Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
140 registered (accordeur, 36251, anotherscott, Alexander Borro, Almaviva, 49 invisible), 1821 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2283231 - 05/30/14 09:31 AM ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
In the advent of the re-release of the RD800, I am starting this new thread for obviously RD-800 owners. We are seeing many random threads on RD800 but mostly demos and comparison, which are great. However, in this thread I'm hoping to build a robust collection of tips, tricks, instructions, tutorials, shortcuts, live sets, issues, etc for RD800 owners. What I am NOT looking for in this thread are post such as comparisons to other brands, non-informative demos or non-owner opinions saying you love or hate the RD800. Just user experience only or potential buyers inquiring on certain functions, performance, and features not easily found or explained in a manual or online.

I have been using the RD800 for approximately 4 months and I have learned a lot and still lots to learn. This thread is important to me as I particularly use the RD800 for gigs as tool that produces some income for me. It can only help to learn as much as possible.

So, with that said I will start off with an example of a simple tip for RD800 owners:

If you prefer the sound of the NX Concert Grand over the new Concert Grand but find the NX Concert Grand & NX Concert Mono sounding "nasally" at middle C via your PA, here's a simply fix.

1. Choose you NX Grand Concert or Mono
2. Hit Enter
3. Choose Individual Note Voicing (below Piano Designer)
4. tap middle C
5. use right arrow to go over to Character
6. Then press INC to 1 and listen to the difference. No more nasal!

Hope it helps!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2283263 - 05/30/14 11:49 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Radsurfdad Offline

Loc: California,U.S.A.
Marko I am replacing my M-Audio Controller. I am considering the MP7(which I have tried) the Physis K4 and the RD800. I know playing the feel of a keyboard is subjective but since you own an RD800 and I have not played one, I am interested in your opinion about the action and such. Considering the other two boards is the RD800 worth waiting for?
P.S. I'm in no hurry...
Thanks Marko

Edited by Radsurfdad (05/30/14 08:34 PM)

#2283651 - 05/31/14 07:39 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

As mentioned in my OP, I really do not want to get into comparisons between RD800 to other brands. I can probably give you a better answer if you tell me what your intentions are with the RD800 - whether it may be for home or stage use.

Regarding action: I do see that you are an organ guy, so Im not sure how much you would enjoy the heavy-like action of a PHA4 or RH2. You might prefer the action of a high end workstation. Anyway, from a piano perspective, the action on the RD800 feels very authentic and nicely weighted. Very similar to PHA3 but quieter. Texture and feel is simply great on the touch. I find it very sensitive in a good way maybe due to its proclaimed high resolution technology. Makes me believe that there is something in addition to just three sensors. Basically it allows you to be very detailed in your playing. I trust most advanced pianists would be pleased with the PHA4, maybe even somewhat impressed. But for advanced pianists that are classical enthusiasts I would still look into Kawai MP11 or even the VPC1 if a stage piano was needed.

Worth the wait?: I can't tell you that the RD800 is worth waiting for, that is up to you. I can tell you that it is certainly worth demoing if you have that opportunity in a few weeks when re-released. Same with MP7 - go demo it. I originally wanted to purchase the MP7 but I could not wait at the time before its release. I was getting pressure from my band to expand on our playlist quickly. I was in a bit of a rush so I immediately looked at NS2, CP4, and RD800. RD800 was the clear winner for what I needed at a fair price. Im sure MP7 will do just about everything the RD800 can do. So, your decision will simply come down to your personal preference of sound, features, and functionality. Good news is that you cant make a bad decision between these two outstanding boards.
BONUS: either board comes with Kawai James or Jay Roland for PW members wink

(Sorry no comment on Physis K4. I know nothing about Physis)

#2283757 - 05/31/14 01:51 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Digitalguy Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Hi Marko, I am back from a music store where I have tested several digital pianos, including the RD800.
First of all I would like to say that PHAIV is a clear improvement over PHAIII. It's less noisy than both PHAIII and Feel G (though a bit more than GF), and it has not that hard bottom out of the other 2 Roland actions.
It is also a bit heavier than PHAIII, though a bit lighter than Feel G, I'd say it's half way from this point of view.
Coming to the sound, I have a question for you. I tried several piano sounds including Concert grand and Studio Grand (that was somewhere down like 34th or so...), but could not find anything mentioning the V-Piano. Do you know which one it is?
I'll come back to the store this summer again as they are probably getting the VPC1 (they call me when they have it so that I can compared it to the MP11, which I tested today too), so I could have a listen again...
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2283759 - 05/31/14 01:57 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Radsurfdad Offline

Loc: California,U.S.A.
Marko my primary use for the keyboard is song writing at home. I have a real Hammond but write mostly on Piano. I had a real Baby grand (but no more).. this is why I am replacing my M-Audio Controller that I use with Galaxy Vintage D as well as other software. A stage piano could work as well. Thanks again for your input!

#2283769 - 05/31/14 02:25 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Digitalguy]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Digitalguy
but could not find anything mentioning the V-Piano. Do you know which one it is?

Hi Digitalguy,

You will not see any tone mentioning V. I believe the default Concert Grand is (or based on) the V-Piano Grand. Maybe Jay can elaborate on that.

#2283778 - 05/31/14 02:40 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Digitalguy Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Originally Posted By: Digitalguy
but could not find anything mentioning the V-Piano. Do you know which one it is?

Hi Digitalguy,

You will not see any tone mentioning V. I believe the default Concert Grand is (or based on) the V-Piano Grand. Maybe Jay can elaborate on that.

Thanks Marko, the default Concert Grand sounds virtually identical to the one on my (and most other) Roland DP, so I would say that is the normal Supernatural Concert Grand. Maybe Jay can tell us more...

Edited by Digitalguy (05/31/14 02:40 PM)
Edit Reason: typo
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2283779 - 05/31/14 02:43 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Radsurfdad]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Radsurfdad
Marko my primary use for the keyboard is song writing at home.

In that case, the RD800 would be an excellent choice for you especially if you are a songwriter. The RD has many additional usable voices that might inspire as well 200 rhythm patterns. You might also want to consider the FA-08 workstation if action is not your first priority. It is jam packed with many Integra sounds.

Also the RD800 is great if it's just staying at home and you don't have to move it to often as it is heavy and long. The MP7 might fare better for moving around as it is a couple pounds lighter and 2" shorter. But CP4 and any Casio stage DP wins for mobility.

#2284013 - 06/01/14 04:12 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
Roland have recently released System Version 1.04 for the RD-800

As well as fixing bugs previously reported, Roland have added a great new feature in the latest version of the software;
A numeric-keypad input function was added to Tone selection and Live Set selection.

How to know check the system program version of your RD-800.
1. Hold down [ DEC ] and [ INC ] and switch on the power to the unit.
2. After verifying the displayed version, switch off the power.

Bugs/anomalies in Program Version 1.04:

Tones 265-322: E.ORGAN's
Symptom: 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting is set to '[1] Normal' instead of '[5] Rotary', which would be the expected setting for E.ORGAN's. In comparison, the 10 'Tone Wheel Organs' numbered 255-264, are set to 'Rotary' as expected.
Reported: 9th July 2014 to Roland.co.uk
Verification: Awaited

Wish list

Layer/Zone Edit short-cut & Menu access
1. Enable direct access to the 'Layer Edit' screen ('Live Set Edit' > 'Layer Edit') using the right cursor key from the home screen.
2. Likewise, allow the left cursor to exit the this menu, or any sub-menu...
Currently there is an inconsistency in that, whilst the right cursor will take you from a menu into a sub-menu (same as using the ENTER key), the left cursor does not take you out, instead the user has to press the EXIT/SHIFT key.
Even in sub-menus like 'Individual Note Voicing' where the left/right cursor keys are used to navigate, the left cursor should be able to take you out and back to the previous menu.

Edited by bgiles (07/09/14 10:12 PM)
Edit Reason: Updated following release of new System Version

#2284308 - 06/01/14 06:53 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
plumpfingers Offline

Loc: Northern California
Just got a new RD-800 and am looking for which setting will give me a sound closest to a B-3 with a leslie tremelo effect (ala Jimmy Smith). I'm new to digital pianos, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

#2284318 - 06/01/14 07:40 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: plumpfingers]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: plumpfingers
Just got a new RD-800 and am looking for which setting will give me a sound closest to a B-3 with a leslie tremelo effect (ala Jimmy Smith). I'm new to digital pianos, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Using the RD-800's virtual tonewheel organ mode, set the base sound to 888000000 with slow/fast/stopped Leslie, and perhaps key percussion set to soft with third harmonic.

Adjust to taste.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2284329 - 06/01/14 08:23 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: plumpfingers]
petes1 Offline

Originally Posted By: plumpfingers

I don't see anything stupid here at all. A decent answer, especially one that got into the nuances of making the sound as realistic as possible, would help all. Having said that, I'm betting that many professional keyboard players would use a dual setup with a weighted keys keyboard such as the Roland RD800 together with a non-weighted keyboard, and that they would play most of the organ sounds through the non-weighted keyboard.

#2284354 - 06/01/14 10:30 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: petes1]
plumpfingers Offline

Loc: Northern California
Thanks very much Petes1 and Kawai James,
I'm far from a professional player but I certainly understand why Petes1 suggestion makes sense. I'm so new to this game that I'm struggling to execute the instructions from Kawai James. I'll be spending some time with the owner's manual to figure out how to set the bass sound, the leslie speed, etc. But I really appreciate all the help.

#2285533 - 06/04/14 07:36 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Cessquill Offline

Loc: Peterborough, UK
Speaking of organ sounds, can the drawbars be controlled over MIDI?

I was wondering whether it would be possible to hook up an un-weighted controller keyboard with drawbars and set up a patch such that the RD can handle the piano duties whilst I put the organ on a second tier.

#2290551 - 06/16/14 02:48 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
grandpianodave Offline

IS there any reason to get the 700NX over the 800?

#2290576 - 06/16/14 03:25 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: grandpianodave]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: grandpianodave

I read this over in the Roland Forums. Not sure if it answers your question but it's something to think about if you are considering the RD700nx. I only disagree on the action. I find the PHA4 action superb. Very similar to the RD700NX, but without the hard bottoming out and much quieter.

Edited by Marko in Boston (06/16/14 03:26 PM)

#2290673 - 06/16/14 07:18 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Interesting review specifications comparison.

I wasn't aware that MP3/SMF playback had been removed.

James
x

Edited by Kawai James (06/16/14 07:45 PM)
Edit Reason: As noted below, this reads more like a spec comparison than an actual hands-on review.

#2290678 - 06/16/14 07:27 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: grandpianodave

I read this over in the Roland Forums. Not sure if it answers your question but it's something to think about if you are considering the RD700nx. I only disagree on the action. I find the PHA4 action superb. Very similar to the RD700NX, but without the hard bottoming out and much quieter.

Seems like this person is just comparing spec sheets...it doesn't appear they've played the RD-800 to really lend credibility to their opinion on things like action and the LCD screen. In the end, it's a person's opinion, so you gotta check both out if you are considering either one.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2290683 - 06/16/14 07:30 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
Both are Gone.

The RD800 does offer some great audio manipulation tools for WAV files. Speed up and Slow down 25% each way, Audio Transpose through a full octave and Centre Cancel Functionality.

Live sets is basically unlimited with a USB stick so that spec doesn't really wash. I don't know of too many keyboard players with 200 MUST HAVE setups in a single board though.

Still its a great live instrument. Best stage piano we've ever produced. I've been here since the days of the RD600.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2290694 - 06/16/14 07:44 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Morodiene]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Seems like this person is just comparing spec sheets...it doesn't appear they've played the RD-800 to really lend credibility to their opinion on things like action and the LCD screen.

Yes, good catch. The way the review is written does sound like more like a spec comparison than an instrument comparison.

Cheers,
James
x

#2290773 - 06/16/14 11:13 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Jay Roland
Both are Gone.

Wow. I assume this is in response to James' "I wasn't aware that MP3/SMF playback had been removed."

If so I'm pretty shocked. MP3 - who cares? But MIDI playback is pretty essential. I would have hoped the RD800 would finally be able to do MIDI to WAV conversion, like many Kawai DPs can currently do. This would be an extremely valuable feature (for some users) on a DP with a sound engine as powerful as the RD.

Jay, please tell me I'm wrong here. IMO, removing *any* feature is directionally incorrect on a flagship. People should be able to wash their dishes in the multiple kitchen sinks thrown in as a matter of course.

#2290804 - 06/17/14 01:10 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

The focus of the RD800 is live performance, and outstanding piano tone and touch and in that respect, it excels.

With so many backing tracks and WAV files available, is MIDI really a deal breaker? To some maybe. there are many workarounds for that if someone wants the best stage piano Roland makes. Or they could spend less money and get those features in an FA-08. Anything played on the RD800 can be recorded as a WAV file to a USB stick in its current form with its current firmware.

It's easy to say "Just throw everything in there!" but when the board costs $4000 to get it all in there, we don't sell as many, and frankly, you don't want them because they're too expensive. At the end of the day, the RD800 is less money than the 700NX, so something had to come out.

We put our newest and best sound engine and piano action in there. A new colour screen, and plenty of ways to set up the piano to be the perfect live instrument in an ensemble or solo piano situation. With tons of tweakability and ways to save your setups and MIDI assignments, it really checks the right boxes for it's primary users.

The MIDI to Audio conversion is interesting to me. And I will enquire about whether or not that is something that could be added in a future firmware update. It does exist in our HPi-50e Interactive Home Piano, so I know we have the technology to do so. It's just not something that has been a request from the RD user base.

At some point, you have to make an instrument that focuses on the users who primarily buy it. Our user base wanted outstanding piano tone and touch, lots of realtime control and some of our best other tones that worked in a live environment. Which we provided in spades. Feedback we've gotten from owners already is that this is heads and shoulders above it's predecessor in almost every respect.

So while I completely respect your opinion dewster, I don't know that I share it.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2290840 - 06/17/14 03:41 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Best stage piano we've ever produced. I've been here since the days of the RD600.

Jay

Pfft! If you'd been there since the days of the RD-1000 you wouldn't be saying it's the best Jay! Now THAT is the daddy. Without its pioneering spec you wouldn't have V-Piano or Supernatural now.

I should declare some bias and extreme emotional attachment to mine I suppose!

#2290852 - 06/17/14 05:35 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: EssBrace]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Best stage piano we've ever produced. I've been here since the days of the RD600.

Jay

Pfft! If you'd been there since the days of the RD-1000 you wouldn't be saying it's the best Jay! Now THAT is the daddy. Without its pioneering spec you wouldn't have V-Piano or Supernatural now.

The RD-1000 might be the pioneer. The RD-1000 might be the daddy. It might be as indestructible as Captain Scarlet (who died last Sunday, sadly).

But are you seriously, seriously saying that it is better than the 800 or the 700NX?

If you had the choice of only one DP for ever more, it would be the 1000 rather than the later incarnations?

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2290853 - 06/17/14 05:44 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

A slightly annoying inconsistencies in menu access of the RD-800...

The right cursor takes you into a sub-menu (same as pressing ENTER)
But the left cursor does not take you out of a sub-menu, you have to press the EXIT/SHIFT key.

Even in sub-menus like 'Individual Note Voicing' where the left/right cursor keys are used to navigate, the left cursor should be able to take you out and back to the menu.

I also feel they could simplify 'LIVE SET EDIT' access in the same way, by giving the user quicker access using the cursor buttons, as already mention above.

#2290854 - 06/17/14 05:50 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: toddy]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toddy

Jay

The RD-1000 might be the pioneer. The RD-1000 might be the daddy. It might be as indestructible as Captain Scarlet (who died last Sunday, sadly).

But are you seriously, seriously saying that it is better than the 800 or the 700NX?

If you had the choice of only one DP for ever more, it would be the 1000 rather than the later incarnations?

OT: An entertaining thread on the RD1000:

Roland RD1000 - is it an early "V" or just a curiosity?

#2290867 - 06/17/14 07:00 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: toddy]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jay

Two very different questions there. No, I'm not saying it is better in an absolute sense - although in some ways it still is better. In two years it will be 30 years old and it is still a far more expressive musical instrument, in the truest sense of the word. And yes, I'm saying if I had to have one Roland for ever more it would be the RD-1000 over the later ones. No question.

What makes something good, better, best, great or the greatest can be judged in two ways - in an absolute sense or in a relative sense for its time - i.e., within the context or circumstances or prevailing standards of the day. In that sense the RD-1000 was THE pioneer. The Ultimate and definitive stage piano. The later ones have just been competitive with their class and completely unremarkable. Good? Yes. Practical? Yes. Reliable and well-built? For the most part, yes. But definitive? No. Ground-breaking? No. Standard-setters? No.

So whilst I accept this is more about semantics than anything there is a difference between best and greatest. Maybe the RD-800 is the best they've yet made - and in that sense Jay may well be right - and of course the RD-900 will be better again and so on. But there's no way the RD-800 is the greatest, not even close. What Roland and the others keep doing is repackaging the same old thing, over and over again with tiny incremental tweaks. Then it's all dressed up in marketing hyperbole to generate demand. It's not the product or the technology creating the demand, it's the advertising language.

#2290896 - 06/17/14 08:34 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: EssBrace]
500 Post Club Member

But there's no way the RD-800 is the greatest, not even close. What Roland and the others keep doing is repackaging the same old thing, over and over again with tiny incremental tweaks.

Well, if Roland keeps repackaging the the same old thing (RD1000) with tiny incremental tweaks. Then wouldn't the RD800 be at least equal to the greatest stage piano Roland has ever built?

#2290897 - 06/17/14 08:37 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: EssBrace]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Jay

Two very different questions there. No, I'm not saying it is better in an absolute sense - although in some ways it still is better. In two years it will be 30 years old and it is still a far more expressive musical instrument, in the truest sense of the word. And yes, I'm saying if I had to have one Roland for ever more it would be the RD-1000 over the later ones. No question.

What makes something good, better, best, great or the greatest can be judged in two ways - in an absolute sense or in a relative sense for its time - i.e., within the context or circumstances or prevailing standards of the day. In that sense the RD-1000 was THE pioneer. The Ultimate and definitive stage piano. The later ones have just been competitive with their class and completely unremarkable. Good? Yes. Practical? Yes. Reliable and well-built? For the most part, yes. But definitive? No. Ground-breaking? No. Standard-setters? No.

So whilst I accept this is more about semantics than anything there is a difference between best and greatest. Maybe the RD-800 is the best they've yet made - and in that sense Jay may well be right - and of course the RD-900 will be better again and so on. But there's no way the RD-800 is the greatest, not even close. What Roland and the others keep doing is repackaging the same old thing, over and over again with tiny incremental tweaks. Then it's all dressed up in marketing hyperbole to generate demand. It's not the product or the technology creating the demand, it's the advertising language.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but it appears Roland is the only major DP co. that removes features, deciding for the consumer that we don't need it.

Sorry Marko, I know you dreamed that this thread would be about user features, but somewhere it got derailed, as all threads do. wink

Edited by 36251 (06/17/14 08:38 AM)

#2290902 - 06/17/14 08:49 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

Thats ok - I get OT on my own threads. eek

But what you say can be said for Yamaha as well. A few features were hand picked or left out from the CP5 going to the CP4.

Edited by Marko in Boston (06/17/14 08:51 AM)

#2290912 - 06/17/14 09:04 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Judicious cutting out of features is OK. If you didn't do that, professional keyboards would still come with a floppy disc drive - even cassette tape interface for downloads and uploads. Now you don't see those too often these days, not even on most Clavinovas.

#2290924 - 06/17/14 09:25 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Thats ok - I get OT on my own threads. eek

But what you say can be said for Yamaha as well. A few features were hand picked or left out from the CP5 going to the CP4.
Agreed but Yamaha has created a new line (the CP1/5 are not called "stage.") The RD-800 is a continued line, like the FP4f, which both of those lines had nice features removed.

#2290928 - 06/17/14 09:34 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: 36251]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 36251
Agreed but Yamaha has created a new line (the CP1/5 are not called "stage.").

The previous generation CP1/CP5/CP50 models were undeniably stage pianos.
The CP4/CP40 is a continuation of the existing line.

#2290932 - 06/17/14 09:39 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: 36251]
500 Post Club Member

Agreed but Yamaha has created a new line (the CP1/5 are not called "stage.")

I think EssBrace said it best...

Then it's all dressed up in marketing hyperbole to generate demand. It's not the product or the technology creating the demand, it's the advertising language.

#2290940 - 06/17/14 09:43 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Agreed but Yamaha has created a new line (the CP1/5 are not called "stage.").

The previous generation CP1/CP5/CP50 models were undeniably stage pianos.
The CP4/CP40 is a continuation of the this line.
Sure but when you search on their website they split it using the word "Stage." Sure this might be a marketing ploy but anyone can see they abandoned the architecture and redesigned.

Kawai adds features and continues product lines. I commend them for that and enjoy that you keep the "spins" to a very minimum, unlike other reps on this site.

#2290949 - 06/17/14 10:00 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: 36251]
500 Post Club Member

Sure this might be a marketing ploy but anyone can see they abandoned the architecture and redesigned.

Well, in that theory, So did the RD800, MP7, MP10. All have new designs and engines.

Yamaha just added the word "STAGE". But It's still a CP series

Edited by Marko in Boston (06/17/14 10:02 AM)

#2290957 - 06/17/14 10:15 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Sure this might be a marketing ploy but anyone can see they abandoned the architecture and redesigned.

Well, in that theory, So did the RD800, MP7, MP10. All have new designs and engines.

Hey, I'm no cheer leader for Yamaha, so you'all are right and I'm wrong. I don't start these issues but when I read the reasons why Roland took something out, it infuriates me how people can spin anything!!!!

#2290964 - 06/17/14 10:26 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: 36251]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

The RD-800 is a continued line, like the FP4f, which both of those lines had nice features removed.

Except for the added SN, FP4 => FP4F was an evisceration.

Someone in Roland had the brainwave of re-imagining the internal architecture for this DP line which killed a lot of what was good in there. Not sure why they drew a line at the RD-700NX but I'm glad they did. The NX got the "live set" nonsense but MIDIing into it is a snap, unlike the FP4F and FP7F and others, where you have to be a MIDI Einstein and spend huge amounts of quality time experimenting and reading between the lines of the manual. Several here have tried, only one or perhaps two have succeeded in cracking the FP7F MIDI nut. Perhaps SW platform inheritance is why MIDI file playback was removed from the RD800? If so, it's a bad sign.

#2290975 - 06/17/14 10:37 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: dewster]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
The RD-800 is a continued line, like the FP4f, which both of those lines had nice features removed.

Except for the added SN, FP4 => FP4F was an evisceration.

Someone in Roland had the brainwave of re-imagining the internal architecture for this DP line which killed a lot of what was good in there. Not sure why they drew a line at the RD-700NX but I'm glad they did. The NX got the "live set" nonsense but MIDIing into it is a snap, unlike the FP4F and FP7F and others, where you have to be a MIDI Einstein and spend huge amounts of quality time experimenting and reading between the lines of the manual. Several here have tried, only one or perhaps two have succeeded in cracking the FP7F MIDI nut. Perhaps SW platform inheritance is why MIDI file playback was removed from the RD800? If so, it's a bad sign.
I always appreciate your input and logic, thank you.

#2291225 - 06/17/14 06:08 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

But there's no way the RD-800 is the greatest, not even close. What Roland and the others keep doing is repackaging the same old thing, over and over again with tiny incremental tweaks.

Well, if Roland keeps repackaging the the same old thing (RD1000) with tiny incremental tweaks. Then wouldn't the RD800 be at least equal to the greatest stage piano Roland has ever built?

Not really. The RD-1000 is not the thing they have repackaged in the RD line. It was a completely different technology which is fully modelled. From RD-500 onwards (1994) they have basically followed the same (sample-based) path with the RD series. The RD-1000 ultimately gave birth to V-Piano many years later after a total break in Roland's development of modelled acoustic piano sounds. Roland returned to the technology and developed it for a further ten years (initially on other instrument sounds and drums) before the launch of V-Piano.

#2291229 - 06/17/14 06:15 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

I think you'd actually be surprised how much of the current supernatural engine actually is Modelling vs. PCM. It surprised the heck out of me.

#2291321 - 06/17/14 09:21 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
GWILLY Offline

Jay, I recently picked up the RD800. Can you confirm which of the sounds is supposed to be the "Studio Grand" sound from the NX? I'm getting confused by this. Regards. G.

#2291354 - 06/17/14 10:23 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

Patch number 034. It's the Studio Grand. Not my favourite but useful for many situations. There's a few variations on that tone.

Here's the tone list for download if you need it:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=RD-800&id=63073815

Edited by Jay Roland (06/17/14 10:24 PM)

#2291408 - 06/18/14 12:57 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Tuneless Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
Do the alternate piano patches have as many layers as the primary piano? I just got the FP-50, and there are not many pianos to chose from, so I would like to know if one uses one of the high number piano sounds, or for me, pianos in the 'Other' bank, if they are as good in quality of implementation and have the extras like string resonance?

Hope this is a general enough question that I am not redirecting this thread, Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano(yet) and couldn't tune a guitar, much less a piano.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

#2291419 - 06/18/14 01:20 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

On the RD800 there are 33 total Supernatural Acoustic pianos on board. All based on an 88 key 4 level multi sample, with Modelling filling in the gaps for 128 total levels of expression. There are 3 total variations of the SuperNatural Acoustic Pianos on the FP-50.

SuperNatural Acoustic Pianos are the patches with the most tonal variation, The higher number (generally GM2 and PCM based patches) don't have the tonal variation that the SuperNatural instruments have.

Jay

#2291922 - 06/19/14 04:02 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
bgiles Offline

On the RD800 there are 33 total Supernatural Acoustic pianos on board. All based on an 88 key 4 level multi sample, with Modelling filling in the gaps for 128 total levels of expression.
Jay

I had no idea that the SuperNATURAL Acoustic Pianos were sample based, with modelling filling in the velocity level gaps, I thought they were entirely modelled based on the sample. shocked

#2292049 - 06/19/14 11:15 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Maltin Offline

Hi there.

This thread is a really good idea.
I'm looking for tips to the RD-800.

Here is my question:
The RD-800 Upright piano has a too little sustain for my opinion.
What can I do to last the tones longer to get a more realistic Upright sound?

Thanks
Martin

#2292051 - 06/19/14 11:31 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Maltin]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Maltin
Hi there.

This thread is a really good idea.
I'm looking for tips to the RD-800.

Here is my question:
The RD-800 Upright piano has a too little sustain for my opinion.
What can I do to last the tones longer to get a more realistic Upright sound?

Thanks
Martin

Hi Martin and welcome!

Im not in front of my RD800 at the moment but try this:

- go to Upright Piano
- Enter
- go to Sympathetic Resonance
- go to Depth
- Default will be around 52 crank it all the way to 127 and play something. then dial it down to a number you like.

Also, turn on Modulation FX and tool around with the pitch shifter a bit. It just might sound like a realistic upright when slightly off pitch +/-2cent.

Im sure there are many other tweaks, but try that for starters. I will look into it more tonight.

Marko

Edited by Marko in Boston (06/19/14 11:35 AM)

#2292062 - 06/19/14 11:50 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: bgiles]
Jay Roland Offline

Originally Posted By: bgiles
On the RD800 there are 33 total Supernatural Acoustic pianos on board. All based on an 88 key 4 level multi sample, with Modelling filling in the gaps for 128 total levels of expression.
Jay

I had no idea that the SuperNATURAL Acoustic Pianos were sample based, with modelling filling in the velocity level gaps, I thought they were entirely modelled based on the sample. shocked

It was a total oversimplification of what the modelling tech actually does, but at it's core yes that's what SuperNatural does. Also, all the resonances (String, Hammer, Key-Off, Duplex Scale, etc etc etc.) are also controlled and changed dynamically by SuperNatural. There's more, but I hope this clears it up a bit.

Jay

#2292101 - 06/19/14 01:13 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
bgiles Offline

Thanks Jay, there's obviously a lot going on under the hood!

Been fiddling since February to get the perfect Piano, as I found the default settings for 'Concert Grand' just a little to mellow.
Tried changing the character (which is what 'Bright Concert' does at +2), but found it a little too hard.

Then opened the lid (Menu > Tremolo/Amp Simulator) from 5 to 7, and wow, so much more 'open' in the mid range.

I wonder if 7 equates opening the lid fully on a concert grand, or actually removing it?

My default pianos in the live sets are now;
'Concert Grand' with lid at 7, and
'NX Concert Grand' with lid at 7.

#2292105 - 06/19/14 01:17 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

On the home series that had graphics corresponding with the lid adjustment. 7 was in fact pictured as off.

Whether or not that meant off, not sure. but yeah the sound opened up greatly.

I like a darker mellower tone so I usually hover around 3 or 4.

I'll post some patches on the Roland Canada Blog soon with some Grand, Upright and E. Piano customizations. When i do so, I will make sure to share here. I have to get a road trip in Alberta out of the way first though.

Jay

#2295036 - 06/25/14 09:35 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
GWILLY Offline

I would absolutely love it, if customizations could be posted to this thread. There seems to be so many ways the RDs can be voiced. And so many different *nuance types* etc... not to mention the EPs and Organs. But I remember once getting a pretty involved customization to an EP on the RD700GX - that was so much better than the stock selections. So please Jay, if you hear some compelling mods - please post them!! smile

#2295386 - 06/26/14 04:14 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

I do like my RD-800, but the more I use it, the more I get the feeling that 'System Programming' wasn't fully developed before release...

When selecting an E.ORGAN from 'Tone' bank 5, with the exception of the 10 'Tone Wheel Organs' (255-264), all the remaining (265-322) have the 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting on '[1] Normal' instead of '[5] Rotary' and ON.

This means that you have to change the setting to get to what should be the default, and then save it off to a 'Live Set', which I think is crazy!

#2295426 - 06/26/14 05:38 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: GWILLY]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GWILLY
There seems to be so many ways the RDs can be voiced. And so many different *nuance types* etc... not to mention the EPs and Organs.

Speaking of organs, I rarely use organs but RD800 has been inspiring me! I must say the the RD800 organs (SN and non-SN) sound pretty incredible. I was just playing something easy and popular from the Animals, so popular that the RD800 already has preset for it: #282 "Rising Son" I love making it a little just a bit gritty with Amp Sim drive. Also, just started messing around with A Whiter Shade of Pale. I would really love to try something like Greg Allmans's slow version of Whipping Post with my band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-B9ijxkhaA

#2295559 - 06/26/14 10:24 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: 36251]
Jay Roland Offline

Hey, I'm no cheer leader for Yamaha, so you'all are right and I'm wrong. I don't start these issues but when I read the reasons why Roland took something out, it infuriates me how people can spin anything!!!!

I object to your characterization of my posts regarding the RD800. At no point did I provide any explanation for why anything was taken out. I provided an alternative for what could be done with the features that do still exist. And said that I would inquire about some others. No spin there.

I just saw these comments. Completely unwarranted and completely false.

Jay

#2295769 - 06/27/14 12:19 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

Roland's official notice released with options and gifts for us owners:

http://www.rolandus.com/go/rd-800/

Gifts; which one are you going for?

Edited by Marko in Boston (06/27/14 12:45 PM)

#2295774 - 06/27/14 12:31 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

That's ok. It's a decent gesture and I think it will just about retain the goodwill they could have lost.

I'm not an owner - but I'd take the pedals. I had them with my FP-7F and they are pretty nice quality. Not sure most gigging people will want the pedals though.

#2295776 - 06/27/14 12:33 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I object to your characterization of my posts regarding the RD800. Jay
My comments written after a feature was not included on RD800, was not directed related to the RD800. Removing that feature and how you explained it, brought up my feelings about the newer versions of the FP4, a piano I held dear to my heart and thought about upgrading to newer versions only to find that Roland removed most insert effects and on/off switch for internal speakers, etc.

It's the general sense I get from Roland, that these decisions are made without the best interest of the players who purchase your products, which is why I commented. I'm seeing a pattern and maybe I'm wrong, but like everyone here, it's my opinion, which, I agree, don't mean that much.

#2295777 - 06/27/14 12:34 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Cessquill Offline

I'd quite happily take the pedals for gigging. Assuming they can be custom assigned for things like stop/start fast/slow on an Organ. Handy for the early buyers, not so much for those that waited patiently for a re-release (or those outside of the US, if it is US-only).

Pleased for you.

#2295781 - 06/27/14 12:54 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

Is this nonsense really necessary? Do I have to install it in order to "legally" sell or trade-in my RD800?

Here'e the remedy kit and instructions.

http://www.rolandus.com/go/rd-800/images/RD-800_Installation_Instructions.pdf

#2295787 - 06/27/14 01:09 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: 36251]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I object to your characterization of my posts regarding the RD800. Jay
My comments written after a feature was not included on RD800, was not directed related to the RD800. Removing that feature and how you explained it, brought up my feelings about the newer versions of the FP4, a piano I held dear to my heart and thought about upgrading to newer versions only to find that Roland removed most insert effects and on/off switch for internal speakers, etc.

It's the general sense I get from Roland, that these decisions are made without the best interest of the players who purchase your products, which is why I commented. I'm seeing a pattern and maybe I'm wrong, but like everyone here, it's my opinion, which, I agree, don't mean that much.

Not that it's my argument, but I think you missed the point of Jay's unease. I would have thought it was this "Kawai adds features and continues product lines. I commend them for that and enjoy that you keep the "spins" to a very minimum, unlike other reps on this site."

#2295793 - 06/27/14 01:15 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

Is this nonsense really necessary? Do I have to install it in order to "legally" sell or trade-in my RD800?

Here'e the remedy kit and instructions.

http://www.rolandus.com/go/rd-800/images/RD-800_Installation_Instructions.pdf

US law methinks? Nothing to do with Roland.

#2295797 - 06/27/14 01:24 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: spanishbuddha]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha

US law methinks? Nothing to do with Roland.

I think you are right. I also believe the attorneys a had a feeding frenzy on Roland holding this whole thing up for months. Poor Roland must of taking a huge financial hit with this one just in legal fee's let alone total halt on selling their flagship stage piano for three months.

But I bet a there are a few attorneys that bought a yacht just in time for summer compliments of Roland.

#2295799 - 06/27/14 01:30 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

Do I have to install it in order to "legally" sell or trade-in my RD800?

That would be my interpretation.

Nothing on the Roland UK site as yet, but when it appears, I'll apply for the kit, and fix it should I ever sell the keyboard.

I'm assuming you'll also have to prove have fitted the kit & stickers to get the free gifts, but I'm not bothered, as I always use an EV-5, and have accumulated three DP-8/10 pedals.

#2295804 - 06/27/14 01:43 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: spanishbuddha]
BarryDMD Offline

Loc: Warwick, RI
After seeing the Power Cord Misconnection Prevention Kit on the Roland

site, it confirmed my suspicions that Rube Goldberg is still alive.

barrydmd

#2295814 - 06/27/14 02:06 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: bgiles]
500 Post Club Member

I'm assuming you'll also have to prove have fitted the kit & stickers to get the free gifts,

If thats true, I think I better sharpen up my Photoshop skills

#2295826 - 06/27/14 02:35 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: spanishbuddha]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
Not that it's my argument, but I think you missed the point of Jay's unease. I would have thought it was this "Kawai adds features and continues product lines. I commend them for that and enjoy that you keep the "spins" to a very minimum, unlike other reps on this site."

Yeah, that was a bit of a dig. Jay is good rep and kind enough to jump into PW and try to help out as James and Mike do so well. It's not easy that's for sure. I believe his intention are sincere in representing Roland. He is simply justifying product features and not spinning anything IMO.

But we are a tough crew here on the forum and these reps have to have a thick skin when we bitch about their products not measuring up to our perfect standards. But it is clear that we all appreciate and respect James and Mike. Same should go for Jay.

Edited by Marko in Boston (06/27/14 02:38 PM)

#2295838 - 06/27/14 03:22 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

If that's true, I think I better sharpen up my Photoshop skills

Just spotted the "RD-800 Installation Confirmation Form" on http://www.rolandus.com/go/rd-800/.

You have to confirm you have fitted all FOUR stickers, take a photo of the fitted modification, sign, date and return the form.

All very legally orientated!

Furthermore, the 'Storage Method' shown in the installation instructions confirms my suspicion that the modification may well have transportation implications for many users.

#2295881 - 06/27/14 05:50 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

......... Jay is good rep and kind enough to jump into PW and try to help out as James and Mike do so well. It's not easy that's for sure. I believe his intention are sincere in representing Roland. He is simply justifying product features and not spinning anything IMO.

But we are a tough crew here on the forum and these reps have to have a thick skin when we bitch about their products not measuring up to our perfect standards. But it is clear that we all appreciate and respect James and Mike. Same should go for Jay.

Yes, very well put - you'd need to have the diplomatic skills of a UN boss (or better) to be a company representative taking part on this forum. I wouldn't last one week. I would disgrace myself and the company I was supposed to be representing grin

#2296027 - 06/28/14 02:01 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)

Best stage piano we've ever produced.

Jay

Oh no its not .... not even close

The RD1000 is the best stage piano Roland has made or will ever make.

That said I like my RD800 but what the hecks this recall about?

Any idiot who plugs the A/C into the XLR deserves electrocution.

#2296028 - 06/28/14 02:08 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LOL !!!!! I just saw all this ... nobody is going to do that to their RD800 ... it ruins it.
Can't put it in a case .... bloody ridiculous
Stay away from it.... and stop cowering to lawyers Roland !

#2296029 - 06/28/14 02:12 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: EssBrace]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

[ The RD-1000 is not the thing they have repackaged in the RD line.

No the RD-1000 was (and is) Roland's best ever stage piano

By MILES ....

#2296030 - 06/28/14 02:19 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: toddy]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yep ... RD-1000 was a real instrument... sounded nothing like a piano but nothing else sounded like it either.

Just a fabulous board and has to be on anyone's all time favorite lists.

Rolands problem is they have a lot of boards on that all time favorites list ... but all of them are 25 years old or older.

Modern boards may be better technically, more versatile, easier to use, more practical .... but they are artificial.

I've just finished playing a tour where my stage piano was a miked up C7 grand .... and frankly I forgot how great it was to play the real deal.

#2296079 - 06/28/14 07:35 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Dr Popper]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
I've just finished playing a tour where my stage piano was a miked up C7 grand .... and frankly I forgot how great it was to play the real deal.

Well whatever the tour was, I wish I'd been there. A decent C7 is the business! Maybe the all time best rock/pop/contemporary piano. The C7 is the reason we all have that Yamaha sonic imprint in our minds. I wonder how many records a C7 has graced...

#2296093 - 06/28/14 09:11 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Dr Popper]
500 Post Club Member

Wow nice to have the real deal live. Who were you on tour with?

#2296118 - 06/28/14 10:37 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I don't think we are all that tough of a crew to deal with. But reps have to wear so many hats it can get rather confusing as to the role they play here. Reps might be able to help if you have a problem, but mostly they're here to cheerlead their latest products. It's a two edged sword.

I'd be happier if they were more open about the technology in their products, but I understand they can get in trouble for revealing too much, even if the information itself may be quite mundane (corporations are nothing if not excessively secretive).

Reps often take criticism toward a product they represent personally, which I find rather odd. When you make products, all criticism is good criticism, and when those who have bought your products in the past, or stand a good chance of buying your products in the future, take the time to raise issues with them, I think you're crazy not to listen. So I don't get it when reps get a case of butthurt, or act to shut down debate. I can only suppose that this kind of talk gets dealt with harshly inside closed doors, and they are acting reflexively.

I'm not here to bury them, but I'm not here to blindly praise them either. Off duty they are probably the nicest guys in the world, but their motives for being here in the first place are generally ulterior to that. Companies exist primarily to make money, any secondary reasons are usually way down the list. So a friendly rep is something of a wolf in sheep's clothing and should be handled accordingly. I imagine this is one of the reasons why PW has rules that require reps to clearly out themselves in the fora.

#2296137 - 06/28/14 11:34 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
+1 re Dewster's comments. But I think we all know when reps are wearing their company hats, as they tend to yank them way down over their ears! wink They really are walking a tightrope, sometimes.

FYI:
"Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission."
(Pulled from a U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission document.)

#2296150 - 06/28/14 12:39 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: bgiles]
BarryDMD Offline

Loc: Warwick, RI
Will the new rd-800's that Roland ships have the Misconnection Prevention Kit

or something neater ?

barrydmd

#2296153 - 06/28/14 12:45 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: BarryDMD]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BarryDMD

or something neater ?

barrydmd

Im sure the the next production run will have a three pin C13. I would be "shocked" if does not. (...I know, I couldn't resit)

#2296158 - 06/28/14 12:54 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

It's easy to say "Just throw everything in there!" but when the board costs $4000 to get it all in there, we don't sell as many, and frankly, you don't want them because they're too expensive. At the end of the day, the RD800 is less money than the 700NX, so something had to come out.
That sounds like spin to me.

We put our newest and best sound engine and piano action in there. A new colour screen, and plenty of ways to set up the piano to be the perfect live instrument in an ensemble or solo piano situation. With tons of tweakability and ways to save your setups and MIDI assignments, it really checks the right boxes for it's primary users.
You decide?

The MIDI to Audio conversion is interesting to me. And I will enquire about whether or not that is something that could be added in a future firmware update. It does exist in our HPi-50e Interactive Home Piano, so I know we have the technology to do so. It's just not something that has been a request from the RD user base.
I'm sure we would.

At some point, you have to make an instrument that focuses on the users who primarily buy it. Our user base wanted outstanding piano tone and touch, lots of realtime control and some of our best other tones that worked in a live environment. Which we provided in spades. Feedback we've gotten owners already is that this is heads and shoulders above it's predecessor in almost every respect.
Obviously, anyone who questioned the removal weren't on the primary buying list.

So while I completely respect your opinion dewster, I don't know that I share it.
We'll never really know, will we?

If you just stated that you'll find out from a technology reason why the feature was remove, yet is still available on lower priced products then it wouldn't of triggered my objection. And if you find out the reason then maybe you can explain to me why was the product line of the FP4 was neutered?

I'm interested, not from a user, but my interest in corporations and how/why decisions are made.

If my car had a reverse transmission that had multiple gears and then I bought the new version and it only had a single gear reverse, then I can grasp why it was removed but all professional musicians are not alike so why remove features that are useful.

My problem with this whole subject is it appears that Roland thinks it knows how to split up its many product lines and I respectfully disagree with their view. I mean an engineer at Roland designed the RD800 AC receptacle and some management team ok'd it and now there's the recall. Just maybe the leadership is not as intune with the consumer as they think.

I know you have a fine line to walk and I'm sorry if I offended you, but you gave me the chance to talk to the Roland company more directly, then I've ever been able to and I took that opportunity.

Edited by 36251 (06/28/14 12:57 PM)

#2296182 - 06/28/14 02:03 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Dr Popper]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

RD-1000 was a real instrument... sounded nothing like a piano but nothing else sounded like it either.

Just a fabulous board and has to be on anyone's all time favorite lists.

Roland's problem is they have a lot of boards on that all time favorites list ... but all of them are 25 years old or older.

They were giants back then. They must have taken some risks and let their imagination or ingenuity run wild, and hope for the best.

It paid off with the JP4, JP8, TR808, SH101, RD1000 and lots of innovative stuff like D50, MKS modules etc.

They should have pulled off the same trick with the V-Piano (and other V-Things?). But it doesn't seem quite to have the same panache, or cause the same admiration.

Could it be that we, the buyers, are playing safe? We obviously expect much more for much less. Or is it just that the corporate mood has become more and more risk averse?

Maybe the old sparky aspect of the RD800 was the dying ember of a culture that's now lost forever.

#2296194 - 06/28/14 02:25 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: BarryDMD

or something neater ?

barrydmd

I'm sure the the next production run will have a three pin C13. I would be "shocked" if does not. (...I know, I couldn't resit)

I'm not convinced we will see a change until the next model comes out, as to change the cut-out on the connection panel for a C13 socket, and a redesign on the power PCB to which the socket is soldered, may prove too costly to justify.

We will have to wait and see, as if they were to change it, you can be sure Roland aren't going to announcements it until existing stocks are exhausted.

#2296201 - 06/28/14 02:47 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
bgiles
I think Roland will probably wait and see how the changes are impacting sales, now that the fix is in place. It might even be that all this "negative" publicity will increase sales of the current model (you know the old line, so such thing as bad publicity) just because they've gotten so much free press over this. But, if it seems like sales are being negatively impacted in a significant way because the majority of their target market aren't happy with Roland's solution to the problem, I suspect that they'll rework the power supply to fix these issues with a revised model. Time will tell, but I think roland would be crazy not to come up with a redesign that they could move to quickly if they need to. So I bet there's a lab somewhere where a redesign is being done and tested just in case it's needed. Of course, that's a wild guess...who knows what madness lurks in the hearts of corporate CFO's smile

Warm Regards

#2296220 - 06/28/14 03:53 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: 36251]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I know you have a fine line to walk and I'm sorry if I offended you, but you gave me the chance to talk to the Roland company more directly, then I've ever been able to and I took that opportunity.

As opposed to powerless, know-nothing flacks in call centers, reps are a very real human contact that the public can have with a company. So it's hard to resist the urge to unload on them over every issue both major and minor with the products we use and spend quite a bit of cash for. We want to help them in the optimization process, which should be mostly win-win all the way around if you think about it. Lord knows DPs could stand a bit of optimization, they're practically poster children for products stuck in a technological backwater.

#2296224 - 06/28/14 04:07 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
FWIW, here's my take on the Roland situation.

The screwup with the RD800 - a flagship product - seems to be the result of two things. First, forgetting that, in good design, form follows function; and second, that trying to save the last few cents on production costs can be counterproductive. Truly understanding how your customers use products would have sorted out the first issue: all live keyboard players need to be able to have a reference point visible from the front of the instrument as to where the various plugs and jacks should be seated. Then, saving ten cents fitting a non-standard power socket is just not worth it - there's a reason why Nord is transitioning to using standard three-pin power cords and sockets. For goodness sake, how many people interested in a flagship keyboard will refuse to buy simply because Roland changes the $2,499 retail price to $2,500 to accomodate the additional cost of the componentry (if there is indeed any additional cost - the cynic in me would think that it has more to do with trying to sell accessories that are less readily available off the shelf)? And of course, the resulting "fix" is likely to alienate more people. It's a shame, as I bet the sound quality is superb. In the end, there was absolutely no reason for this debacle, if they'd thought about the reason for designing the earlier RDs the way they did.

As far as the FP line is concerned, I concur with 36251. The FP4 was a really useful gigging tool for people who couldn't cope with the length of the RDs, didn't need mod/pitchbend facilities, but required speakers built-in from time-to-time. The later 4F and 50, while gaining the excellent SN sound, lost some other great sounds, a good portion of the functionality and an imperfect but usefully fast action. The new, louder speakers were, superficially, a boon, but they couldn't handle the full range of sounds, and they were no longer switchable. Also gone was a great lightweight but very robust metal chassis. I'm guessing that the Roland execs wanted to differentiate the lines and "force" people towards the more expensive RD range. What it actually has done is force people like me into the Casio/Yamaha/Kawai camps.

I, too, have loved Roland products over the years. My old SA-based piano was a favorite of mine for years, and was an outstanding product for its time. I think, despite some design limitations, the VR-09 is a fantastic buy right now, and teaches Nord a lesson or two. But, I get the impression that the tail is wagging the dog more and more at Roland HQ. Listening to customers is the best way for a business to survive, in my opinion, and noting that Roland has had some financial issues in the past few years, it would probably be a good time for them to revisit that maxim.

#2296237 - 06/28/14 04:54 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: fizikisto]
bgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
I think Roland will probably wait and see how the changes are impacting sales, now that the fix is in place....But, if it seems like sales are being negatively impacted in a significant way because the majority of their target market aren't happy with Roland's solution to the problem, I suspect that they'll rework the power supply to fix these issues with a revised model. Time will tell, but I think Roland would be crazy not to come up with a redesign that they could move to quickly if they need to.

The crazy thing is that, there IS a option available to them that would not impact the production line in any way, and that would be to put a pair of sprung XLR covers over the 2 outputs.

This would have removed the safety risk, and resulted in only the minor inconvenience to users of lifting a cover to use the outputs.

Originally Posted By: voxpops
All live keyboard players need to be able to have a reference point visible from the front of the instrument as to where the various plugs and jacks should be seated.

The sloping up of the connection face on the RD-700 series made connections easy, and it also would have minimised the possibility of a misconnection after they also made the mistake of changing the power connector to C7.

The connections on the RD-800 are no longer on the upper casing, probably because it's now plastic (as opposed to aluminium on the RD-700), instead they are on the lower back plate, which is metal.
So relocating them was probably down to the cost saving of reducing the steel content of the keyboard.

I guess to change casing design on the current model would be prohibitively expensive.

#2296343 - 06/28/14 10:30 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: bgiles]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

The crazy thing is that, there IS a option available to them that would not impact the production line in any way, and that would be to put a pair of sprung XLR covers over the 2 outputs.

Unfortunately, this would not fully prevent users from connecting the power cable to the XLR jacks.

James
x

#2296412 - 06/29/14 02:37 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
bgiles Offline

Unfortunately, this would not fully prevent users from connecting the power cable to the XLR jacks.
x

James, the 'potential safety issue' exists because the user, who can't easily see the connections from the front, decide to 'feel' their way with the C8 plug until they find a socket where it fits.
Putting sprung covers over the XLR's prevents them finding an open socket that would accommodate the C8 plug, other than the designated C7 on the end.

Are you saying that a manufacturer could still be held responsible if a user 'lifts a cover' to plug the mains lead into the wrong socket?

That would take liability laws to a farcical level, and would leave Roland no option but to change back to a C13 at some point, and swallow the associated costs.

#2296420 - 06/29/14 03:21 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: bgiles]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Are you saying that a manufacturer could still be held responsible if a user 'lifts a cover' to plug the mains lead into the wrong socket?

I'm afraid I don't know.

James
x

#2296569 - 06/29/14 01:33 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
GWILLY Offline

Well, after a full month with the RD800, I am extremely pleased. IMO listening to any of the demo's is not going to give you an idea of how good and deeply customizable the pianos and ep's are. The sounds to me have way more clarity then the RD700NX did, and mostly dimension. I gigged with the NX for 3 years. The GX for a couple before this, and before that an RD1000. And yes for it's time, the RD 1000 was incredible. It was also 5000$ (in the 80's!!) I would never ever think of trading an RD800 for the RD1000 today. By current standards, they just don't sound good at all. And keyaction was AMAZING for the time, but in my view repeatability was not and good as current top actions. It's just apples and oranges. The RD was an SA "instrument" let's put it that way. The pianos, sound more to my ear like some strange horn. It was very engaging to play though, impossible to transport (though I did) and the keys would clunk like crazy after a few years of moving the thing around. I think of it more like I think of a Wurly, or a Rhodes, and wouldn't compare it as a "Digital Piano". So I would agree with Jay that the RD800 is the best DP Roland has ever designed for stage.

Edited by GWILLY (06/29/14 03:31 PM)

#2296579 - 06/29/14 01:48 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
GWILLY Offline

One other thing I especially love - is the individual note editing. I can play each key in any room - find the hot ones, and through slight adjustments of the note, tame or sort of "bend" around the objectionable frequencies. You can also play with "character" on that note as well, and smooth it some more! My understanding is that the Kawai boards have this feature also! On the Roland, it is incredibly well implemented. I'm pretty sure I will customize the board for every PA and/or room circumstance! Awesome!

Edited by GWILLY (06/29/14 01:53 PM)

#2296611 - 06/29/14 02:55 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

I agree with GWILLY. I consider myself a Kawai guy*, but have been using the RD800 now exclusively for gigs. It has been absolutely tremendous in helping my band expand our playlist. I have programed so many live sets in the past few months. The RD800 has been nothing but a great experience for me in live performances. I'm constantly getting comments on how good the RD800 sounds. I even enjoy playing songs I don't care for but have to play by requests. I know that sounds odd, but I think that makes sense to a few of you. Im happy to say that the RD800 has already paid for itself within 90 days.

* Let me be clear that I did not choose Roland over Kawai because one is better than the other. Just the timing was right and I jumped on the RD800 before the MP7 was released. I have no regrets with the RD800 whatsoever but I view the MP7 as a fantastic value and recommend that both be demoed before purchase.

#2296619 - 06/29/14 03:14 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
GWILLY Offline

I like that you mentioned the Kawai, as did I. I was actually thinking the MP11 would be the board I went for, although I have had a long term relationship with the Roland Piano's, and I have always preferred their actions more and more with each generation. In Canada, Long and MacQuade has named the RD800 as "preferred rental stock" for their rental catalog. What that means is that the price is really cheap (I think 99 dollars per month, my first month was actually 49, because I grabbed one on half price rental day)... but I find as a gigging musician, (and certainly the starving arts type) this is a very good way to go. You don't break the bank, and there's no buyers remorse, and if it gets stolen at a gig, it has theft insurance. Also, if it breaks, you just take it back and they replace it. The best thing though, is because there is not an inventory of rented units yet (they're so new) that means that they give you a new unit in the box. 50 per cent of the rental goes to the buyout, if you decide you want to buy it out at some point in the future. For me, that's an amazing deal, and I'm just now coming to terms with how great this keyboard actually is as a gigging instrument! smile People need to play around with all the customizing though to really understand! And it sounds much better on the outputs through speakers, then through the headphones jack.

Edited by GWILLY (06/29/14 04:11 PM)

#2296631 - 06/29/14 03:43 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: GWILLY]
GWILLY Offline

Sorry, I know - enough of GWILLY smile (I've only ever posted 10 other times!) the other secretly cool thing about Roland boards, is that they have the balanced outs and the unbalanced outs. They can both be used at the same time. What that means, is you can bring your small studio monitors and plug them in on the unbalanced outputs and self monitor, without a mixer. Send the XLR's to the mains. It's very cool. smile Ultimately I'd take how things sound to me, over an audience's perspective any day!! Besides the audience isn't OCD about sound anyways. With an RD, you are right in the sweet spot of minimalist bi-amplification, in the near field. All things being equal, that's an eargasm! smile

Edited by GWILLY (06/29/14 03:56 PM)

#2296694 - 06/29/14 07:28 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: GWILLY]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I would never ever think of trading an RD800 for the RD1000 today. By current standards, they just don't sound good at all.

And therefore, in my mind, the RD800 is a lot better than the RD1000, because the RD800 sounds better. (FWIW, I had the original RD300S, which had the core SA piano engine, and I was never that impressed with it - I think the SA sound is overrated)

When I listen to the RD800 demos they really DO sound excellent.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (06/29/14 07:28 PM)

#2296703 - 06/29/14 07:51 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: sullivang]
GWILLY Offline

Don't even go by the demos. It's a serious board. smile

#2296705 - 06/29/14 08:00 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I don't understand why it doesn't have a digital audio output though - weird for an instrument at this level, isn't it?

Greg.

#2296708 - 06/29/14 08:08 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: GWILLY]
500 Post Club Member

Don't even go by the demos. It's a serious board. smile

Yes, the RD800 is a very serious professional board. To bad this XLR/power nonsense has distracted immensely from how great this board truly is. It really is shame how such an insignificant distraction can deviate what this amazing board has to offer for so many professional musicians.

#2296714 - 06/29/14 08:21 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
GWILLY Offline

word smile

#2296738 - 06/29/14 09:39 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: sullivang]
Jay Roland Offline

Originally Posted By: sullivang
I don't understand why it doesn't have a digital audio output though - weird for an instrument at this level, isn't it?

Greg.

Hi Greg,

What application would you like a digital out for?

Help me to understand if it is something that many would pay for. It would add some cost to the instrument of course. It's far more complex than just the part being bolted in. There are many inexpensive external boxes that can do the AD conversion very well.

For live, you have XLR and 1/4" outputs. And most studios either have Interfaces or mixers/snakes that accept the XLR output.

This is the first time I've seen this request. No RD Owner has made it directly to me before outside of this forum.

Jay

#2296745 - 06/29/14 09:51 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: dewster]
Jay Roland Offline

Reps often take criticism toward a product they represent personally, which I find rather odd. When you make products, all criticism is good criticism, and when those who have bought your products in the past, or stand a good chance of buying your products in the future, take the time to raise issues with them, I think you're crazy not to listen. So I don't get it when reps get a case of butthurt, or act to shut down debate. I can only suppose that this kind of talk gets dealt with harshly inside closed doors, and they are acting reflexively.

Just for the record, I wasn't butthurt about the criticism of the product. I can handle that. I was and am unhappy that I was accused of spinning. Spin is not what I do. Never have, never will.

Roland is far more receptive to feedback than we are given credit for. It's easy for someone to post something on a forum, have nothing happen as a result, and scream that Roland doesn't listen.

Like every company, we have official feedback channels, and outside those channels it's near impossible for the engineers to be all over the internet every day. They are busy writing software, designing, and doing the things that need to get done so you can have both new products and improvements to existing products.

So if you have a suggestion to improve a product, or a bug report, send it to the branch of Roland Support in your country so Japan can actually access it and do something about it. It helps everybody.

Jay

#2296749 - 06/29/14 09:56 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Very well said!

#2296761 - 06/29/14 10:38 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jay,
Regarding digital output - my application would be for recording into a DAW. (yes, I have a good quality audio interface, with balanced inputs too, but I'd just prefer to record digitally. It's not a showstopper though) I know I could import pre-recorded WAV from the RD too.

Greg.

#2296768 - 06/29/14 10:59 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
petes1 Offline

@Greg, maybe I'm confused, but why not simply use the midi output for your purposes?

#2296771 - 06/29/14 11:04 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Petes1: This would be to record the audio signal of the RD800, so I don't understand how MIDI will help.

Btw, I was wrong - it seems that stage pianos simply don't have digital audio outputs - the only one I've found so far is the V-Piano.

Greg.

#2296792 - 06/30/14 12:47 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah bypassing the internal DAC's of ALL boards to get direct digital output would be a very good thing. But sadly few boards have this.

#2296795 - 06/30/14 01:08 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Dr Popper]
GWILLY Offline

You would not be bypassing the internal DACs.. you would be bypassing the analog output stage.......

#2296796 - 06/30/14 01:13 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: GWILLY]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

You would not be bypassing the internal DACs.. you would be bypassing the analog output stage.......

How do you get an analogue input without a DAC?

#2296797 - 06/30/14 01:16 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
GWILLY Offline

We are talking output, not input :):)

#2296799 - 06/30/14 01:21 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: GWILLY]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

The digital audio produced by the tone generator must still be converted to analogue in order to be output via the 1/4" and XLR jacks.

#2296858 - 06/30/14 07:19 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

The digital audio produced by the tone generator must still be converted to analogue in order to be output via the 1/4" and XLR jacks.

....and, hence, input (or if your prefer put in to an external device smile

#2296881 - 06/30/14 08:36 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dr Popper's comment:
Yeah bypassing the internal DAC's of ALL boards to get direct digital output would be a very good thing. But sadly few boards have this.

was 100% correct - a digital audio output makes the digital representation of the tone generator available, bypassing the internal Digital To Analog Converters (DACs).

Greg.

#2297649 - 07/02/14 09:17 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
I bought the 800 right when it came out being confident that it would be the best DP in that particular category. I've played it daily for serveral months now, gigged it at large pro venues but also at smaller parties without a sound guy using only the pa front.

It is hands down the best sounding piano I've come across. So inspiring, rich and lively. I'm using 3 different patches as my main pianos regarding of what I'm playing. The first concert grand is probably my favourite. I gave it some tweaking (mainly adding hammer noise and symp. res. and eq'ing down the bass and lower mid) to make it come more alive. This is great for really filling up the room.

The Studio Grand is another favorite for sounding natural, clean and real. This one needs a little more body in the lower part so I turned up the bass a bit and also added some sympathetic res to get that ambient feeling where you tend to play less notes. On most digitals it's quite the opposite- you're striking too many notes to keep the sound from dying out.

For this Coldplay band I play in, I use the mellow brilliant grand which has that upright ringing sound. Turned up the hammer noise and added lot's of reverb and sym res for this one. Sounds fantastic with the soft pedal pressed down. The new Supernatural Upright is totally disappointing so really prefer the Brilliant for this purpose.

Key action is really good and quiet

One negative thing is the shape/construction. It looks cool but is a disaster to carry and feels a bit fragile. Another is off course the whole power socket issue and the fact that all the inserts and outputs are hard to find/see if you operate from the front side.

#2297660 - 07/02/14 09:47 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: thomsurf]
Cessquill Offline

Originally Posted By: thomsurf
One negative thing is the shape/construction. It looks cool but is a disaster to carry and feels a bit fragile. Another is off course the whole power socket issue and the fact that all the inserts and outputs are hard to find/see if you operate from the front side.

Absolutely, yes. I bought one recently and am still getting used to it. The fact that you can't plug in from the front of the keyboard without contorting yourself is a step backwards (I think).

I've mentioned before that it's ironic that the most rudimentary of things seem to have let Roland down when they advertise that they know how to make stage pianos. Spent 25 years making them, yet they can't make them easy to get on stage and plug up.

Otherwise, yes. Wonderful sounds, brilliant action. Still trying to find the right setup for my gigging, but that's largely because there's a lot more options. It already sounds so much better off the bat from previous keys, but now there are more options and sounds to play with.

Personally I like the upright piano. Haven't used it in anger yet, but when I've switched to it I'm always tempted to try some Let It Be.

I don't know whether it's because there are more options, but I found the interface on my old A90 much more intuitive to navigate. Still getting used to holding down a button and pressing shift/exit to edit it. Used to be able to pull out new patches by typing in a number and pressing enter when I needed it. Now it seems to be a two handed affair, or scrolling through a wheel - not as stage-friendly. Still wading through the instructions though, so I'm probably missing something.

#2299145 - 07/06/14 11:50 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

I often like to layer two E.Organs, for example two identical Rock Organs, with the second an octave lower, which I can fade it in/out as required.

On my RD-700, the 'Rotary' multi-effects knob toggles the SLOW/FAST speed on all organ assigned to layers (Upper 1, 2 & Lower), which makes sense.

However, on the RD-800, I haven't found a way to toggle the 'Rotary' SLOW/FAST speed on multiple layers either using the Tremolo 'Rate' knob, or assigning the control to assignable switches S1 & S2.

The option for TR/AMP in the 'Layer Edit' can only be set for one layer, i.e. it's a radio button rather than a tick box.

Yes, you can can change SLOW/FAST speed for the second layer in the 'Designer Menu', but then there is no way to toggle the speed for this layer whilst playing.

Any ideas would be appreciated?

#2299150 - 07/06/14 12:21 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

I will check it on mine later today. If not an on-board option perhaps the the Roland EV-5 Expression Pedal might be a good alternative. Do you already have one?

#2299159 - 07/06/14 01:27 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

Hi Marko, yes I use am EV-5, it's connected to the EXT port, which is assigned as the default expression port.

Connecting the EV-5 or DP10 to FC1 or FC2, and then assigning this to 'Rotary', still only switches the speed on the one layer.

#2299166 - 07/06/14 01:47 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

I had a customer ask me this last week. I've been away from my RD on vacation though. I thought we had accomplished it. But for the lief of me cannot remember how.

I'm back to work on Tuesday. Let me go through my notes, and see what we did.

Jay

#2299835 - 07/08/14 11:30 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
bgiles Offline

I had a customer ask me this last week. I've been away from my RD on vacation though. I thought we had accomplished it. But for the lief of me cannot remember how.

Jay

Thanks Jay, hoping you find out how you accomplished this from your notes.

On a related matter, do you know why Roland programmed the E.ORGAN's on tone bank 5, numbers 265-322, with their 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting on '[1] Normal' instead of '[5] Rotary', which would have been more logical for E.ORGAN's.

The 10 'Tone Wheel Organs' (255-264) are fine, with 'Rotary' as the default.

#2299948 - 07/08/14 05:49 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: bgiles]
Jay Roland Offline

Jay

Thanks Jay, hoping you find out how you accomplished this from your notes.

On a related matter, do you know why Roland programmed the E.ORGAN's on tone bank 5, numbers 265-322, with their 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting on '[1] Normal' instead of '[5] Rotary', which would have been more logical for E.ORGAN's.

The 10 'Tone Wheel Organs' (255-264) are fine, with 'Rotary' as the default.

No, we were working on something totally different according to my notes, although still organ related. (Sorry my brain is a bit overloaded as I'm back to office today with over a week away) Looks like the Rotary effect can only be assigned to one layer at a time.

With regards to the other stuff bgiles, can you feed that back to Roland UK so Roland Japan can hear about it? There might be a good reason why they did the effects assignment that way, or they may be able to change it via firmware update. It's best that it comes from the branch of Roland in your country though.

Jay

#2300078 - 07/09/14 03:08 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
bgiles Offline

Thanks Jay, it's a shame about only being able to set the 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting to one layer, guess this is a system limitation.

I have submitted the E.ORGAN anomaly to Roland UK, and added it to the list of my post dated 1st June on page 1 of this thread, which can be found here...
ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD - page 1

#2300279 - 07/09/14 02:03 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

Roland have recently released "System Program Version 1.04" for the RD-800.
grin

As well as fixing bugs previously reported, Roland have added a great new feature;

Added Function (Selecting a Tone)
In conjunction with the SHIFT button, you can now use the TONE [0]–[9] buttons as numeric keys to directly specify a tone number.
1. While holding down the [SHIFT] button, use the TONE [0]–[9] as numeric keys to enter a tone number.
The value blinks while you’re entering the tone number.
2. Release the [SHIFT] button, the tone number is finalized.

Added Function (Selecting a Live Set)
In conjunction with the LIVE SET buttons, you can now use the TONE [0]–[9] buttons as numeric keys to directly specify a live set number.
1. While holding down a LIVE SET [A]–[J] button, use the TONE [0]–[9] buttons as numeric keys to directly specify a live set number.
The value blinks while you’re entering the live set number.
2. Release the LIVE SET button, the live set number is finalized.

Edited by bgiles (07/09/14 04:04 PM)

#2300866 - 07/10/14 06:40 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: bgiles]
500 Post Club Member

Roland have recently released "System Program Version 1.04" for the RD-800.
grin

As well as fixing bugs previously reported, Roland have added a great new feature;

Added Function (Selecting a Tone)
In conjunction with the SHIFT button, you can now use the TONE [0]–[9] buttons as numeric keys to directly specify a tone number.
1. While holding down the [SHIFT] button, use the TONE [0]–[9] as numeric keys to enter a tone number.
The value blinks while you’re entering the tone number.
2. Release the [SHIFT] button, the tone number is finalized.

Added Function (Selecting a Live Set)
In conjunction with the LIVE SET buttons, you can now use the TONE [0]–[9] buttons as numeric keys to directly specify a live set number.
1. While holding down a LIVE SET [A]–[J] button, use the TONE [0]–[9] buttons as numeric keys to directly specify a live set number.
The value blinks while you’re entering the live set number.
2. Release the LIVE SET button, the live set number is finalized.

Great feature! No more rapidly spinning the wheel.

On another note, one of the bug fixes "In Tone number 0367, "PizzicatoStr," the notes in some keyboard ranges were played as monaural sounds." This is fine but I noticed just above it, 0368 "Pizz 1" is the exact same as 0369 "Pizz 2". Also same goes for 0520 "Jazz Scat 1" and 0521 "Jazz Scat 2" both identical in sound. Was this the same before the update? Not that these sounds are important to me, but nevertheless, why are they the same? Or is it just me?

#2300973 - 07/11/14 03:57 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

I noticed that 0368 "Pizz 1" is the exact same as 0369 "Pizz 2". Also same goes for 0520 "Jazz Scat 1" and 0521 "Jazz Scat 2" both identical in sound. Was this the same before the update? Not that these sounds are important to me, but nevertheless, why are they the same? Or is it just me?

Hi Marko

To my ears, I can hear the subtle differences between 0368 "Pizz 1" and 0369 "Pizz 2", which are easier to distinguish on velocity layer 2 of C6.

Likewise 0520 "Jazz Scat 1" is a "doo-dat" with velocity switching, whereas 0521 "Jazz Scat 2" is only a "doo".

Great to see Roland are listening to their customers on bugs and enhancements. I raised the 0367: PizzicatoStr issue with them in April, which they quickly acknowledged was a bug, and now fixed.

I've also recently raised the 'Rotary' issue on E.ORGANS's 265-322, and the use of the cursor buttons to navigate in and out of menu's and 'Layer Edit', which have been forwarded for consideration.

Edited by bgiles (07/12/14 03:21 AM)

#2301838 - 07/13/14 12:19 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
petes1 Offline

Roland is sure taking its time getting units out to shops where we can try them and maybe buy them (at least around here). Ugh!

#2301862 - 07/13/14 01:28 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: petes1]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: petes1
Roland is sure taking its time getting units out to shops where we can try them and maybe buy them (at least around here). Ugh!

I know, GC still hasn't re-posted RD800 on website. Like it doesn't even exist!

If you are in the Boston area, PM and you can give mine a try anytime.

#2301914 - 07/13/14 05:07 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
petes1 Offline

...If you are in the Boston area, PM and you can give mine a try anytime.

You are much too kind, although with the drive today being 11 and 1/2 hours, I'll have to put a rain-check on the keyboard check. frown

#2301942 - 07/13/14 06:15 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: petes1]
500 Post Club Member

...If you are in the Boston area, PM and you can give mine a try anytime.

You are much too kind, although with the drive today being 11 and 1/2 hours, I'll have to put a rain-check on the keyboard check. frown

Well, if you still want to do it, dinner and drinks are on me! Now that's what I call a great demo!

#2301948 - 07/13/14 06:25 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
petes1 Offline

Well, if you still want to do it, dinner and drinks are on me! Now that's what I call a great demo!

Checking into flights now as we speak! smile

#2301960 - 07/13/14 07:31 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

Finishing recording some Turbo Start video Tutorials tomorrow. Will post links when they go up, Hopefully by the end of July.

Jay

#2301971 - 07/13/14 08:18 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
500 Post Club Member

Finishing recording some Turbo Start video Tutorials tomorrow. Will post links when they go up, Hopefully by the end of July.

Jay

Thanks Jay! That will be great for both owners and potential buyers.

#2302041 - 07/14/14 12:27 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Nice one!

I'd love to do something similar for the MP11/MP7 - it's just a question of finding the time (I'm catching-up from my week-long absence as it is...).

Cheers,
James
x

#2302157 - 07/14/14 10:32 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Cessquill Offline

Does anybody know if it's possible to disable the "transpose by holding the button and pressing a key" feature? If you want to transpose mid song, you can inadvertently tune it two and a half octaves down if you're still got a note on.

I know it's lazy of me to transpose, but I have cause to every now and then.

#2302182 - 07/14/14 11:35 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Cessquill]
Jay Roland Offline

Originally Posted By: Cessquill
Does anybody know if it's possible to disable the "transpose by holding the button and pressing a key" feature? If you want to transpose mid song, you can inadvertently tune it two and a half octaves down if you're still got a note on.

I know it's lazy of me to transpose, but I have cause to every now and then.

I don't believe so Cessquil, That was added for convenience.

Transpose isn't laziness, its an advantage of digital pianos.

Jay

#2302278 - 07/14/14 03:40 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
Cessquill Offline

I don't believe so Cessquil, That was added for convenience

Fair enough, thanks. Got caught out with a key change mid song on Sunday. Suddenly middle C was a low G. A teething problem that I'll get used to.

Maybe if it was a short press to toggle and long press to set it might be easier? (Just for my situation, obviously!)

#2303124 - 07/16/14 05:38 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Starboard Offline

Any opinions on the RPU-3 pedal unit? I had a recent thread on stage pianos for home usage and have pre-ordered an MP11. At that point, the RD-800 was not yet on my radar, but because the pre-order won't be filled until next month I've continued researching and have since become quite interested in the RD-800. I've also since had hands-on (foot-on) with Kawai's F-20 pedal unit from the MP10 and flat out dislike it. I expect the newer F-30 pedal model that comes with the MP11 to be very similar; the only noted distinction between the two is the addition of the sostenuto pedal. The pedals in the F-20 (and probably F-30) went down incredibly easily and feel totally insubstantial in comparison to an acoustic piano's pedals. It's very close to a deal-breaker because I'll be using the instrument in everyday practice of mostly classical works, and don't want to further develop my already somewhat poor pedaling technique (so started by my present mid-1990 era Suzuki DP).

Is the RPU-3 a [better/more substantially] weighted pedal? Roland's site claims a "real grand piano pedaling experience," but there really doesn't seem to be a lot of detail out there about it. Does it compare favorably to the general quality of pedals found in non-portable DPs?

And to preface a related question I'd also ask, I'll say that it's the onboard piano sounds that got me seriously interested in the RD-800 after starting to look into it. I think I prefer the Roland SN piano sound over that of Kawai, and while onboard sound isn't completely critical to me since I'll be using VSTs some of the time, for this kind of money spent I feel like I'd like to get onboard sounds that I really like since I will still be using it often enough. Unfortunately, the only Roland dealers near me are chain stores without adequate selection (no RD-800, no HP-506, no HP-508, and not even any PHA-3 models), so I can't actually try out the PHA-4-Concert key action in person to see how it stands against my points of comparison (on the Roland side I have tried the Ivory Feel-G though and found it passable but not great, on the Kawai side I've played plenty of the GF action and like it a lot). So instead, I'd ask any RD-800 users how they think the key action would fare for someone interested in everyday classical-style practice and skill-building without developing overly poor habits for eventual playing on acoustic instruments. As a sole instrument for someone without regular access to acoustic pianos, can the RD-800's action serve as a stand-in?

#2303129 - 07/16/14 06:04 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Starboard]
Jay Roland Offline

I personally love the feel of the RPU-3. Enough resistance to "keep it real" for half sustain and things of that sort. Haven't ever tried the Kawai version so cannot compare.

The RPU-3 is one of our most popular piano accessories.

Jay

#2303158 - 07/16/14 08:17 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Starboard]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Starboard
Any opinions on the RPU-3 pedal unit?

At 5 lbs it's fairly massive. Pedal height, resistance, and travel distance seem roughly comparable to our grand piano. All three pedals are proportional, not switches. It suffers a bit from "creeping around on the floor" when you use it, though not nearly as bad as single units, and it might be better behaved on a carpet.

Unboxing of the pedal unit here.

And to preface a related question I'd also ask, I'll say that it's the onboard piano sounds that got me seriously interested in the RD-800 after starting to look into it. I think I prefer the Roland SN piano sound over that of Kawai, and while onboard sound isn't completely critical to me since I'll be using VSTs some of the time, for this kind of money spent I feel like I'd like to get onboard sounds that I really like since I will still be using it often enough.

IMO, the "Concert" and "Studio" SN pianos in the RD-700NX sound pretty convincing through good headphones. I think you could record them solo and most people wouldn't be able to tell they weren't the real thing. That said, I'd really prefer a full piano sample to sampled attacks and SN synthesized decays. I just don't trust anyone to model anything in a fully realistic manner. I'd really like to see Kawai step up to the plate and offer this, their actions look the best in photos. Roland is off in their own private Idaho with SN, bless them, but I've no clue as to why full samples aren't de rigueur in the rest of the top end DPs.

#2303528 - 07/17/14 09:40 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: dewster]
Starboard Offline

Thanks for the pedal thoughts, Jay and dewster. The unboxing is handy to see, too!

IMO, the "Concert" and "Studio" SN pianos in the RD-700NX sound pretty convincing through good headphones. I think you could record them solo and most people wouldn't be able to tell they weren't the real thing. That said, I'd really prefer a full piano sample to sampled attacks and SN synthesized decays. I just don't trust anyone to model anything in a fully realistic manner. I'd really like to see Kawai step up to the plate and offer this, their actions look the best in photos. Roland is off in their own private Idaho with SN, bless them, but I've no clue as to why full samples aren't de rigueur in the rest of the top end DPs.

I definitely know what you mean here. I'm coming into the onboard DP sound world from the Kontakt library world, and it's surprising how dated the onboard sampling is throughout the entire market. Of course, even with the dated sampling/storage tech, they all still play way better than my current old Suzuki DP+Kontakt combo (and a newer DP+Kontakt will probably too do a lot better than I'm used to; my Suzuki's effective velocity range is pretty limited, not to mention the binary sustain pedal). Any modern $100+ smartphone could probably store and power an OS and piano library engine of greater size and complexity than even the toppest-of-the-line DPs, so it's depressing that we can pay $2000-10000 and still get such cheap corner-cutting in onboard sounds, no matter how premium the pricetag. Needless to say that I appreciate your DPBSD thread for shining an analytic light on the state of things.

#2303650 - 07/18/14 09:25 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Starboard]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Any modern $100+ smartphone could probably store and power an OS and piano library engine of greater size and complexity than even the toppest-of-the-line DPs, so it's depressing that we can pay $2000-10000 and still get such cheap corner-cutting in onboard sounds, no matter how premium the pricetag.

It's so depressing I find it difficult to do any further reviews, particularly on the same old stuff in new packages. Not much point beyond noting model B has the same lame/missing sympathetic resonance and CFX sample as A but butchered in a slightly different way, etc.

An acoustic piano is this incredibly vibrant, resonant, loud, very alive thing. We've known for some time now how to fully sample them and use modeling or other manipulation to cover the small remaining gaps. Processor and memory costs are not the significant issue they once were, but here we are.

#2303659 - 07/18/14 10:08 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: dewster]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Any modern $100+ smartphone could probably store and power an OS and piano library engine of greater size and complexity than even the toppest-of-the-line DPs, so it's depressing that we can pay $2000-10000 and still get such cheap corner-cutting in onboard sounds, no matter how premium the pricetag.

It's so depressing I find it difficult to do any further reviews, particularly on the same old stuff in new packages. Not much point beyond noting model B has the same lame/missing sympathetic resonance and CFX sample as A but butchered in a slightly different way, etc.

An acoustic piano is this incredibly vibrant, resonant, loud, very alive thing. We've known for some time now how to fully sample them and use modeling or other manipulation to cover the small remaining gaps. Processor and memory costs are not the significant issue they once were, but here we are.
Seems like you're talking about movie Jurassic Park and it didn't work out well for them. smile

#2308149 - 07/28/14 12:58 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
GWILLY Offline

Just a question for Marko if you're out there. The case that you were recommending (the one you use personally for the RD800) am I to assume, you're able to use it even with the power chord modification? Also, any issues with using the rollers on that case (do they have poor clearance, or are things a bit bumpy for the piano? I'm just curious of your impressions. smile (I sometimes wish that the wheels that were provided had a mini suspension)

Oh and a question for Jay, do you know if any retailers in the GTA/KW regions stock the Roland RD stand? It's not listed at Long And Macquade on their website. Any update on the Turbo Start video tutorials? smile

Edited by GWILLY (07/28/14 01:03 PM)

#2308154 - 07/28/14 01:09 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: dewster]
GWILLY Offline

It's always seemed to me that the big companies have not wanted to start a "technology race"... they tend to like to keep their models relevant for at least a few years. This is pure speculation on my part, but I just sort of see "state of that art" as not something happening in the hardware world. Could have to do with the several years of development time for new models? Anyways, they seem to work together on not blowing the doors of the other existing product lines. wink Like they've all sworn an oath as Hardware companies, to follow an "evolution" not "revolution" business model. (ie: no open architecures, and upgradability, unless that means more hardware). They probably all know that we will buy 4.5 times (or some number) over our livetimes with this business model. smile Again this is just an impression, and I have no facts to back this up! I just seems like there is less actual competition happening out there then we realise, with the biggies! The smaller companies are a different kettle of fish, but lack economy of scale to keep prices down.

Edited by GWILLY (07/28/14 01:25 PM)

#2308164 - 07/28/14 01:47 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: GWILLY]
GWILLY Offline

Having said that - all things being relative - The RD800 is fantastic, and I hope to try it out with Ravenscroft software later this year! I think I could be downgraded as a future purchaser by a number or two! smile

#2308392 - 07/29/14 07:03 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: GWILLY]
500 Post Club Member

Just a question for Marko if you're out there. The case that you were recommending (the one you use personally for the RD800) am I to assume, you're able to use it even with the power chord modification? Also, any issues with using the rollers on that case (do they have poor clearance, or are things a bit bumpy for the piano? I'm just curious of your impressions. smile (I sometimes wish that the wheels that were provided had a mini suspension)

Hi GWILLY,
I have not done the power mortification nor do I have any intention of ever doing it as I feel it is not necessary for me**. I'll do it just before I sell or trade it someday. Regardless, I don't believe the modification will be an issue with the standard Gator GK88 as there is plenty of room for it.
Rollers work well on most surface smooth or semi-rough. Clearance is decent but I would simply pick it up if I were walk over something like cobblestones. This is were your "mini-suspension" idea would probably work great! But no worries about a few bumps. It is well padded and most stage pianos are built to take a few bumps.
Bottom line: it's a well made case and reasonably priced. Does its job, easy to use, and keeps me confident my board is protected. Just wish it had a shoulder strap option that I would use occasionally.

** This is my choice for my situation as I am well aware of the location of the power source and XLR outputs. I still highly recommend others to follow the recall instructions provided by Roland to eliminate any chance of an accidental electric shock hazard.

#2315134 - 08/13/14 06:41 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

Nice. thumb

#2316937 - 08/18/14 12:58 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: bgiles]
IraD Offline

RPU-3 and RD-800 question

The RD-800 has no mention of soft pedal or sostenuto on Pg 30 in the manual that shows the List of Functions Assignable to Pedals, Knobs,and Buttons.

The RD-800 manual does show a picture of the RPU-3 on Pg 18 with this description:
PEDAL jacks (DAMPER, FC1, FC2, EXT)
Connecting the pedal switch provided with the RD-800 to the
DAMPER jack allows you to use the switch as a damper pedal.
With a pedal connected to the FC1, FC2 or EXT jack, you can
then assign a variety of functions to the pedal (p. 29).

I've been disappointed by making assumptions with my Roland VS-2400, so I'd like to be sure this time before I buy.

Has anyone tried the RPU-3 on the RD-800?

Thanks

#2316948 - 08/18/14 01:19 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
IraD Offline

RPU-3 and RD-800 question answered

You can set the pedals to a midi controller number (66/sostenuto, 67/soft pedal)

Thanks anyway

#2318138 - 08/21/14 01:22 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
petes1 Offline

Roland RD800 Questions about Sounds and Live Sets

Regarding sounds
  • #0007 NX Concert Grand and the several NX Piano sounds below, what does "NX" stand for? Is this in reference to the RD-700NX?
  • #0019 St.Piano 1 through 5, what does "St." stand for? Does it mean "stage" piano? And if so, what stage piano does it represent since there are other stage pianos in the sound bank?
  • #0049 SA Piano etc, what does "SA" stand for?
  • #0055 JD PIano etc, what does "JD" stand for?
  • In general, what's the difference between a "Concert" piano and a "Studio" piano? Is it the length of the sound board?

Regarding Live Sets, is it possible to delete and consolidate sets? I'd like to have a simple Live Set file for performing, one with just the sets that I want, including some of the ones that came with the keyboard, and some that I have created. I know how to copy Live Sets, how to swap sets, how to add my own set, but I don't know how to delete a set and am not sure how to copy just some of the ones I like (plus ones I've made) into my own simpler set.

So in essence, what I'd like to do is to create a blank Live Set File from scratch, one with no live sets in it, and then load into it just the Live Sets that I need and some of the ones I've created. Is this possible on the keyboard?

Maybe I need to wait for a turbo-start video. Jay Roland, please keep those babies coming, as they are much easier to learn from than the manuals. I can't thank you enough for creating and posting the one that's up.

Thanks in advance!

/Pete

Edited by petes1 (08/21/14 01:24 PM)

#2318203 - 08/21/14 03:58 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: petes1]
Jay Roland Offline

Roland RD800 Questions about Sounds and Live Sets

Regarding sounds
  • #0007 NX Concert Grand and the several NX Piano sounds below, what does "NX" stand for? Is this in reference to the RD-700NX?
  • #0019 St.Piano 1 through 5, what does "St." stand for? Does it mean "stage" piano? And if so, what stage piano does it represent since there are other stage pianos in the sound bank?
  • #0049 SA Piano etc, what does "SA" stand for?
  • #0055 JD PIano etc, what does "JD" stand for?
  • In general, what's the difference between a "Concert" piano and a "Studio" piano? Is it the length of the sound board?

Regarding Live Sets, is it possible to delete and consolidate sets? I'd like to have a simple Live Set file for performing, one with just the sets that I want, including some of the ones that came with the keyboard, and some that I have created. I know how to copy Live Sets, how to swap sets, how to add my own set, but I don't know how to delete a set and am not sure how to copy just some of the ones I like (plus ones I've made) into my own simpler set.

So in essence, what I'd like to do is to create a blank Live Set File from scratch, one with no live sets in it, and then load into it just the Live Sets that I need and some of the ones I've created. Is this possible on the keyboard?

Maybe I need to wait for a turbo-start video. Jay Roland, please keep those babies coming, as they are much easier to learn from than the manuals. I can't thank you enough for creating and posting the one that's up.

Thanks in advance!

/Pete

#007 and the ones below are the pianos from the RD700NX
#0019 St. Stands for Stereo
#0049 SA stands for "Structured Adaptive" Synthesis, a la the RD1000. Our first SA Synthesis Piano tone.
#0055 JD is our old school JD piano patch from the JD series sound set.

I'm at the office and will answer more about live sets later when i get home from work.

Jay

#2318205 - 08/21/14 04:01 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
petes1 Offline

#007 and the ones below are the pianos from the RD700NX...

Many thanks for the quick reply!!

#2318218 - 08/21/14 04:45 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
lekanout Offline

Loc: PARIS,FRANCE
Quote:

It's possible i think

Just edit a live set with all off,and save it with no name(----,or what you want)in all the 200 memory.
Save this global memory with nothing.
After that,put your edited live sets where you want in the banks,like you need for your organisation.
And save this in a global file for your gigs.

And i don't see a better solution.

Edited by lekanout (08/21/14 04:48 PM)

#2318243 - 08/21/14 05:52 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: lekanout]
petes1 Offline

Originally Posted By: lekanout

It's possible i think

Just edit a live set with all off,

But how is this done? How do you set "all off"?

Quote:

...After that,put your edited live sets where you want in the banks,like you need for your organisation.
And save this in a global file for your gigs.

But can an individual Live Set be copied from one file into another, and if so, how?

Thanks for your input by the way!

#2318260 - 08/21/14 06:39 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: petes1]
lekanout Offline

Quote:
But how is this done? How do you set "all off"?

So simple:
When you're in live set mode,you have the "part on/off" switchs upon the faders.
Just put them off and all is disabled!
Save it like this(as a live set with all parts off...so no sound)and it's ok!

Quote:
But can an individual Live Set be copied from one file into another, and if so, how?

For sure and it's so simple:
when you want to save a live set,you push the "write"switch.
A screen appears where you can choose the place to save it where you want.
So press write,select the destination to save it,press enter and it's ok..
Very simple and logical!

Quote:
Thanks for your input by the way!

You're welcome!

You know,the rd 800 does what it does(and it does a lot!)but it's a very clear stage piano.
All is well organized and easy to master.

Edited by lekanout (08/21/14 06:39 PM)

#2318639 - 08/22/14 03:45 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

I'm taking an RD800 home (finally) so I'll be working on some other stuff for you guys.

Jay

#2318938 - 08/23/14 03:07 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
Vikas Sharma Offline

Loc: India
Hi everyone!

Having been with my new RD-800 for almost 3 months now, I'm in love with its awesome action, sound and workflow. Excellent, just awesome! In combination with my Motif XF6, it's a truly brilliant and flexible package for studio as well as stage use.

One observation: In my unit at least, the signal coming to the RD-800 audio-in continues to be output through its audio-outs when I switch off the unit or even remove the input power altogether, though at a reduced level. Is this so by design? The XF cuts everything off when powered off.

#2321164 - 08/28/14 02:45 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bnolsen Offline

Loc: Colorado
A couple of blocks away from my daughter's piano teacher is a Guitar Center which we hide in to avoid rush hour traffic until it's clear. Yesterday I noticed they had an rd800 sitting in the rd700 slot. The guitar center guy only gave us headphones for it so I noodled for a bit then let my daughter noodle for a bit as well. The basic piano sounds are nice I didn't hear anything stand out as bad.

I don't really know how good the action is for classical piano virtuouso type training which is what I'm nominally in the market for. If anything my knee jerk was that it feels most similar to the casio series, probably with how abrupt the action transition is and the key bed noise.

One huge positive: I can actually find this piano in stock and its easily playable! I can't say the same for any of the kawai digitals I'm interested in testing (mp11, vpc1). Well the kawai dealer does have a ca65 in stock but I can't say it's convenient.

#2321218 - 08/28/14 05:29 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: bnolsen]
Rhodie73 Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: bnolsen

I don't really know how good the action is for classical piano virtuouso type training which is what I'm nominally in the market for. If anything my knee jerk was that it feels most similar to the casio series, probably with how abrupt the action transition is and the key bed.

While all the new PX series from Casio share the same Ivory/Ebony feel keyboards, I don't think the texture of their surfaces or movement is as authentic as Roland's PH4 Concert action (what's in the RD800). While feel is always subjective I've been playing piano (on acoustics Classical and Jazz) for over 25 years and I just don't think the Casio's are in the same league as Roland if you compare their flagship keyboard actions. I'm not trying to knock Casio because I'm quite impressed with the action for its lightweight design and price. However the RD800's action is IMHO more authentic as a grand piano imitation and certainly more responsive than the new PX series actions.

Edited by Rhodie73 (08/28/14 05:30 PM)

#2321254 - 08/28/14 07:32 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rhodie73
Yes, no doubt that the RD-800 is a superior piano in terms of sound and feel (one would hope so since it costs more than twice as much). smile Still, as you say, Casio's offerings are impressive for the price and weight. In terms of value per dollar, Casio matches up pretty well with all the big boys, imo.

I noticed in your sig that you have an actual Rhodes MkII, and given your nom de plume, one assumes that you're an aficionado. smile How do you think the RD800's patches compare to the real thing? Just curious. smile

#2321285 - 08/28/14 09:02 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: fizikisto]
Rhodie73 Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: fizikisto
Rhodie73
I noticed in your sig that you have an actual Rhodes MkII, and given your nom de plume, one assumes that you're an aficionado. smile How do you think the RD800's patches compare to the real thing? Just curious. smile

Hey fizikisto!
Yeh I'm a Rhodes guy! I find that the RD800 has more of a sharper (with a touch of shallow voicing) sound out of the box, more like how a lot of MKII's were voiced in the early eighties. They lend themselves to a more Dyno sound (pickup to tine geometry) rather than the fat early Herbie Hancock sound. However with the addition of some more tonal variations (new parameter for the RD800) like being able to simulate a silver top sound you can achieve a fatter rounder sound like early Herbie and one of my earlier owned Fender Rhodes (not Rhodes).

I like what Roland did this time around for the SuperNatural EPs. I owned the RD700 GX and NX and had a lot of trouble getting a rounder early seventies Fender Rhodes sound. The RD800 allows me to finally achieve it! Also you have to play around with the preamp simulations and speaker simulations. I've had more luck getting a warmer rounder sound by using the Old Case preamp and line out instead of using the Old Case speaker. When you use the preamp and speaker together it will give you an edgier harder sound which is cool sometimes. However a lot of the times I like the warmer rounder sound. I also dial in the tone color character knob around in between the silver top and MKI. Leaning a little more in the silver top domain gets me a rounder warmer Fender Rhodes type sound.

At the end of the day, nothing will replace my Rhodes MkII. I voiced it uniquely to how I wanted it. But the RD800 allows me to have a couple of different Fender Rhodes and Rhodes sounds and I don't have to break my back bringing it to gigs or the studio. Plus I like the expressiveness of the interaction of the sound and what I "put in" to the keys. It feel alive and less like sample playback.

#2321309 - 08/28/14 10:18 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rhodie73
Thank you for the thoughtful comments. That's very interesting, and a pretty great endorsement for the RD800. I've much less experience with EP's than with acoustic pianos and organs. So I appreciate the suggestions. I definitely need to spend more time playing with them on my RD, particularly tweaking the sound through the amp sim parameters.

Warm Regards

#2321424 - 08/29/14 06:03 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

The full 'Sound On Sound' review of the RD-800 is now available...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr14/articles/roland-rd800.htm

Great review, but I think there are some inaccuracies

#2321691 - 08/29/14 07:51 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

#2321703 - 08/29/14 08:33 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good Reviews! thanks for the links smile

#2326026 - 09/10/14 01:06 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
bgiles Offline

I sometimes practice using the on-board rhythms, but I am puzzled by how some of them don't match the set tempo.

For example, selecting crotchet = 120, the first 81 are fine, then as you move onto the following, the tempo changes and doesn't match the setting;

082~089: Rockballad~Shuffle
107~113: Swing~Jazz
115~118: Gospel~Blues
185~189: Waltz

Is it me, or is this a bug?

#2334990 - 10/07/14 10:04 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

If anyone feels like killing an hour listening to each preset sound on the RD800, this guy did a demo on YT...

#2336314 - 10/11/14 03:01 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
lekanout Offline

thanks a lot marko,this is a great video to discover how versatile is the RD800.

Edited by lekanout (10/11/14 03:02 PM)

#2336489 - 10/12/14 06:55 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: lekanout]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lekanout
thanks a lot marko,this is a great video to discover how versatile is the RD800.

If you want to hear some excellent AP playing on the RD800 (and other Roland DPs), check out this YT channel. Very talented player IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mishakom1

#2347288 - 11/08/14 02:30 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
petes1 Offline

This question is for Marko and anyone else who has tweaked their RD800 to achieve better sound: what patch and what settings have you changed in order to achieve the best (in your own opinion of course) acoustic piano sound? Myself, I happen to love the first Concert Grand sound, Sound 0001, although I've used the Rock Concert Grand when performing because I think (and I'm not sure if this is correct or not) that this piano has a more compressed sound. I have also rotated the "color" dial to the left when performing because I'm usually outputting a single mono cable to the PA. I also have a Live Set with the Rock Concert Grand that lightens the Key Touch, for when I play a solo and I want to bring out my sound, give it more of an edge, and I use the S1 and S2 buttons to toggle in and out of this live set.

Anyone else have any favorite tweaks?

#2347352 - 11/08/14 04:42 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
TonyB Offline

Loc: Twin Cities

That is an interesting review. In it, the author says:

Quote:

The most immediate superlative for the RD-800 is the phenomenal piano sample newly derived from Roland’s V-Piano Grand and brand new for this RD model series. From the moment you touch the Concert Grand button, you default to an amazingly rich acoustic piano sound. The sample is incredibly responsive with the RD-800 action and rings with all the nuances you would expect in a piano sound from resonance to decay to hammer sound.

I have been curious as to how the V-Piano technology would trickle into the rest of the Roland line. Since the V-Piano and V-Grand use modelling and the rest of the Roland line use sampling, is the RD-800 able to take advantage of at least some aspect of the dynamics of the original V-Grand or did they just sample it for the RD-800?

Whatever Roland is doing with the RD-800, the description in the review sounds quite promising. It would be great if all of what the V-Grand does appears in other Roland products and becomes standard fare in the years to come. I can imagine the day when that technology becomes commonplace and everybody gets to have it.

Tony

#2353940 - 11/23/14 02:39 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

RD800 owners, any of you experience a slight static-pop when layering more than two voices. It's very subtle but I notice with headphones. I noticed this a while back. Again very slight but it's a bit annoying once you notice it. Just not sure if it's my board only. Any feedback would be appreciated.

#2353976 - 11/23/14 04:39 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
daz100 Offline

Is there a metronome with different time signatures in the rd800.I know Ive got one in the rhythm section on the rd700nx.

#2354003 - 11/23/14 05:52 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Marko,
I've not experienced anything like that, and I'm usually pretty sensitive to that sort of thing. But I've not played mine with headphones. My cans are in my office, and I'll be out most of the week for the thanksgiving holiday, but I'll try to check it next week if you still haven't gotten any feedback from other owners. Is the pop sound evident with every note played? or just when you activate the 3rd layer? is it when the key is depressed or on the release? and pop implies a very short duration artifact?

#2354069 - 11/23/14 08:59 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
petes1 Offline

RD800 owners, any of you experience a slight static-pop when layering more than two voices. It's very subtle but I notice with headphones. I noticed this a while back. Again very slight but it's a bit annoying once you notice it. Just not sure if it's my board only. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Marko:
When do you notice this? Is it present every time a key is pressed? At the beginning, middle or end of the press? Are there any combination of voices where this is most noticeable? I've not yet noticed this artifact, but will sure listen for it now.

Also Marko, any thoughts about my post in this thread from November 8th? About what you've done to try to optimize your piano performance voice?

Thanks in advance.

#2358072 - 12/04/14 09:05 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jakob789521 Offline

Hey guys I am new here. My first Digital Piano is the RD800 and I am lost as to achieving a specific sound I want, and was hoping you guys can help me.

The sound is like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHxpLSGctAY
But obviously for the RD800 instead of the FP80.

Thanks for reading.

#2358082 - 12/04/14 09:19 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
It's most likely the NX Concert Grand in your RD800 but might be tweaked in the FP80. It's the core sound for all recent FP's and RD's prior to the RD800 but I find that they sound somewhat different in each board.

#2358092 - 12/04/14 09:46 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: thomsurf]
Jakob789521 Offline

Oh I see thanks smile Is there a way to achieving that amount of ambience? I have tried setting reverb to 127 and even then it doesn't sound as spacious as that video.

Thanks

#2358123 - 12/04/14 11:15 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

Most likely, it is a different type of reverb applied to the piano tone on that FP-80..

Check page 31 of your owners manual and try some different types of reverb.

Jay

#2358154 - 12/04/14 12:36 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jakob789521 Offline

Okay thanks, I will mess around some more tonight. I just hope I didn't make the mistake of getting the RD 800 thinking it had everything the FP80 had but more.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Jake

#2358188 - 12/04/14 01:37 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jakob789521
You may or may not be able to reproduce that exact FP-80 tone to a degree that satisfies you, but even if not I'd say don't judge the RD-800 based on that. It's an incredibly versatile instrument loaded with some really amazing sounding sounds. Give it a fair chance and you'll likely find lots of other surprisingly tweakable sounds from it that you like even better. In any case, I hope that you'll find the sound that you're looking for. If so, I wouldn't object if you posted your settings here. smile

Btw, in addition to Jay's suggestion on playing with the reverb settings, you might also adjust the tone color knob

Warm Regards,

#2358196 - 12/04/14 01:54 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: fizikisto]
Jakob789521 Offline

Thanks for the reply, I don't expect to find the exact sound, but it's like there is an option I have missed, see I can sort of get the tone right but the video I posted has a 'Far away' feeling to it, for example on Synthogy Ivory there was a setting called 'Room Size' that achieved a similar effect as well as 'Wet/Dry' settings that got that sound.

I have yet to try out the suggestions as I am not home yet but I am grateful for the help. I will see what there is to tweak. If I find a good tone I will post the settings here for you.

#2358948 - 12/06/14 03:51 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Rolf Benz Offline

Hi Jakob789521,

the pianist in the video gives detailed instructions, how he has set up his FP80.

The settings are:

PIANO DESIGNER:
damper resonance: 10
hammer noise: 1
hammer response: 4
duplex scale: 10
string resonance: 10
key off resonance: 10
cabinet resonance: 10
soundboard behavior: 10
damper noise: off

EQUALIZER:
Lowa Gain: + 6dB
Low Freq: 250HZ
Low Mid Gain: 0dB
Low Mid Freq: 500Hz
Low Mid Q: 2.0
High Mid Gain: -3dB
High Mid Freq: 1.25 kHz
High Mid Q: 2.0
High Gain: + 8dB
High Freq: 5.0 kHz

I am aware that the RD800 has a different sound engine and those settings might not be leading to the same result, but it is a good way to start with, once you try them you might wish to begin tweaking afterwards. At least you do not have to start from scratch.

From what I hear, there is lot's of reverb applied that would be something to look after as well.

Hope you find your favourite sound, the RD800 ia a nice instrument with great capabilities to try!

(Beware of scaling the settings, 10 on the FP80 might be a 127 on the RD800)

Edited by Rolf Benz (12/06/14 03:52 PM)

#2358951 - 12/06/14 03:55 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Rolf Benz]
Jakob789521 Offline

This is great thanks very much smile I will definitely use these as a starting point. I am very grateful.

I hope when I get to know this instrument a bit better, I can start contributing to this thread.

#2363010 - 12/18/14 02:51 AM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
jonathanelsender Offline

Hi
Was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to set up an expression pedal as a wah pedal on the rd 800? I know it is possible on Nord Stage and would like to know if there is a similar feature on the Roland as I can't find anything about it in the manual or in the menu.
Thanks
Jon

#2363116 - 12/18/14 12:30 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

Hi Jon,

I replied to your comment on the Roland Canada blog that you left yesterday.

Jay

#2363152 - 12/18/14 01:52 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Jay Roland]
jonathanelsender Offline

Hey Jay
Just checked your reply
Thanks very much for getting back to me
Jon

#2363165 - 12/18/14 02:35 PM Re: ROLAND RD-800 USER THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

You're welcome sir!

Jay

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations at Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What are some great ways to learn the blues?
by brucepiano
2 minutes 47 seconds ago
Do you recommend an undercover on upright with Dampp-Chaser?
by thestar
43 minutes 17 seconds ago
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
Today at 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
Today at 01:37 PM
5 adjacent dead keys
by levendig
Today at 01:18 PM
Forum Stats
77374 Members
42 Forums
160019 Topics
2349908 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission