2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Yes, in retrospect, I should have purchased a tuning hammer. I took the piano technology course at Oberlin (Conservatory) but dropped out when I ruined a hammer.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by JoelW
Did you get your money back? That's not okay.

No, THAT is not OK; from the sound of it only the Litolff Scherzo was missing. What would you have them do, calculate how many minutes of the program were missing and pro-rate the refund based on that?

My goodness, accidents happen, and if we cry about having to be reimbursed for every little mishap in life we are just showing how self-centered and selfish we become.

Get over it!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
BDB Offline
B
Most concerts are sold with programs subject to change.

Originally Posted by music32
Yes, in retrospect, I should have purchased a tuning hammer. I took the piano technology course at Oberlin (Conservatory) but dropped out when I ruined a hammer.

The tool or the part of the piano?

Semipro Tech
B
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
...... only the Litolff Scherzo was missing. What would you have them do, calculate how many minutes of the program were missing and pro-rate the refund based on that?

Definitely! grin

And if they play an encore, charge the audience pro rata for the amount of time the encore lasted, which is only fair.

I remember my first concert at the BBC Proms, where Abbado conducted the Berlin Philharmonic in Mahler's Symphony No.5, followed by Brendel playing Brahms's second concerto - nearly two hours' music for about $5. And then they played the William Tell Overture as an encore - twelve minutes's extra music.

I almost expected a German in tails to stand stiffly at the door, collection box in hand, to extract a few extra pennies from the audience as they filed out happily, but luckily, those Berliners (and their Italian chief conductor) were a generous lot.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BDB
It could have come from Steinway's concert reserve, either from their local stores or from New York.

I could see that strings had been replaced.

Wow, how can I get behind the stage at Davies lol. I'd really like to see their organ, actually.

Poetry is rhythm
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by BDB
A string that is replaced will take a bit of time before it drops enough to be noticed at a concert. I have replaced many strings before concerts. It takes a day or two before they are bad enough to stand out.

She may not have been playing one of the house pianos, by the way. I noticed lots of strings that had been replaced on them when I was among them. That is not a good sign, by the way. Replaced strings should not be noticeable!

Where else would the piano have come from?

Maybe from Pro Piano. Ms. Wang is listed as client on their website.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by BDB
A string that is replaced will take a bit of time before it drops enough to be noticed at a concert. I have replaced many strings before concerts. It takes a day or two before they are bad enough to stand out.

She may not have been playing one of the house pianos, by the way. I noticed lots of strings that had been replaced on them when I was among them. That is not a good sign, by the way. Replaced strings should not be noticeable!

Where else would the piano have come from?

Maybe from Pro Piano. Ms. Wang is listed as client on their website.

Wow, I didn't even know that place existed in SF

Poetry is rhythm
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I can imagine Horowitz canceling for such a thing.

It's happened before, and he just went back to performing one of the most electrifying recordings of Rachmaninoff's 2nd sonata, ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaLkpDrdifc

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BDB
There is more than one concert grand at Davies. There may not have been another prepared for the concert. But replacing a string should not have taken much time.

Here is a report/review , including a picture of the attempt to replace the string. For some reason, it was taking too long, it seems.

By the way, although the reviewer says that Litloff Scherzo is the only thing remembered by that composer, four of the concertos symphoniques are recorded (on Hyperion) and are interesting to hear. When I last listened to them, one of them seems to be particularly outstanding and worthy of revival.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
I can imagine Horowitz canceling for such a thing.

It's happened before, and he just went back to performing one of the most electrifying recordings of Rachmaninoff's 2nd sonata, ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaLkpDrdifc

I've always LOVED that moment. ha

B
BDB Offline
B
It looks like the string that broke was a tenor string under the bass strings. Those are the most difficult to replace. Fortunately, those are also the least likely to break.

Semipro Tech
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BDB
It looks like the string that broke was a tenor string under the bass strings. Those are the most difficult to replace. Fortunately, those are also the least likely to break.

I can verify that it wasn't a copper-wound string. The guy standing next to me requested the string as a souvenir of his first time at the SF symphony.

That is according to my memory of the event lol

Poetry is rhythm
B
BDB Offline
B
No, the strings under the bass strings are usually plain wire. Was it really long, like about 4-5 feet up and back?

Semipro Tech
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
It didn't seem that long to me, but it might have been just a piece of the string.

When Yuja reached into the piano during her performance, she reached in with her right hand over by the treble. My feeling was that the string was a treble string, but from the picture it does seem like the technician is looking in the tenor section.

Maybe there was more than one problem with the piano? I didn't think it would take too long to just replace a string....

Poetry is rhythm
Why not just have another piano ready, like Liszt did in the movie Song of Love?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Maybe there was more than one problem with the piano? I didn't think it would take too long to just replace a string....

Replaced strings don't really hold their tune until after a few tunings. It would be hard to perform on a newly replaced string.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
B
BDB Offline
B
As I said before, the amount that a new string goes out in the first few hours after replacement is negligible. I try to make certain that any string which is about to break breaks while I am tuning it, rather than in the middle of the show, so I have a fair amount of experience with the issue. Most pianists have played on pianos that are a lot further out of tune than the amount one string will go during the two or so hours after being replaced, which is the amount of time between the last opportunity to tune the new string and the end of the performance.

Semipro Tech
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BDB
I try to make certain that any string which is about to break breaks while I am tuning it, rather than in the middle of the show

That is a good idea

Poetry is rhythm
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission