2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Copper
Experience:9
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:To a Wild Rose
Composer:Edward MacDowell
Duration:02:47
Source of music:The Library of Piano Classics
Instrument used:Yamaha P-250
Recording method:Connected the Yamaha P-250 to the computer
Technical feedback wanted:Yes

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Andy Platt
Experience:Years of noodling, four years of lessons
Title of piece:Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56
Composer:Bela Bartok
Duration:06:22
Source of music:Alfred Masterwork Edition
Instrument used:Kawai K3
Recording method:Zoom H1 and Audacity
Additional info:I've grown to really like this piece. It's six dances, some upbeat, some more laid back. The harmonies are simpler when you analyze than might appear - Bartok was great at just subtly changing one note and making things sound very exotic but - at the same time - grounded. A number of times he will repeat the melody with different harmonies.

I recorded the first five dances in one take. That wasn't really my intention, I just kept going and there it was. So there are small bumps in most of the dances which I could have avoided if I had recorded each separately until I got a good take. But I felt the "whole" was more consistent.

The sixth, though, I couldn't get in the same recording because I was playing from memory and it wasn't memorized. So that was recorded a few weeks later.

One thing that I feel I haven't brought out is enough dynamic range. It's funny, when I play them I feel the dynamics but they aren't coming through in the recording very well.

Oh, and I used the correct characters for Bela's name originally but it didn't come through correctly so I've reverted to the Anglicized version.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:carlos88
Experience:year 3 back as an adult
Title of piece:From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses)
Composer:Debussy
Duration:04:44
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha
Recording method:Zoom H4 + Audacity
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Not quite ready for the recital - about 2-3 more weeks of work left on the piece. The mistakes right now were in places that weren't surprising.

Recorded it about 10 times, sounded way too fast in some of the parts. Something to work on next.

I'm not sure what Debussy had in his sketchbook, but to me, it's all quiet ocean and moonlight, waves moving in and out.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jazztpt (Russ)
Experience:38+
Title of piece:Pictures
Composer:Jazztpt
Duration:02:34
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Roland HP507
Recording method:Direct to Piano then converted to MP3 in Audacity
Additional info:I wrote this tune a few years ago but have been workng on this arrangent of it for about a year on and off. I was going to submit it to the recital previously but found I couldn't actually play it very well. Finally thought it was ready but when I came to record it a few weeks ago I found I was mistaken!
Boy did I have trouble getting this recorded, brain going blank , fingers not working , fingers like bananas when the red light went on. I am sure you all know the drill.
This was to be my last try and I managed a version of it though far from where I want it to be, I speed up and play it too fast for my fingers but hey , keep practicing.

I titled it Pictures for no other reason than I have taken up photography and "pictures" are on my mind :-)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:wimpiano
Experience:Started October 2013
Title of piece:Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor
Composer:Georg Philipp Telemann
Duration:00:52
Source of music:Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1
http://www.alfred.com/Products/Essential-Keyboard-Repertoire-Volume-1--00-501C.aspx
Instrument used:Schimmel 116S, 1999
Recording method:Tascam DR-07 MK2
Additional info:Thanks for listening. This is my first submission.
It is meant to be faster but that's above my current ability.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:torquenale (alessandra)
Experience:Started again October 2011 (some useless years as a child - teen)
Title of piece:Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60)
Composer:Dmitri Kabalevsky
Duration:01:22
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Apollo upright
Recording method:Zoom H4n - normalized in Audacity and converted into mp3 format
Additional info:A nice little piece, in the middle part it makes me think to a Fellini circus.
Sorry for the mistakes!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:rerun
Experience:7+ years at PianoMagic
Title of piece:Tipitina 5 14 14
Composer:Professor Longhair
Duration:03:07
Source of music:played by ear
Instrument used:Celviano AP-24
Recording method:Recorded from DP speakers to Audacity with laptop/internal mike sitting nearby ... 1st take and completely unedited including volume and with no piano sound fonts used .... sorry about the dead air time at the start and finish and the clangors.
Additional info:Having barely looked at the dp in the last month, I was planning to post a version of Tipitina closer to the version Longhair plays, but my RH hand isn't there yet so I went with an easier version.

You guys deserve better than this, but rather than pass this recital up because of little prep time I decided to just post something (if it wasn't an absolute train wreck) and hope my calendar is not a mess before the next recital. Peanut butter crackers for lunch.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:TrapperJohn
Experience:9+
Title of piece:Ashokan Farewell
Composer:Jay Ungar (Arrangement by Dan Coates)
Duration:02:54
Source of music:Sheet Music from Alfred
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CP-301
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:"Ashokan Farewell" gained worldwide fame when it was chosen to serve as the recurring theme of Ken Burns' masterful 1990 PBS TV documentary miniseries "The Civil War". It is heard numerous times, in whole or in part, throughout the multi-part series, usually appearing during the most tragic and saddest segments. This is entirely appropriate because, although it is a waltz, it is a waltz in the form of a Scottish Lament. The version heard during the series has the composer on violin with his wife accompanying on guitar.

Just about every piece of music heard throughout "The Civil War" - and there is a lot of it - is music from that era. "Ashokan Farewell" is not. It was composed in 1982 as a farewell or goodbye salute or tribute to the students who attended Ungar's music camp near the Ashokan Reservoir in New York. Ken Burns later heard it and quickly snatched it up as the theme of his documentary - one more stroke of genius among many connected with that miniseries.

The version I play here is an easy piano arrangement by the ubiquitous and talented Dan Coates. This is an updated rendition of this piece that I had submitted to a Recital a few years ago. I decided to re-record it because (1) I think it's a wonderful piece of music that I love playing and which I thought I could improve upon; and (2) the piece I was working on for quite some time for this Recital, "The Phantom of the Opera", was far too long and complicated - given the time and effort invested in my other current hobbies - to get into a recordable state in time. Next Recital...maybe...

Hope you enjoy,

Trapper

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Richard (zrtf90)
Experience:oh, loads.
Title of piece:Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:12
Additional info:This is a pre-recording that I planned my work around then life interrupted.

I've played the piece for years but it needed refreshing. I still have it to do.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Pathbreaker (Tarik)
Experience:13 years
Title of piece:Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2
Composer:Brahms
Duration:08:29
Source of music:sheet
Recording method:Audacity. Both played in single take. It was hard to be satisfied with both in any given take. Usually one was good and the other bad. This one I prefer the A major and the A minor is kind of not what I wanted but will do.
Additional info:The first Intermezzo is a new piece that I didn't really intend to learn but somehow got sucked in. To justify learning it I decided to re-learn the A major intermezzo because I think it is a piece that's worth keeping in my repertoire.

Some background:

I started playing piano at the age of 20 with no experience in music. I had become really obsessed with classical piano and decided to find a teacher to learn how to play. I stayed with the same teacher for my first three years and then moved on for various reasons. It was at this time that I found Piano World and found a great deal of encouragement and guidance. A few years later I took a long hiatus after basically 'quitting' piano and did not really visit this forum. For the last two years I slowly got back into playing but I've only played for myself and nobody ever hears me play. Luckily there are these wonderful recitals so that I can have the motivation to play much more!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Valencia
Title of piece:Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!!
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:02:25
Additional info:A last minute decision to submit this piece! The 3rd movement of Beethoven's wonderful sonata Op. 109 is written as a set of 6 variations on a theme. Here I've only submitted the theme. If you've never heard the 3rd movement or the entire sonata for that matter then I encourage doing so as it is breathtakingly beautiful . By the sixth variation the piece is otherworldly, and yet in the end, there is a return to the simple and enduring theme. One of my favorite performances is by James Rhodes and can be found here (with added captions in the video so you know when each variation begins) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ayD3BjplY

The theme is extremely challenging and a work-in-progress. Some skills I'm working on to play it successfully are striking the notes together so they sound at exactly the same time (within intervals or chords) and my touch on the keys (so that each note isn't like a stomp on the eardrum). Right now I'm really focused on sounding the notes together and so my dynamics are on the flat side. I also like the way James Rhodes detaches the notes on the repeat of the first few bars and while I tried to do that here, I have not yet mastered it.

Thanks for listening!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission