Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2286621 - 06/06/14 02:22 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
Here is Stölzel's Bourree in G minor. https://soundcloud.com/8octaves/bourree-in-g-minor-c3x

Orginally this was know as JS Bach's work, but the work was taken by Bach from his friend Stölzel and Bach wrote another movement at the end, and put it in his notebook, so it became known as Bach. Later historians figured out this portion belongs to Heinrich Stölzel.

Music from RCM Level 5 List A. Recorded on Yamaha C3X using Blue Yeti Pro to Audacity. Thanks for listening!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2286957 - 06/07/14 12:11 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
beechcraft409 Offline

Wasn't planning to post here, I made this for other reasons. But I figured I might as well share here, too.

#2287336 - 06/08/14 12:48 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Piano Primo - This is really a lovely piece. I can almost feel the intoxication of the rarified air and breathless vistas. You must be on the right track.

8 Octaves - Thanks for helping to prove my point about Bach. You do him justice with your careful attention to articulation and dynamics. I enjoy your playing. Cat Stevens was terrific.

Beachcraft - a fittingly lovely tribute to your beautiful cousin. I lost my mom last year and still think about her every day and continue to find solace in my music. I hope you do too.

Edited by Starr Keys (06/08/14 12:57 PM)

#2287662 - 06/09/14 10:57 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
8 Octaves, that was exquisite! Bach certainly had good taste; I read somewhere that he often plagiarized from himself! A charming piece, well executed!

Nick, nicely done, a touching piece. Would that we all could be remembered so lovingly!

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2288305 - 06/10/14 11:25 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
Thank for the great music. Its nice to meet old and new friends here. I hope to submit Weiyan's cover of ladypayne's arrangement soon. Not sure If I am capable to play it.

#2288656 - 06/11/14 07:12 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Welcome back to the piano bars Weiyan! I am looking forward to hear you play again as it has been a while since I last heard you play your Bach pieces.

Mstachowsky - A true classic! Very well played! Too bad you didn’t capture the video while you were playing.

Wuxia - There is nothing crude about that performance or recording….! It was fantastic as a matter of fact!! I am listening to it for a second time already…You really play with a lot of emotions and it is a joy to listen to your playing. I absolutely loved it!! Thanks for sharing!

Piano Primo - That was great playing! I am not sure I understand your issue with the sync and the frame rate in your video. But I am glad you figured out a way around the problem you faced. Thanks for sharing!

8 Octaves - What a treat! You play very well! Your piano sounds wonderful too! Thanks for explaining the story behind this piece too.

Beechcraft - What an emotional performance and video you have put together. I am sure your beloved cousin can hear it from where she is. You play really well and your grand piano sounds great!

#2288921 - 06/12/14 02:21 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
I've been absent for a while. Waaay too busy. This one is Lonely Woman by Horace Silver.

Giving the Soundcloud embedding a try...

If this doesn't work, then the usual Box link....

Lonely Woman

Edited by kenjazz (06/12/14 02:22 PM)

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#2288947 - 06/12/14 03:39 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
500 Post Club Member

KenJazz Playing like yours is how smooth jazz got it's name! Ken, you sound so professional. I know we've been playing for about the same amount of time and you are truly an inspiration to me.

Here is my arrangement of an old standard. It is dedicated to another member who has been an inspiration to me.I have been working on several songs at the same time, and I wasn't planning on recording this one until the recital in August, as there's still a lot to do on it, especially on the vocal. But Elssa and I had been commiserating recently over our losses of family members we loved and discussing the old songs which remind us of times when we were happy together. Since she's sent so much cheer our way for so long, I thought it worth a try to send some hers.

Edited by Starr Keys (06/12/14 06:06 PM)

#2289075 - 06/12/14 08:36 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ken - That was lovely! Great playing as always! You never disappoint! Is that your own arrangement by the way? It is always such a treat to listen to your multitrack pieces. I think it as a nice dimension to your jazz music. Thanks for sharing!

Starr Keys - What an up-beat piece! We have come to expect great playing and singing from you and this was no exception. Do you play and sing at the same time or do you record the tracks separately? Great video too! It is as colorful as your playing and singing!

#2289097 - 06/12/14 10:10 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Amaruk
Starr Keys - What an up-beat piece! We have come to expect great playing and singing from you and this was no exception. Do you play and sing at the same time or do you record the tracks separately? Great video too! It is as colorful as your playing and singing!

Thanks, Amaruk. I think this might be my favorite comment ever!

I played and sung at the same time. I edited a 1.3 second blooper during the first part of my piano solo after I finished recording, but what you heard was recorded straight through in its entirety. I could play it better if I wasn't singing and I could sing better if I wasn't playing (I thought about auotuning my voice for Elssa's sake, but I was afraid I'd get to liking it too much). I have recorded my voice over my piano recording once or twice, but what's the point when my goals is to learn to accompany myself for live performance.

#2289238 - 06/13/14 06:45 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
kenjazz Offline

Originally Posted By: Amaruk
Ken - That was lovely! Great playing as always! You never disappoint! Is that your own arrangement by the way?

Thanks Amaruk and Starr Keys!. I neglected to include the link to the blog post.

Lonely Woman blog post

I'm trying to lift the arrangement from a local San Francisco pianist named Roy Brown, that I heard in a small jazz club when I was there in 2009.

Schimmel 120J

#2289269 - 06/13/14 09:13 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ken, wow, that was magnificent. I'm feeling her pain, really. So bluesey, but without the cliches. You really brought out the beautiful harmonies so well. I'm putting this song on my list of stuff to learn (long list), but I will have to transpose it to a more civilized key, I'm sure. Love it at this tempo. I still remember hearing Silver at Newport, 1958; it was a real thrill for me.

BTW, the Soundcloud embedding worked fine, as long as you don't mind the top of your head being cut off! smile

Starr Keys, that was easy on the ears, indeed. You have a very appealing voice. BTW, I recognized a lot of the graphics as I watched the video - a nice tribute to Elssa!

Ed

#2289336 - 06/13/14 01:02 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Starr Keys]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Thank you so much, Starr Keys (Denise)..I really appreciate it. You really bring out the heart and soul of these great classics/standards with your lovely singing and stylish skillful playing, as always! You and the music have been a good friend and help keep me going. smile

P.S. Loved your improv/walking bass. thumb

Edited by Elssa (06/13/14 01:05 PM)

#2289343 - 06/13/14 01:32 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
kenjazz Offline

Originally Posted By: Riddler
Ken, wow, that was magnificent. I'm feeling her pain, really. So bluesey, but without the cliches. You really brought out the beautiful harmonies so well. I'm putting this song on my list of stuff to learn (long list), but I will have to transpose it to a more civilized key, I'm sure. Love it at this tempo. I still remember hearing Silver at Newport, 1958; it was a real thrill for me.

BTW, the Soundcloud embedding worked fine, as long as you don't mind the top of your head being cut off! smile

Ed

Thank you Ed! Yeah, it is in Ebm which is a lot of flats, but that is better than a lot of sharps IMO smile I can't believe that you got to see him at the Newport festival back in '58. That must have been such a treat. Did he play this song then?

I have a recorded rendition of 500 Miles High from the Gary Burton class last year too. I'm glad that I didn't post it! Yours sounds so much better, particularly what you did with the head. I like how you weaved those full arpeggios in there, even at that speed. Mine is much more sparse for sure. It sounds great.

Starr Keys - Nice job with the walking bass, then switching comping styles. There was so much variation in there for just piano and vocals. I love that you did a full length solo interlude too. That was fun to listen to.

Amaruk - The Eagles package was powerful! solo-ized arrangement, patented video technique, and rock-solid performance. So much multi-media fun to take in. Thanks

LadyPayne - Boy, your chops are just growing by leaps and bounds. So This Is Love was flowing really effortlessly and tastefully.

Gaffster - Very nice sound on the vocals, composition and arrangement. In the final mix, I would mix the vocal up quite a bit more prominently though.

Wuxia - Such beautifully expressive arpeggios. If I could do that with jazz, it would open up a whole new world of playing. Sigh.

Mstachowsky - I love that. A video of a recording! The nice even flow was well rehearsed and sounded great. Keep it going!

Beechcraft - To me, musical tributes are the best kind. They bring forth the most memories and emotions, and stay with us the longest. Yours was lovely.

8 Octaves - Beautiful execution on the Bach, sweet sounding piano, and a history lesson to boot. Excellent.

Piano Primo - Your flowing sound seems to become more and more natural each time you post something. Swiss Air sounded very nice. Keep up the good work.

Schimmel 120J

#2289452 - 06/13/14 08:52 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you all for your kind words about my performance of The Eagles.

For those of you who are interested, I just created a pdf file with my arrangement and it is available here: https://app.box.com/s/6vnj8ix7l5dxfp0nhap5

#2289474 - 06/13/14 10:05 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kenjazz
.. I can't believe that you got to see him at the Newport festival back in '58. That must have been such a treat. Did he play this song then?

I know he played Senor Blues, but I don't know what other songs he did.

Originally Posted By: kenjazz

I have a recorded rendition of 500 Miles High from the Gary Burton class last year too. I'm glad that I didn't post it! Yours sounds so much better, particularly what you did with the head. I like how you weaved those full arpeggios in there, even at that speed. Mine is much more sparse for sure. It sounds great.

Tks. Actually, I did not like the version I submitted for the course. I thought the song was kinda fascinating because a lot of the important notes (the held notes) turn out to be top notes of big upper structure type chords, which change in unexpected ways. (It called up an image buried in my psyche of a giant striding across the globe, stepping from mountaintop to mountaintop. A Nietzsche metaphor, I think.) I thought it was clever to be able to write a singable tune that way. If you play the head in the typical way with single note melody and left hand rootless voicings, as I did during the course, that cleverness does not come across. So recently I decided to try to find a way to work all those notes in under the melody, and finally came up with these arpeggios. Fun puzzle to work on, for me.

Ed

#2289518 - 06/14/14 02:48 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Riddler
Starr Keys, that was easy on the ears, indeed. You have a very appealing voice. BTW, I recognized a lot of the graphics as I watched the video - a nice tribute to Elssa!

Thanks Ed. My husband was less enthusiastic about the graphics on this video than any of my others, and when I probed him for the reason, it turned out it was because he'd never seen Elssa' video song graphics nor her PianoWorld posts of Eddy Duchin memorobelia and the crazy organ lady/cartoons, so none of it made sense in the context of the song. I probably should have explained what this was all about when I posted the song. I also appreciate the kind words about the vocal. I know it could be a lot better, but it's good to know it at least didn't cause you dis-ease.:)

Originally Posted By: Elssa
Thank you so much, Starr Keys I really appreciate it. You really bring out the heart and soul of these great classics/standards with your lovely singing and stylish skillful playing, as always! You and the music have been a good friend and help keep me going. P.S. Loved your improv/walking bass.

Well, this is a first for me. It's the first time I am immune to anyone else's indifference or criticism now that I've heard this from you. And you could have taken the words right out of my mouth as to how I feel about your latest submissions. If there is any truth in this it has to be that I absorbed it from you by osmosis. And I think I may have picked up more then one tip on "improvising a walking bass" from you on your video tutorial Techniques II.:)

Originally Posted By: KenJazz
Starr Keys - Nice job with the walking bass, then switching comping styles. There was so much variation in there for just piano and vocals. I love that you did a full length solo interlude too. That was fun to listen to.

Wow, Ken! For you to take the trouble to go into this much detail about my performance. It makes me feel taken seriously as a beginning Jazz stylist, which is another first for me. Thank you.

#2289568 - 06/14/14 10:00 AM Re: #2 "Swiss Air" EH Himmel 6 5 14 frame rate 23 per sec 192 kb [Re: piano_primo_1]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Piano Primo 1

Liked the string addition. Have you thought about adding strings as a separate entity? You have more flexibility then. Nice work, man!

""

#2289571 - 06/14/14 10:05 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: 8 Octaves]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

8 Octaves

Lovely and lively! Enjoyed that effervescent piece on your piano. This sounded unusual for an acoustic . . . totally in tune, no resonances flying all over the place; clear as a bell . . .most unusual! grin

""

#2289577 - 06/14/14 10:10 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: beechcraft409]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

beechcraft409

A framework of chords and some fitting melody. This is pleasant and befits the modern approach which I like to use myself. Hope to hear more from you.

""

#2289578 - 06/14/14 10:19 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

kenjazz

A lonely woman - Yes, you can picture some lass sitting by herself on a bar stool hoping for some company. Maybe not the best picture but you paint it well. And that bass player . . . I need him for some o` my stuff . . . aye, and the drummer. Come to think of it, you can do the piano bit and I`ll stand next to the lonely woman . .

""

#2289581 - 06/14/14 10:26 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Starr Keys]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Starr Keys

Straight from an ole Hollywood score. Sounded right, and your bit in the middle was excellent. So sorry to hear of your losses (you and Elssa) I guess this is an age thing and I`m not getting younger. I notice this old fella staring at me in the mirror . . .and wonder what Dad`s doin` here . . . . grin

""

#2289903 - 06/15/14 01:08 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: ladypayne
Thought I'd go ahead and start the Piano bar this month smile
I did my own arrangement of This is Love from Disney's Cinderella. I also have written out the sheet music for this one so if you would like it, send me a pm with your email smile

So This is Love (Piano Only)
https://app.box.com/s/0nxnqxyhwl02rbj1otfr

So This is Love (with Cello, used my music program for this)
https://app.box.com/s/bwpxfc1bt7xiq62k314p

Wow, that was really wonderful, LadyPayne. I haven't played that one but am going to give it a go now. smile

Still catching up with all the great recordings here in the Bar..sorry, been very busy with work lately.

Here's another Disney tune, my own arrangement as well:

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

Edited by Elssa (06/15/14 01:20 AM)

#2289925 - 06/15/14 02:01 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
8 Octaves Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws
This sounded unusual for an acoustic . . . totally in tune, no resonances flying all over the place; clear as a bell . . .most unusual! grin

Hmm, do you like it? It's the new Yamaha CX series sound. I do keep it in primo condition. I think somebody at the last ABF Recital thought it was a digital. Too funny. Now, the condition of my car, not so great....

#2289976 - 06/15/14 04:45 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: 8 Octaves]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

" I think somebody at the last ABF Recital thought it was a digital. Too funny. Now, the condition of my car, not so great...."

Hope it wasn`t me! But I have this sneaking feeling it might`ve been . . .

It did sound good. I had an upright straight strung piano when I was a kid which also was very clear and loud. My granddad played his First World War marches on it, including some he`d wrote himself. My uncle played his ragtime stuff (always in "g") on it . . . Dad complained about the racket, it was that loud. But he bought it in the first place . . .

""

#2290138 - 06/15/14 04:34 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Here`s my contribution . . .this multitrack stuff`s getting on me nerves. It`ll be piano only from now . . . uploading to Youtube is so tedious. So I went elsewhere . . hope this works!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zjf6s_mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm_music

Edited by peterws (06/15/14 04:44 PM)

""

#2290189 - 06/15/14 06:52 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
500 Post Club Member

ElssaThis was the first movie my mom and I ever saw together, so you can imagine how magical it was for me. The sights and sounds of the clip you posted are engraved indellibly on my brain.... I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one can play a Disney song for me as beautifully as you do, although Lady Payne is coming in a close second!

PeterswThe perfect antidote to my and Elssa's "Hollywood musical" optimism before things become a bit too saccharine. Don't know if it was deliberate on your part, but that elevator was definitely going down. smile Very nice melody. I liked the unresolving surprise of some of its cadences. But then you're all over the map with music, and its always fun to discover where you're going to go next. Thanks for the cool ride.

#2290193 - 06/15/14 07:14 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Just a person listening. Want to encourage you all. Nice entertainment from everyone.

#2290202 - 06/15/14 07:38 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: peterws
Here`s my contribution

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......thats the sound of listening to something very satisfying, excellent work.

#2290307 - 06/16/14 03:26 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
8 Octaves Offline

Did you get all those instruments from your DGX? Very fun. Did you play them all at the same time somehow or all separately? Very nice.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (36251, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, Alex1, 41 invisible), 1513 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75566 Members
42 Forums
156235 Topics
2294544 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
teaching in a studio vs independently from home
by JRoberts
Today at 07:40 PM
First time piano buyer - please help!
by Ksi
Today at 07:29 PM
Verituner Data Download?
by A443
Today at 07:27 PM
Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory
by Weiyan
Today at 07:14 PM
Practicing slow is only part of it
by Sweet06
Today at 06:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission