Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!
I have been trying to learn to play the piano (trying being the important word here) now for about six (6) years. I am now forcing my way through the Grade 2 book - yea I spent about 4 years in piano kindergarden. I started lessons in my late 40s and now in my early 50s I am still just plugging away. But, my extremely patient teacher is going to be moving on to a new job in September and I want to try an learn at least ONE song VERY WELL that will be a nice Thank You. And please, don't ask what song is my favourite, or hers, or who is my favourite composer. I don't know music that well to have a favourite. I am looking for a few suggestions and then, maybe, I can pick one out.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a piano song I can learn (frustrated grade 2 level) as a thank you for my first, and so far, my favourite, piano teacher?
As you can tell I am in my Bach phase (lol) surprised the third one is grade 2 although I have seen it graded higher. However the third one is my favourite and it's not really that difficult as it follows a bit of a pattern.
Bach Minuet in G, BWV Anh. 114 (C. Petzold) This minuet is meant to be played with the Minuet in Gm in ABA form (minuet in G – minuet in Gm – minuet in G).
Bach Prelude in C, BWV 924 A beautiful prelude based on broken triads, this is very easy (but not as effective) if you omit the several ornaments. These can added later on when the student has progressed enough.
Bach Prelude in C, BWV 846/I One of the few pieces in the notebook that is actually by Bach, this prelude is the first prelude in the WTC book I.
Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.
Earlofmar - thank you for those suggestions. I really like the third one as well (thank you YouTube) and I do think that it is within my wheelhouse.
Rerun - at this point (yea, 6 years in) my preferred piano music is "classical". I know that's a huge umbrella that covers a vast range of "types", but I don't know enough to break it down further. And even at that, there are lots of modern-ish songs that I also like (Let it Be (Beatles) / Imagine (Lennon) / Smile (Chaplin) / Gymnopedie (Satie) (bit of a stretch as modern)) but I don't think that these would really work well as a Thank You.
Loc: south florida
If you, or your teacher, prefer pieces featuring expressive playing you might have a look at Maurice Ravel's 1913 Prelude. A couple of tricky fingerings and some hand crossing, but nothing that difficult. Fun harmonies.
Oh, Level 2 is one of my favorite levels, so full of great music. There are so many great level 2 pieces I don't even know where to begin. Just a few of my favorites (meaning I still liked them after hearing them what 300 times? ha!).