Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2283736 - 05/31/14 12:27 PM June Piano Bar
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
Thought I'd go ahead and start the Piano bar this month smile
I did my own arrangement of This is Love from Disney's Cinderella. I also have written out the sheet music for this one so if you would like it, send me a pm with your email smile

So This is Love (Piano Only)
https://app.box.com/s/0nxnqxyhwl02rbj1otfr

So This is Love (with Cello, used my music program for this)
https://app.box.com/s/bwpxfc1bt7xiq62k314p

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2284189 - 06/01/14 03:16 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
gaffster Offline

Loc: east central florida

That was great Ladypayne, you really get around on the keyboard. I am not that good, so I have relegated myself to writing and recording. Here is one that is ready for final mix down:

https://app.box.com/s/ckzxa8rq0tramhyoluyd

#2284206 - 06/01/14 03:46 PM Re: June Piano Bar- Swiss Air [Re: ladypayne]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
I was hoping to open the June piano bar... aww shucks......
Here's my contribute.. first practice. but anyway I'm movin on to something else.,.....

Swiss Air 6 1 14 First rendition from Piano Primo 1 on Vimeo.

Really it's not the first but like the 100 th ....lol and still needs work... yeah .....

#2284232 - 06/01/14 04:19 PM Re: June Piano Bar- Swiss Air [Re: ladypayne]
Pover Online   content

Loc: Jordan
Hey guys, sorry for the random question, but how do these piano bars work? I've seen a couple of them, but I keep assuming that these are only for non-classical pieces, right? Can someone give me a brief intro to how these usually go down, and if classical pieces (not compositions) are eligible for submissions? Thanks smile

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18
Bach French Suite 5
Chopin nocturne op.9/2

#2284239 - 06/01/14 04:32 PM Re: June Piano Bar- Swiss Air [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Hi Pover:

Pretty much anyone with any style of a keyboard arrangement (including Classical), whether performed or written by the members and rendered partly with a music program is welcome here. I arrange most of my own and until recently was pretty much self-taught, and they even let me sing along with mine!!

So go for it. Can't wait to hear what you are up to.:)

#2284246 - 06/01/14 04:38 PM Re: June Piano Bar- Swiss Air [Re: ladypayne]
Pover Online   content

First, thanks for the introduction :P and secondly, I have to say that I'm pretty sure I can't write music, hahaha. I barely scrape along just playing what the greats have already written. So is it okay if I play something like Bach or Chopin and post a recording/video here? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "rendered partly with a music program".

By the way, good for you for singing and playing at the same time!! I can't multi-task on a much simpler level unless I know the piece really really well. Maybe then I can speak to my friends telling them what to look for (in the music, of course :P) but it ends there/

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18
Bach French Suite 5
Chopin nocturne op.9/2

#2284262 - 06/01/14 05:02 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pover
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "rendered partly with a music program
"

Well I'm not sure I know exactly what it means either, but LadyPayne who opened the Bar this month does it well and no one seems to mind. As far as playing classical music in the Bar threads, I'd wager that more people in this forum play classical than play anything else and Bach is a big favorite around here. It is customary, however, to give feedback to other players if you participate yourself.

LadyPayne - Wow, how far you've come since I've been away. You sound like you've been taking some lessons from Elssa. I think she does this song in one of her video tutorials.

Swiss Air - Pretty piece. You have a nice touch and I like the sweet voice you chose to play this in. Good luck with Rendition 2.

#2284292 - 06/01/14 06:16 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Ladypayne, very nice, very full arrangement, complete with lots of big runs, and played well. Curious - how did you do the cello part?

Gaffner, very easy to listen to, I liked it. Can you fill us in re how you created it?

Piano primo, don't be too hard on yourself, we've all been there - playing something over and over, trying to get a good take. You've got most of it down pat now, and sounding good.

My piece this month is 500 Miles High, a beautiful song written by jazz pianist Chick Corea.

There has been much debate about the meaning of the title, and about the unusual harmonies, which I find quite intriguing.

I don't remember ever hearing the song till I worked on it for the Gary Burton Coursera course. (Thanks, Gary!)

I am playing my own arrangement and solo, but the drums and bass are courtesy of a backing track provided for the course.

Ed

500 Miles High

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2284299 - 06/01/14 06:33 PM Re: June Piano Bar- Swiss Air [Re: Pover]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Pover
So is it okay if I play something like Bach or Chopin and post a recording/video here? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "rendered partly with a music program".

My understanding it that anything goes in the piano bar as far as the material or the recording method goes. Singing, multi tracking, editing are all acceptable. We have quarterly recitals as well where again any material is welcome but it is preferred if there is no or minimum editing. Heck, I would even listen to someone doing scales here it is that open, so love to hear some Bach or Chopin.

#2284312 - 06/01/14 07:03 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:

Gaffner, very easy to listen to, I liked it. Can you fill us in re how you created it?

Gaffner: yes, please do! How empowering it must be to produce something yourself people used to sell their soul to an evil corporate master to achieve. Very cool!

Ed I've never seen you work ensemble style before. You are becoming quite the all around musician and could probably get paid for it if you wanted to. Well Done!

Edited by Starr Keys (06/01/14 07:05 PM)

#2284326 - 06/01/14 08:08 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Gaffner: wow, loved it, why don't you have a record deal?

Riddler outstanding: so glad we get to hear works with backing tracks so we get the complete immersion

piano primo 1 very nice, sounds like you have a nice light touch which is so important for a piece like this

ladypayne gorgeous arrangement, you have a gift there.

#2284327 - 06/01/14 08:08 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Ladypayne - Great job! There is so much great music in the classic Disney movies.

Gaffster - That was incredible! How did you create that? Is that you playing all instruments and singing?

Piano Primo - I really liked it. I think most of us think that our pieces need more work… Great job!

Pover - Like the others have said; anything goes here. Just join in on the fun!

Ed - What a treat!! It sounds very professional!! Your arrangement fits really well with the drum and bass tracks they gave you.

My entry this month is a short piece by Howard Shore called The Eagles. It is yet another song from the soundtrack to the movie The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I really like the melody in this song so I wanted to turn it into a piano solo piece. Here is the arrangement I came up with:

#2284374 - 06/01/14 11:49 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
piano_primo_1 Offline

I noticed on my piece “Swiss Air” toward the middle tempo change and after, the strength of the melody is lost and the phrases goes "loose", through til the end.
I am going to redo this, but it is it a combination of the lack of practice, or is it the song? I’ve never actually heard this song, and couldn’t find it on youtube.
Silly of me but.....
is this the waltz song titled "The Lendler" in the Sound of Music?

Edited by piano_primo_1 (06/02/14 12:12 AM)
Edit Reason: info

#2284424 - 06/02/14 03:14 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Pover Online   content

Thanks Star keys and earofmar for all the info and help. Much appreciated!

I might post a recording this week, but you have to excuse the (really bad :P) quality, since the only recording device I have is my phone, and I don't have mic's or what have you. I felt I needed to apologize for this in advance, since it's gonna be less appealing to listen to (if the playing sounded good in the first place ha ), and I'm gonna have to convert it to mp3.

Anyway, I'm excited and looking forward to submitting something, and I'll make sure to get back to you guys and comment on the great recordings!

P.S: I think it's bach for this month.
P.P.S: I just remembered! I'm going to go on vacation to "Sharm el Sheikh - Concorde el Salam" hotel (check it out if you want). I was first dismayed that I'm gonna be left without a piano for 5 days, UNTIL I SAW A PIANO BAR WITH A GRAND PIANO THERE! hahaha so I'm very excited and I've gotta get some pieces ready to play and provide a little romantic mood in the evenings :P

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18
Bach French Suite 5
Chopin nocturne op.9/2

#2284479 - 06/02/14 07:37 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
UKIkarus Online   content

Loc: England, South East
Profiled for later viewing with speakers.

(note to self: also check out what jazz sounds like to get an idea

Not sure why, but when I set a topic to be "Watched" it simply states that I have nothing in my watch list when I go to have a look.

#2284488 - 06/02/14 08:07 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
mstachowsky Offline

Ladypayne - Very neat sound, I love that "jazz-ish" piano type playing that I can just keep on in the background and chill out to :-)

gaffster - wow, I was not expecting voice! I have to say that woke me up. Are there multiple voices singing, or was it just you recorded a few times or with some effects? VERY professional.

piano_primo - great sound. I've personally always hated playing dances, I just don't have the tempo control for it :-( Nice job! Don't worry if it's not perfect, just wait until you hear mine :-P I can hear ALL of my mistakes haha.

Amaruk - Very nice piece. I've always love LOTR soundtracks.

My entry is J.S. Bach's Prelude No. 1 in C Major from the Well Tempered Clavier. I'm not gonna lie, I chose this one because it's the simplest piece that I have at reasonable quality :-P I also use it as a "sight-reading primer" piece, so I don't memorize it. This creates a somewhat awkward page turn about 2/3 of the way through, but just think of that as "fun with rubato" and you're all set haha.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6EPU7bb8ak Sorry for the quality, I only have my phone.

Mike

#2284673 - 06/02/14 02:54 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
gaffster Offline

Amaruk, That is sweet from my favorite movie series...cool video fades...! I am gonna get the Blu-Ray trilogy extended box set just because the music is supposed to sound awesome on surround. Riddler, Primo and mstachowsky; Great work. I remember fellow Floridian Riddler from a few years ago.

I write songs on a plain old upright piano. As for recording I use Fl Studios software on my laptop and any midi-capable keyboard to "Play-In" as much as I can. Keyboard players have a real advantage over other or non-musicians. You can fix and repeat sections to your heart's desire, so "red-dot" syndrome is not an issue. You get to select the best samples/patches for the part (1000's of possibilities) and add effects. Anything analog such as vocals or bass guitar goes into FL Studios using an Allen Heath USB mixer. Many mixers, even cheap ones have a USB output that can send wave file data to your software. I find that music software at around 300 dollars has about as much capability as a $250 thousand dollar "tape" studio did 30 years ago !

My rule is I try not to record music that is beyond my ability to perform it live with my band.

Edited by gaffster (06/02/14 03:00 PM)

#2284714 - 06/02/14 03:41 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: gaffster]
Pover Online   content

gaffster, everything you said is true. Those people can edit, fix, and choose the sections they performed best, all at a convenient computer screen. However, I have to say, if someone thinks this is an important part of music-making, then they aren't making any...

You see, I never understood why people spend lots of time editing, and why others spend a lot of time complaining and hating those who edit. For me, at least, music really is an art, and a way to express myself. The moments I feel this most is when I'm home alone, playing a piece I dearly love. Sure, I might not get it note perfect or exactly how I want it to sound - it doesn't always have to be - but I really enjoy the particular experience. I worry about bringing out this melody over the accompaniment in the same hand, or bringing out the bass note more than the harmony filler, but that all happens when I practice. And I spend lots of time getting the sound just as I want it, with as few mistakes as possible, with as much facility as possible. But when I perform, that's the fruit of the labor. Usually by the time I start performing (for myself, 99% of the time), I get to enjoy what I've worked hard on. I stop thinking in terms of note-perfect performances or 100% no-mishaps whatsoever. Instead, I just try to enjoy it!

I hope this is not coming off the wrong way, and I certainly do not mean this as a personal attack on you. This is basically just a general massage/rant/thinking-out-loud that I felt needed to be expressed. When I read in your post the lengths people would go and the details one might spend in order to get a perfect performance, I just felt something was wrong there. It's about being a musician, not a sound engineer. Again, please don't take this the wrong way (anyone)... I'm as much a beginner as most of you are, but I feel very strong about this subject. I invite you to start thinking in terms of musicianship rather than delivery. There is no good or bad musicians. You play piano. You love music. Do what you can to make beautiful music. It need not be difficult or complex, it can be simple and beautiful, and it can be at your level and music that you can enjoy at any given time.

Again, I repeat, I hope no one takes offence from this. This is my point of view but I hope you all consider it, and think in terms of music more than delivery of product smile

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18
Bach French Suite 5
Chopin nocturne op.9/2

#2284792 - 06/02/14 05:23 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Pover]
gaffster Offline

Hi Pover, I have been playing bass guitar in live bands for 30 years, so I know all about what you are saying. The reason I learned piano was mostly to be able to write and record. I consider a "dedicated" recording session to be a different activity than performing and simply capturing that performance.

Edited by gaffster (06/02/14 05:31 PM)

#2284807 - 06/02/14 05:42 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Ed - 500 Miles High

Really enjoyed your take on this. I've been doing the Gary Burton class too, although with a live recital on my plate at the same time I really couldn't do much more than listen to the lectures and fiddle just a bit with the assignments. Can always do it again later. You really hang with it on 500 Miles...just like a pro...and I like your choices. Nice work.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2285196 - 06/03/14 02:00 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]

Listened to each of these, enjoyed them all smile

I find the variety of people playing different pieces at different levels rather inspiring.

Edited by UKIkarus (06/03/14 02:01 PM)

#2285351 - 06/03/14 08:34 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Gaffster - That is great that you are getting the extended version of LOTR on Blu-ray as I am sure both the sound and the picture quality is top notch!. There is so much great music in those movies. This was the 7:th cover piece I play from that soundtrack!

UKikarus - I hope you get your inspiration back soon. It so much fun to play the piano! It would be great if you could share something with us here. Your Yamaha MOX8 synthezizer/workstation is such a great instrument!

#2285448 - 06/04/14 12:26 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Amaruk, very listenable, well played, especially the left hand work. You certainly know how to arrange a song. Neat video, too.

Mike, beautiful piece, isn't it? Takes me back to another world. Page turning - the universal pet peave of all pianists; it made you pause, but you resumed immediatley without coming unravelled. Well done.

JimF, when I started the course last year, I immediately had to bail out because I had to leave town unexpectedly for a month, but I signed up for the next session and was able to complete it. Good course, hope you can pick it up again.

Ed

#2285516 - 06/04/14 06:27 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]

Originally Posted By: Amaruk

UKikarus - I hope you get your inspiration back soon. It so much fun to play the piano! It would be great if you could share something with us here. Your Yamaha MOX8 synthezizer/workstation is such a great instrument!

The hardware is great, the player... not so much laugh I have barely even begun to scratch the surface of what it is capable of, one day perhaps.

#2285519 - 06/04/14 07:06 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
wuxia Offline

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria

Edited by wuxia (06/04/14 07:08 AM)

#2285941 - 06/05/14 04:45 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Enjoyed listening to you lot last night. Great stuff all round.

LadyPayne

A fine rendition, young lady! Plenty o` filling in and good octaves evident in your playing. You`re getting better rapidly. Seriously nice work here. And the `cello keeps wonderful; time with the piano!

Gaffoter

Your vocals deserve more pre eminence. Everything here has a modern ring to it and is a welcome addition to the PianoBar. Loved the multi-vocals and general feel of the song. Appreciate the time you must have put in here. Excellent.

Piano Primo

All the elements are in place here. A few hesitatios which time will iron out. I souldn like that every time I do a new song and it lasts ages before I sort it in my head. Onwards and upwards! Your progress will be rapid, I`m sure.

Riddler

Snappy stuff which I`d love to play. I find jazz hard, and this is so smooth. Great to listen to; great to drink to if you don`t mind the odd yeast infection . . .

Amaruk

Lovely rich sound and quality videos are a by word here. You never disappoint. That piano is unsurpassed. LX15?

mstachowsky

Well done! And now for the other 47 . . . It`s good to see new ones here. Bach is a great place to start and lends itself to other genres. I heard no mistakes, time will smooth out anything else. Grab yourself a Midi Usb cable; recording is so easy with those.

wuxia

A dark piece from Chopin with lighter interludes. as he does, Plenty of ability and confidence here. Great listening!

See y`all later . . .

""

#2285945 - 06/05/14 04:52 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

mstachowsky How nice of you to come out and post some Bach to make Pover feel welcome. You play well, tempo even throughout and the dynamics build nicely. Also, I thought it was cool how you turn on the tape recorder on your piano at the beginning of the video. I did a video like this once, but I just filmed a picture of my piano with an art piece I put together inpired by the music placed on the music rest, so people would have something to look at while the recorder played. What you did was better -- no pretence live performance art!

Amurak Another one of your magical mystery movie tours. Always a treat! But I also enjoy your Belle Epoch waltzes and Parisian street music. I wish you'd try making your own movie of that some time, street urchin outside Maxim's playing the accordian (or whatever its ancestor was in those days) while the wealthy and beautiful dance inside to those gorgeous waltzes you play. Or, come to think of it, I think Woody Allen has a scene like this in his movie, Midnight in Paris, you could use.

wuxia Crude is the opposite word that comes to mind listening to you play, more like refined and high culture, yet with so much emotion and power....I can only dream.

#2286275 - 06/05/14 06:24 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wuxia, beautiful. Very expressive, and you wowed me with those arpeggios. If that is "crude" to you , your standards are very high indeed. I am envious, bigtime!

Ed

#2286291 - 06/05/14 07:03 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
gaffster Offline

Yeah....I agree with Ed.

#2286569 - 06/06/14 12:07 PM #2 "Swiss Air" EH Himmel 6 5 14 frame rate 23 per sec 192 kb [Re: ladypayne]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Hi all, I apologize for no feedback , I am not really having a chance to view other vids.
It's been hectic and snafu-frazzle filled for me , with piano as an escape from it and chaos.
That being explained ,
-I redid this piece with strings and a little more practice;
the use of the pedal was essential because the strings just seemed to run the melody phrases together without it's use.
I also changed the frame rate because it seems out of sync after uploading to vimeo at 30 fps.
Any feedback welcome

#2 "Swiss Air" EH Himmel 6 5 14 frame rate 23 per sec 192 kbs from Piano Primo 1 on Vimeo.

#2286621 - 06/06/14 02:22 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
Here is Stölzel's Bourree in G minor. https://soundcloud.com/8octaves/bourree-in-g-minor-c3x

Orginally this was know as JS Bach's work, but the work was taken by Bach from his friend Stölzel and Bach wrote another movement at the end, and put it in his notebook, so it became known as Bach. Later historians figured out this portion belongs to Heinrich Stölzel.

Music from RCM Level 5 List A. Recorded on Yamaha C3X using Blue Yeti Pro to Audacity. Thanks for listening!

#2286957 - 06/07/14 12:11 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
beechcraft409 Offline

Wasn't planning to post here, I made this for other reasons. But I figured I might as well share here, too.

#2287336 - 06/08/14 12:48 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Piano Primo - This is really a lovely piece. I can almost feel the intoxication of the rarified air and breathless vistas. You must be on the right track.

8 Octaves - Thanks for helping to prove my point about Bach. You do him justice with your careful attention to articulation and dynamics. I enjoy your playing. Cat Stevens was terrific.

Beachcraft - a fittingly lovely tribute to your beautiful cousin. I lost my mom last year and still think about her every day and continue to find solace in my music. I hope you do too.

Edited by Starr Keys (06/08/14 12:57 PM)

#2287662 - 06/09/14 10:57 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

8 Octaves, that was exquisite! Bach certainly had good taste; I read somewhere that he often plagiarized from himself! A charming piece, well executed!

Nick, nicely done, a touching piece. Would that we all could be remembered so lovingly!

Ed

#2288305 - 06/10/14 11:25 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
Thank for the great music. Its nice to meet old and new friends here. I hope to submit Weiyan's cover of ladypayne's arrangement soon. Not sure If I am capable to play it.

#2288656 - 06/11/14 07:12 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome back to the piano bars Weiyan! I am looking forward to hear you play again as it has been a while since I last heard you play your Bach pieces.

Mstachowsky - A true classic! Very well played! Too bad you didn’t capture the video while you were playing.

Wuxia - There is nothing crude about that performance or recording….! It was fantastic as a matter of fact!! I am listening to it for a second time already…You really play with a lot of emotions and it is a joy to listen to your playing. I absolutely loved it!! Thanks for sharing!

Piano Primo - That was great playing! I am not sure I understand your issue with the sync and the frame rate in your video. But I am glad you figured out a way around the problem you faced. Thanks for sharing!

8 Octaves - What a treat! You play very well! Your piano sounds wonderful too! Thanks for explaining the story behind this piece too.

Beechcraft - What an emotional performance and video you have put together. I am sure your beloved cousin can hear it from where she is. You play really well and your grand piano sounds great!

#2288921 - 06/12/14 02:21 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
I've been absent for a while. Waaay too busy. This one is Lonely Woman by Horace Silver.

Giving the Soundcloud embedding a try...

If this doesn't work, then the usual Box link....

Lonely Woman

Edited by kenjazz (06/12/14 02:22 PM)

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#2288947 - 06/12/14 03:39 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

KenJazz Playing like yours is how smooth jazz got it's name! Ken, you sound so professional. I know we've been playing for about the same amount of time and you are truly an inspiration to me.

Here is my arrangement of an old standard. It is dedicated to another member who has been an inspiration to me.I have been working on several songs at the same time, and I wasn't planning on recording this one until the recital in August, as there's still a lot to do on it, especially on the vocal. But Elssa and I had been commiserating recently over our losses of family members we loved and discussing the old songs which remind us of times when we were happy together. Since she's sent so much cheer our way for so long, I thought it worth a try to send some hers.

Edited by Starr Keys (06/12/14 06:06 PM)

#2289075 - 06/12/14 08:36 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ken - That was lovely! Great playing as always! You never disappoint! Is that your own arrangement by the way? It is always such a treat to listen to your multitrack pieces. I think it as a nice dimension to your jazz music. Thanks for sharing!

Starr Keys - What an up-beat piece! We have come to expect great playing and singing from you and this was no exception. Do you play and sing at the same time or do you record the tracks separately? Great video too! It is as colorful as your playing and singing!

#2289097 - 06/12/14 10:10 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Starr Keys - What an up-beat piece! We have come to expect great playing and singing from you and this was no exception. Do you play and sing at the same time or do you record the tracks separately? Great video too! It is as colorful as your playing and singing!

Thanks, Amaruk. I think this might be my favorite comment ever!

I played and sung at the same time. I edited a 1.3 second blooper during the first part of my piano solo after I finished recording, but what you heard was recorded straight through in its entirety. I could play it better if I wasn't singing and I could sing better if I wasn't playing (I thought about auotuning my voice for Elssa's sake, but I was afraid I'd get to liking it too much). I have recorded my voice over my piano recording once or twice, but what's the point when my goals is to learn to accompany myself for live performance.

#2289238 - 06/13/14 06:45 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
kenjazz Offline

Ken - That was lovely! Great playing as always! You never disappoint! Is that your own arrangement by the way?

Thanks Amaruk and Starr Keys!. I neglected to include the link to the blog post.

Lonely Woman blog post

I'm trying to lift the arrangement from a local San Francisco pianist named Roy Brown, that I heard in a small jazz club when I was there in 2009.

Schimmel 120J

#2289269 - 06/13/14 09:13 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ken, wow, that was magnificent. I'm feeling her pain, really. So bluesey, but without the cliches. You really brought out the beautiful harmonies so well. I'm putting this song on my list of stuff to learn (long list), but I will have to transpose it to a more civilized key, I'm sure. Love it at this tempo. I still remember hearing Silver at Newport, 1958; it was a real thrill for me.

BTW, the Soundcloud embedding worked fine, as long as you don't mind the top of your head being cut off! smile

Starr Keys, that was easy on the ears, indeed. You have a very appealing voice. BTW, I recognized a lot of the graphics as I watched the video - a nice tribute to Elssa!

Ed

#2289336 - 06/13/14 01:02 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Starr Keys]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Thank you so much, Starr Keys (Denise)..I really appreciate it. You really bring out the heart and soul of these great classics/standards with your lovely singing and stylish skillful playing, as always! You and the music have been a good friend and help keep me going. smile

P.S. Loved your improv/walking bass. thumb

Edited by Elssa (06/13/14 01:05 PM)

#2289343 - 06/13/14 01:32 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
kenjazz Offline

Originally Posted By: Riddler
Ken, wow, that was magnificent. I'm feeling her pain, really. So bluesey, but without the cliches. You really brought out the beautiful harmonies so well. I'm putting this song on my list of stuff to learn (long list), but I will have to transpose it to a more civilized key, I'm sure. Love it at this tempo. I still remember hearing Silver at Newport, 1958; it was a real thrill for me.

BTW, the Soundcloud embedding worked fine, as long as you don't mind the top of your head being cut off! smile

Ed

Thank you Ed! Yeah, it is in Ebm which is a lot of flats, but that is better than a lot of sharps IMO smile I can't believe that you got to see him at the Newport festival back in '58. That must have been such a treat. Did he play this song then?

I have a recorded rendition of 500 Miles High from the Gary Burton class last year too. I'm glad that I didn't post it! Yours sounds so much better, particularly what you did with the head. I like how you weaved those full arpeggios in there, even at that speed. Mine is much more sparse for sure. It sounds great.

Starr Keys - Nice job with the walking bass, then switching comping styles. There was so much variation in there for just piano and vocals. I love that you did a full length solo interlude too. That was fun to listen to.

Amaruk - The Eagles package was powerful! solo-ized arrangement, patented video technique, and rock-solid performance. So much multi-media fun to take in. Thanks

LadyPayne - Boy, your chops are just growing by leaps and bounds. So This Is Love was flowing really effortlessly and tastefully.

Gaffster - Very nice sound on the vocals, composition and arrangement. In the final mix, I would mix the vocal up quite a bit more prominently though.

Wuxia - Such beautifully expressive arpeggios. If I could do that with jazz, it would open up a whole new world of playing. Sigh.

Mstachowsky - I love that. A video of a recording! The nice even flow was well rehearsed and sounded great. Keep it going!

Beechcraft - To me, musical tributes are the best kind. They bring forth the most memories and emotions, and stay with us the longest. Yours was lovely.

8 Octaves - Beautiful execution on the Bach, sweet sounding piano, and a history lesson to boot. Excellent.

Piano Primo - Your flowing sound seems to become more and more natural each time you post something. Swiss Air sounded very nice. Keep up the good work.

Schimmel 120J

#2289452 - 06/13/14 08:52 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you all for your kind words about my performance of The Eagles.

For those of you who are interested, I just created a pdf file with my arrangement and it is available here: https://app.box.com/s/6vnj8ix7l5dxfp0nhap5

#2289474 - 06/13/14 10:05 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kenjazz
.. I can't believe that you got to see him at the Newport festival back in '58. That must have been such a treat. Did he play this song then?

I know he played Senor Blues, but I don't know what other songs he did.

Originally Posted By: kenjazz

I have a recorded rendition of 500 Miles High from the Gary Burton class last year too. I'm glad that I didn't post it! Yours sounds so much better, particularly what you did with the head. I like how you weaved those full arpeggios in there, even at that speed. Mine is much more sparse for sure. It sounds great.

Tks. Actually, I did not like the version I submitted for the course. I thought the song was kinda fascinating because a lot of the important notes (the held notes) turn out to be top notes of big upper structure type chords, which change in unexpected ways. (It called up an image buried in my psyche of a giant striding across the globe, stepping from mountaintop to mountaintop. A Nietzsche metaphor, I think.) I thought it was clever to be able to write a singable tune that way. If you play the head in the typical way with single note melody and left hand rootless voicings, as I did during the course, that cleverness does not come across. So recently I decided to try to find a way to work all those notes in under the melody, and finally came up with these arpeggios. Fun puzzle to work on, for me.

Ed

#2289518 - 06/14/14 02:48 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Riddler
Starr Keys, that was easy on the ears, indeed. You have a very appealing voice. BTW, I recognized a lot of the graphics as I watched the video - a nice tribute to Elssa!

Thanks Ed. My husband was less enthusiastic about the graphics on this video than any of my others, and when I probed him for the reason, it turned out it was because he'd never seen Elssa' video song graphics nor her PianoWorld posts of Eddy Duchin memorobelia and the crazy organ lady/cartoons, so none of it made sense in the context of the song. I probably should have explained what this was all about when I posted the song. I also appreciate the kind words about the vocal. I know it could be a lot better, but it's good to know it at least didn't cause you dis-ease.:)

Originally Posted By: Elssa
Thank you so much, Starr Keys I really appreciate it. You really bring out the heart and soul of these great classics/standards with your lovely singing and stylish skillful playing, as always! You and the music have been a good friend and help keep me going. P.S. Loved your improv/walking bass.

Well, this is a first for me. It's the first time I am immune to anyone else's indifference or criticism now that I've heard this from you. And you could have taken the words right out of my mouth as to how I feel about your latest submissions. If there is any truth in this it has to be that I absorbed it from you by osmosis. And I think I may have picked up more then one tip on "improvising a walking bass" from you on your video tutorial Techniques II.:)

Originally Posted By: KenJazz
Starr Keys - Nice job with the walking bass, then switching comping styles. There was so much variation in there for just piano and vocals. I love that you did a full length solo interlude too. That was fun to listen to.

Wow, Ken! For you to take the trouble to go into this much detail about my performance. It makes me feel taken seriously as a beginning Jazz stylist, which is another first for me. Thank you.

#2289568 - 06/14/14 10:00 AM Re: #2 "Swiss Air" EH Himmel 6 5 14 frame rate 23 per sec 192 kb [Re: piano_primo_1]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Piano Primo 1

Liked the string addition. Have you thought about adding strings as a separate entity? You have more flexibility then. Nice work, man!

""

#2289571 - 06/14/14 10:05 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: 8 Octaves]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

8 Octaves

Lovely and lively! Enjoyed that effervescent piece on your piano. This sounded unusual for an acoustic . . . totally in tune, no resonances flying all over the place; clear as a bell . . .most unusual! grin

""

#2289577 - 06/14/14 10:10 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: beechcraft409]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

beechcraft409

A framework of chords and some fitting melody. This is pleasant and befits the modern approach which I like to use myself. Hope to hear more from you.

""

#2289578 - 06/14/14 10:19 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

kenjazz

A lonely woman - Yes, you can picture some lass sitting by herself on a bar stool hoping for some company. Maybe not the best picture but you paint it well. And that bass player . . . I need him for some o` my stuff . . . aye, and the drummer. Come to think of it, you can do the piano bit and I`ll stand next to the lonely woman . .

""

#2289581 - 06/14/14 10:26 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Starr Keys]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Starr Keys

Straight from an ole Hollywood score. Sounded right, and your bit in the middle was excellent. So sorry to hear of your losses (you and Elssa) I guess this is an age thing and I`m not getting younger. I notice this old fella staring at me in the mirror . . .and wonder what Dad`s doin` here . . . . grin

""

#2289903 - 06/15/14 01:08 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
Thought I'd go ahead and start the Piano bar this month smile
I did my own arrangement of This is Love from Disney's Cinderella. I also have written out the sheet music for this one so if you would like it, send me a pm with your email smile

So This is Love (Piano Only)
https://app.box.com/s/0nxnqxyhwl02rbj1otfr

So This is Love (with Cello, used my music program for this)
https://app.box.com/s/bwpxfc1bt7xiq62k314p

Wow, that was really wonderful, LadyPayne. I haven't played that one but am going to give it a go now. smile

Still catching up with all the great recordings here in the Bar..sorry, been very busy with work lately.

Here's another Disney tune, my own arrangement as well:

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

Edited by Elssa (06/15/14 01:20 AM)

#2289925 - 06/15/14 02:01 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
8 Octaves Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws
This sounded unusual for an acoustic . . . totally in tune, no resonances flying all over the place; clear as a bell . . .most unusual! grin

Hmm, do you like it? It's the new Yamaha CX series sound. I do keep it in primo condition. I think somebody at the last ABF Recital thought it was a digital. Too funny. Now, the condition of my car, not so great....

#2289976 - 06/15/14 04:45 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: 8 Octaves]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

" I think somebody at the last ABF Recital thought it was a digital. Too funny. Now, the condition of my car, not so great...."

Hope it wasn`t me! But I have this sneaking feeling it might`ve been . . .

It did sound good. I had an upright straight strung piano when I was a kid which also was very clear and loud. My granddad played his First World War marches on it, including some he`d wrote himself. My uncle played his ragtime stuff (always in "g") on it . . . Dad complained about the racket, it was that loud. But he bought it in the first place . . .

""

#2290138 - 06/15/14 04:34 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Here`s my contribution . . .this multitrack stuff`s getting on me nerves. It`ll be piano only from now . . . uploading to Youtube is so tedious. So I went elsewhere . . hope this works!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zjf6s_mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm_music

Edited by peterws (06/15/14 04:44 PM)

""

#2290189 - 06/15/14 06:52 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ElssaThis was the first movie my mom and I ever saw together, so you can imagine how magical it was for me. The sights and sounds of the clip you posted are engraved indellibly on my brain.... I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one can play a Disney song for me as beautifully as you do, although Lady Payne is coming in a close second!

PeterswThe perfect antidote to my and Elssa's "Hollywood musical" optimism before things become a bit too saccharine. Don't know if it was deliberate on your part, but that elevator was definitely going down. smile Very nice melody. I liked the unresolving surprise of some of its cadences. But then you're all over the map with music, and its always fun to discover where you're going to go next. Thanks for the cool ride.

#2290193 - 06/15/14 07:14 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Just a person listening. Want to encourage you all. Nice entertainment from everyone.

#2290202 - 06/15/14 07:38 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here`s my contribution

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......thats the sound of listening to something very satisfying, excellent work.

#2290307 - 06/16/14 03:26 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
8 Octaves Offline

Did you get all those instruments from your DGX? Very fun. Did you play them all at the same time somehow or all separately? Very nice.

#2290314 - 06/16/14 04:03 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: 8 Octaves]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 8 Octaves
Did you get all those instruments from your DGX? Very fun. Did you play them all at the same time somehow or all separately? Very nice.

All separate. Different mistakes in each one. Couldn`t use the drums even though I played to a metronome; the drums are rigid whilst my playing is not!

""

#2291027 - 06/17/14 01:14 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Starr Keys]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
ElssaThis was the first movie my mom and I ever saw together, so you can imagine how magical it was for me. The sights and sounds of the clip you posted are engraved indellibly on my brain.... I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one can play a Disney song for me as beautifully as you do, although Lady Payne is coming in a close second!

Starr Keys: Thanks so much for your kind words.. I'm glad it brought back fond memories for you. smile I had fun playing the "cross-hands technique" (a la Eddy Duchin) with it.

#2291271 - 06/17/14 07:55 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Eddy Duchin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Duchin

"By no means was Duchin a perfect pianist, but he was easy to listen to without being rote or entirely predictable. He was a pleasing stage presence whose favourite technique was to play his piano cross-handed, using only one finger on the lower hand, and he was respectful to his audiences and to his classical influences."

I play/teach my cross-hands style in the exact same way. smile

#2292060 - 06/19/14 11:49 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Starr Keys

Straight from an ole Hollywood score. Sounded right, and your bit in the middle was excellent. So sorry to hear of your losses (you and Elssa) I guess this is an age thing and I`m not getting younger. I notice this old fella staring at me in the mirror . . .and wonder what Dad`s doin` here . . . . grin

Peter, thank you for your kind words. Didn't mean to ignore this. Just waiting for more people to post songs and responses and forgot. The Bar used to be a lot busier (checked and last month's pickings were also pretty slim.) Where is everybody?

#2292120 - 06/19/14 01:35 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Starr Keys]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Seems to me there was always lots going on at the piano bar. It`s fun, and there were also themed recitals. There`s still the quarterly recitals though. . . maybe we`re all burnt out!

""

#2292161 - 06/19/14 02:38 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: StarrKeys
(checked and last month's pickings were also pretty slim.) Where is everybody?
Seems to me there was always lots going on at the piano bar. It`s fun, and there were also themed recitals. There`s still the quarterly recitals though. . . maybe we`re all burnt out!

Oops! I better clarify. I didn't mean the quality of the recordings posted was slim, just the quantity. I remember when I could open 7 pages in this thread by this late in the month, and now we're only just starting a third page, and last month there were only 2 pages of posts for the entire month.

Edited by Starr Keys (06/19/14 03:16 PM)

#2292280 - 06/19/14 06:22 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Starr Keys]
SunnyFriday Offline

Ladypayne: Terrific playing. So This is Love reminds me of a movie scene of the heroine playing the piano in her parlor, late 19th century. I loved it.

Gaffster: I really enjoyed Endless. You're very talented.

piano primo 1:Nice job on Swiss Air. You seem comfortable at the piano.

Riddler: You're a very good arranger. That was a terrific version of Chick Corea's tune. Excellent playing.

Amaruk: Another excellent arranger. Wonderful playing and your video was really cool.

mstachowsky: I never get tired of hearing this. Thanks for playing it. Nice job. You're a good sight reader

wuxia: Simply gorgeous. That's the first time I've heard that particular Nocturne. Thank you for sharing it with us.

8 Octaves: Wonderful! Such beautiful phrasing and articulation.

beechcraft409: Very nice tribute to your cousin. Thank you for sharing that.

kenjazz: I read in this morning's paper that Mr. Silver died yesterday. And you give us this wonderful arrangement of Lonely Woman. Very nice kenjazz. (That's a good looking jazz box on the wall).

Starr Keys: Wow. Playing and singing at the same time, and doing both so well. I don't know how you do it. That's a great arrangement also. And nice video!

Elssa: Your arrangments and playing are so nice. Always great to hear you. And later: there probably aren't too many members who saw the Eddy Duchin Story with Kim Novak, Tyrone Power and Carmen Cavallaro's piano work, but I remember it like it was yesterday. No I take that back. I have no idea what happened yesterday.

peterws: I second everything Starr Keys said. That was great peterws. And very creative.

Here's my first contribution to the Piano Bar. This piece was written by forum member Tim Treford. It's easy to play, and I like it a lot. Thanks for composing it Tim!

Mayflower

#2292288 - 06/19/14 06:32 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: SunnyFriday]
8 Octaves Offline

Originally Posted By: SunnyFriday
8 Octaves: Wonderful! Such beautiful phrasing and articulation.

Thanks; you're overly generous. blush

#2292391 - 06/20/14 12:19 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: SunnyFriday]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Very nice recording, SunnyFriday. smile

Yes, Carmen Cavallaro really captured Eddy Duchin's style so well in the movie.

Here's my own arrangement:

#2292506 - 06/20/14 10:34 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
mstachowsky Offline

Thanks for the replies everyone! I figure that replying to individuals is going to clog the thread, so I'll just stick this out to everyone who has (and will) reply, thanks!

For next month I'm working on two pieces and I'm not sure which one to go with. One is a left-hand only study (I really enjoy left-hand only playing for some reason), and the other is "Jane's Song" by Christopher Norton (just generally a nice piece of music). What are peoples' thoughts? Go for the technically more challenging one or the nicer sounding? I'm only going to have time to work on one or the other to a reasonable standard...

#2292545 - 06/20/14 12:43 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Starrkeys
...waiting for more people to post songs and responses and forgot. The Bar used to be a lot busier (checked and last month's pickings were also pretty slim.) Where is everybody

Ask and you shall receive smile

SunnyFriday Heard this this morning and you certainly live up to your name! Love the combination of strong rhythm and New-Age-relaxed in this piece. Very nice arrangement. You play very well.

Elssa You will never starve. Even when the economy is bad for musicians, any restaurant would be happy to have you play for your supper. The one mistake I made in my video tribute to you is not including a picture of Carmen Calvalero at the piano, but chosing to use a picture of the handsome Tyrone Power pretending to play like him instead.

Edited by Starr Keys (06/20/14 12:48 PM)

#2293144 - 06/21/14 07:33 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Peter, geez, yer a whole band! Very listenable, very well put together, you are a really good orchestrator! Not a song I've heard before but I enjoyed it. BTW, I have a similar problem - the metronome and the score are rigid whilst my playing is flexible and free!

SunnyFriday, very tuneful and easy to listen to, well done.

Elssa, loved that version of Manhattan, it's always been a fav of mine. Like those runs and ending, as always. But I'm just wondering - how did you ever get your cat to chime in on cue like that?

Ed

#2293261 - 06/22/14 01:41 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Starr Keys]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
[quote: Starrkeys]

Elssa You will never starve. Even when the economy is bad for musicians, any restaurant would be happy to have you play for your supper.

Well, I've been offered free drinks for playing a tune at places but never a full dinner.. Hanging out in the wrong places, I guess. hah smile

Thanks, Riddler. I loved your recording, 500 Miles High, great smooth jazz sound and improv. smile

Gwen usually played a few ending keyboard notes to my songs but guess she just decided to "sing out" this time, with the usual purrfect timing, of course. wink =^o^=

Edited by Elssa (06/22/14 01:43 AM)

#2293269 - 06/22/14 02:08 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Carmen Cavallaro

MANHATTAN (Rodgers and Hart)

#2293310 - 06/22/14 06:56 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
kenjazz Offline

Peter - ouch! You recorded each voice separately. I go nuts trying to get two instruments to line up when I'm doing the actual playing. It's no wonder that you are resolving to go back to piano-only mode. It sounded so good though, that after a while you will look back at your accomplishment and decide to go for it again!

SunnyFriday - Thank you. It was a sad occasion that Horace Silver died this week. I heard several other arrangements of Lonely Woman that I had never heard on the radio, as stations were emphasizing their Horace Silver catalogs. Sadly, mine was not the best of the ones I heard this week :-). That jazz box on the wall is a D'Angelico New Yorker, that I use when recording the combination piano/guitar tunes.

Elssa - I was humming your song "I'll Take Manhattan" in my head this week. I was in NYC, staying right by the 911 memorial. My room had a view of the Esplanade and the Statue of Liberty was down there to the south. I could hear your smooth arpeggios forming the melody, and then your cat providing the finishing touches. Nice job.

Schimmel 120J

#2293695 - 06/23/14 02:40 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks/meow, KenJazz smile "Lonely Woman" was dreamy/mesmerizing, interesting harmony as well.

Edited by Elssa (06/23/14 02:41 AM)

#2295236 - 06/26/14 09:19 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
I just listened to all the recordings.
Very good job everyone, thanks for sharing smile

#2295318 - 06/26/14 01:25 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Elssa You swung wi that one, lass; I was also trying to watch that little tennis match on your screen to the left there . . . rather hypnotic!

""

#2296406 - 06/29/14 02:12 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Elssa You swung wi that one, lass; I was also trying to watch that little tennis match on your screen to the left there . . . rather hypnotic!

PeterWs: Thanks so much smile I really enjoyed your recording and playing. You're a real wiz with your multitracking and creative arrangements. thumb

Yes, fun to add in the rhythm unit now and then.. the bouncing light helps keep me on track. lol

Here's a little something with a Latin/Bossa Nova rhythm:

SO NICE/SUMMER SAMBA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hammond Repair?
by tjbron
24 minutes 2 seconds ago
Sight-reading books or resources for a beginner?
by Giancarlo Robles
Today at 10:52 AM
Typical % markup on price dealer pays for a piano
by pianoloverus
Today at 10:24 AM
calling all users of Ivory II American D
by dire tonic
Today at 08:29 AM
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
Today at 06:07 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (Almaviva, 36251, anamnesis, ajames, AndresD, 38 invisible), 1715 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76613 Members
42 Forums
158413 Topics
2326356 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission