Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2280138 - 05/23/14 02:59 PM I found a music academy in my area (any thoughts?)
JohnnyP702 Offline

I wanted an opinion from those of you who have taken lessons as adults. What do you think about this local program? They did mention that they have difficulty filling an adult class so I may have to opt for their private lessons package.

http://www.nsamusic.org/index.php?path=NSA_PROGRAMS/NSA_PIANO_PROGRAM

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2280214 - 05/23/14 06:27 PM Re: I found a music academy in my area (any thoughts?) [Re: JohnnyP702]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: JohnnyP702
I wanted an opinion from those of you who have taken lessons as adults. What do you think about this local program? They did mention that they have difficulty filling an adult class so I may have to opt for their private lessons package.

http://www.nsamusic.org/index.php?path=NSA_PROGRAMS/NSA_PIANO_PROGRAM

Probably has something to do with the security clearance required to enter the classroom where it's taught. cry

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2280233 - 05/23/14 07:16 PM Re: I found a music academy in my area (any thoughts?) [Re: JohnnyP702]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Ha ha rerun!
It is a different NSA!

#2280255 - 05/23/14 08:21 PM Re: I found a music academy in my area (any thoughts?) [Re: JohnnyP702]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
did not particularly appeal to me. The mention of a group class fills me with dread, lectures and presentation while they might be beneficial just sound like filler.

I think if you are considering tuition there is nothing more beneficial than one on one sessions. For those concerned about money (and who is not) then fortnightly lessons are an option.

#2280309 - 05/23/14 10:45 PM Re: I found a music academy in my area (any thoughts?) [Re: JohnnyP702]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
A friend of mine took classroom system piano lessons at a local music academy. He found it really inefficient. Apparently, they were all taught the same thing, and they each practised with headphones on a digital piano and then the teacher would go listen to each one separately and correct them.

In my opinion, learning piano should be one on one with the teacher, at least at the initial stages. I would say go for the private lessons if you're serious about the piano. Once one has crossed the beginner threshold and can call himself/herself an intermediate/advanced player, I think, by that point, group learning with lectures on technique, etc. would be helpful, but not, IMO at the beginner stage.

#2280329 - 05/23/14 11:32 PM Re: I found a music academy in my area (any thoughts?) [Re: JohnnyP702]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Community Music schools are generally great environments for all ages and skill levels. They offer ensemble and performance opportunities in a shared facility, along with your private lessons.

The learning potential of group lessons is too great to be ignored. Group lessons where you play for each other and are critiqued by your fellow students and your teacher are tremendous learning experiences for everyone involved. Seeing how other students are applying the pedagogy and how your teacher critiques other students is invaluable. The encouragement and appreciation fellow students have for each others work and artistic efforts makes for a very enjoyable time.

I can only say, "Go for it."

Enjoy

#2280358 - 05/24/14 01:40 AM Re: I found a music academy in my area (any thoughts?) [Re: JohnnyP702]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

As someone who started private instruction as a kid, I can't really attest to how group lessons work in practice.

I think these might be an okay way to start piano, but realize that for most people who choose to study formally, piano is or becomes an apprenticeship. My teach doesn't talk about the group lessons he took at university. He talks about the teachers who mentored him (as I talk about him as a mentor.)

People learn music at DRASTICALLY different rates. Group classes will constrain you to materials that cater to the slowest student among the group. When everyone's starting, that is probably okay. After a while, if you go with instruction, you need someone who can look specifically at you, know you as a student, and deal with where you are.

It's not like private instruction will suddenly superpower you. It's more that you're not having to have a teacher that's compromising instruction due to the need to serve 8 people. Burden is still on you but you have an ally (hopefully)

#2280630 - 05/24/14 07:17 PM Re: I found a music academy in my area (any thoughts?) [Re: JohnnyP702]
JohnnyP702 Offline

Well, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to meet with one of the private tutors next week and hopefully I don't pass out when they tell how much it will cost. I know the private lessons are more expensive than the group class. I'm tired of wasting money on all these online piano lessons.

#2280657 - 05/24/14 09:07 PM Re: I found a music academy in my area (any thoughts?) [Re: JohnnyP702]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: JohnnyP702
.. I'm tired of wasting money on all these online piano lessons.

Could you share your experiences ?

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
25 minutes 43 seconds ago
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
Today at 05:10 AM
recording digital piano
by johan d
Today at 03:38 AM
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
Who's Online
59 registered (anotherscott, 36251, andwi, 12 invisible), 1142 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158409 Topics
2326281 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission