2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
EDIT: this might be a better choice if you want to go the 2.1 route for same price as Blue Sky:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CM110/

Thanks Marko – I'd agree that that's probably a better solution than the eXo, as I think I might even be able to audition that Roland system locally thumb

A shadow of my former self, but still the same Mac guy - designing, taking photos, talking tech, being creative and finally playing the piano again!
E
E
Another stand you could try would be the K&M 18953. It can go lower than the 18950 but is narrower and not width adjustable.

I've just recently got an MP10 and have the 18950 stand. It's very good and stable. It's deep and wide too when extended. I didn't attach the height adjustable legs with the screw in feet as that would raise the height still more. I have adjusted the height of my seat so no problem there.

For monitors I went with gear4music as they have a returns policy that allows me to try in the home. I got the Fostex PM841 which were ok but I've just now sent back in the hopes of trying something better. I'll see how their customer service is.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Another stand you could try would be the K&M 18953. It can go lower than the 18950 but is narrower and not width adjustable.

I spotted that the 18953 was a bit lower, but wonder if it perhaps isn't quite deep enough. I suppose in the grand scheme of things the lack of width adjustment doesn't really matter...

I've just recently got an MP10 and have the 18950 stand. It's very good and stable. It's deep and wide too when extended. I didn't attach the height adjustable legs with the screw in feet as that would raise the height still more. I have adjusted the height of my seat so no problem there.

Interesting. So does that mean you're just using the 18950 without any feet at all..? I wonder, what height does that put the top of the white keys from the floor?

For monitors I went with gear4music as they have a returns policy that allows me to try in the home. I got the Fostex PM841 which were ok but I've just now sent back in the hopes of trying something better. I'll see how their customer service is.

Would be interested to hear how you get on... just had a look at their website, and it seems they do indeed offer a decent returns policy including free collection within 7 days of receipt. Thanks thumb

A shadow of my former self, but still the same Mac guy - designing, taking photos, talking tech, being creative and finally playing the piano again!
E
E
Yes that was my concern with the 18953. The MP10/11 are very deep as DP's go. I tried both the Yamaha P-35 I have and the MP10 on it and actually find the keys on the MP10 are a bit lower due to it's shape. I initially tried to attach the detachable legs with the feet but one went in too far and got stuck (it wasn't protruding out the bottom). I could see that attaching them all (correctly) would add another 2cm or so of height which I didn't want so I didn't bother. I also have a drum throne rather than a piano bench and it's very height adjustable.

I will report back about gear4msuic. The rule there is you have to inform them within a week of receipt for free collection but you can actually keep a hold of the product for up to 2 weeks. That can also be extended to 60 days for a fee.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Gee.... I'm surprised anyone would consider the Omni; a wobbly stand? I just received mine. There is a little wobble. But that is due to it being on carpet. Everything is wobbly on carpet. I really didn't think the 18950 could be better?
I do have a K&M X stand. It was included with my old M8000. As far as X stands go. It's probably the best? But won't use it. It's way too wobbly on carpet. It does work great to hold my VPC when I'm moving it's Omni. Don't have to bend over to pick that 65 pounds up again.
I do seriously love my Omni. I have it on the lowest setting. Keys are at 27 1/2 inches. Could be lower. I think this is best for me. I could remove the adjustment bolts and let it drop another inch and a half.

I don't know what to say on monitors. I got a good cheap pair of Prodipe Pro Ribbon 8's. I don't think they even make them anymore. The people in Europe said Prodipe makes a lot of junk. But every once in a while they turn out a real diamond out of their coal. This seems to be one. I was doubtful at first. Speakers were tight. Since then have cooked them a lot. They're doing great. Not far off of my Event Studio Precision 8's. I'm glad I have the Prodipes. Great for the cost.
Otherwise if you want good sound. My Event's are real good. They aren't made anymore. I might look at the currently available Event's. Good stuff.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by rnaple
I do seriously love my Omni.

So much so you've given it a new name. wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I must have missed something, James?
My K&M Omni... 18810
Ingrid loves Omni too.

Ron
Online Content
I believe the K&M 18810 is called 'Omega'.
But if Ingrid loves Omni, who am I to disagree? wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Oh well..... serves me right for paying half attention to the discussion.
I do still think it's a righteous stand.

EDIT: My focus of replying was the interest in claiming wobbly? I was surprised when I set this up. They have four soft rubber "feet" that you apply to the cross bars. They compress and the keyboard sits on the large round harder rubber pieces. I feared this stand wouldn't be stable in allowing the keyboard to move. My fears are gone now. Even on carpet. There is exactly zero wobble right to left. Front to back there is a little due to carpet. Where is all this wobble?
I feared the 18950 wouldn't be any more stable? It does look like it will hold a keyboard better? Has slots for the feet of the keyboard to go through. Nice big flat pieces for the keyboard to sit on. I did wonder on the legs though. Really is zero wobble, even with two keyboards? Interesting?

Again..... I apologize for replying when paying attention to something else.

Last edited by rnaple; 05/30/14 07:54 AM.

Ron
M
OP Offline
M
Just a quick update to report that my MP11 arrived last night thumb I'm not Popeye but was pleased to be able to get it out the box myself (just!) and onto my existing double-braced X stand for now, which turns out to be surprisingly rigid despite the 32kg heft. It's only a wee bit heavier than the old RD500 I gigged many moons ago, which by the power of Google I discovered weighed 25kg and it didn't have wooden keys......

Fresh out the wrapper I have to say the MP11 looks and feels like a quality piece of kit – love the wooden end cheeks and the Grand Feel action is a joy. The flat top rear surface will no doubt come in handy, although I think I'm going to build some sort of 'bridge' for the monitors/Mac rather than sitting these directly on the instrument.

The only comments I'd make are that the music desk isn't great (it would be better if it bent forward so that the music rest sat on top of the back of the piano, rather than hung further off the back), and that I think a moulded 3-pin plug would be more appropriate (yes, I appreciate this will be a UK-specific point, but the white plastic B&Q plug on the power cable looks like an afterthought).

I only played it for a short time, but with a tweak to Heavy touch and Dynamic voicing it sounded great through my headphones – suffice to say I'm very happy and also relieved there were no issues with the unit on delivery. I don't trust couriers, especially as my MP11 has been lost in transit since last Friday!

Now I just need to decide which stand and monitors to order......

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic
The only comments I'd make are that the music desk isn't great (it would be better if it bent forward so that the music rest sat on top of the back of the piano, rather than hung further off the back)

Agree, that was virtually the only thing I didn't like about MP11... Using an ipad to read music for instance is a bit more uncomfortable than with other DPs

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
A bit of Sugru might help with the iPad wink

E
E
Would be interested to hear how you get on... just had a look at their website, and it seems they do indeed offer a decent returns policy including free collection within 7 days of receipt. Thanks thumb

To followup on this I did get my refund with no problems a few days after the speakers were picked up. I kept all the original packaging and instructions and put everything back in it's box and taped it all up securely with return card and receipt. All I lost was the original delivery charge of £6 and the cost of the XLR cables I wanted to keep.

I'm now going to take advantage of their 1 week loan offer for the high end Neumann KH120A monitors. This is different from a normal purchase in that they take an authorization for the money but no money actually leaves my account. These Neumann monitors seem to be very highly regarded and have a wide sweet spot apparently.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Enthusiast

To followup on this I did get my refund with no problems a few days after the speakers were picked up. I kept all the original packaging and instructions and put everything back in it's box and taped it all up securely with return card and receipt. All I lost was the original delivery charge of £6 and the cost of the XLR cables I wanted to keep.

I'm now going to take advantage of their 1 week loan offer for the high end Neumann KH120A monitors. This is different from a normal purchase in that they take an authorization for the money but no money actually leaves my account. These Neumann monitors seem to be very highly regarded and have a wide sweet spot apparently.

Thanks Enthusiast – appreciate the feedback on your experience shopping with G4M thumb

P
P
I have the K&M 18810 and it's very solid and top notch build.

I would take a listen to Adam a3x or the a5x. They have a higher pricing, but they sound great.

B

Nord Piano 3 - Adam A3X - Adam sub 7
YAMAHA N1 - Roland Integra 7
L
L
So how have you decided? Did you buy the 18950? I have also bought the mp11, but can't decide which stand to buy. I am really worried it will be too high for me, since I am only 173cm.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Lepredom
So how have you decided? Did you buy the 18950? I have also bought the mp11, but can't decide which stand to buy. I am really worried it will be too high for me, since I am only 173cm.

I ended up deciding on the Quiklok WS650 and whilst I can't say whether it is less or more stable than the K&M 18950, it is exactly what I was looking for – no more side-to-side rocking and I don't bash my knees any more! The higher K&M stand would have been fine too and I would simply have needed to adjust the height of my stool.

As for monitors, I demoed a few options and ended up buying a pair of Presonus Eris E4.5's. Some will no doubt comment that the frequency response isn't adequate for piano and that they're not bi-amped or very powerful, but the reality is that they work extremely well for me. I don't need room-filling full-range sound, and they are surprisingly articulate and full sounding given their small dimension and woofer size – I actually have to roll off the bottom end with the Acoustic Space setting at -2db or I start to get boundary effect issues and a bit of boom. In my experience the Presonus are not "thin" or "tinny" sounding in any way, nor 'boxy' – all characteristics I was hoping to avoid, plus the front panel mounted volume control and power switch is extremely convenient when my kids want to play the piano when I'm at work thumb

Here's a quick snap of my temporary setup – my plan is to build an "over desk" that the MP11 will nestle neatly under, complete with hinged music desk and space either for the monitors...

[Linked Image]

...now I just need to decide whether I want glossy black or polished mahogany finish! crazy

E
E
MrMac, congrats for your setup: loks very neat and elegant. I'm aiming to get something similar with my future coming baby (VPC1) and was a bit debated about monitors. Presonus is one of the brands I would go for, along with KRK: how would you compare the sound of the ones you have with, let's say, the Rokit model? Also, did you get your presonus on Amazon UK?

Last edited by Emiliano; 06/30/14 06:27 AM.
E
E
Originally Posted by Lepredom

As for monitors, I demoed a few options and ended up buying a pair of Presonus Eris E4.5's. Some will no doubt comment that the frequency response isn't adequate for piano and that they're not bi-amped or very powerful, but the reality is that they work extremely well for me. I don't need room-filling full-range sound, and they are surprisingly articulate and full sounding given their small dimension and woofer size – I actually have to roll off the bottom end with the Acoustic Space setting at -2db or I start to get boundary effect issues and a bit of boom. In my experience the Presonus are not "thin" or "tinny" sounding in any way, nor 'boxy' – all characteristics I was hoping to avoid, plus the front panel mounted volume control and power switch is extremely convenient when my kids want to play the piano when I'm at work thumb

Did you demo them with Gear4music? Which monitors did you not like?

Still trying monitors out myself and would like something that can fill the room well. I'm using stands for them. The first pair I tried would've been too big to put on my DP like that. I see you have them on foam pads. Do they deaden vibration and are they secure like that?

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Emiliano
MrMac, congrats for your setup: loks very neat and elegant. I'm aiming to get something similar with my future coming baby (VPC1) and was a bit debated about monitors. Presonus is one of the brands I would go for, along with KRK: how would you compare the sound of the ones wou have with, let's say, the Rokit model? Also, did you get your presonus on Amazon UK?

Thanks Emiliano – I'm very happy thumb

How does the Presonus compare? That's impossible to answer... if you can, I'd urge you to demo some options so you can judge for yourself. Looking at specs alone though, the diminutive E4.5's only go down to 70Hz whereas the Rokit RP5 will go a whole lot lower (as can only be expected from their larger driver). I don't doubt for one second that a speaker solution which covers these lower frequencies – whether that be 53Hz or 45Hz or whatever – would be better, but I do think "better" is a highly subjective term. The E4.5's perform perfectly adequately for me, with no obvious missing bass given the close listening distance and small room, even when I'm adding some acoustic bass and drum accompaniment. As mentioned above, I find I have to have the Acoustic Space switch set to -2db to avoid room "boom" around the 100-160Hz mark, and I find that having the volume control around 60% is loud enough.

The Presonus E5's might have been a better solution for me given they are front ported, however in-store there was very little difference between the E4.5 and 5 – given I was happy with the sound of my demo tracks, the smaller size of the 4.5's, their reduced cost and the added convenience of the front mounted switch and volume control made the decision easy in the end.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission