Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2279355 - 05/21/14 06:10 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
45 Torquenale

Those years as a child give your work experience and it shows; they weren`t wasted. Vibrant playing on a clear sounding piano. Great!

46 rerun

I wish I could to a first take of anything. Never happens for me, so good for you! A happy piece which chugs along very well indeed. Well played!

47 Trapper John

Good dour Scottish flavor to this which typifies their reaction when losing at Football. To the Sassenachs . . . You played it purposely and clearly. No bagpipes needed!

48 ZRTF90 Richard

My dad loved Chopinm this one particularly. I enjoyed the expression you gave it, particularly after the half way mark; you really got into it then. Awesome playing!

49 Pathbreaker

Lovely work. very melodic after 2 mins or so. You really know what you`re doing here; a pleasure to listen to.

50 Valencia

Last and not least!Beethoven`s vibrabcey is too much for incar entertainment. You`re turning it up (quiet bits) and down (noisy parts) but that`s his music. This hymn like piece sounded excellent through your piano.

Here endeth my comments, such as they are. You lot are more knowledgable than me (I`ve forgotten loads)so I thank you for your comments in my direction! The work here does get better and better, And why not? Thank you guys. See ya later.

""

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2279399 - 05/21/14 08:31 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Performer's name: MaryBee Title of piece: Nocturne in C minor, No. 21 Composer: Chopin
Delightful and thoughtful. The Charles Walter sings! I tried to tackle a Nocturne and had to let it go until I'm technically ready. Congrats on conquering this one. It has some very poignant moments in it. Nice playing!

Performer's name: Mr Super Hunky From: Arizona currently, Originally the water
I could sense some real command from the start. The Mason and Hamlin really helps, doesn't it? I mean, it doesn't play it for you but its strength and presence help to inspire. The tune is a delightful melody of chords with, I think, an underlying optimism. Very nice!

Performer's name: N17 From: Georgia, USA Title of piece: Dance in G
That's a super effort for 5 and a half months! Very steady beat and some nice touch. A little dainty! Good job.

Performer's name: Mar_red From: Poland Title of piece: Love Story Composer: Francis Lai
So you played this "by ear". Are you improvising the chords of the left hand? Your right hand work was terrific. You added a lot of embellishments that seemed just right. Sounds pretty challenging! Fine work!

Performer's name: joangolfing Title of piece: Arietta Composer: Edvard Grieg
I, too, can't let Grieg go. And Arietta is one of those pieces in my pile of To Do's! (I'm honing The Watchman's Song - same opus as Arietta). But Arietta is such a lovely songette. You played it gracefully and with a nice sense of timing. Keep playing that piece! You've found a real gem!

Performer's name: Sand Tiger Title of piece: Pancakes Composer: Sand Tiger
Nice lyrics! Have you tried this on an acoustic? I think there are some depths to the music that the digital doesn't quite bring out. But you played with a lot of emotion and it shows. Super!

Performer's name: (Was)TrueBeginner From: VA, USA Title of piece: Blame
It's a solid work of composition and you played it very well. Nice control of the pace and the melody really comes through. Great job!

Performer's name: ajames From: United States Experience: 10 months Title of piece: Just a Day Away
Hey - I'm learning this song, too! But you've done more with it. You did a very fine job for the time you've put in with the piano. Keep up the good work!

Performer's name: jotur/Cathy Turner From: Santa Fe, NM Title of piece: Second Hand Rose
Memory lane here! It really tells a story! And you tell it masterfully. I love it when the chorus comes back in. Made me want to dance! I can see the seniors really enjoying your playing. Nicely done!

Performer's name: PikaPianist From: Brisbane Title of piece: Sonata in F minor, K466 Composer: Scarlatti
I really enjoyed this piece which I had not heard before. It's played with precision and delicacy. Very engaging and sweet. Wonderful! Thanks!

Edited by AZ_Astro (05/21/14 08:37 PM)

#2279403 - 05/21/14 08:38 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
49. Pathbreaker..... Wow. Pretty amazing playing. Seriously.

#2279429 - 05/21/14 09:32 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
The next 15:

21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21 A very beautiful performance, you kept a wonderfully controlled accompaniment with a soaring melody. I loved the dynamics in the piece and the rhythms were spot on. Very nice!

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts Well, it sounds more MSH than REM but that's fine with me! It's a very nice interpretation of the piece, moving her and there with great energy. The recording had clipping issues though.

23. N17 - Dance in G A lovely dance (I used to play this from the same book but never got it to this fine standard.) I think you are a little harsh on yourself, it moves along very nicely, there is some nice phrasing in there and it is very dancelike. Above all, it is musical. Sure you will improve all those things you mention as you progress but if you keep the musicality you'll be just fine!

24. Mar_red - Love Story A nice interpretation, though I preferred the "simpler" parts where the melody is clearer. The playing was great, the runs were nice, though occasionally a bit busy. I did enjoy some of the harmonic progressions in there!

25. joangolfing - Arietta Very nice job with this beautiful short piece; I love that although this was the theme in the very first of his lyric pieces, he used it to close the cycle in the very last one too written a few years before he died. You capture the wistful air of this very well, I think you did a wonderful job with the layering of the piece, keeping the melody present at all times with lovely phrasing.

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes A nice composition - it has the simplicity befitting the title and expression of the lyrics. I would like the melody to be more cantabile since it's supposed to be a song but it's your expression so your choice! Also the accompaniment could vary from block chords a lot. Gosh, this is a critical review is it not? But I think you have a great start and it could get to be something really nice ...

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame A lovely tune, another one coming out of sadness but expressing joy. You really phrased this nicely, with a wonderfully controlled accompaniment. One question: When you play the octaves, each note is slightly off from the other but I'm not sure if that was intentional? If it is, perhaps make the second slightly more delayed?

28. ajames - Just a Day Away Very nice, simple but effective. You did a lovely job controlling this to allow the melody to flow, lovely phrasing and some nice dynamics within a limited range.

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose I loved this, and didn't really feel the hestitations too much even though I'm a singer, not a dancer. The introduction was very nicely done, with a great transition into the dance. Although quite controlled, it swings with a very nice rag feel. It was very infectious!

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466 A lovely Scarlatti sonata; sometimes they are played at breakneck speed but giving them space like this allows the delicate harmony and melody to shine. You did a beautiful job of bringing out the melody, nicely phrased and with wonderful control. Loved it!

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano Duets are probably three times harder than solos. This was great, loved it! Your piano is (appropriately) a secondary accompaniment and I think you do that perfectly; it sounds smooth, polished and unobtrusive but full of passion and real musicality. And your wife sounds awesome - I know from my daughter how tricky it can be to make a clarinet sound good and her tone is lovely.

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro Very nice Fantasia, you really brought out the voicing nicely and there was some good dynamic balance. It's a wonderful piece.

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114 This minuet is much harder than people give it credit for. You do a really nice job with it - particularly with the ornaments which can be a real challenge (I will admit I generally play it without!). You balance the voices nicely and have a good contrast between the sections.

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session The parts where you were playing the main theme were nice, you brought out the melody well. It needs more work on the phrasing of that and then it will start to shine more.

35. Ganddalf - Gratulation This is a wonderful piece, you play beautifully. I'm guessing that Peterson-Berger was influenced by Grieg, at least it has a lot of that feeling to me. You bring such life to it, it really flows well with beautiful phrasing and nice dynamics. Very enjoyable.

Kawai K3

#2279466 - 05/21/14 11:21 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Listening to the last of the recital reminds me how far I have yet to go, thanks everyone for listening to my piece and comments of encouragement which are always welcome.

Thanks as always to the behind the scenes crew that make this all possible.

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures A fantastic original, a long time in the making I read but so worth it.

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor Great first submission it really flowed well and was really pleasing to listen to. For eight months this is very good so I think we can safely predict you have a bright future.

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60) Loved the sound of you piano, I want one like that. Terrifically well played and so jolly almost had me in the mood to dance.

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14 Very pleasant piece to listen to, playing completely from ear just amazes me I don’t know how you do it but bravo.

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell Being Scottish there is nothing more I love more than a good old lament. This one is incredibly beautiful on piano and in the vernacular of my old country “could bring a tear to a glass eye”. Trust me that’s high praise indeed.

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1 As someone just taking their first steps into Chopin, I wonder if I will ever be being able to play this one. If I play only half as good as this I will be happy.

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2 You have come so far in nine years what a talent you have I enjoyed these pieces immensely.

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!! Hate to contradict you but I thought you had the “otherworldly” part. That is how it sounded to me, simply magnificent.

#2279491 - 05/22/14 01:06 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: earlofmar]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Listening to the last of the recital reminds me how far I have yet to go, thanks everyone for listening to my piece and comments of encouragement which are always welcome.

Speaking as someone with lots of miles but not much discipline over the miles and not a lot of raw aptitude, I have to say that I am consistently impressed with the musical pieces that you relative newcomers to the piano bring to the recitals and to the forums. You folks consistently demonstrate so much more musicality and passion than so many young players that I've heard and it's a real pleasure to listen to.

Us long timers with non pro chops are in a weird place. For my part, I really groove on the supportive and sharing vibe in these forums... even if maybe I just qualify for the "adult" part of the forum name. There needs to be a "slow but stubborn adult" forum, but until then, I'm really happy to be a part of this place and honestly a huge fan of everyone here.

#2279497 - 05/22/14 01:35 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AZ_Astro Offline

I am so glad to have participated this time around. The diversity of pieces is wonderful which gives me new avenues to explore.

But an unexpected plus was: I fell in love with 3 new songs that I am going to have to learn! (Arrieta is already in my to do file!)

1) #8 8_Octaves - When Rivers Flowed on Mars
2) #28 ajames - Just a Day Away
3) #38 ginko2 - Andontino (Ivan Sings)

I have already started on Ivan Sings. I really love it when a piece captures you so thoroughly that you love playing it, even hands separate.

Edited by AZ_Astro (05/22/14 01:37 AM)

#2279499 - 05/22/14 01:44 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Whizbang]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Whizbang

Speaking as someone with lots of miles but not much discipline over the miles and not a lot of raw aptitude, I have to say that I am consistently impressed with the musical pieces that you relative newcomers to the piano bring to the recitals and to the forums. You folks consistently demonstrate so much more musicality and passion than so many young players that I've heard and it's a real pleasure to listen to.

I can't speak for everyone but thanks for that lovely compliment.

#2279500 - 05/22/14 01:45 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AZ_Astro]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZ_Astro
I am so glad to have participated this time around. The diversity of pieces is wonderful which gives me new avenues to explore.

But an unexpected plus was: I fell in love with 3 new songs that I am going to have to learn!

Totally agree, you can hear so many gems on this site you might otherwise never have heard of.

#2279550 - 05/22/14 07:00 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Last but not least, the European Piano Party 2014 team!
I wanted to listen this pieces together, just because I wanted to have a small sample of the type of sounds we'll hear next 5 July, in Lisbon.

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement - Doris, what a beauty! I think you have made impressive progress. Your technique has become very good, and I notice that you're becoming a real pianist! I look forward to meet you, and hear you play live in EPP2014!

10. CarlosCC - Quietness - C'mon, let's play some more joyful stuff, OK?

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2. - Ah, Beethoven. Jeff, this is realy good. I like the confidence you showed with this Sonata. Very good! I look forward to meet you, and hear you play live in EPP2014!

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta - Cheryl, you've been doing a real good progress! I've been "following" your recent pieces, and I think you're getting more confident in your playing, which is a great, great achievement. I'm not an expert in this kind of music, but I like it very much. Maybe it's just the way you play it? Congratulations, and I'm looking forward to meet you, and hear you play live in EPP2014!

35. Ganddalf - Gratulation - Thanks for bringing Wilhelm Peterson-Berger to this recital - new for me. I'm always looking forward to listen your pieces, because you always do a professional job. You can play any piece in a way that seems easy to do. A remarkable talent. I look forward to meet you, and hear you play live in EPP2014!

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60) - Alessandra, it's amazing the ambience you've created with this piece. I loved the beat that makes the piece very lively and cheerful. You're playing very good. Congratulations! Looking forward to meet you, and hear you play live in EPP2014!

--------------
Thank you to all the members who worked hard to put this recital online.
And congratulations to all the participants!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2279568 - 05/22/14 07:52 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AZ_Astro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Originally Posted By: AZ_Astro
But an unexpected plus was: I fell in love with 3 new songs that I am going to have to learn! (Arrieta is already in my to do file!)

I totally agree, being introduced to new pieces is one of my favorite things about these recitals! A lot of the music in my repertoire these days are pieces I first heard or heard of here. And there are more than a few pieces in this recital I'd like to add to my list. smile

#2279784 - 05/22/14 04:32 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
The last batch for me:

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie Hands down winner of the best name for a piece this time around! Nice playing, could have turned up the bass a little bit and the tempo needs to be a bit steadier. But lovely phrasing, very bouncy - makes me want to dance and I really enjoyed it.

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair This is a beautiful version of the piece, you really do a wonderful job of having the melody really sing with great accompaniment. Love those crashing bass notes! I suspect this is one of those pieces that is deceptively hard to pull off, it sounds greawt!

38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino) Beautiful! You really do a lovely job controlling this piece - very nice interaction between the hands and dealing with some tricky rhythms. Very well phrased and good dynamic range.

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue I bow down to anyone who can pull off one of these fugues - you did a wonderful job of keeping the interleaving voices separated but together.

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose There are all sorts of tempos to this piece; I like it on the slow side but I feel this is a little too slow in parts. On the other hand this gives it plenty of room to breath and it is beautiful. Very nice phrasing, keeping the melody right in the foreground.

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56 Perhaps I'll come back to these one day - they are so fun to play! I'm also going to say that listening to them again after a break I realize - how much more I need to do on the first one which is very sloppy. But the dynamics are a little more varied than I had remembered - at least in the first four.

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses) Fabulous, truly fabulous. If you say there were mistakes, fine but it was totally ready for me! The phrasing, the tempo, the control, the room to breath, it was all first rate.

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures This is what an original composition should be - engaging, with some variety, nice rhythmic shifts, lovely melody and tons of variation and embellishment. Great piece and great playing.

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor Two Telemann fantasias in one recital - joy! I wouldn't worry about the tempo, it's fine as it is. You control it well, there is great separation of the voices. Nice phrasing but perhaps look at varying the dynamics when the phrase is repeated?

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60) Very dancelike, great rhythm. I really liked some of the phrasing in the descending / ascending scales and the crushed notes were excellent, bouncing around like crazy! Infectious!!

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14 There's always room for better but don't under-value this performance. It has good rhythm, a nice swing feel and keeps trucking nicely. The recording spoils it, though ironically it gives it an old-fashioned sound that works! I would like a bit more dynamic range but the phrasing is still nice. Overall I enjoyed it.

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell Ah, yes I remember this theme well. You play it nicely, with great feeling and subtle timing changes. The them is nicely phrased but occasionally the accompaniment is too heavy for the theme which is my only criticism.

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1 For a "throwaway" recording this turned out great. It has a great feel, you have the trills leading into the tune very well done and the arch over the long phrases is great. Loved it!

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2 These are beautifully played intermezzos, they are hard pieces to bring off but you make them sound easy. The phrasing is delightful, the timing very nice and the view of the pieces as a whole is commendable. To record them in one take like this is even better! Fabulous!

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!! This is a wonderful theme that you play so beautifully. It's simple, but full of lovely phrasing and good control. A superb way to close out the recital!

Kawai K3

#2279849 - 05/22/14 07:31 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AZ_Astro Offline

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano
Well - it was quite delightful Sam S. There was a sweetness to the melody and the clarinet shines playing it. There is a joy in there, playing music together, isn't there? Very solid accompaniment and nice brisk pacing in the second part of the suite. Terrific!

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro
Yikes - sounds tough! Lots of ornamentation. I have learned my first Bach piece from the same era and have the same memory issues. Good luck there. I'd continue to work on the trills until they were just right and then play this with abandon. Great job on a challenging piece!

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114
I don't think I use any sustain pedal with this piece either. Fine work!

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session Composer: Brian McKnight Arranged by Richard Bradley
Does this piece have lyrics? Seems like they would fit naturally in this very melodic piece. The melody is charming and you played with grace and sincerity. This piece would sound wonderful on a dark acoustic! Great job.

35. Ganddalf - Gratulation
Very high quality rendition of a charming work. The piece flows nicely with a lot of changes in texture that keep it fresh at all times. Your playing also gives a depth to the piece that makes it pleasant to listen to. Nice introduction of this Swedish composer. Thanks!

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie
Wow - the two voices you chose really work well together on this jaunty and fun piece. You played with a lot of confidence and joy! A lot of work went into polishing that baby. Great job! I'm sure you could pull off this piece in the recital, as it sounds great already!

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair
This is an enchanting version of Scarborough Fair and you played it beautifully. Fantastic job!

38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino)
I loved this. I had heard this piece before and forgotten about it. I'm so glad to have it resurface so that I can learn it. You play it quickly but with a lot of sensitivity. I thought you got the LH/RH balance just right. I'd love to hear the piece again, played a little more slowly and with just the tinyist hint of rubato. But you've got this piece firmly in hand and you play it with great skill and authority. Really fine!

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue
Masterful! That piece really moves along and doesn't let up. You hang in there very well on this challenging piece. Were there any dynamics markings? Super job!

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose
Oh! That's a sweet rendition played with nice touch and timing. I liked the pace of the piece and the sensitivity that you bring to it. Very nice.

Edited by AZ_Astro (05/22/14 07:39 PM)

#2279857 - 05/22/14 08:10 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

45. torquenale- I love the "off note" feel. A very cool, almost carnival like piece. You play it wonderfully.

44. wimpiano- Nice! A great start to the recitals. Short and sweet.

42. Carlos88- Very well done. Lot's of nice colors.

41. Andy P- VERY interesting. I thought you had lot's of dynamic range and I really enjoyed all of them (especially the third). Lots of fun.

#2279869 - 05/22/14 08:52 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Ataru074 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Az_astro thanks... it's Bach in urtext.. no tempo, no dynamic markings, but I have the henle edition with Andras Schiff fingering (very, very minimal).
I'm working hard to polish it with the prelude. I hope in the long weekend to be able to record a clean take with more color.
Mozart: Kv310
Beethoven: Op 14 #2
===============================================

#2279878 - 05/22/14 09:21 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Thanks again to those who listened/commented on my piece. I am, frankly, surprised this time! I guess as we get better we have higher standards for ourselves laugh

And thanks to all those who keep encouraging me about the assisted living/memory care gigs. I'm working on making those less mistake-filled and still have as much fun as when I just figured they'd go how they go. I still try to do that at the gig itself (let it go how it goes), but I'm working on some "back end" things that I'm hoping will make the gigs go more smoothly, music-wise. The rest of it I have no control over whatsoever. But for sure, the audience, or most of them, appreciate it very much. They're at least as forgiving as the ABF!

And to all who comment on any and all - I love reading the comments. They sometimes give me a different perception on many of the pieces, and many times I learn something.

Cathy

#2279941 - 05/23/14 12:41 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AZ_Astro Offline

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56 Composer: Bela Bartok
Exotic indeed. I can see these growing on you the more you play them. As a first time listener to these pieces, I enjoyed the strange and wonderful #3 the most. These were a really interesting choice and I was very happy to hear them. A worthwhile contribution! Thanks.

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses)
I've come to really enjoy several Debussy pieces and these struck me as wonderful examples of his unique style and sound. Your playing was compelling and (hey - nice page turn too!). I liked the piece a lot and thought you did a really fine job with it. It was a very musical presentation, and I was captivated by the sound and was not paying any attention to the technicals. Super!

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures
There is a sensitive refinement to your playing that is very mature and nice to listen to. Dynamics and syncopation, all great! Very enjoyable and pleasant. Great job!

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor
A workmanlike presentation that I think you'll enjoy continuing to polish. Nice counterpoint. You did a nice job with the timing and dynamics. First class!

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60)
So this is what Kabalevsky sounds like! I like the circus metaphor; it seems perfectly apt. Those seconds (intervals) are clever and fun, and I enjoyed your rolling scales. Very entertaining piece! What mistakes? Great job!

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14
Yes, I would agree you could do a lot more with this. But it's still impressive for playing by ear, methinks. Some blues chords in there would really spice it up!

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell
This work evokes deep emotions. Your phrasing is timely and nicely controlled. Seems like a nice piece to have in your repertoire and to play late at night. Thanks for sharing this jewel.

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1
Oh, to be able to play something like this! After you warmed up it was delightful! Good job!

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2 Composer: Brahms
This one requires multiple listens and a thinking cap! You have a lot of talent; seems a shame not to playing a lot of pieces that you enjoy playing. Keep at it and share more with us!

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!!
Glorious! Seems like I've heard this before but - I don't think so. Strikingly beautiful. Played with sensitivity and care for each and every note. Very nice indeed. A superb effort! I listened to the James Rhodes version as well but there are parts of yours I like better! You are close to the top of the mountain with this piece! Awesome!

Edited by AZ_Astro (05/23/14 12:44 AM)

#2279970 - 05/23/14 03:35 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Finally I also found some time to start commenting to this recital. More to come later.

01. dynamobt/Marilyn - Symphony No. 40 1st mvt

This was very enjoyable to listen to. I really liked the way you made out all the fine detail in the music. A piano transcription of a symphony will never be the same as the orchestral edition, but has a great value of its own. Thanks for sharing this.

02. Whizbang (Chris) - Milonga del Angel

Such elegant and pleasant music! Very relaxing to listen to (end even when I relax I have an ear for details and performance). I’m impressed by your playing.

04. Anne H - Discovery At Night

It is obvious that you have worked a lot with this piece. Maybe sounding harder than it actually is, I think that there is actually no such thing as an “easy piano piece”. It was very nice to listen to.

05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei".

Although “Traümerei” is the most famous of these two pieces, “Von fremden Ländern und Menschen” is my favorite. You play both pieces very well. I think you choose the right tempo for “Traümerei”. A pity with the cracking sound from the pedal. Nice to listen to, anyhow.

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv

I’m so impressed by people capable of doing jazz improvisation. You master this art excellently. Thanks for sharing.

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues

Very exiting harmonies of this piece. I think that those of us mainly dealing with classical pieces have a lot to learn from the jazz/blues community. You made a great job with this piece.

08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars

You succeed really well bringing out the melody even while also playing the accompaniment with the same hand. Very well done!

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement

I never played any music by Kuhlau myself, and I realize that it’s a pity. This is really fine music, and I enjoyed your performance of it very much. Look forward to listening to the Rondo.

10. CarlosCC - Quietness

Beautiful piece of music! Interesting harmonies and you have really succeeded expressing your mood through your music. Very well played too.

11. Peyton - Escape

I enjoyed the beautifully drawn slow melodic lines of this piece. Very fine music, beautifully played.

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2.
The second movement of this sonata is a more light-hearted intermezzo between first and last movement, and the sonata would not be the same without it. You give the right character to the music. I’m very glad you decided to play it for this recital.

13. Riddler (Ed) - Love Walked In This is great music. So many exiting chords and harmonies. You really manage to give the music the right shape and flow. It was very enjoyable to listen to your performance.

14. George Schiro - Ambivalence

Lots of creativity here. It must be very nice to be able to just sit down and play like that. Thanks for sharing this!

15. peterws/peter - Gymnopedies 2 & 3

Playing slowly may be just as challenging as performing fast passages. You manage to make beautiful music out of it. Nice flow and fine dynamics. Great job!

16. sinophilia (Diana) - In Church - Op. 39 no. 24

You manage to give the right expression to this piece which is inspired by the Russian choral tradition. Listening to it really gave me a flashback to my visits to churches in Russia and Ukraine. You should be very satisfied with your performance.

#2280004 - 05/23/14 07:38 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Thanks to all who have listened to/commented upon my Recital piece - for those who don't know (or have forgotten) the most tragic (and senseless) event in American history here is this sad theme set against a backdrop of still photos from the "War Between the States":

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2280011 - 05/23/14 08:00 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jazztpt Offline

Some more comments:

11. Peyton - Escape
You seem to have a great afinity with the "minimalistic" (is that a word?) style. As ever beautiful control of the instrument and I really enjoyed listening to your performance of the music.

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2.
Thanks for bringing the 2nd movement to the recital, very nicely played.

13. Riddler (Ed) - Love Walked In
I seem to remember you have played one of these arrangements before on the recital. This was superb, great arangement and interpretation, pro performance all the way.

14. George Schiro - Ambivalence
I really enjoy your improvisations, I would be interested to know how much is pre-arranged, this sounds more of a composition to me but either way it is impressive. Not sure I get the feeling of "Ambivalence" from the music though, sounds very uplifting and positive to me.

15. peterws/peter - Gymnopedies 2 & 3
Great stuff , versatile as an egg you are , all styles , anytime anywhere. Hypnotic music and fits the pictures of space perfectly, now how did Satie do that! Excellent.

16. sinophilia (Diana) - In Church - Op. 39 no. 24
I would never have guessed this is by Tchaikovsky, you play with good control and an even touch, well done.

17. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Torna A Surriento
You obviously enjoyed yourself here and it comes across in your interpretation, a very enjoyable listen.

18. earlofmar - Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121
Very nicely and confidently played.

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta
What a perfectly relaxed performance, enjoyed your Video too, pity it was so short.

20. Newbert - New York State of Mind
A nice change of style for the recital, you play with conviction, not sure what you added but it all worked for me.

Piano Recordings

#2280150 - 05/23/14 03:35 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
20. Newbert - New York State of Mind I confess I don't know much of Billy Joel, but I really liked your performance of this song; great melody, fine accompaniment and a really nice ending. Well done!

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta Good choice Cheryl. Fugues are charming but hard and this Fughetta looks like a good introduction. You play it well, I liked the way you balanced the voices and keep a steady tempo. Brava!

18. earlofmar - Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121 Bach requires a lot of hard work but it is so rewarding at the end. I liked the way you play this Minuet, it's a great achievement for only 18 months at the keyboard!

17. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Torna A Surriento This is a very famous song, and I listened to your interpretation as it was a new one! Great expressivity here. congratulations!

16. sinophilia (Diana) - In Church - Op. 39 no. 24 This seems a solemn piece to me, so I liked the tempo you chose. It's great that you are able to play with such finesse without a teacher. My compliments!

#2280408 - 05/24/14 06:02 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

torquenale (alessandra)

carlos88

jazztpt

sam s

zrtf90

#2280411 - 05/24/14 06:12 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
This is fun smile

#2280429 - 05/24/14 08:11 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Rerun
Thanks to all who participated in this recital, listening is how I learn tunes and techniques and I learn a lot from you guys. Thank you for listening to my submission and critiquing, makes me look forward to this event again with something new to push the envelope a bit further.

I feel the same!

Thanks everyone for listening and for your comments. I would like to follow up on some of what was said but I’ll have to get to that at a later point. Some additional comments:

14. George Schiro - Ambivalence Lovely work. The title suggested a type of mood or atmosphere but when I listened I was really hearing a story being told. While it suggests a feeling, I can sense a greater context.

15. peterws/peter - Gymnopedies 2 & 3 I can definitely relax to this. You did a nice job with the tempo and creating space. This expansive quality is aided by your choice of video.

I wonder what version of Pianoteq you used for this recording?

16. sinophilia (Diana) - In Church - Op. 39 no. 24 This piece is very interesting and works well with your tempo. The somber character pulled me in and I think you did a good job connecting with this music. Actually it was a nice follow up to Peter’s Satie performance.

17. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Torna A Surriento This is a great choice! Very expressive playing.

18. earlofmar - Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121 You play with great clarity and confidence, well beyond your 18 months at the bench. Nice job!

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta Until now I had only heard one thing by this composer. There is something amazing about solving this kind of 'puzzle' and I also enjoy the interplay among many voices. Thanks for sharing.

20. Newbert - New York State of Mind It’s a great song and I think your embellished closing worked quite well.

21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21 Chopin is always difficult to pull off but I think you’ve done quite well with your expressive playing. The rhythmic complexity does add something interesting to the mysterious quality of this piece. I hope you post more Chopin soon.

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts Very artistic playing and the sound is so full and lively. It was really a pleasure to listen.

23. N17 - Dance in G Recording yourself will always be a humbling experience. For 6 months in you are making rapid progress. I wish I could give more detailed feedback but I don’t really have anything to add to what you’ve done here unless I take a look at the score and get picky! I don’t know when students usually start with Bach but I think you would really enjoy some of the little preludes if you haven’t already started on them.

#2280573 - 05/24/14 04:38 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
gingko2 Offline

Loc: MA, USA
AZ Astro, Thanks for your comments. I'm so glad you liked Ivan. I played it again for my piano teacher a few days ago and she thought the tempo was too fast. I had listened to some professional versions that were much faster--but I think I do like it slower. (It's funny, I don't think I've ever played anything "too fast" before in my life, unless it was "Largo." Does that mean I'm getting better--or worse?)

peterws, thanks for your comments. Khachaturian's ballet Gayane's "Adagio" was used in Stanley Kubrick's film 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Thank you, everyone else--casinitaly, SwissMS, Rerun, noobpianist90, Sam S, earlofmar, CarlosCC, torquenale, ShiroKuro, wimpiano, Andy Platt--for your encouraging comments. I know everyone here at ABF is very nice--but it does feel good to know others have listened and liked the piece!

I'm hunkered down with a busy time at work and writing a grad paper (what was I thinking?). I've listened to all the pieces and have enjoyed the recital. This is a great experience and I'm looking forward to the next.

wouter79, Like your comments!

Kawai CA63

working on:

Khachaturian: Andantino, Ivan Goes to a Party
Bach: Invention #6
Bartok: Joc cu Bata
Pachelbel: Ciaccona
Debussy: Jimbo's Lullaby

#2281022 - 05/25/14 08:32 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: gingko2]
AZ_Astro Offline

Originally Posted By: gingko2
AZ Astro, Thanks for your comments. I'm so glad you liked Ivan. I played it again for my piano teacher a few days ago and she thought the tempo was too fast. I had listened to some professional versions that were much faster--but I think I do like it slower. (It's funny, I don't think I've ever played anything "too fast" before in my life, unless it was "Largo." Does that mean I'm getting better--or worse?)

I think a little slower is better, with feeling. But it's still very nice as it is! Slow isn't easy! Every note kind of stands out! It has been a good way for me to hear pedaling problems. By the way, I have spent the past three days memorizing Ivan Sings and I'm just about there! Delightful piece.

I think this version is pretty definitive. (University of Iowa Pedagogy Project.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeVaKkSb5zE

Edited by AZ_Astro (05/25/14 08:36 PM)

#2281213 - 05/26/14 11:36 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
So much great music! Here's a bit more feedback:

24. Mar_red - Love Story This is really lovely. Such a nice sound that you get from your piano. The intro has a nice rich quality that fits quite well. Your ending is very creative and nicely executed. I love this kind of ending where the music seems to go in a different direction. I think it's impressive that you did this deliberately because to my ears you really succeeded with this ending. Overall it was a really great performance!

25. joangolfing - Arietta Thanks for sharing this, I haven't really paid attention to this piece before. I had to listen twice to try and get a better sense of it. I really enjoyed your playing. My only observation is that the very end of the piece seems to cut off a bit prematurely. It sounds like the recording ends before the music. I ended up looking at the score and it seems you could milk that last measure a bit more. Just a thought!

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes I'm surprised I haven't heard a song about pancakes until now. I should have listened to this yesterday (Sunday) because I DID have pancakes yesterday. Nice job with this. Even though you are not singing, your lyrical playing let's me imagine that you are.

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame I really enjoyed this music and you play it very well. I wish I could compose something this nice.

As purely technical feedback, I would be careful with playing in a stretched position. The broken octaves are played fine musically but when you play them it looks like you have a lot of tension. I think it does help just to have awareness of this. If you play these types of passages a lot it can start to become a problem. At least it did for me, that was my main area of tension that contributed to my injury. Sorry if that sounds scary, it took LONG periods of abuse before I started to pay for it. smile
In the short term, the tension will just cause you to get fatigued rather quickly. Reducing tension here is not easy but I think it helps to be aware of it.

28. ajames - Just a Day Away That's a great piece and I love the PW connection. You've done a really great job with this, thanks for sharing.

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose The hesitations and wrong notes are really not noticable! All I could hear is lots of character and confidence in your playing.

#2281278 - 05/26/14 02:38 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
15. peterws/peter - Gymnopedies 2 & 3 This is the first time I heard Gymnopedies 2 & 3, so far I only listened to the first. The others have the same peaceful character. I liked your performance very much, nice touch and the right mood. Bravo!

14. George Schiro - Ambivalence As I always, improvisation is kind of magic for me. I'm not able the genre of you piece, but I really liked it!

13. Riddler (Ed) - Love Walked In Another never-heard piece for me, it is very nice and I find you play it beautifully. Great job!

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2. Great choice! I think the first movement is really overplayed but the second is a gem too. Well played!

11. Peyton - Escape I'm not familiar with Glass music; this piece is really mysterious and charming, with an unexpected part of different mood in the middle. Beautifully played, and your piano sounds great!

#2281641 - 05/27/14 04:29 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
17. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Torna A Surriento

So nice to listen to this melody again. It reminds me of younger days. I never heard a pure piano edition of it, but you obviously found a good one. Thanks for sharing!

18. earlofmar - Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121

Charming little piece. You make a great job with the trills: I also like your dymanics, and the sound of your instrument.

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta

Fine polyphonic playing. You make very fine melodic lines in both voices. I enjoyed very much listening to it.

20. Newbert - New York State of Mind

You music puts me in a good mood. Just very relaxing to listen to your playing.

21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21

Excellent playing! Very fine dynamics and you deal very well with the poly-rhythmics. I can hear you have made a lot of disciplined work to accomplish this.

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts Great creative work. Your music is very enjoyable to listen to. Thanks for sharing!

23. N17 - Dance in G I’m a great Haydn fan, but this piece was unknown to me. Beautiful piece, very elegantly played. You have made amazing progress in a very short time.

24. Mar_red - Love Story Surely I remember this piece. I think you made a lot out of the lead sheet. It must be very nice to be able to add so much creativity to the simple outline. Great playing!

25. joangolfing - Arietta I know my Grieg, of course, and this Lyric piece is no exception. I think you should be very satisfied with your performance. You manage very wall to balance the voices, and play with beautiful flow. Great job!

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes Fun music to listen to. I hope that you also will share a version with vocals some time.

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame

Very nice composition! The melody is beautiful. I also appreciate the way you bring out the melody. Very nice to listen to.

28. ajames - Just a Day Away

Pleasant mood in this piece, and I can hear from your playing that you like the piece. Very inspired playing!

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose

Such a nice nostalgic piece! In spite of the hesitation you mention I can hear that you are a skilled at playing for dancing. I enjoyed listening to you playing.

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466

I realize that I know far too little of Scarlatti’s music. This sonata is a great composition and you play it very well. Although it is a slow piece I can hear that it is quite technically demanding with all the embellishments. Still you manage to play with emotion. Very enjoyable to listen to.

#2281958 - 05/27/14 07:14 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

37.Monica- You know I always look forward to your performance. This is a sweet one. I love how he has interpreted the piece and your playing is wonderful.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
61 registered (angga888, András Lieber, Beemer, 14 invisible), 1084 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325577 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission