2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Newbert
Experience:3-4 years - then 45 years away from piano - now back at it (on and off) for about 9 months
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:New York State of Mind
Composer:Billy Joel
Duration:03:24
Source of music:"The Best of Billy Joel - Easy Piano" (Songbook).
Instrument used:Yamaha DGX640 + Pianoteq Stage
Recording method:Recorded wav thru Pianoteq, then converted to mp3 thru Audacity.
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I've been a fan of Billy Joel for most of my life, so I was happy to find a songbook that's at my level. I've added a number of chords and embellishment at the end, in order to give the piece a bit more "meat". I hope that they add to the overall performance.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MaryBee
Experience:too many years on my own, past 5 years with a teacher
Title of piece:Nocturne in C minor, No. 21
Composer:Chopin
Duration:03:55
Source of music:Chopin Complete Preludes, Nocturnes and Waltzes (Schirmer) - a Christmas present from my husband smile
Instrument used:Charles Walter 1520 upright
Recording method:Tascam DR-08. Converted to MP3 using Audacity.
Additional info:I've been wanting to learn a Chopin Nocturne for quite a while now, but after two themed recitals back-to-back, I needed to find a piece that I could learn fairly quickly. This one was perfect; it is, I think, one of Chopin's easiest, yet it is also quite beautiful. I love the simple, mysterious nature of it, and the sweeping movement enhanced by some interesting composite rhythms: 5-against-2, 3-against-2, 14-against-4, 9-against-4, and 7-against-2. I'm now looking forward to working on some more Chopin Nocturnes in the future.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mr Super Hunky
Experience:9 plus some
Title of piece:Everybody Hurts
Composer:R.E.M / M.S.H
Duration:03:19
Source of music:Original cover of a cover [The Coors covering R.E.M] which makes this an authentic double cover!
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB.
Recording method:Partially broken Zoom H2 into Audacity.
Additional info:Lunch is always the same consisting of a fermented vegetable medley with fermented Sauerkraut along with some chicken, brown rice crackers w/ black bean hummus dip. Drinks are water and a few gulps of raw milk kefir.

As far as being back on the mighty Mason BB... well, it is just incredible. The never ending resonance this piano is capable of producing is enough to tickle anyone's fancy. And it feels pretty good too! I Luv it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:N17
Experience:About 5.5 months
Title of piece:Dance in G
Composer:Joseph Haydn
Duration:00:47
Source of music:Sheet music in Piano Handbook by Humphries
Instrument used:Casio CDP-120
Recording method:Digital to PC with audacity
Additional info:I'm not sure the number of the dance but it's one by Haydn that's included in the pieces in the Piano Handbook which I'm working through along with lessons with a teacher 1-2 times a month. Recording for this recital (my first) has been a humbling experience. I thought I had this piece down a while back....until recording. Listening to the recording and hearing the mistakes/potential for improvement is both frustrating and motivating. There are definitely some dynamic/tempo problems I hadn't noticed before...along with a completely wrong note. Don't hold anything back with any feedback needed!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mar_red
Experience:Self-taught since 2007
Title of piece:Love Story
Composer:Francis Lai
Duration:03:24
Source of music:Lead sheets (only melody and chords)
Instrument used:Schimmel "baby upright" 40" 1972
Recording method:1. The t.bone SC 140 Stereoset microphones
2. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface
3. Audacity
Additional info:"Love Story", who doesn't know it?
Just pure beautiful melody.
I tried to do my best with my arrangement of it and to play it as beautifully as I am capable. I'm not sure if I succeeded...

One more thing, I always try to add an intro and an ending to my renditions.

This time at the beginning I went from Am 7 (the song is in Am key) or Am9 (I'm not sure, I am not able to play such runs two times in the same way melodically wise and rhythmically wise, I don't have to, there is no sheet music and at the same time it's a pure joy if your fingers can fly over the keyboard, to a great degree, "as they like" - really) to E7 through GM7, FM7 (or GM9, FM9). I think it's a little bit weird but interesting chord progression , at least I like it smile.

At the ending I went from Am7 (or Am9 as you already know) to GM7 through GbM7, so I ended in different and, to my knowledge, totally unrelated key!

I hope you will like my version of this beautiful song,my playing and my harmonical experiments smile.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:10+
Title of piece:Arietta
Composer:Edvard Grieg
Duration:01:18
Source of music:Complete Lyric Pieces for Piano, Dover Publications
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1 Grand Piano
Recording method:Zoom H2, Audacity
Additional info:I'm back to another Grieg Lyric piece. Arietta has many subtleties. I worked with the 3 independent voices. The soprano should be heard over the arpeggio in the middle voice and the bass in the third voice. All of them blend together. I know more work is needed and I will return to this piece again some time.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sand Tiger
Experience:2 years 2 months
Home page link:http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Pancakes
Composer:Sand Tiger
Duration:01:46
Source of music:Original song with lyrics
Instrument used:Casio PX150 digital
Recording method:Recorded on the Casio, then to the voice recorder, to the computer, to Audacity to boost the volume.
Additional info:This song with lyrics came out of the Coursera on songwriting earlier in 2014. There are two bars of intro music and the lyrics begin with:

Pancakes (E major)
I remember Sunday mornings
a kid without a care
scent of melting butter
sizzling in the air

Bedtime stories, pillow fights
tender kisses, warm goodnights

Daddy's making pancakes for me
shows me that he cares
fluffy golden pancakes for me
my happy dance on air

Through my sad times
through my bad times
dad was always there

The curious can view the rest and a bit of the story at my blog:
http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/

I have not recorded a version with vocals yet--I am not much of a singer.

Enjoy.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:(Was)TrueBeginner
Experience:6 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/zHQjoNiqmxk
Title of piece:Blame
Composer:Original
Duration:03:14
Source of music:Self-composition
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1M
Recording method:Recorded using Flip nano, extracted and normalized sound using Audacity.
Additional info:Usually for this time of the year, I used to submit something for mother's day. But this time I like to dedicate this song for my dad. He is 91. A month ago, he was hospitalized for a fall, but they found out he had an incurable disease, so his time might not be for long. With all the things going on, I did not got a chance to prepare a good piece for the recital, but I think I should submit something to dedicate to him and all the parents in the world. Sorry to go back to a somber mood in this piece.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ajames
Experience:10 months
Title of piece:Just a Day Away
Composer:Ben Crosland
Duration:02:03
Source of music:Cool Beans, Vol. 1
Instrument used:Kawai 350
Recording method:Zoom H4n
Additional info:I really enjoy this type of music, it's a great change of pace from Alfred's pieces and hundred year old "Album for the Young" bits about dolls and such (Tchaikovsky recital people know what I'm talking about).

The composer, Ben Crosland, and his publisher (Nikolas) are Piano World regulars, that's how I originally learned of the "Cool Beans" collection.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:jotur/Cathy Turner
Experience:2 years of lessons in my early teens, 30+ years off, playing for dancing since 1995, playing for assisted living venues since 2009.
Title of piece:Second Hand Rose
Composer:music: James F. Hanley, lyrics: Grant Clarke
Duration:03:01
Source of music:Sheet music, 1921/1965. Found in a thrift store
Instrument used:Casio PX-100
Recording method:keyboard to computer, audacity
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:They ran out of plates at the pot luck between the Balkan singing concert and the contra dance, so I ate finger foods, like cookies and brownies smile Then I felt a little sick, so I came home and recorded instead of staying for the dance.

I got lucky, or maybe just tired, and this is the first and only recording. Cpl of hesitations, less usual for me, and enough wrong notes that if the seniors had been singing along it would have befuddled them. I think that's why I prefer dancers - I can more often than not keep going because I'm a dancer and it's the pulse that's natural and it doesn't disrupt the dancers, but singing requires melody note good and I don't do that so well, and it *does* disrupt singers, and they notice. Dancers could, in my experience, care less. I'm always sorry if I've interrupted the singers' flow. Nonetheless, there are things I like about this and I think are better than I've done before - more appropriate use of detached notes to give it a little lift, for one. I don't get as much lift from the bass as usual - this dosn't make me want to dance, tho I tap my foot - but someday this stuff is going to come together smile

Lunch - hm. I forget laugh

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:http://youtu.be/GLXfBMY9vLU
Title of piece:Sonata in F minor, K466
Composer:Scarlatti
Duration:05:05
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Kawai CS6 digital piano
Additional info:Due to being a bit busier at this time of the year, I didn't have the time to polish up the Brahms Intermezzo so I decided to perform this Scarlatti instead.

I prefer to play this piece slow and soft, and like to describe it as a melancholic, isolated introspective contemplation. It's amazing how well this piece sounds when performed on a piano, when it was originally written for harpsichord. It almost feels romantic in some parts. Although technically very simple, trying to determine the ideal amount of pedalling in a piece like this is indeed challenging. The absence of any pedalling will end up making the piece too 'dry', while too much pedalling will just blur the notes into a mess.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:a lot
Video link:http://youtu.be/Axd5tZ7jODQ
Title of piece:Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano
Composer:Paul Reade
Duration:05:28
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L and a Buffet Clarinet
Recording method:Only one microphone, near the camera, so I'm guessing that's not the best for two instruments. But you could fill a book with what I don't know about recording...
Additional info:Laurie, on clarinet, is my wife! We celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary a couple of months ago. She found this piece somewhere - I understand it is the theme from a British TV show? I've never seen it. The recording has the first and last movements, so I spliced them together. The video is actual video of us playing together.

Laurie is a restarter on clarinet, playing again after not playing for over 30 years. So be kind in your comments!

Of course there is no excuse for me. I should be an old veteran at making recordings. But adding another instrument adds another order of magnitude of difficulty. I'm trying to listen to her, trying to read the music, trying to stay together, trying to play through my mistakes - no stopping allowed! We hope to play this at Summerkeys in July.

So its way more stressful than it should be.

The piano part is much harder than it sounds. Octaves in the right hand, arpeggios in tenths, and it doesn't fit the hand all that well. But it's fun to play.

Hope you like it!

This will be possibly be my last recital until 2015. I'm going on a 2185+ mile walk - the Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia, starting in mid-July. But I'll be back!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:outo
Experience:3 (+ childhood lessons)
Title of piece:Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro
Composer:Georg Philipp Telemann
Duration:02:03
Source of music:Barenreiter (ed. Max Seiffert), but used another score (Schott) as well for fingering suggestions.
Instrument used:Yamaha U1 Silent, acoustic mode, waiting to be tuned.
Recording method:Canon Ixus 960 IS
Additional info:The piece is something I worked earlier this spring with my teacher and liked it enough to try to properly memorize and polish it. It was a challenge to find good fingerings, had to make a lot of changes and I struggle a bit with the memory part. So a WIP still, sorry for the mistakes.
Did not include the shorter Dolce section, which I haven't been playing much.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:noobpianist90
Experience:Started piano in 2003. Restarted in June 2013 after a 4 year break
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKXXh517RPo
Title of piece:Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114
Composer:Christian Petzold
Duration:01:36
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-150
Recording method:Line-in Cable using audacity
Additional info:I haven't used any sustain pedal in this since I'm trying to break my habit of overusing it

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Piano_Primo_1
Experience:5 years, self taught
Video link:http://vimeo.com/95042138
Title of piece:"Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session
Composer:Brian McKnight Arranged by Richard Bradley
Duration:04:38
Source of music:Video
http://vimeo.com/95042138
Score pages (4)
http://postimg.org/gallery/363etfg9c/
Instrument used:Casio PX 100
Recording method:Digital to computer -windows movie maker , then converted video to .mp3 audio.
Additional info:Score Arranged by Richard Bradley
Re- upload Long piece ( with coda's, 1rst and 2nd repeat endings ,,, recorded in 1 session. Played thru any pause or near mistakes .
4 min 37 sec.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ganddal
Experience:Can't remember anymore
Title of piece:Gratulation
Composer:Wilhelm Peterson-Berger
Duration:02:33
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1
Recording method:Zoom
Additional info:Wilhelm Peterson-Berger (1867 - 1942) was a Swedish composer. He composed a lot of music including 5 symphonies and 2 operas. In addition to this he wrote many shorter pieces, and I have made recordings of three small piano pieces from a collection called "Frosoblomster" ("Froso flowers"). For the recital I selected one of them, the two remaining ones ("Sommarsang" and "Vid Froso kyrka") I'm going to present under the May piano bar after the release of this recital. The two latter pieces are the most popular of his piano pieces.
Unfortunately the music of Peterson-Berger is little known outside Sweden. I hope you will enjoy my presentation of music written by this fine composer.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ohio_Mark
Experience:2+
Title of piece:Beach Buggy Boogie
Composer:Martha Mier
Duration:01:21
Source of music:Jazz Rags and Blues
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CVP505
Recording method:to USB
Additional info:One of the things that I enjoy with the Clavinova is experimenting with the different voices. For this piece I have a piano setting for the bass harmony and a steel guitar playing the melody.

I have a live recital coming up in June and I think I might be playing this piece in the recital. Easy enough and I think I can sludge through any nervous breakdowns I might have. It will be my first ever live recital.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:Nearly 10 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/d857u4Opwyk
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Scarborough Fair
Composer:David Nevue (arr.)
Duration:03:49
Source of music:Sheet music, obtained from David's site: wwww.davidnevue.com
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:mp3 file recorded using Zoom H4, normalized in Audacity; video recorded on Zoom Q3.
Additional info:David Nevue gives this traditional melody a unique and lovely spin with his arrangement, adding two bridges and nice ornamentations. This piece is a heck of a lot of fun to play, and it's one I'm planning on keeping in my permanent repertoire. It's also the first piece I've played that requires several measures to be played WITHOUT the pedal. I felt naked. laugh Lunch was Lean Cuisine spaghetti and meatballs.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:gingko2
Experience:returning adult, on and off many years
Title of piece:Ivan Sings (Andantino)
Composer:Aram Khachaturian
Duration:01:22
Source of music:Schirmer Edition, Selected Piano Works-Intermediate to Early Advanced, Aram Khachaturian
Instrument used:Kawai CA63
Recording method:digital to PC, Audacity for amplification
Additional info:This is the first piece in a suite called "Adventures of Ivan." The whole set is playful and expressive. I'd like to learn them all.

Getting the left hand even and soft enough is a challenge. Getting the right hand even is difficult too. Tried to accent some notes and change dynamics but some notes stick out. Still trying to get rid of the "banging" sound.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ataru074
Experience:10+ Total, restarted less than 5 years ago.
Title of piece:BWV 866 Fugue
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:02:20
Source of music:Bach Well Tempered Clavier vol 1 - Henle
Instrument used:Kawai, GS-30
Recording method:Zoom H4, Shure SM 81 mics in ORTF setup. Piano 1/4 stick.
Additional info:Fumbled here and there... but first and only take, no editing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission