Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2283231 - 05/30/14 09:31 AM ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
In the advent of the re-release of the RD800, I am starting this new thread for obviously RD-800 owners. We are seeing many random threads on RD800 but mostly demos and comparison, which are great. However, in this thread I'm hoping to build a robust collection of tips, tricks, instructions, tutorials, shortcuts, live sets, issues, etc for RD800 owners. What I am NOT looking for in this thread are post such as comparisons to other brands, non-informative demos or non-owner opinions saying you love or hate the RD800. Just user experience only or potential buyers inquiring on certain functions, performance, and features not easily found or explained in a manual or online.

I have been using the RD800 for approximately 4 months and I have learned a lot and still lots to learn. This thread is important to me as I particularly use the RD800 for gigs as tool that produces some income for me. It can only help to learn as much as possible.

So, with that said I will start off with an example of a simple tip for RD800 owners:

If you prefer the sound of the NX Concert Grand over the new Concert Grand but find the NX Concert Grand & NX Concert Mono sounding "nasally" at middle C via your PA, here's a simply fix.

1. Choose you NX Grand Concert or Mono
2. Hit Enter
3. Choose Individual Note Voicing (below Piano Designer)
4. tap middle C
5. use right arrow to go over to Character
6. Then press INC to 1 and listen to the difference. No more nasal!

Hope it helps!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2283263 - 05/30/14 11:49 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Radsurfdad Offline

Loc: California,U.S.A.
Marko I am replacing my M-Audio Controller. I am considering the MP7(which I have tried) the Physis K4 and the RD800. I know playing the feel of a keyboard is subjective but since you own an RD800 and I have not played one, I am interested in your opinion about the action and such. Considering the other two boards is the RD800 worth waiting for?
P.S. I'm in no hurry...
Thanks Marko

Edited by Radsurfdad (05/30/14 08:34 PM)

#2283651 - 05/31/14 07:39 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

As mentioned in my OP, I really do not want to get into comparisons between RD800 to other brands. I can probably give you a better answer if you tell me what your intentions are with the RD800 - whether it may be for home or stage use.

Regarding action: I do see that you are an organ guy, so Im not sure how much you would enjoy the heavy-like action of a PHA4 or RH2. You might prefer the action of a high end workstation. Anyway, from a piano perspective, the action on the RD800 feels very authentic and nicely weighted. Very similar to PHA3 but quieter. Texture and feel is simply great on the touch. I find it very sensitive in a good way maybe due to its proclaimed high resolution technology. Makes me believe that there is something in addition to just three sensors. Basically it allows you to be very detailed in your playing. I trust most advanced pianists would be pleased with the PHA4, maybe even somewhat impressed. But for advanced pianists that are classical enthusiasts I would still look into Kawai MP11 or even the VPC1 if a stage piano was needed.

Worth the wait?: I can't tell you that the RD800 is worth waiting for, that is up to you. I can tell you that it is certainly worth demoing if you have that opportunity in a few weeks when re-released. Same with MP7 - go demo it. I originally wanted to purchase the MP7 but I could not wait at the time before its release. I was getting pressure from my band to expand on our playlist quickly. I was in a bit of a rush so I immediately looked at NS2, CP4, and RD800. RD800 was the clear winner for what I needed at a fair price. Im sure MP7 will do just about everything the RD800 can do. So, your decision will simply come down to your personal preference of sound, features, and functionality. Good news is that you cant make a bad decision between these two outstanding boards.
BONUS: either board comes with Kawai James or Jay Roland for PW members wink

(Sorry no comment on Physis K4. I know nothing about Physis)

#2283757 - 05/31/14 01:51 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Digitalguy Online   content

Loc: Switzerland
Hi Marko, I am back from a music store where I have tested several digital pianos, including the RD800.
First of all I would like to say that PHAIV is a clear improvement over PHAIII. It's less noisy than both PHAIII and Feel G (though a bit more than GF), and it has not that hard bottom out of the other 2 Roland actions.
It is also a bit heavier than PHAIII, though a bit lighter than Feel G, I'd say it's half way from this point of view.
Coming to the sound, I have a question for you. I tried several piano sounds including Concert grand and Studio Grand (that was somewhere down like 34th or so...), but could not find anything mentioning the V-Piano. Do you know which one it is?
I'll come back to the store this summer again as they are probably getting the VPC1 (they call me when they have it so that I can compared it to the MP11, which I tested today too), so I could have a listen again...
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2283759 - 05/31/14 01:57 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Radsurfdad Offline

Loc: California,U.S.A.
Marko my primary use for the keyboard is song writing at home. I have a real Hammond but write mostly on Piano. I had a real Baby grand (but no more).. this is why I am replacing my M-Audio Controller that I use with Galaxy Vintage D as well as other software. A stage piano could work as well. Thanks again for your input!

#2283769 - 05/31/14 02:25 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Digitalguy]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Digitalguy
but could not find anything mentioning the V-Piano. Do you know which one it is?

Hi Digitalguy,

You will not see any tone mentioning V. I believe the default Concert Grand is (or based on) the V-Piano Grand. Maybe Jay can elaborate on that.

#2283778 - 05/31/14 02:40 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Digitalguy Online   content

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Originally Posted By: Digitalguy
but could not find anything mentioning the V-Piano. Do you know which one it is?

Hi Digitalguy,

You will not see any tone mentioning V. I believe the default Concert Grand is (or based on) the V-Piano Grand. Maybe Jay can elaborate on that.

Thanks Marko, the default Concert Grand sounds virtually identical to the one on my (and most other) Roland DP, so I would say that is the normal Supernatural Concert Grand. Maybe Jay can tell us more...

Edited by Digitalguy (05/31/14 02:40 PM)
Edit Reason: typo
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2283779 - 05/31/14 02:43 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Radsurfdad]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Radsurfdad
Marko my primary use for the keyboard is song writing at home.

In that case, the RD800 would be an excellent choice for you especially if you are a songwriter. The RD has many additional usable voices that might inspire as well 200 rhythm patterns. You might also want to consider the FA-08 workstation if action is not your first priority. It is jam packed with many Integra sounds.

Also the RD800 is great if it's just staying at home and you don't have to move it to often as it is heavy and long. The MP7 might fare better for moving around as it is a couple pounds lighter and 2" shorter. But CP4 and any Casio stage DP wins for mobility.

#2284013 - 06/01/14 04:12 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Online   content

Loc: Worcester, UK
Roland have recently released System Version 1.04 for the RD-800

As well as fixing bugs previously reported, Roland have added a great new feature in the latest version of the software;
A numeric-keypad input function was added to Tone selection and Live Set selection.

How to know check the system program version of your RD-800.
1. Hold down [ DEC ] and [ INC ] and switch on the power to the unit.
2. After verifying the displayed version, switch off the power.

Bugs/anomalies in Program Version 1.04:

Tones 265-322: E.ORGAN's
Symptom: 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting is set to '[1] Normal' instead of '[5] Rotary', which would be the expected setting for E.ORGAN's. In comparison, the 10 'Tone Wheel Organs' numbered 255-264, are set to 'Rotary' as expected.
Reported: 9th July 2014 to Roland.co.uk
Verification: Awaited

Wish list

Layer/Zone Edit short-cut & Menu access
1. Enable direct access to the 'Layer Edit' screen ('Live Set Edit' > 'Layer Edit') using the right cursor key from the home screen.
2. Likewise, allow the left cursor to exit the this menu, or any sub-menu...
Currently there is an inconsistency in that, whilst the right cursor will take you from a menu into a sub-menu (same as using the ENTER key), the left cursor does not take you out, instead the user has to press the EXIT/SHIFT key.
Even in sub-menus like 'Individual Note Voicing' where the left/right cursor keys are used to navigate, the left cursor should be able to take you out and back to the previous menu.

Edited by bgiles (07/09/14 10:12 PM)
Edit Reason: Updated following release of new System Version

#2284308 - 06/01/14 06:53 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
plumpfingers Online   content

Loc: Northern California
Just got a new RD-800 and am looking for which setting will give me a sound closest to a B-3 with a leslie tremelo effect (ala Jimmy Smith). I'm new to digital pianos, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

#2284318 - 06/01/14 07:40 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: plumpfingers]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: plumpfingers
Just got a new RD-800 and am looking for which setting will give me a sound closest to a B-3 with a leslie tremelo effect (ala Jimmy Smith). I'm new to digital pianos, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Using the RD-800's virtual tonewheel organ mode, set the base sound to 888000000 with slow/fast/stopped Leslie, and perhaps key percussion set to soft with third harmonic.

Adjust to taste.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2284329 - 06/01/14 08:23 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: plumpfingers]
petes1 Offline

Originally Posted By: plumpfingers

I don't see anything stupid here at all. A decent answer, especially one that got into the nuances of making the sound as realistic as possible, would help all. Having said that, I'm betting that many professional keyboard players would use a dual setup with a weighted keys keyboard such as the Roland RD800 together with a non-weighted keyboard, and that they would play most of the organ sounds through the non-weighted keyboard.

#2284354 - 06/01/14 10:30 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: petes1]
plumpfingers Online   content

Loc: Northern California
Thanks very much Petes1 and Kawai James,
I'm far from a professional player but I certainly understand why Petes1 suggestion makes sense. I'm so new to this game that I'm struggling to execute the instructions from Kawai James. I'll be spending some time with the owner's manual to figure out how to set the bass sound, the leslie speed, etc. But I really appreciate all the help.

#2285533 - 06/04/14 07:36 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Cessquill Offline

Loc: Peterborough, UK
Speaking of organ sounds, can the drawbars be controlled over MIDI?

I was wondering whether it would be possible to hook up an un-weighted controller keyboard with drawbars and set up a patch such that the RD can handle the piano duties whilst I put the organ on a second tier.

#2290551 - 06/16/14 02:48 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
grandpianodave Offline

IS there any reason to get the 700NX over the 800?

#2290576 - 06/16/14 03:25 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: grandpianodave]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: grandpianodave

I read this over in the Roland Forums. Not sure if it answers your question but it's something to think about if you are considering the RD700nx. I only disagree on the action. I find the PHA4 action superb. Very similar to the RD700NX, but without the hard bottoming out and much quieter.

Edited by Marko in Boston (06/16/14 03:26 PM)

#2290673 - 06/16/14 07:18 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Interesting review specifications comparison.

I wasn't aware that MP3/SMF playback had been removed.

James
x

Edited by Kawai James (06/16/14 07:45 PM)
Edit Reason: As noted below, this reads more like a spec comparison than an actual hands-on review.

#2290678 - 06/16/14 07:27 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Originally Posted By: grandpianodave

I read this over in the Roland Forums. Not sure if it answers your question but it's something to think about if you are considering the RD700nx. I only disagree on the action. I find the PHA4 action superb. Very similar to the RD700NX, but without the hard bottoming out and much quieter.

Seems like this person is just comparing spec sheets...it doesn't appear they've played the RD-800 to really lend credibility to their opinion on things like action and the LCD screen. In the end, it's a person's opinion, so you gotta check both out if you are considering either one.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2290683 - 06/16/14 07:30 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
Both are Gone.

The RD800 does offer some great audio manipulation tools for WAV files. Speed up and Slow down 25% each way, Audio Transpose through a full octave and Centre Cancel Functionality.

Live sets is basically unlimited with a USB stick so that spec doesn't really wash. I don't know of too many keyboard players with 200 MUST HAVE setups in a single board though.

Still its a great live instrument. Best stage piano we've ever produced. I've been here since the days of the RD600.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2290694 - 06/16/14 07:44 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Morodiene]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Seems like this person is just comparing spec sheets...it doesn't appear they've played the RD-800 to really lend credibility to their opinion on things like action and the LCD screen.

Yes, good catch. The way the review is written does sound like more like a spec comparison than an instrument comparison.

Cheers,
James
x

#2290773 - 06/16/14 11:13 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Jay Roland
Both are Gone.

Wow. I assume this is in response to James' "I wasn't aware that MP3/SMF playback had been removed."

If so I'm pretty shocked. MP3 - who cares? But MIDI playback is pretty essential. I would have hoped the RD800 would finally be able to do MIDI to WAV conversion, like many Kawai DPs can currently do. This would be an extremely valuable feature (for some users) on a DP with a sound engine as powerful as the RD.

Jay, please tell me I'm wrong here. IMO, removing *any* feature is directionally incorrect on a flagship. People should be able to wash their dishes in the multiple kitchen sinks thrown in as a matter of course.

#2290804 - 06/17/14 01:10 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
The focus of the RD800 is live performance, and outstanding piano tone and touch and in that respect, it excels.

With so many backing tracks and WAV files available, is MIDI really a deal breaker? To some maybe. there are many workarounds for that if someone wants the best stage piano Roland makes. Or they could spend less money and get those features in an FA-08. Anything played on the RD800 can be recorded as a WAV file to a USB stick in its current form with its current firmware.

It's easy to say "Just throw everything in there!" but when the board costs $4000 to get it all in there, we don't sell as many, and frankly, you don't want them because they're too expensive. At the end of the day, the RD800 is less money than the 700NX, so something had to come out.

We put our newest and best sound engine and piano action in there. A new colour screen, and plenty of ways to set up the piano to be the perfect live instrument in an ensemble or solo piano situation. With tons of tweakability and ways to save your setups and MIDI assignments, it really checks the right boxes for it's primary users.

The MIDI to Audio conversion is interesting to me. And I will enquire about whether or not that is something that could be added in a future firmware update. It does exist in our HPi-50e Interactive Home Piano, so I know we have the technology to do so. It's just not something that has been a request from the RD user base.

At some point, you have to make an instrument that focuses on the users who primarily buy it. Our user base wanted outstanding piano tone and touch, lots of realtime control and some of our best other tones that worked in a live environment. Which we provided in spades. Feedback we've gotten from owners already is that this is heads and shoulders above it's predecessor in almost every respect.

So while I completely respect your opinion dewster, I don't know that I share it.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2290840 - 06/17/14 03:41 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Best stage piano we've ever produced. I've been here since the days of the RD600.

Jay

Pfft! If you'd been there since the days of the RD-1000 you wouldn't be saying it's the best Jay! Now THAT is the daddy. Without its pioneering spec you wouldn't have V-Piano or Supernatural now.

I should declare some bias and extreme emotional attachment to mine I suppose!

#2290852 - 06/17/14 05:35 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: EssBrace]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Best stage piano we've ever produced. I've been here since the days of the RD600.

Jay

Pfft! If you'd been there since the days of the RD-1000 you wouldn't be saying it's the best Jay! Now THAT is the daddy. Without its pioneering spec you wouldn't have V-Piano or Supernatural now.

The RD-1000 might be the pioneer. The RD-1000 might be the daddy. It might be as indestructible as Captain Scarlet (who died last Sunday, sadly).

But are you seriously, seriously saying that it is better than the 800 or the 700NX?

If you had the choice of only one DP for ever more, it would be the 1000 rather than the later incarnations?

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2290853 - 06/17/14 05:44 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Online   content

Loc: Worcester, UK
A slightly annoying inconsistencies in menu access of the RD-800...

The right cursor takes you into a sub-menu (same as pressing ENTER)
But the left cursor does not take you out of a sub-menu, you have to press the EXIT/SHIFT key.

Even in sub-menus like 'Individual Note Voicing' where the left/right cursor keys are used to navigate, the left cursor should be able to take you out and back to the menu.

I also feel they could simplify 'LIVE SET EDIT' access in the same way, by giving the user quicker access using the cursor buttons, as already mention above.

#2290854 - 06/17/14 05:50 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: toddy]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toddy

Jay

The RD-1000 might be the pioneer. The RD-1000 might be the daddy. It might be as indestructible as Captain Scarlet (who died last Sunday, sadly).

But are you seriously, seriously saying that it is better than the 800 or the 700NX?

If you had the choice of only one DP for ever more, it would be the 1000 rather than the later incarnations?

OT: An entertaining thread on the RD1000:

Roland RD1000 - is it an early "V" or just a curiosity?

#2290867 - 06/17/14 07:00 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: toddy]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom

Jay

Two very different questions there. No, I'm not saying it is better in an absolute sense - although in some ways it still is better. In two years it will be 30 years old and it is still a far more expressive musical instrument, in the truest sense of the word. And yes, I'm saying if I had to have one Roland for ever more it would be the RD-1000 over the later ones. No question.

What makes something good, better, best, great or the greatest can be judged in two ways - in an absolute sense or in a relative sense for its time - i.e., within the context or circumstances or prevailing standards of the day. In that sense the RD-1000 was THE pioneer. The Ultimate and definitive stage piano. The later ones have just been competitive with their class and completely unremarkable. Good? Yes. Practical? Yes. Reliable and well-built? For the most part, yes. But definitive? No. Ground-breaking? No. Standard-setters? No.

So whilst I accept this is more about semantics than anything there is a difference between best and greatest. Maybe the RD-800 is the best they've yet made - and in that sense Jay may well be right - and of course the RD-900 will be better again and so on. But there's no way the RD-800 is the greatest, not even close. What Roland and the others keep doing is repackaging the same old thing, over and over again with tiny incremental tweaks. Then it's all dressed up in marketing hyperbole to generate demand. It's not the product or the technology creating the demand, it's the advertising language.

#2290896 - 06/17/14 08:34 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: EssBrace]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

But there's no way the RD-800 is the greatest, not even close. What Roland and the others keep doing is repackaging the same old thing, over and over again with tiny incremental tweaks.

Well, if Roland keeps repackaging the the same old thing (RD1000) with tiny incremental tweaks. Then wouldn't the RD800 be at least equal to the greatest stage piano Roland has ever built?

#2290897 - 06/17/14 08:37 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: EssBrace]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Jay

Two very different questions there. No, I'm not saying it is better in an absolute sense - although in some ways it still is better. In two years it will be 30 years old and it is still a far more expressive musical instrument, in the truest sense of the word. And yes, I'm saying if I had to have one Roland for ever more it would be the RD-1000 over the later ones. No question.

What makes something good, better, best, great or the greatest can be judged in two ways - in an absolute sense or in a relative sense for its time - i.e., within the context or circumstances or prevailing standards of the day. In that sense the RD-1000 was THE pioneer. The Ultimate and definitive stage piano. The later ones have just been competitive with their class and completely unremarkable. Good? Yes. Practical? Yes. Reliable and well-built? For the most part, yes. But definitive? No. Ground-breaking? No. Standard-setters? No.

So whilst I accept this is more about semantics than anything there is a difference between best and greatest. Maybe the RD-800 is the best they've yet made - and in that sense Jay may well be right - and of course the RD-900 will be better again and so on. But there's no way the RD-800 is the greatest, not even close. What Roland and the others keep doing is repackaging the same old thing, over and over again with tiny incremental tweaks. Then it's all dressed up in marketing hyperbole to generate demand. It's not the product or the technology creating the demand, it's the advertising language.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but it appears Roland is the only major DP co. that removes features, deciding for the consumer that we don't need it.

Sorry Marko, I know you dreamed that this thread would be about user features, but somewhere it got derailed, as all threads do. wink

Edited by 36251 (06/17/14 08:38 AM)

#2290902 - 06/17/14 08:49 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thats ok - I get OT on my own threads. eek

But what you say can be said for Yamaha as well. A few features were hand picked or left out from the CP5 going to the CP4.

Edited by Marko in Boston (06/17/14 08:51 AM)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, acortot, 36251, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, 52 invisible), 1609 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75901 Members
42 Forums
156862 Topics
2304878 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Any interest in reviving the Denver area piano group?
by Colin Dunn
08/22/14 11:52 AM
Masterclass etiquette doubt
by Francisco Scalco
08/22/14 10:21 AM
Using the drum tracks on KAWAI MP6 piano
by Dr Jazz
08/22/14 08:39 AM
4K piano purchase question
by ConstantlyConfused
08/22/14 08:17 AM
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
08/22/14 07:39 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission