Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
130 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 35 invisible), 1622 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2277473 - 05/17/14 01:21 PM Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question...
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
...or perhaps one of many knowledgeable folks on this forum.

In the spring 2014 edition of the Piano Buyer this quote caught my attention:

"The first and best way to avoid problems with room acoustics is to buy a piano that's the right size for the room. Too large a piano can overload a room with sound, while one that's too small may not be heard equally well in all parts of the space. A rule of thumb: Assuming a ceiling height of eight feet, the combined lengths of the four walls should be at least ten times the length of a grand piano or the height of a vertical."

Here is my question: How does that rule of thumb change if your ceiling height is nine feet (or taller)?

Thanks.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2277477 - 05/17/14 01:25 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Oh Man Brian!

I just woke up.......nobody told me there would be math questions this morning! I haven't even finished my coffee yet

#2277480 - 05/17/14 01:33 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
A454.7 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manywheres
It doesn't change anything...at all: a piano's size has nothing to do with whether or not it will function in a room.

You might want to consider--all other things being equal--the amount of energy delivered to the strings via the action should be the same on all pianos, regardless of the size of the piano. A bigger soundboard doesn't equate to more volume (i.e., it is not a speaker), it is actually slightly less--particularly in the melodic section.

The size matters aspect comes in with the thinner bass strings in longer pianos. You should get the biggest piano you can afford, if a better balanced sound is what you are after. Everything else can be adjusted.

#2277486 - 05/17/14 01:54 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: A454.7]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the info! This is kind of what I thought.

It just seemed strange to me that a "sizing formula" this specific was mentioned in that article.

Besides, I'm kind of "locked in" to my piano/room size combination. So far we are extremely pleased with our piano's performance in the room we have chosen.

#2277508 - 05/17/14 02:38 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: BrianDX
...or perhaps one of many knowledgeable folks on this forum.

"The first and best way to avoid problems with room acoustics is to buy a piano that's the right size for the room. Too large a piano can overload a room with sound, while one that's too small may not be heard equally well in all parts of the space. A rule of thumb: Assuming a ceiling height of eight feet, the combined lengths of the four walls should be at least ten times the length of a grand piano or the height of a vertical."

Here is my question: How does that rule of thumb change if your ceiling height is nine feet (or taller)?

You can safely ignore this rule of thumb. Hopefully you'll be able to get your thumb out of the way before any real damage is done.

This question has come up several time on Piano Forum (though I don't know the topic titles). And the answer is still the same: Of far greater importance is the fundamental design of the piano (large or small) and its voicing.

In the dealer's showroom if a short piano seems a little bright to you it is probably going to drive you out (almost certainly smaller) room in your home. If the voice of a longer piano comes off a little on the soft side in that same showroom it will probably be about right in your home.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2277531 - 05/17/14 03:27 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
If a train departs Haverhill, MA at 9:00 am, and a train leaves Elkhart, IN exactly 5 minutes later, what time will the ship arrive from Tianjin?

Then again, vaulted ceilings cause all sorts of havoc with piano shipping.

crazy

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2277542 - 05/17/14 03:59 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
Beacon Chris Offline

Loc: Idaho
Here's one for you, Carbonblob, et.al.:

My grandson is about as many days as my son in weeks, and my grandson is as many months as I am in years. My grandson, my son and I together are 120 years. Can you tell me my age in years ?

I never had much interest in the piano until I realized that every time I played, a girl would appear on the piano bench to my left and another to my right. - Duke Ellington

#2277564 - 05/17/14 05:14 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
Bosendorff Offline

#2277590 - 05/17/14 06:38 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: Beacon Chris]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Beacon Chris
Here's one for you, Carbonblob, et.al.:

My grandson is about as many days as my son in weeks, and my grandson is as many months as I am in years. My grandson, my son and I together are 120 years. Can you tell me my age in years ?

I'd say 72.

#2277596 - 05/17/14 06:59 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York

In other words, never put a piano in a triangle-shaped room.
Richfield Springs, New York

#2277602 - 05/17/14 07:11 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: Eric Gloo]
Voltara Offline

Originally Posted By: Eric Gloo
A rule of thumb: Assuming a ceiling height of eight feet, the combined lengths of the four walls should be at least ten times the length of a grand piano or the height of a vertical."

I think we can make an exception, as long as it's tuned in Equilateral Temperament.

#2277607 - 05/17/14 07:26 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: Voltara]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Originally Posted By: Voltara
Originally Posted By: Eric Gloo
A rule of thumb: Assuming a ceiling height of eight feet, the combined lengths of the four walls should be at least ten times the length of a grand piano or the height of a vertical."

I think we can make an exception, as long as it's tuned in Equilateral Temperament.

Good One !!!

#2277639 - 05/17/14 09:27 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK this is fun; I just Googled "Equilateral Temperament" and this post came up first smile

I think we're making history here...

#2277643 - 05/17/14 09:45 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
Minnesota Marty Offline

That makes cents.

#2277709 - 05/18/14 12:51 AM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: Minnesota Marty]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Certainly resonates with me.

#2277767 - 05/18/14 04:34 AM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Another dynamic to consider: When we pulled the carpet out of the room, "volume" on our little Hamilton grand 4'10" increased by at least 50%. Close your eyes and you'd think a 7' piano was playing. Much to think about when deciding upon acoustics and placement.

#2277784 - 05/18/14 05:56 AM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
Withindale Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Pianos seem to be tolerant of room size. Here's a rough and ready recast of the Piano Buyer rule of thumb. It indicates "preferred" and "maximum recommended" piano models, based on the smaller wall length:

8': upright
10': upright or baby grand, up to 165 mm
12': large upright or small grand, up to 195 mm
15': 180-190 mm grand, up to semi-concert grand
20': semi-concert grand, up to concert grand
30': concert grand.

Edited by Withindale (05/18/14 06:04 AM)

#2277900 - 05/18/14 12:57 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
Beacon Chris Offline

Loc: Idaho
PatH - you got it.

I am 72 years old.

Let m be my age in years. If s is my son's age in years, then my son is 52s weeks old. If g is my grandson's age in years, then my grandson is 365g days old. Thus,
365g = 52s.
Since my grandson is 12g months old,
12g = m.
Since my grandson, my son and I together are 120 years,
g + s + m = 120.
The above system of 3 equations in 3 unknowns (g, s and m) can be solved as follows.
m / 12 + 365 m / (52 x 12) + m = 120 or
52 m + 365 m + 624 m = 624 x 120 or
m = 624 x 120 / 1041 = 72.
So, I am 72 years old.

I never had much interest in the piano until I realized that every time I played, a girl would appear on the piano bench to my left and another to my right. - Duke Ellington

#2277909 - 05/18/14 01:15 PM Re: Maybe the folks at Piano Buyer can answer this question... [Re: BrianDX]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
slow down guys! I'm still working on the "price of tea" thing!

Beacon: did you ever see the opening of the movie "scanners"? yeah, that's me sitting next the doctor! Thanks.....now I have no head and the room is a mess.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
21 minutes 41 seconds ago
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
48 minutes 18 seconds ago
E4 Just Won't Come Into Tune
by Cobra1365
Today at 03:49 PM
10k budget for a piano in SW Ontario
by bogdan101
Today at 03:47 PM
Roland PHA3 action, graded?
by stamkorg
Today at 02:54 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159404 Topics
2341570 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission