Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2283736 - 05/31/14 12:27 PM June Piano Bar
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
Thought I'd go ahead and start the Piano bar this month smile
I did my own arrangement of This is Love from Disney's Cinderella. I also have written out the sheet music for this one so if you would like it, send me a pm with your email smile

So This is Love (Piano Only)
https://app.box.com/s/0nxnqxyhwl02rbj1otfr

So This is Love (with Cello, used my music program for this)
https://app.box.com/s/bwpxfc1bt7xiq62k314p

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2284189 - 06/01/14 03:16 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
gaffster Offline

Loc: east central florida

That was great Ladypayne, you really get around on the keyboard. I am not that good, so I have relegated myself to writing and recording. Here is one that is ready for final mix down:

https://app.box.com/s/ckzxa8rq0tramhyoluyd

#2284206 - 06/01/14 03:46 PM Re: June Piano Bar- Swiss Air [Re: ladypayne]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
I was hoping to open the June piano bar... aww shucks......
Here's my contribute.. first practice. but anyway I'm movin on to something else.,.....

Swiss Air 6 1 14 First rendition from Piano Primo 1 on Vimeo.

Really it's not the first but like the 100 th ....lol and still needs work... yeah .....

#2284232 - 06/01/14 04:19 PM Re: June Piano Bar- Swiss Air [Re: ladypayne]
Pover Offline

Loc: Jordan
Hey guys, sorry for the random question, but how do these piano bars work? I've seen a couple of them, but I keep assuming that these are only for non-classical pieces, right? Can someone give me a brief intro to how these usually go down, and if classical pieces (not compositions) are eligible for submissions? Thanks smile

#2284239 - 06/01/14 04:32 PM Re: June Piano Bar- Swiss Air [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Hi Pover:

Pretty much anyone with any style of a keyboard arrangement (including Classical), whether performed or written by the members and rendered partly with a music program is welcome here. I arrange most of my own and until recently was pretty much self-taught, and they even let me sing along with mine!!

So go for it. Can't wait to hear what you are up to.:)

#2284246 - 06/01/14 04:38 PM Re: June Piano Bar- Swiss Air [Re: ladypayne]
Pover Offline

First, thanks for the introduction :P and secondly, I have to say that I'm pretty sure I can't write music, hahaha. I barely scrape along just playing what the greats have already written. So is it okay if I play something like Bach or Chopin and post a recording/video here? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "rendered partly with a music program".

By the way, good for you for singing and playing at the same time!! I can't multi-task on a much simpler level unless I know the piece really really well. Maybe then I can speak to my friends telling them what to look for (in the music, of course :P) but it ends there/

#2284262 - 06/01/14 05:02 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pover
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "rendered partly with a music program
"

Well I'm not sure I know exactly what it means either, but LadyPayne who opened the Bar this month does it well and no one seems to mind. As far as playing classical music in the Bar threads, I'd wager that more people in this forum play classical than play anything else and Bach is a big favorite around here. It is customary, however, to give feedback to other players if you participate yourself.

LadyPayne - Wow, how far you've come since I've been away. You sound like you've been taking some lessons from Elssa. I think she does this song in one of her video tutorials.

Swiss Air - Pretty piece. You have a nice touch and I like the sweet voice you chose to play this in. Good luck with Rendition 2.

#2284292 - 06/01/14 06:16 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Ladypayne, very nice, very full arrangement, complete with lots of big runs, and played well. Curious - how did you do the cello part?

Gaffner, very easy to listen to, I liked it. Can you fill us in re how you created it?

Piano primo, don't be too hard on yourself, we've all been there - playing something over and over, trying to get a good take. You've got most of it down pat now, and sounding good.

My piece this month is 500 Miles High, a beautiful song written by jazz pianist Chick Corea.

There has been much debate about the meaning of the title, and about the unusual harmonies, which I find quite intriguing.

I don't remember ever hearing the song till I worked on it for the Gary Burton Coursera course. (Thanks, Gary!)

I am playing my own arrangement and solo, but the drums and bass are courtesy of a backing track provided for the course.

Ed

500 Miles High

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2284299 - 06/01/14 06:33 PM Re: June Piano Bar- Swiss Air [Re: Pover]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Pover
So is it okay if I play something like Bach or Chopin and post a recording/video here? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "rendered partly with a music program".

My understanding it that anything goes in the piano bar as far as the material or the recording method goes. Singing, multi tracking, editing are all acceptable. We have quarterly recitals as well where again any material is welcome but it is preferred if there is no or minimum editing. Heck, I would even listen to someone doing scales here it is that open, so love to hear some Bach or Chopin.

#2284312 - 06/01/14 07:03 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
500 Post Club Member

Quote:

Gaffner, very easy to listen to, I liked it. Can you fill us in re how you created it?

Gaffner: yes, please do! How empowering it must be to produce something yourself people used to sell their soul to an evil corporate master to achieve. Very cool!

Ed I've never seen you work ensemble style before. You are becoming quite the all around musician and could probably get paid for it if you wanted to. Well Done!

Edited by Starr Keys (06/01/14 07:05 PM)

#2284326 - 06/01/14 08:08 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Gaffner: wow, loved it, why don't you have a record deal?

Riddler outstanding: so glad we get to hear works with backing tracks so we get the complete immersion

piano primo 1 very nice, sounds like you have a nice light touch which is so important for a piece like this

ladypayne gorgeous arrangement, you have a gift there.

#2284327 - 06/01/14 08:08 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Ladypayne - Great job! There is so much great music in the classic Disney movies.

Gaffster - That was incredible! How did you create that? Is that you playing all instruments and singing?

Piano Primo - I really liked it. I think most of us think that our pieces need more work… Great job!

Pover - Like the others have said; anything goes here. Just join in on the fun!

Ed - What a treat!! It sounds very professional!! Your arrangement fits really well with the drum and bass tracks they gave you.

My entry this month is a short piece by Howard Shore called The Eagles. It is yet another song from the soundtrack to the movie The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I really like the melody in this song so I wanted to turn it into a piano solo piece. Here is the arrangement I came up with:

#2284374 - 06/01/14 11:49 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
piano_primo_1 Offline

I noticed on my piece “Swiss Air” toward the middle tempo change and after, the strength of the melody is lost and the phrases goes "loose", through til the end.
I am going to redo this, but it is it a combination of the lack of practice, or is it the song? I’ve never actually heard this song, and couldn’t find it on youtube.
Silly of me but.....
is this the waltz song titled "The Lendler" in the Sound of Music?

Edited by piano_primo_1 (06/02/14 12:12 AM)
Edit Reason: info

#2284424 - 06/02/14 03:14 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Pover Offline

Thanks Star keys and earofmar for all the info and help. Much appreciated!

I might post a recording this week, but you have to excuse the (really bad :P) quality, since the only recording device I have is my phone, and I don't have mic's or what have you. I felt I needed to apologize for this in advance, since it's gonna be less appealing to listen to (if the playing sounded good in the first place ha ), and I'm gonna have to convert it to mp3.

Anyway, I'm excited and looking forward to submitting something, and I'll make sure to get back to you guys and comment on the great recordings!

P.S: I think it's bach for this month.
P.P.S: I just remembered! I'm going to go on vacation to "Sharm el Sheikh - Concorde el Salam" hotel (check it out if you want). I was first dismayed that I'm gonna be left without a piano for 5 days, UNTIL I SAW A PIANO BAR WITH A GRAND PIANO THERE! hahaha so I'm very excited and I've gotta get some pieces ready to play and provide a little romantic mood in the evenings :P

#2284479 - 06/02/14 07:37 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
Profiled for later viewing with speakers.

(note to self: also check out what jazz sounds like to get an idea

Not sure why, but when I set a topic to be "Watched" it simply states that I have nothing in my watch list when I go to have a look.

#2284488 - 06/02/14 08:07 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
mstachowsky Offline

Ladypayne - Very neat sound, I love that "jazz-ish" piano type playing that I can just keep on in the background and chill out to :-)

gaffster - wow, I was not expecting voice! I have to say that woke me up. Are there multiple voices singing, or was it just you recorded a few times or with some effects? VERY professional.

piano_primo - great sound. I've personally always hated playing dances, I just don't have the tempo control for it :-( Nice job! Don't worry if it's not perfect, just wait until you hear mine :-P I can hear ALL of my mistakes haha.

Amaruk - Very nice piece. I've always love LOTR soundtracks.

My entry is J.S. Bach's Prelude No. 1 in C Major from the Well Tempered Clavier. I'm not gonna lie, I chose this one because it's the simplest piece that I have at reasonable quality :-P I also use it as a "sight-reading primer" piece, so I don't memorize it. This creates a somewhat awkward page turn about 2/3 of the way through, but just think of that as "fun with rubato" and you're all set haha.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6EPU7bb8ak Sorry for the quality, I only have my phone.

Mike

#2284673 - 06/02/14 02:54 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
gaffster Offline

Amaruk, That is sweet from my favorite movie series...cool video fades...! I am gonna get the Blu-Ray trilogy extended box set just because the music is supposed to sound awesome on surround. Riddler, Primo and mstachowsky; Great work. I remember fellow Floridian Riddler from a few years ago.

I write songs on a plain old upright piano. As for recording I use Fl Studios software on my laptop and any midi-capable keyboard to "Play-In" as much as I can. Keyboard players have a real advantage over other or non-musicians. You can fix and repeat sections to your heart's desire, so "red-dot" syndrome is not an issue. You get to select the best samples/patches for the part (1000's of possibilities) and add effects. Anything analog such as vocals or bass guitar goes into FL Studios using an Allen Heath USB mixer. Many mixers, even cheap ones have a USB output that can send wave file data to your software. I find that music software at around 300 dollars has about as much capability as a $250 thousand dollar "tape" studio did 30 years ago !

My rule is I try not to record music that is beyond my ability to perform it live with my band.

Edited by gaffster (06/02/14 03:00 PM)

#2284714 - 06/02/14 03:41 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: gaffster]
Pover Offline

gaffster, everything you said is true. Those people can edit, fix, and choose the sections they performed best, all at a convenient computer screen. However, I have to say, if someone thinks this is an important part of music-making, then they aren't making any...

You see, I never understood why people spend lots of time editing, and why others spend a lot of time complaining and hating those who edit. For me, at least, music really is an art, and a way to express myself. The moments I feel this most is when I'm home alone, playing a piece I dearly love. Sure, I might not get it note perfect or exactly how I want it to sound - it doesn't always have to be - but I really enjoy the particular experience. I worry about bringing out this melody over the accompaniment in the same hand, or bringing out the bass note more than the harmony filler, but that all happens when I practice. And I spend lots of time getting the sound just as I want it, with as few mistakes as possible, with as much facility as possible. But when I perform, that's the fruit of the labor. Usually by the time I start performing (for myself, 99% of the time), I get to enjoy what I've worked hard on. I stop thinking in terms of note-perfect performances or 100% no-mishaps whatsoever. Instead, I just try to enjoy it!

I hope this is not coming off the wrong way, and I certainly do not mean this as a personal attack on you. This is basically just a general massage/rant/thinking-out-loud that I felt needed to be expressed. When I read in your post the lengths people would go and the details one might spend in order to get a perfect performance, I just felt something was wrong there. It's about being a musician, not a sound engineer. Again, please don't take this the wrong way (anyone)... I'm as much a beginner as most of you are, but I feel very strong about this subject. I invite you to start thinking in terms of musicianship rather than delivery. There is no good or bad musicians. You play piano. You love music. Do what you can to make beautiful music. It need not be difficult or complex, it can be simple and beautiful, and it can be at your level and music that you can enjoy at any given time.

Again, I repeat, I hope no one takes offence from this. This is my point of view but I hope you all consider it, and think in terms of music more than delivery of product smile

#2284792 - 06/02/14 05:23 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Pover]
gaffster Offline

Hi Pover, I have been playing bass guitar in live bands for 30 years, so I know all about what you are saying. The reason I learned piano was mostly to be able to write and record. I consider a "dedicated" recording session to be a different activity than performing and simply capturing that performance.

Edited by gaffster (06/02/14 05:31 PM)

#2284807 - 06/02/14 05:42 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Ed - 500 Miles High

Really enjoyed your take on this. I've been doing the Gary Burton class too, although with a live recital on my plate at the same time I really couldn't do much more than listen to the lectures and fiddle just a bit with the assignments. Can always do it again later. You really hang with it on 500 Miles...just like a pro...and I like your choices. Nice work.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2285196 - 06/03/14 02:00 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
UKIkarus Offline

Listened to each of these, enjoyed them all smile

I find the variety of people playing different pieces at different levels rather inspiring.

Edited by UKIkarus (06/03/14 02:01 PM)

#2285351 - 06/03/14 08:34 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Gaffster - That is great that you are getting the extended version of LOTR on Blu-ray as I am sure both the sound and the picture quality is top notch!. There is so much great music in those movies. This was the 7:th cover piece I play from that soundtrack!

UKikarus - I hope you get your inspiration back soon. It so much fun to play the piano! It would be great if you could share something with us here. Your Yamaha MOX8 synthezizer/workstation is such a great instrument!

#2285448 - 06/04/14 12:26 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Amaruk, very listenable, well played, especially the left hand work. You certainly know how to arrange a song. Neat video, too.

Mike, beautiful piece, isn't it? Takes me back to another world. Page turning - the universal pet peave of all pianists; it made you pause, but you resumed immediatley without coming unravelled. Well done.

JimF, when I started the course last year, I immediately had to bail out because I had to leave town unexpectedly for a month, but I signed up for the next session and was able to complete it. Good course, hope you can pick it up again.

Ed

#2285516 - 06/04/14 06:27 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
UKIkarus Offline

Originally Posted By: Amaruk

UKikarus - I hope you get your inspiration back soon. It so much fun to play the piano! It would be great if you could share something with us here. Your Yamaha MOX8 synthezizer/workstation is such a great instrument!

The hardware is great, the player... not so much laugh I have barely even begun to scratch the surface of what it is capable of, one day perhaps.

#2285519 - 06/04/14 07:06 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
wuxia Offline

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria

Edited by wuxia (06/04/14 07:08 AM)

#2285941 - 06/05/14 04:45 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Enjoyed listening to you lot last night. Great stuff all round.

LadyPayne

A fine rendition, young lady! Plenty o` filling in and good octaves evident in your playing. You`re getting better rapidly. Seriously nice work here. And the `cello keeps wonderful; time with the piano!

Gaffoter

Your vocals deserve more pre eminence. Everything here has a modern ring to it and is a welcome addition to the PianoBar. Loved the multi-vocals and general feel of the song. Appreciate the time you must have put in here. Excellent.

Piano Primo

All the elements are in place here. A few hesitatios which time will iron out. I souldn like that every time I do a new song and it lasts ages before I sort it in my head. Onwards and upwards! Your progress will be rapid, I`m sure.

Riddler

Snappy stuff which I`d love to play. I find jazz hard, and this is so smooth. Great to listen to; great to drink to if you don`t mind the odd yeast infection . . .

Amaruk

Lovely rich sound and quality videos are a by word here. You never disappoint. That piano is unsurpassed. LX15?

mstachowsky

Well done! And now for the other 47 . . . It`s good to see new ones here. Bach is a great place to start and lends itself to other genres. I heard no mistakes, time will smooth out anything else. Grab yourself a Midi Usb cable; recording is so easy with those.

wuxia

A dark piece from Chopin with lighter interludes. as he does, Plenty of ability and confidence here. Great listening!

See y`all later . . .

""

#2285945 - 06/05/14 04:52 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
500 Post Club Member

mstachowsky How nice of you to come out and post some Bach to make Pover feel welcome. You play well, tempo even throughout and the dynamics build nicely. Also, I thought it was cool how you turn on the tape recorder on your piano at the beginning of the video. I did a video like this once, but I just filmed a picture of my piano with an art piece I put together inpired by the music placed on the music rest, so people would have something to look at while the recorder played. What you did was better -- no pretence live performance art!

Amurak Another one of your magical mystery movie tours. Always a treat! But I also enjoy your Belle Epoch waltzes and Parisian street music. I wish you'd try making your own movie of that some time, street urchin outside Maxim's playing the accordian (or whatever its ancestor was in those days) while the wealthy and beautiful dance inside to those gorgeous waltzes you play. Or, come to think of it, I think Woody Allen has a scene like this in his movie, Midnight in Paris, you could use.

wuxia Crude is the opposite word that comes to mind listening to you play, more like refined and high culture, yet with so much emotion and power....I can only dream.

#2286275 - 06/05/14 06:24 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wuxia, beautiful. Very expressive, and you wowed me with those arpeggios. If that is "crude" to you , your standards are very high indeed. I am envious, bigtime!

Ed

#2286291 - 06/05/14 07:03 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
gaffster Offline

Yeah....I agree with Ed.

#2286569 - 06/06/14 12:07 PM #2 "Swiss Air" EH Himmel 6 5 14 frame rate 23 per sec 192 kb [Re: ladypayne]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Hi all, I apologize for no feedback , I am not really having a chance to view other vids.
It's been hectic and snafu-frazzle filled for me , with piano as an escape from it and chaos.
That being explained ,
-I redid this piece with strings and a little more practice;
the use of the pedal was essential because the strings just seemed to run the melody phrases together without it's use.
I also changed the frame rate because it seems out of sync after uploading to vimeo at 30 fps.
Any feedback welcome

#2 "Swiss Air" EH Himmel 6 5 14 frame rate 23 per sec 192 kbs from Piano Primo 1 on Vimeo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, AmateurBob, Alex1, 88 Fingers Jeff, 43 invisible), 1825 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75506 Members
42 Forums
156138 Topics
2292843 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about finger reach!
by Plopsy
7 minutes 7 seconds ago
OK so a 700 pound grand piano walks into my house and...
by BrianDX
24 minutes 9 seconds ago
Digital Piano Sufficient for a Newbie?
by DancerJ
43 minutes 37 seconds ago
E.Tubin - "Ballade on a theme of Mart Saar"
by Svenno
52 minutes 16 seconds ago
What key signature are you?
by Saranoya
53 minutes 5 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission