Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#2284854 - 06/02/14 08:06 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Not for me!!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2284903 - 06/02/14 09:58 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

George's posts look strange on Chrome.

#2284990 - 06/03/14 01:59 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
@Whizbang, not for me.

#2285022 - 06/03/14 05:26 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I have the same problem as Wouter. It only happens with George . . . .:)

""

#2285184 - 06/03/14 01:13 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I just logged in again. Still looks wrong

I have firefox 27 (about a year old I guess?) and safari

I updated safari 2 days ago and there the posts now look fine. [edit: but only if I don't log in, it breaks after I log in].

I will check my 'show user avatars' option.

Edited by wouter79 (06/03/14 01:29 PM)

#2285188 - 06/03/14 01:28 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Confirmed, the problem occurs when you turn off user avatars. Who should be notified to fix this?

#2285278 - 06/03/14 05:05 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: wouter79]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: wouter79
Confirmed, the problem occurs when you turn off user avatars. Who should be notified to fix this?

I will PM Mr. Pianoworld and link to this thread.

#2285300 - 06/03/14 06:05 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Turning on people's avatars fixed the problem for me.

#2287448 - 06/08/14 06:27 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH

05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei". Very beautifully played. I have a tender place in my heart for "Strange Lands and People", since that was one of the first ones I learned when I started lessons. I remember emphasizing the LH a bit more in the B section, but I like your interpretation too, especially the dynamic variations and excellent rubato (in both pieces).

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv I enjoyed listening to your improv.

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues I can see why you like this piece. You've done nice work with it -- slow and pleasing.

08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars I like the name of this piece! The mood is very mysterious, reflecting the questions that arise from the title.

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement You've really got the classical feeling going here! I like the contrast between the light and darker phrases. Very nice!

10. CarlosCC - Quietness Oh Carlos, what a touching story. I was wondering why we were going to hear a composition by you. I'm sure your mom is still listening and admiring.

#2288752 - 06/12/14 12:29 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Valencia Offline

I’m sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this thread. Thank you everyone for listening to my recital submission. I’m happy you enjoyed the Beethoven 109 theme. Like others here, I too learned of this piece in the Johnathan Biss course! Thank you to MaryBee, 8 Octaves , Ataru74, CarlosCC, Torquenale, jotour, jazzwee, gingko2, SwissMS, Sam S, Shirokiro, Riddler, wimpiano, peterws, earlofmar, Andy Platt, AZ_Astro, TheodorN for your specific comments. You are all so generous and encouraging!

It was such a pleasure to listen to everyone’s submissions. Thank you all for sharing your playing.

#2288881 - 06/12/14 11:37 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
This was a very nice recital. Thanks to everyone who entered, it made for a lot of enjoyable listening.

#2290294 - 06/16/14 02:33 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I have been extremely busy with non-music stuff lately. Therefore I haven't even listened to and given comments to the later entries. Hopefully I'll be able to do it this week.

#2290908 - 06/17/14 08:55 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano

Very beautiful music! Playing with other musicians represents a special challenge. Ability to listen and adapt to the other players is crucial. You both do this very well. Fine performance!

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro

Telemann wrote an enormous amount of music, and it’s a pity that it isn’t played so much. You have done a great job with the embellishents and phrasing is good. Nice job!

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114

You manage very well to play smoothly without using the sustain pedal. Very good phrasing and generally nice performance.

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session

Good rhythmic drive. Very pleasant to listen to your playing.

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie

Fun piece! Your use of different voices works well in this case. Well played!

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair

Fine arrangement of this popular song! Fine playing with great contrast between the flowing part and the more dramatic segments! I enjoyed listening.

38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino)

Very expressive playing! Great that you decided to play a piece by Khatchaturian. I enjoyed listening.

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue

This fugue is a real finger-breaker, but you mage to play it very well. I’m highly impressed.

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose

You play this beautiful piece with great feeling and expressivity. Thanks for sharing!

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56

You manage to give these pieces the character I believe was the intention of the composer. The contrast you give between the movements makes the music interesting to listen to. Fine performance!

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses)

Have to admit I never heard this piece before. Great music played at professional level!

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures

Very pleasant music to listen to! You show great musicality through your composing and performance.

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor

I’m impressed that you are able to play this music after less than one year’s experience. Nice that you picked a Telemann piece. Thanks for sharing.

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60)

Very entertaining music! You play with humor and elegance: Fine performance!

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14

Obviously “local” music to you. Nice and enjoyable to listen to it.

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell

I love the Scottish character of this music. Never watched the TV documentary, but I found the song very ear-catching. Nice performance!

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1

You really got this awkward little piece under your fingers. Particularly enjoyed your rubato and the light touch.

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2

I*m impressed that you managed to play these two pieces so convincingly. Particularly the first one is difficult to shape well, but you really did it well. Fine performance!

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!!

Beautiful music! You make your instrument sing and I hear no hint of problems with striking the keys at the same time. Excellent performance!

#2297013 - 06/30/14 04:21 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
torquenale Offline

A bit late, here is my last batch! Thanks again to everybody who organized the recital or took part in it!

10. CarlosCC - Quietness
Thanks for sharing this sad and intimate piece, and the moving story behind it.

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement
Nice piece Doris, with a misleading name because "sonatina" looks something easy but is definitely not, with fast runs and a lot of classical era tricks. You do master it well, brava! Oh, and I love your Bechstein!

08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars
Good choice of piece; maybe technically it can be considered a sort of etude but it's really charming. Well done!

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues
I like Mier's pieces, also this blues is fascinating and you play it well.

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv
I'll never never be able to turn the recorder on and improvise something. Sort of magic, as I always say.
Very entertaining, my compliments!

05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei".
I love listening to Schumann's pieces but I find them really hard to play, and I only tried several from the Album for the Young.
You play these piece well, and you're brave because Traumerei is so well known that everybody already knows how it should sound! Bravo!

04. Anne H - Discovery At Night
Nice and atmospheric piece, like it's usual for Einaudi, very well played. Well done!

03. ShiroKuro - Big My Secret
I love this piece, and your playing is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it so much!

02. Whizbang (Chris) - Milonga del Angel
I listened a bit to Piazzolla compositions when I started a duet with my son with an easy arrangement of Libertango. They are really fascinating, and this arrangement of Milonga del Angel is great. I like the way you underline the different moods of the piece. Bravo!

01. dynamobt/Marilyn - Symphony No. 40 1st mvt
Great duet! And it shows you really had fun doing it, no matter imperfections. My compliments for something different!

#2297039 - 06/30/14 05:53 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: torquenale]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: torquenale
A bit late, here is my last batch! Thanks again to everybody who organized the recital or took part in it.
(...)

CarlosCC - Quietness
Thanks for sharing this sad and intimate piece, and the moving story behind it.

Another comment just before the EPP! Thanks!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2300514 - 07/10/14 12:23 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is ridiculously late, but I'm just now getting a chance to come back and listen to some more of the recordings.

11. Peyton - Escape Very, very cool. From the first time I heard a Philip Glass piece in one of the earlier recitals, I liked his music. This one is a perfect fit for your style of playing.

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2. With the first movement being so often played, it's a pleasure to hear the second movement. You give it a lighthearted feel, a nice change from the first.

13. Riddler (Ed) - Love Walked In What an interesting piece and cool chords.

14. George Schiro - Ambivalence Nice improvisation! I like that there are a couple different moods that it takes the listener through.

15. peterws/peter - Gymnopedies 2 & 3 or music to meditate to, maybe? They are almost hypnotic.

16. sinophilia (Diana) - In Church - Op. 39 no. 24 With all those block chords, I bet this would sound great on your acoustic.

17. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Torna A Surriento This melody sounds familiar. I wonder if there was a popular song that was based on this... oh, haha, I just looked it up -- "Come Back to Sorrento".

18. earlofmar - Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121 Bach is always a satisfying challenge. You've done well with this.

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta Cheryl, this is charming! I've tried to sight-read this a few times, but never learned it. Thank you for letting me hear how it should sound when played well.

20. Newbert - New York State of Mind I like how you've filled this out.

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts Great cover! And your piano sounds gorgeous.

23. N17 - Dance in G Congrats on recording for your first recital! Listening objectively to your own playing is always an eye-opener and a great tool for self-evaluation.

24. Mar_red - Love Story Cool intro. You've got a great technique with embellishing those chords.

25. joangolfing - Arietta You bring out the top voice very nicely in this piece.

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes I've been wondering about this song since you mentioned it in one of your posts. It's very sweet. My dad used to make us pancakes too, but on Saturday morning.

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame The somber mood is so appropriate with what you and your dad are facing. Stay strong.

28. ajames - Just a Day Away A great choice to perform for a PW recital! And a very nice, gentle performance too.

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose Love the jaunty touch you use on the refrain. Fun!

Maybe I'll be able to finish listening before the next recital opens. smile

#2300525 - 07/10/14 12:43 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Mary Bee, you rock.

Cathy

#2300549 - 07/10/14 02:15 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Thanks MaryBee! Glad you enjoyed the Fughetta!

#2302351 - 07/14/14 06:49 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Totally missed this recital. I am sure everyone played just fine. Looking forward to listening to some of these if not all.

I want to know when the next general recital is. I am working on a few pieces already but need the pressure of a recital to push me to get over the triggers of failure due to self-consciousness and the disability to perform 'publicly'. Got to keep pushing it to overcome it.

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2302352 - 07/14/14 06:54 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
August 15. You can submit starting on or about Aug 1, when a thread will be posted for submissions.

Cathy

#2302476 - 07/15/14 05:14 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Summer`s nearly over . . . . .get ready for Christmas!

""

#2302509 - 07/15/14 08:50 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: jotur
August 15. You can submit starting on or about Aug 1, when a thread will be posted for submissions.

So it's soon time to decide which piece to try to record...I have 4 options but they all need some more polishing...

#2302635 - 07/15/14 03:43 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei". Very beautifully played. I have a tender place in my heart for "Strange Lands and People", since that was one of the first ones I learned when I started lessons. I remember emphasizing the LH a bit more in the B section, but I like your interpretation too, especially the dynamic variations and excellent rubato (in both pieces).

Thanks MaryBee! The first one, that's amazing. I think I would pick a slower piece to start. A bit more LH in the B section, yes I should have thought of trying that too...

Originally Posted By: torquenale
05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei".
I love listening to Schumann's pieces but I find them really hard to play, and I only tried several from the Album for the Young.
You play these piece well, and you're brave because Traumerei is so well known that everybody already knows how it should sound! Bravo!

Yes they are not extremely easy but I had them in my fingers pretty quick. Träumerei is the harder one. Yes there are some very nice performances of this out there. I kept only a few, and I had a quite sharp idea about I want it. And in fact I like my version more now than the one out there that I liked most (sorry if that sounds arrogant blush)

#2304620 - 07/21/14 12:53 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466 This is so very gentle and beautiful. It's amazing how much expression you can put into a piece which on the surface seems to be somewhat less complex than others.

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano Oh Sam, that was wonderful! I love the sound of the clarinet. The music was beautiful, as well as the idea of playing a duet with your wife.

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro Nice job with this. My teacher says that the key to playing Bach is to get the fingering right. I wonder if this is also true of Telemann. If so, it sounds like your work on getting the fingering right has paid off.

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114 An oldie but goodie. smile I had the same issue with dependency on the pedal when I started playing Bach. It's worth putting in the effort to try to overcome that. Very nice!

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session Congratulations on participating in your first recital. Nice performance!

35. Ganddal - Gratulation Light and bouncy -- it sounds like a dance. I enjoyed hearing this new-to-me composer.

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie Interesting sound with the two different "instruments". Sounds like you're ready for the live recital. But now You have me curious as to what it will sound like on a regular piano.

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair Lovely and haunting, Monica. You have such an expressive technique -- put to great use here.

38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino) I really like this piece. You've done great with it.

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue so crisp and clean -- perfect for Bach. And only one take...wow!

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose Very sweet. I like that you keep from rushing, and especially holding onto that pause about halfway through.

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56 What a great project, Andy. You do a good job of bringing out the different characters of each dance. Memorizing these seems like it would be more difficult than some other styles of music, because you can't always anticipate what's coming up next. I've got a couple of Bartok pieces sitting on my piano waiting for me, most of them a bit weird and somewhat intimidating.

#2304630 - 07/21/14 01:24 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: MaryBee]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro Nice job with this. My teacher says that the key to playing Bach is to get the fingering right. I wonder if this is also true of Telemann. If so, it sounds like your work on getting the fingering right has paid off.

It definitely is true of Telemann as well. I still had to adjust my fingerings after 2 months with this piece and there was a lot of trial and error involved. That's why it's taken so long to learn it... And thanks smile

#2305103 - 07/21/14 10:10 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: wouter79]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wouter79

Thanks MaryBee! The first one, that's amazing. I think I would pick a slower piece to start. A bit more LH in the B section, yes I should have thought of trying that too...

You have to remember that I didn't start lessons as a beginner. I had been playing on my own for years. It was a piece that my teacher used to introduce me to some things I didn't know anything about (like voicing) and to teach the importance of some things that I knew about but had always ignored (like dynamics). smile

#2305165 - 07/22/14 01:08 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: MaryBee]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

It was a piece that my teacher used to introduce me to some things I didn't know anything about (like voicing) and to teach the importance of some things that I knew about but had always ignored (like dynamics). smile

Sing it! I -did- start as a kid, but I didn't listen. And I knew that dynamics and voicing were important, but I ignored them. Better late than never, eh?

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
10/25/14 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Who's Online
117 registered (0987654321, accordeur, Anne'sson, 36251, 28 invisible), 1473 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327543 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission