reduced excerpts of the themes of the full pieces. I still recommend them. I think Tonos is gone now, but one of the big publishing companies I think has picked up the copyrights (sheetmusicplus?) so you may be able to order them online.

8 Octaves: "3 pieces merged into one". How true that is--it's really 5 instruments merged into one. Mortensen did an awesome job in keeping that ensemble feel in his arrangement, but it's a juggling act!

"Milonga" is possibly my favorite piece of music ever. I can't really leave off without linking a performance by the original quintet:

#2279267 - 05/21/14 01:47 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Ataru074, thanks for the link to the mic technique info, maybe someday, if I ever have a piano with sound that would make it worth it! smile

Jazzpt, CarlosCC and Andy Platt, thanks for listening and for the compliments!

Whizbang, thanks for the tip, I might just do that! Although, it sounds like it's pretty challenging to play...

#2279351 - 05/21/14 05:54 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
41 Andy Platt

A lot o` different moods and stuff in here, which makes for interesting listening! Plenty for the memory to handle. Yours that is! Very well done here; a good listen of bew (to me) material.

42 Carlos 88

Debussy was great but not at all straightforward. You made it come together with atmosphere and expression. Lovely work; I`m doin` one of his at the moment; rather easier than yours!.

43 Jazztpt

That Roland is a super sound. The tune I know not, but love that repetitive bit that holds it all together with a reassuring fatherly touch whilst all around is super active . . .A really good workout for your fingers. Certainly not mine!

44wimpiano

You haven`t been at this long but you`re showing excellent progress here. Not lacking in confidence, enthusiasm shows and a very creditable rendition is the result. On the way up!

""

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
42 minutes 7 seconds ago
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
Today at 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
Today at 03:56 AM
Who's Online
128 registered (accordeur, ajames, AndresD, anotherscott, 40 invisible), 1274 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158466 Topics
2327099 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission