Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2280699 - 05/24/14 11:49 PM New Journey -- On Organ!
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
I decided to embark on another journey. Last week I got my first keyboard with organ. This is a Nord Electro 4 HP 73. The organ is not a sample but is completely controllable like an authentic Hammond B3. This is so different from piano!

All the control that you develop for your fingers for articulation, touch, tone, dynamics now has to translated to switches, drawbars, and pedals. Whew!

This is a sample playing after one week, which isn't much but it's sounding reasonable with attempts at dynamics and such.

https://app.box.com/s/m3af9crarc9slxmc180q
(note that the bass and drums are from a backing track - iRealB).

I'm not attempting too do too much "organ-ny" kind of moves yet (there's a lot). For example, I'm playing legato here like a piano but an organ is different because you have to pay attention not just to key press but to key release.

And it's amazing how there's like a gazillion adjustments you can make on the tone.

BTW, I've been critiqued that I'm not playing on an "organ" but a "clonewheel". A true organ is those 400 lb beasts in wood. But close enough!

Anyway, I'll report on occasion to describe the process I'm undertaking here. Hopefully I remain excited for the long run.

...and no, piano is still #1 for me. This is just to open up more gigging opportunities.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2280701 - 05/24/14 11:54 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Wow, sounds amazing

#2280702 - 05/24/14 11:54 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
What a laugh! You'll have so much fun. sheesh, you could play rock and roll next! Yes, please keep us posted.

Cathy

#2280703 - 05/24/14 11:56 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jotur]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
What a laugh! You'll have so much fun. sheesh, you could play rock and roll next! Yes, please keep us posted.

Cathy

I already play rock! Used to play lead guitar! (too many moons ago smile )

#2280711 - 05/25/14 12:55 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Congrats Jazzwee.... sounds great.

Whenever I think of organ. I think of Bach Organ music. Talk about hard core. Makes me think of playing in the middle of the night...like the Phantom of the Opera, or Dracula.... Bbbwwwaaaahhhhhaaaahhhhaaa!

#2280714 - 05/25/14 01:00 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

rnaple! LOL. I can just imagine a Phantom of the Opera scene with the giant pipe organ!

But what surprised me was the the finesse that's possible in organ. Now I don't have that finesse obviously because I just started. However, it isn't much different than what's possible with piano. Except that you don't have to worry about developing the neuromuscular connections to adjust things like tone and dynamics. Instead THERE ARE BUTTONS! DRAWBARS! SWITCHES! PEDALS!

I always thought myself that it had to always sound like a church thing. Little did I know that you can play it pretty quietly.

#2280734 - 05/25/14 05:35 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Very cool! Funny this should come up now, because I have a friend that wants to sell her Rodgers organ. This is one of the wooden beasts with the full pedal board, just like you would use in church. Without pipes - it is vintage electronics from 1986. I am still undecided, since it takes up so much room in the house.

I took an organ lesson last year at Summerkeys just for fun. It is very different - no dynamic control with the hands, and no sustain pedal...

Sam

#2280748 - 05/25/14 06:53 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
All this talk of organs reminds me of a clip I stumble upon last year. Growing up listening to early moog music this really tickled my ivorys

listen here

The organ used here is a Wersi Scala

Edited by earlofmar (05/25/14 06:58 AM)

#2280774 - 05/25/14 09:20 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
f-a Offline

Quite amazing sounds and feel.
If you could, I'd demand a video too, I am curious on how "hand action" looks like!

#2280793 - 05/25/14 11:14 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Sam S]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sam S
Very cool! Funny this should come up now, because I have a friend that wants to sell her Rodgers organ. This is one of the wooden beasts with the full pedal board, just like you would use in church. Without pipes - it is vintage electronics from 1986. I am still undecided, since it takes up so much room in the house.

I took an organ lesson last year at Summerkeys just for fun. It is very different - no dynamic control with the hands, and no sustain pedal...

Sam

Sam, now being armed with a little bit more knowledge, I know that the better organs are specific Hammond models like the B3, C3, A100, M???? (Spinet). They date back to the 50's to 70's. These have the proper controls to have flexibility.

The newer ones tend to have just preset sounds that you can't tweak and so aren't worth much.

Unfortunately, the wife has banned me from getting these big beasts in the house smile No room, especially already having the Grand and assorted keyboards.

I wish I had a real organ. I'm playing this on weighted keys which is unlike the real deal.

Sam

Now this is the misconception since in a lot of church music, the organ is left with no dynamic control. But if you listen to what I play, there's a lot of dynamic control and a lot of tone control. It's just handled completely separately from the playing fingers. In my case, I'm using an expression pedal to effect dynamics.

Tonal control is limited in my example because it's very hard to move buttons while I'm playing. I could mess up the music since I'm improvising here. But it's fun because you really have such a range of tone shaping just like a piano.

Edited by jazzwee (05/25/14 11:19 AM)

#2280796 - 05/25/14 11:21 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: f-a]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: f-a
Quite amazing sounds and feel.
If you could, I'd demand a video too, I am curious on how "hand action" looks like!

Here, watch someone who knows how to do it! I'm just a hack at the moment.

#2280802 - 05/25/14 12:00 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Great sound which I remember well. Used to play the Hammond M100; BUILT LIKE A TANK, TWO SWITCHES FOR THE TONEWHEEL GENERATOR, and a C3 (A100) soundalike in spinet form.

I got to carry the heavy end always . . . .

""

#2280834 - 05/25/14 01:54 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Would love to have an M100. Smaller than the big B3 tank! Now why would you ever think of carrying this? It's like deciding to carry a Grand piano smile

#2280917 - 05/25/14 04:25 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: jazzwee

Unfortunately, the wife has banned me from getting these big beasts in the house smile No room, especially already having the Grand and assorted keyboards.

I wish I had a real organ. I'm playing this on weighted keys which is unlike the real deal.

Why do I get the impression that you're just a rich guy who plays jazz piano for fun? You got all these keyboard/piano toys. Your wife has only one toy... a shotgun. smile

I thought I'd ask about the versatility of Nord's. Besides the keys. Does Nord have all the pedal units and such to attach to the keyboard for an organ? Just wondering for discussions sake.

#2280944 - 05/25/14 04:54 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

...and no, piano is still #1 for me. This is just to open up more gigging opportunities.

Sporting sunglasses, I'm sipping a pina colada on Ipanema. The sky is turning to twilight, the gentle sound of waves crashing on the beach adds a soothing ostinato, and I'm watching bikini- and briefs- clad beauties perform an intricate social dance.

#2281028 - 05/25/14 08:57 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Good for you, JW, that sounds really great!

In the early 70s through the early 90s, I had a real Hammond organ - two manuals, full set of foot pedals, three sets of drawbars. I've always liked the Hammond sound, and I really enjoyed playing it. One thing I really liked was that I could play bass lines with my foot, along with chords in the left hand, to provide a jazzy or latin accompaniment. What I disliked was that I never had much success at trying to accent specific notes in a melody. (The expression pedal was sluggish, or I had a sluggish ankle, and the expression pedal also increased the volume of the foot pedal notes, and left hand chords too.)

I remember having to put up with a certain amount of ribbing about playing "roller skating rink music." Also, I was often told that I was not playing the organ, I was "playing the piano on an organ".

BTW, my wife thought the Hammond was a pretty piece of furniture, so she was glad to have it in the living room. If I had something like a Nord Electro, I'm sure she would have told me where to put it!

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2281050 - 05/25/14 10:14 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Welcome aboard, JW. Enjoy the adventure.

It's my impression that jazz organ is surging. I can't say that I've done a scientific survey, but I notice more and more organ players popping up here in Chicago and touring around. I think when synthesizers came around and offered unlimited sounds, it seemed like the sound of the B3 was just one of many. But more and more, folks are realizing the uniqueness of the B3 and the clonewheels do a great job of making that sound available to anyone. Every show I've been to the audiences just love the B3 sound.

#2281060 - 05/25/14 11:32 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: rnaple]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rnaple

Why do I get the impression that you're just a rich guy who plays jazz piano for fun? You got all these keyboard/piano toys. Your wife has only one toy... a shotgun. smile

I thought I'd ask about the versatility of Nord's. Besides the keys. Does Nord have all the pedal units and such to attach to the keyboard for an organ? Just wondering for discussions sake.

rnaple, the Nord Electro 4 has the same again as the full Nord C2 Organ which is a dual manual unit. So it's mostly the same functionality in a single manual which I play as a split keyboard.

You can attach a bass pedal although that would be lower priority to getting a dual manual organ I would imagine. Also there's an expression pedal. And the sustain pedal of the piano becomes a Fast/Slow Leslie switch. Some company apparently sells some drawbar unit in case the buttons aren't intuitive enough.

However, this particular Nord Electro 4HP 73 has weighted keys. And that's what's not authentic for organ playing. it seems fine enough for jazz. I can see that it could be limiting for a blues player.

Am I rich that I can afford all these? Actually the opposite is true. I'm selling my prior Nord Piano and this is the cheapest option to getting an organ instead of getting a separate organ clone (used). It's a relatively minor upgrade.

And I am expecting that this will expand my versatility in getting more gigs because I was not able to play certain things (like Santana tunes) and had to hire a guitar player.

The REAL reason however (the above was the explanation to the wife smile ) -- was that someone brought an organ to a jam and I was able to play it and I was intrigued...

I was also telling the wife that B3 organs are CHEAP! But when I showed the picture, the immediate thought from her was "YUCK! Ugly furniture!". LOL.

#2281061 - 05/25/14 11:39 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Riddler]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Riddler

BTW, my wife thought the Hammond was a pretty piece of furniture, so she was glad to have it in the living room. If I had something like a Nord Electro, I'm sure she would have told me where to put it!

Ed

LOL - I guess I have the opposite reaction. The Nord can be hidden away in a room. But that "room" has no more space for an organ. I'm not even sure how to get a B3 through the door.

You didn't know at the time that you could lighten the volume on the LH comp by adjusting the drawbars? I just learned a good setting today for lower/upper manual setting when comping (no bass).

Lower manual 008800000.
Upper manual 888000000.

It quiets down the lower manual quite a bit. Of course on the Electro this is a keyboard split. I only have one manual.

I didn't use these settings on the recording above though. So it thought it was a trifle loud on the LH.

BTW I did find some inexpensive clones out there. Old Nord Electros, Roland VK8, VK7, Roland VR09 etc. Those could satisfy a little B3 urge near a weight of only 15lbs. Easy enough to hide in a close! (61 keys).

I'm jealous of you though since I haven't played on an actual B3. Sure I've touched organs in the past but I had no idea how to play piano then.

#2281063 - 05/25/14 11:46 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jjo]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jjo
Welcome aboard, JW. Enjoy the adventure.

It's my impression that jazz organ is surging. I can't say that I've done a scientific survey, but I notice more and more organ players popping up here in Chicago and touring around. I think when synthesizers came around and offered unlimited sounds, it seemed like the sound of the B3 was just one of many. But more and more, folks are realizing the uniqueness of the B3 and the clonewheels do a great job of making that sound available to anyone. Every show I've been to the audiences just love the B3 sound.

jjo, there's something about that mellow 888000000 setting that seems to get people's attention. It's a pleasant tone and I've had good reactions to the couple of times I've used an organ sound in public.

But then again, I saw a jazz piano trio last week and then it reminded me of the beauty of piano as well. So that kept me tied to the piano.

I have to say though that from a technique point of view, there's an advantage to playing organ for older folks like me. I will never have time to gain the piano technique of someone who started at 8. But in organ you don't need it. If you have the brains, the machine can be tamed better than my fingers can.

So we'll see which instrument makes me sound better.

Just loving Larry Goldings. His style is completely in sync with what I want to do. A modern player with the influence of Jaki Byard, Fred Hersch and apparently also Keith Jarrett?

To be honest, my only major exposure to jazz organ was Joey D and his style is more traditional. I'm liking the sound of a modern player on organ. Even like Medeski. Brings out the ex-Rocker in me smile

#2281113 - 05/26/14 03:11 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Phil Greenough Offline

Loc: Liverpool
Don't know about all this technical talk, but you sound great Jazzwee. I would also like to see a video on Youtube.

Phil

#2281190 - 05/26/14 10:16 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

JW: I agree on Goldings. I think you've checked out Larry Young? That's part of where Goldings come from. I'd also recommend Don Patterson, who played on lot's of Sonny Stitt's records. He is also more from the Bebop school that the soul jazz school. You don't have to look for Patterson as a leader; just look for Stitt albums with Patterson.

Finally, if you like Goldings, you need to check out the Hans Groiner videos on YouTube. I'll say no more on that so I won't ruin the surprise.

#2281199 - 05/26/14 10:44 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I wish you hadn't brought this up, because now I'm looking at that Nord C2 with the two manuals and thinking how great that would be to play continuo with my wife and her recorders. See what you've done? If I only had a few thousand dollars to spend...

Sam

#2281250 - 05/26/14 01:21 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Sam S]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I wish you hadn't brought this up, because now I'm looking at that Nord C2 with the two manuals and thinking how great that would be to play continuo with my wife and her recorders. See what you've done? If I only had a few thousand dollars to spend...

Sam

LOL. Well - I'm in this boat because someone showed me what an organ can do. smile I'm happy to share the pain!

I was at a jam session and someone brought a Nord Stage 2 with Swell pedal. Then when it was my turn to play, I switched from piano to organ and everyone said the organ sounded really good and wanted to hear MORE!

Nord C2 is the big time! smile Can't afford that. I hear the pros also talking about the Crumar Mojo as the top of the line dual manual clonewheel.

BTW, there isn't much talk of organs in the Digital forum but in the pro keyboard forums, it's 50% of the discussion. So it doesn't see much light of day among "learning" folks.

#2281251 - 05/26/14 01:24 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jjo]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jjo
JW: I agree on Goldings. I think you've checked out Larry Young? That's part of where Goldings come from. I'd also recommend Don Patterson, who played on lot's of Sonny Stitt's records. He is also more from the Bebop school that the soul jazz school. You don't have to look for Patterson as a leader; just look for Stitt albums with Patterson.

Finally, if you like Goldings, you need to check out the Hans Groiner videos on YouTube. I'll say no more on that so I won't ruin the surprise.

Yes jjo. I learned Larry Young from you and bought an album by him (thanks BTW!). I noticed that Goldings took Larry Young's playing style and built from it. Young really kept the same sound most of the time (I guess the 888000000 sound). Goldings would tweak a lot more, though not like the blues guys.

So where are you now in your organ pursuits? Are you ready to gig? (minus LH bass I think you said).

#2281344 - 05/26/14 04:45 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Just thinking here that the bane of any adult beginning pianist is developing the piano touch which probably takes at least 10 years.

On organ, the main issue is just the ability to play evenly and in perfect time. The touch/tone side is handled electrically.

The same ears are required for piano vs. organ, however. But it gives someone who doesn't practice as hard a fighting chance to achieve something in a shorter amount of time.

Someone quoted a number of hours as 1:3 ratio (organ vs. piano). I'm sure this only relates to technique since musically, the journey is the same.

#2281424 - 05/26/14 08:08 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

JW: I don't intend to use the organ in combination with piano because I'd have to bring two keyboards. Way too complicated. My focus is on the traditional organ combos where I play bass, although not on pedals. I've jammed with a drummer a couple of times, and I've got a guitar player who wants to play with us; we just need to find the right time. Progress is slow because I can only play a piece if I really shedded the bass line. So now I've only got about 3 or 4 tunes I can play. With piano still #1, progress will be slow, but I hope steady. Have no idea if I'll ever find a venue for a gig.

#2281941 - 05/27/14 06:35 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

jjo, how did Tony Monaco teach you bass? Fixed patterns for ii-V-I's first? Complete improvisation? Transcribe first?

I was trying to do something too complicated in my LH (improvising). Did too many patterns and that's part of my difficulty today. If I were to rethink this, I'd just concentrate on groove first and simplify the patterns. Add patterns slowly.

What do you think?

#2281950 - 05/27/14 06:56 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

JW: Simple, fixed, patterns. When I struggled with walking, we did a whole piece with mainly octaves and fifths. For example, a ii-V -I to Bb maj: C G C F# / F C F B / Bb etc. Fancy bass lines and improvising come much later. Now it's about developing the groove.

#2281978 - 05/27/14 08:09 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

So 1-5-8-half-step is the preferred approach?

I was doing 1-3-5-#11

#2282066 - 05/28/14 01:07 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I just want to post a comparison between my piano playing and my organ playing (as of this moment). I still think that my capacity to express articulation on the organ is at a baby stage. I'm a little better on piano.

There's obviously a different articulation approach on the organ. I hear the A-List players and they are so expressive. But an organ has a square envelope, as they say. There is no decay. So I haven't found the answer yet.

Articulation, as you get more advanced is about dynamics at each note, and micro-time control at the note level. These are subtle elements that often cannot be heard by beginners. I can do it to some degree on piano now. Now that I'm able to hear it on piano, it's glaringly absent on organ and it is frustrating.

Piano
https://app.box.com/s/aehj7n0v797tx1sxmmt5

Organ
https://app.box.com/s/lxqv582m6zo9cbyaqgl7

I'm thinking though that learning control of the organ articulation may add to development in piano control, at least at the time level (clearly not in dynamics).

BTW - most newbies in organ are probably concerned about the organ specific sounds like blues licks, glisses, smears, etc. I think these are the easy elements. I think the basics have to be mastered. Like starting at Alfreds Level 1.

#2282189 - 05/28/14 09:08 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Tony never suggested it's preferred, just one approach. I think he was just looking for something that was easy to play, so I think just pick what comes more naturally.

#2282305 - 05/28/14 01:12 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I can see the benefits of 1-5-8. You don't have to consider the chord quality for major/minor. So you basically only think of the root (and the occasional half-dim). I was able to do All the Things You Are without thinking much.

It's really neat you're in the same area as the most well known Hammond B3 teacher.

#2282316 - 05/28/14 01:34 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Actually, Tony is in Ohio and I'm in Chicago. The lessons use Skype, and Tony is well set up to do that. We even did one lesson from his hotel room when he was on the road.

#2282789 - 05/29/14 02:35 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
John_In_Montreal Offline

Loc: Montreal Canada
Hi Jazzwee,

That is really kool that you are getting into organ, I just love the sound too. Different technique it is, something of "another animal" to tame and I'd say its just as difficult to get a good sound on a tune on organ than it is on piano. Just different.

If you have another keyboard with MIDI you can then configure it as the 2nd manual for the Nord, unless the Nord doesn't allow for it but I think it does. I do this with my Kurz PC3X or a computer running Native Instrument's B4. There are (or were) real drawbar MIDI accessories available too but if you ever get your hands on a Nord electro 4D, it has bars instead of those 2 up/down buttons.

I too, would love to get my hands on a B3 or even just an M100; both with a Leslie of course wink Good ones in near pristine condition are quite expensive (3-4K average, unless you know a little old lady that has one to get rid of). And one of my pet projects for when I retire in a few years is to find one and restore it to factory like-new. I remember as a kid still being fascinated with the rotating horn in the big brown box smile

For some great listening, check out Vince Seneri, Joey DeFrancesco, Reuben Wilson.

John

#2283555 - 05/31/14 12:51 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hey John, tell us of your organ playing history! Each one starts differently and it's fascinating to hear how one evolves to organs.

I've been having so many issues with so many things to learn on this. I've been asking questions on another keyboard forum where there's a lot of organ experts.

There's a lot to absorb but I've made quite a bit of headway in a couple of weeks so I'm excited.

Right now, I'm figuring out how to do LH Bass on organ. Much different from what I learned with LH bass on piano. Less area to cover (octave). We'll see how it goes.

#2283890 - 05/31/14 08:55 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Just found out that Joey D is coming to one of my preferred local music clubs. I've seen in several times before, but I'll be going to this one, for sure. Right now he's touring with a Chicago based drummer (George Fludas) and a guitar player who used to be in Chicago although I think he's out in LA now (Jeff Parker).

#2283891 - 05/31/14 08:59 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Cool jjo!

How long has it been since you started on organ BTW?

#2284093 - 06/01/14 11:02 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

My first lesson with Tony was in January. I take a lesson every 3 weeks or so as I don't practice enough to take weekly lessons. It's been fun, but this concept for working a full time job may have to go!

#2286426 - 06/06/14 03:12 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The journey continues! Played organ at a gig tonight after 3 weeks of trying to figure it out. Still lots of rough edges but the audience seems to like the sound though.

https://app.box.com/s/c2nc8vwao9r4b0bhtnnn

#2286530 - 06/06/14 10:20 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Well done smile Nothing like a gig to kick you into high gear.

Cathy

#2286861 - 06/07/14 03:04 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks Cathy! A little risky to be trying this so early but I guess that's how one learns.

I noticed btw that there seems to be zero "organ" activity in this entire forum. No one in Digital likes organ? I'm surprised at the fun textures in sounds one can get with a Hammond organ sound (if one knows how). And generally, it is easier to learn technique than piano.

#2287147 - 06/07/14 10:31 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Nothing more fun (and challenging) than playing organ IMO. I still have my lovely old Conn organ (with pedals) in the back room and enjoy playing it now & then. Here was one of my favorite songs to play on it back then:

MR. SANDMAN: https://app.box.com/shared/oostt4g0i4

Edited by Elssa (06/07/14 10:32 PM)

#2287163 - 06/07/14 11:46 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

That's so cool Elssa! Do you play the pedals too?

So a Conn organ has no drawbars? I just looked at a pic. You just have preset sounds then? Does it have a swell pedal?

Envious that you have the real deal!

#2287210 - 06/08/14 02:41 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Jazzwee, for starting this great organ thread. smile Yep, my Conn is a regular classic electric organ from the early 60's with the pedalboard, swell pedal, etc.. I used to play a pretty mean walking bass on it back then when I was young. cool Can't believe it still works, the pedals, rhythms, etc after all these years. A little static with a few of the contacts, but not too bad. They really made things so well back then, along with a beautiful wooden cabinet. It was my grandma's (my mom's mom), and I also had a larger one that I got from an organ teacher (Radio City Music Hall organist) which we eventually sold, but I kept the little one from grandma over the years. I love the Hammond as well as Conn - very rich sound, good deep bass sound with the pedals, etc.

Here's Ethel Smith playing Tico-Tico. smile Nothing more fun than playing Latin rhythms on the organ!

Edited by Elssa (06/09/14 01:17 AM)

#2287574 - 06/09/14 01:22 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Elssa]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ETHEL SMITH

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/ethel/esmith.asp

"Two events dramatically changed the subsequent course of Ethel Smith's career. In 1935 the Hammond Corporation produced its first electric organ. The instrument revolutionized the keyboard genre by combining the fast action of the piano with the timbral resources of the organ. Miss Smith spotted her first Hammond while accompanying a singer in a Hollywood studio. According to her, "I just ran my fingers over [the organ] and said 'That's for me!'" (New York Times, May 16, 1943). Soon she was so proficient that she was able to pick up gigs in and around Hollywood, and even played on local radio broadcasts.

Ethel Smith was also concerned with sound quality. As she explained in another interview for Etude (May 1944), "The Hammond organist mixes tone color on a musical palette much in the manner of a painter in oils. He is not limited to ready-mixed colors." In fact, no one has ever made the Hammond sound quite like her. To some extent, this is due to her careful choice of organ stops and draw bars. Compare, for example, the shimmering pentatonic washes in "By the Waters of Minnetonka" (Bathing Beauty/Galloping Fingers) with the stark, other-worldly sound of "Firebird Blues" (Bouquet of the Blues) or the gnarly distortion of "Ethel Meets the Count" (Many Moods of Ethel Smith). She was particularly imaginative in recreating orchestral sounds and claimed that when arranging an instrumental piece for the organ she would "phrase as a flutist or clarinetist would" (Etude, May 1947). But Miss Smith's unique sound also depended upon her exceptional skills at transcription. In particular, she avoided clunky block chords preferring instead parallel thirds or other polyphonic devices. Take a listen to the ingenious countermelodies in "Brazil" (Many Moods of Ethel Smith/Latin from Manhattan). Using classical techniques, she even layered the same tune on top of itself to create her own "Fugue in Blue" (Bouquet of the Blues). The results were stunning; she was able to create full and fluid sounds without sacrificing her wonderful sense of color and rhythmic vitality. And that's why she was heralded by the Latin American press as "La Organista Mas Famoso del Mundo!"

Edited by Elssa (06/09/14 02:02 AM)

#2287666 - 06/09/14 11:05 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

I noticed btw that there seems to be zero "organ" activity in this entire forum. No one in Digital likes organ?...

JW, did you try the organ forum here?
Organ forum

Ed

#2287736 - 06/09/14 03:36 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Ed, I can't believe I've never seen that forum before. I guess I only look at the "Popular" forums which is what I bookmarked. Not busy either though.

Noticed too that there are two distinct groups of organ players. Classical/Church vs. Jazz/Rock/Blues. And how they handle the instrument is completely different.

At least this is my idea of organ playing.

#2287744 - 06/09/14 03:46 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Elssa]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Elssa
Thanks, Jazzwee, for starting this great organ thread. smile Yep, my Conn is a regular classic electric organ from the early 60's with the pedalboard, swell pedal, etc.. I used to play a pretty mean walking bass on it back then when I was young. cool Can't believe it still works, the pedals, rhythms, etc after all these years. A little static with a few of the contacts, but not too bad. They really made things so well back then, along with a beautiful wooden cabinet. It was my grandma's (my mom's mom), and I also had a larger one that I got from an organ teacher (Radio City Music Hall organist) which we eventually sold, but I kept the little one from grandma over the years. I love the Hammond as well as Conn - very rich sound, good deep bass sound with the pedals, etc.

Here's Ethel Smith playing Tico-Tico. smile Nothing more fun than playing Latin rhythms on the organ!

Super! Too bad they had to put an orchestra in the background. I would have liked to hear it with just the organ by itself. She's very expressive on this.

#2287753 - 06/09/14 04:09 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

At least this is my idea of organ playing.

Yeah, me too.

I was just remembering that Gordon Vernick did some podcasts about the history of jazz organ, focusing mostly on Jimmy Smith. Good stuff. I think they are on iTunes.

Ed

#2287917 - 06/10/14 12:55 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Elssa, I was looking for more Ethel Smith, trying to hear her playing by herself only. Hard to find. I guess she mostly played for movies and such. Wonderful sound. Like classical piano with her technique.

#2287925 - 06/10/14 02:27 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ethel Smith

Edited by Elssa (06/10/14 02:35 AM)

#2287927 - 06/10/14 02:36 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Elssa]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Edited by Elssa (06/10/14 02:38 AM)

#2287929 - 06/10/14 02:42 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Elssa]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

More Ethel Smith - lots of fun. smile

Edited by Elssa (06/10/14 02:46 AM)

#2288329 - 06/11/14 01:06 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Elssa, I was looking for more Ethel Smith, trying to hear her playing by herself only. Hard to find. I guess she mostly played for movies and such. Wonderful sound. Like classical piano with her technique.

Yes, such a wonderful technique. thumb She loved the Latin rhythms especially and used those on the Hammond organ quite often. She didn't need an orchestra or band, though she enjoyed that as well.

Here's my arrangement of Brazil. I still have her original sheet music and just changed the key and a few other things. She was a real virtuoso!

BRAZIL

Edited by Elssa (06/11/14 01:51 AM)

#2288340 - 06/11/14 02:02 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is the original sheet music that I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brazil-by-Ary-Ba...=item4867918d9b

This is very similar to the Conn organ I have at home now in the back room:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CONN-The...=item27e579de6d

Edited by Elssa (06/11/14 02:06 AM)

#2288456 - 06/11/14 10:31 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yikes, that Tico Tico really brought back some memories. I used to love that song when I was a kid, and I'm sure Ethel had something to do with that!

Here I am playing it on my Hammond in 1979. Audio quality is really bad - recorded on a kid's cassette player/recorder, sitting on the floor in front of the speakers, so there is way too much bass.

Tico Tico

Sounds like I was more into drama and harmonic tension than speed or technique! laugh

Ed

#2288597 - 06/11/14 04:08 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

You sounded pretty good in 1979 Ed! Wow! Love it when you guys post organ performances. Something for me to look forward to.

You still keep cassettes from 1979????? Do you also have 8-track? smile And how did you digitize this? I don't think I even have a device that can play cassettes...

#2288733 - 06/11/14 11:32 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

You sounded pretty good in 1979 Ed! Wow! Love it when you guys post organ performances. Something for me to look forward to.

You still keep cassettes from 1979????? Do you also have 8-track? smile And how did you digitize this? I don't think I even have a device that can play cassettes...

Five or six years ago, I was in the process of throwing out old cassette tapes, and came across this "organ time capsule" tape with thirty-some recordings from 1978-79. No improvising in any of these, but I was certainly having fun creating arrangements from lead sheets.

I have a boombox that plays cassettes, so I wired its headset output to my computer line-in input and digitized the tape with Audacity.

Fun to listen to the old recordings, even though the sound quality ranges from absolutely horrible to even worse!

Ed

#2288746 - 06/11/14 11:56 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

So was yours a B3? No Leslie?

#2288832 - 06/12/14 09:26 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

So was yours a B3? No Leslie?

No Leslie frown

Mine was a spinet. I can't remember the letter name, perhaps L-something, not sure.

Ed

#2289505 - 06/14/14 12:52 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Riddler]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I really enjoyed that, Riddler. smile Brings back good memories, and I love that Hammond sound.

Well, here's my version. I'm not nearly as fast as Ethel Smith, but had a lot of fun with it. Have a couple of "sticky keys" with this rainy/humid weather here, too. I recorded this on my Roland.. I'm not set up to record with my old Conn organ. My feet tell me they miss playing the pedals. lol

TICO TICO

Edited by Elssa (06/14/14 12:55 AM)

#2289703 - 06/14/14 04:25 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Starr Keys Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Ethel Ed and Elssa and Tico-Tico Tico-Tico Tico-Tico This is becoming another themed recital. So many wonderful performances of this song.

Ed and Elssa you play so well, past and present (I think Elssa also did another version of this years ago)-- not even primitive recording methods or sticky keys can subtract from the enjoyments of your performances.

#2289788 - 06/14/14 07:20 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Elssa]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I really enjoyed that, Riddler. smile Brings back good memories, and I love that Hammond sound.

Well, here's my version. I'm not nearly as fast as Ethel Smith, but had a lot of fun with it. Have a couple of "sticky keys" with this rainy/humid weather here, too. I recorded this on my Roland.. I'm not set up to record with my old Conn organ. My feet tell me they miss playing the pedals. lol

TICO TICO

Great performance Elssa! Would have liked to see you do it on the real organ with the swell pedal.

#2289790 - 06/14/14 07:22 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Some really impressive Hammond organ playing here. Such variety of sounds coming out of the instrument and such great use of dynamics. This is no small deal to do.

#2289875 - 06/15/14 12:15 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Ed - that was really fun! I still have a little cassette player, too, and listen to old tapes while I'm folding laundry laugh And now I can listen to your old tapes, too! I love the sauciness here smile

Cathy

#2290144 - 06/15/14 04:56 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Elssa, Way to Tico! I know what you mean about the pedals, once you get used to playing with them, things never seem right without them.

Jazzwee, I must admit I've never heard a Hammond played quite like Corey Henry plays it! Super-quick on the drawbars! Really swings. Though I must say - he's not too subtle with his cues to his drummer. smile In a bygone era, Elssa and I used to be fans of an organist named Bill Irwin, he was quick at registration changes too; made you feel like you were listening to a whole orchestra.

Cathy, saucy, yes, but ya gotta admit - we are too restrained in this thread. All these words, not a single organ joke! JW should be grateful bigtime.

Ed

#2290187 - 06/15/14 06:45 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It's a month now of practicing the organ on my Nord Electro and this is where i am now.

All the Things You Are Improv
https://app.box.com/s/dn05vn9gbqe47242nugi

#2290275 - 06/16/14 01:47 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Riddler]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A little more Ethel Smith: smile Wish I could play the glissandos like her!

Edited by Elssa (06/16/14 01:49 AM)

#2290281 - 06/16/14 02:14 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Riddler]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have an old cassette recording from a little recital I played for a local organ club group about 30 years ago. I'm playing my Conn organ with pedals, and the sound quality is really terrible, but just reminds me how much fun I had back then:

CUMANA: https://app.box.com/shared/71li2cu37k

BRAZIL: https://app.box.com/shared/t4lirac9yd

Ed/Riddler, I still have a book or two of Bill Irwin's somewhere. He was really good. grin

Edited by Elssa (06/16/14 02:16 AM)

#2290498 - 06/16/14 01:10 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Elssa]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There was another great electric/theater organist named Rosa Rio. She lived to age 107 and was performing on the organ right up to the end. smile

Edited by Elssa (06/16/14 01:10 PM)

#2290565 - 06/16/14 03:12 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Elssa]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

There was another great electric/theater organist named Rosa Rio. She lived to age 107 and was performing on the organ right up to the end. smile

I didn't even think of the term "pulling out all the stops" as referring to organ. Makes sense now smile

#2290614 - 06/16/14 04:38 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
500 Post Club Member

She actually was only 3 weeks shy of 108 when she died. Her last professional performance was only a few months before that and she practiced up to the day she died, believing there'd be another one.

Skitch Henderson said he didn't know of anyone else who could improvise for the organ the way she could. Here is a more extensive interview with her where she talks about that and her over 90-year career and the history of broadcasting. She is 100 in the interview but barely seems 70 and I was tempted to email her husband (still alive at 94) to ask him which hand cream she used. Her hands seem so amazingly young. Check it out.

#2290643 - 06/16/14 06:15 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Starr Keys]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's a wonderful clip! I really love it at the very end where she plays "Everything's Coming Up Rosa". grin

I actually heard her play live back in the late 1980s.. My grandmother (my mom's mom) in Bridgeport, CT, who also played theater organ, was about the same age as Rosa and was acquainted with her. My family and I went to hear Rosa play in Shelton,CT, and she was amazing! smile

www.TheatreOrgans.com/cvtos

SHELTON, CONNECTICUT

The 3/13 Austin Opus 1512 organ was originally installed in the Allyn Theatre in Hartford, Connecticut in 1927. The 1938 hurricane did substantial damage to it, flooding the chambers, smashing the pipes and technically making the instrument inoperable..

Twenty-one years later, in 1959, Allen Miller, while making a survey of theatre organs in Connecticut, discovered this organ, and with the help of a friend was able to get it in working condition by 1960.

Shortly after this, the Connecticut Valley Theatre Organ Society was founded, and through an agreement between Mr. Miller and the Allyn Theatre, concerts and practice sessions were allowed when the theatre was not being used. Additionally, the organ was promised to CVTOS in the event the theatre was closed or demolished.

The Allyn Theatre closed in October 1969, and the organ was dismantled and moved to a machine shop in Manchester, Ct. From there it was moved to a vacant store in Seymour, and later to a closed school building in Shelton.

During these years a new high school was being built in Shelton, and an agreement was made with the city whereby space would be allocated for the chambers and a storage crib for the organ console. In exchange CVTOS would donate the organ to the city and would rebuild, install and maintain it at no charge.

The premier concert for this organ was held on January 25, 1986, and it is the only theatre organ installed in a public high school in Connecticut. Rosa Rio, famous for playing for the silent movies and later radio shows, lived in Shelton and was a frequent performer on this organ.

#2290677 - 06/16/14 07:26 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Elssa]
500 Post Club Member

Great story, Elssa, and one that ended very happily for those high school students. Imagine, being able to hear a concert by a master of a dying art and have a beautiful colorful artifact of American Musical theater history like that at your finger tips.

I had a feeling you would have seen her play and maybe even meet her. My grandmother probably saw her too and might have even known her (she knew Ethel Waters). Like Rosa, she was from the South, was born around the same time, and she played organ and piano from the time she was a child.

#2291358 - 06/17/14 10:28 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Starr Keys]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just can't get over how well Rosa looked and how energetic she was in that video you posted (at age 100). Not to disparage the piano in any way, but I bet her playing the organ, which is a full-body workout with the pedals, had something to do with it. wink

#2291665 - 06/18/14 01:24 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Riddler]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Elssa, Way to Tico! I know what you mean about the pedals, once you get used to playing with them, things never seem right without them.

Cathy, saucy, yes, but ya gotta admit - we are too restrained in this thread. All these words, not a single organ joke! JW should be grateful bigtime.

Ed

Thanks, Riddler! I never learned to do the real fancy footwork like Ethel and Rosa on electric organ but still had a lot of fun with the pedals.. I could do a pretty good walking bass back then. Do you still play organ? You sounded wonderful in your recording! thumb

Edited by Elssa (06/19/14 01:39 AM)

#2291877 - 06/19/14 12:35 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Elssa and Ed, please talk more about how you learned organ and trials and tribulations related to that. Did you have a teacher? How did they teach it vs. piano?

#2291901 - 06/19/14 02:03 AM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was blessed with some great organ teachers over the years back then. smile

Bob Maidhof: I took 2-3 years of lessons with him when I was a teen. He was only about 5 years older than me but was already the regular organist at Radio City Music Hall, so he had great advice on playing theater style organ music! He eventually moved to NJ. He taught me things like walking bass with the pedals (Mack the Knife), as well as lots of wonderful show tunes and Latin rhythm patterns - just about everything! smile

http://www.gstos.org/BobMaidhof.htm

Ross Carnegie: Another wonderful teacher, more jazzy and into "modern harmony". Ross played the Hammond and used to take it with him to his gigs with his band. He could play organ and piano equally well! I loved the way he sometimes combined classical themes with the standards. A unique and extraordinary musician/teacher:

http://rosscarnegiepianostudio.com/

http://rosscarnegiepianostudio.com/audio1.html

http://rosscarnegiepianostudio.com/biography.html

http://rosscarnegiepianostudio.com/slideshow/gallery.html

Edited by Elssa (06/19/14 02:59 AM)

#2292074 - 06/19/14 12:25 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: jazzwee]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Elssa, Cumana and Brazil - I used to love to play them on the organ. There are some songs that just work.

I had to get rid of the Hammond sometime in the 1990s. Now I have a Yamaha DP.

JW, I took lessons very briefly, less than a year, but they were intense. My teacher was an organist at a local nightclub. He started out as an accordion player, adapted to organ as an adult. His main claim to fame was that he had played for Stalin at Potsdam! Anyway, he was a very structured teacher - every week he gave me a new scale, a new arpeggio, a new rhythmic pattern, and a new set of chords, a new page from Hannon for the Accordion, as well as a lead sheet of a song to work on. As I said, the lessons did not last long because I was transferred overseas; but they were invaluable because - what I learned was - how to learn!

I only remember him emphasizing a few specifics re the difference between organ and piano - basic stuff like: don't pound, don't play chords so low on the keyboard, stop playing the piano on the organ, press don't strike, practice both legato and staccato.

Later, I got a bunch of Bill Irwin books; they were quite good for learning how to integrate LH and foot pedals to make accompaniment patterns, walking bass patterns, stuff like that.

Also, I think I learned a lot by listening and imitating.

I don't think I ever had any organized instruction re registration changes, just learned about all that by messing around.

Ed

#2292158 - 06/19/14 02:37 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Riddler]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Elssa, Cumana and Brazil - I used to love to play them on the organ. There are some songs that just work.

All the Latin rhythm songs were so much fun. smile I think the only one I didn't play was "Lady of Spain", but just about everything else. I have a button called "Crash Cymbal" on my old Conn organ that gave every song like that a great ending! grin Do you have any more old organ recordings on your Hammond? Would love to hear them.

Here's another popular favorite that really works on the organ that I played/recorded at that same recital 30+ years ago on my Conn:

NOLA
https://app.box.com/shared/d7zrjkznpv

Edited by Elssa (06/19/14 02:40 PM)

#2292168 - 06/19/14 02:44 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Riddler]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Elssa,
I had to get rid of the Hammond sometime in the 1990s. Now I have a Yamaha DP.

Ed

I thought my old Conn organ in the back room was a goner a few years ago.. I hadn't played it for a couple years and suddenly noticed my cat, Gwen, pawing at the top lid. I opened it up, and there was a mouse nest, and I caught a glance of a little mouse scurrying down into the bowels of the organ! eek I cleaned out the little nest and expected the organ to be ruined, imagining the mouse/mice chewing on all the wires and stuff inside, but when I played it, there didn't seem to be any damage at all. Whew! smile

#2293549 - 06/22/14 07:46 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Riddler]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Later, I got a bunch of Bill Irwin books; they were quite good for learning how to integrate LH and foot pedals to make accompaniment patterns, walking bass patterns, stuff like that.

Ed

Hi, Ed: I got a few of his books over the years, and they're around here somewhere, probably in the back room. One book I got taught something called a "Tenth Progression", which I really liked a lot. Did you learn/play that one?

Bill Irwin:

http://www.amazon.com/Tenth-Progression-...ogression+magic

http://www.amazon.com/Irwins-Series-Popular-Organist-Collection/dp/B000K103F6

Edited by Elssa (06/22/14 07:49 PM)

#2293640 - 06/22/14 11:54 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Elssa]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

... One book I got taught something called a "Tenth Progression", which I really liked a lot. Did you learn/play that one?

Yes, I think I had all his books, and I remember that one particularly well. Works great on songs like Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered, or This Nearly Was Mine, or Ruby My Dear.

Wish my hands were just a tad bigger so I could play the tenths on the piano. Unfortunately, I can only reach them in a few keys. Someone oughta invent a piano with foot pedals. smile

Ed

#2293868 - 06/23/14 12:58 PM Re: New Journey -- On Organ! [Re: Riddler]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey, there's an idea! grin Some of the bigger Conn organs had such a wonderful and authentic-sounding Piano, it was sort of like that, though.

Regarding the 10ths, my hands aren't quite big enough either, so I just roll 'em, or sometimes just play the thirds, 1 + 3(10th), etc. with the right hand especially.

Edited by Elssa (06/23/14 01:00 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (AndresD, ando, AndrewJCW, 36251, angga888, Abby Pianoman, 31 invisible), 1552 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156222 Topics
2294324 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
07/28/14 08:52 AM
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
07/28/14 08:11 AM
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
07/28/14 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission