Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
122 registered (36251, accordeur, Adypiano, 33 invisible), 1516 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2287042 - 06/07/14 04:10 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
I was going to suggest Bach-Busoni Chorale Preludes and a short work by Chopin/Scriabin.

BTW if you felt like making your whole thing a set of Chorale Preludes...

If you want to know more specifically, I was going to play the A minor and E minor chorale preludes, not leaving much time for another.

Polyphonist

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2287056 - 06/07/14 04:44 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Pover Offline

Loc: Jordan
To be honest I was thinking of playing the Bach french suite no.4 in Eb, which will (hopefully) be ready by the end of July. Right now, I've finished the Allemande and Gavotte, and halfway through everything else except the courante (haven't touched that one yet). I presume that the sarabande will be done in a couple of days, giving me ample time to wrap up the rest by the end of july.

Oh! Also by then I'll probably have Debussy's First arabesque at a decent level.

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18
Schumann Blumstucke op. 19
Chopin nocturne op. 48 no. 2

#2287061 - 06/07/14 04:54 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Damon
Originally Posted By: Kreisler
I think it's an interesting idea and don't really understand all the critiques. If you don't want to participate, then don't participate. Geez...

I think it is probable that folks would like to participate but aren't comfortable not knowing how long they are going to have to prepare.

That was stated clearly in the inital post. You will have until Thursday, July 24.

That's a deadline, not preparation time. Unless you can decide right now, exactly what you will play, the preparation time shrinks. Not as clear as you suppose.

#2287067 - 06/07/14 05:52 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Damon]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I think it's an interesting idea and don't really understand all the critiques. If you don't want to participate, then don't participate. Geez...

I think it is probable that folks would like to participate but aren't comfortable not knowing how long they are going to have to prepare.

That was stated clearly in the inital post. You will have until Thursday, July 24.

That's a deadline, not preparation time. Unless you can decide right now, exactly what you will play...

The preparation time is from whenever the repertoire is decided to the deadline. If you are worried about the repertoire decision, or that the preparation time will not be sufficient, don't enter.

Polyphonist

#2287069 - 06/07/14 05:56 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
ec Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
As I'm "half-retiring" from my job at the end of June, and there seems to be room for one more, I'll climb on board. Repertoire will be all Chopin, chosen from or added to the list in my signature smile

Chopin - Nocturne, Op.62, No. 2
Mazurka, Op. 41, No. 1 (C# minor)
Etude, Op. 25, No. 9
Polonaise, Op. 40, No. 2, C minor

#2287086 - 06/07/14 07:29 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Kreisler]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

This is a forum - we comment on stuff.

#2287092 - 06/07/14 07:43 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
I think what's proposed is crystal clear and no more or less good than any other proposal, but then so is the English language to me and plenty of people can't read that; it's okay to be a tad skeptical or even downright sure that it won't work but, um, I see promise at least; if it doesn't work, we'll know in two months. If it does, then...well, it does smile See...if ec wants to play all Chopin, fine, but ec *may* suggest that s/he'd like to hear some Ravel, which very well may prompt, say, Tim to change his proposed pieces...um...like, certainly he's stated that he'll consider *which* WTC he'd play based on suggestion (I believe wink )...um...it's a nice idea. Perhaps a touch unclear to some but I'm *sure* with a little time it'll be crystalline. As for myself...I'd like to play the first contrapunctus from KDF, Stanchinsky's second mazurka (and maybe his variations...maybe...if I can get them good enough laugh ), Gibbons's pavan/pavane/paevan of Lord/Lorde Salisbury/Salysbree etc. The Allemande from his grounds and perhaps one of his French Courante's to make up the time, if it's necessary...but...um...I'm not locked into playing those pieces, I'd just like them smile
Xxx

#2287139 - 06/07/14 09:47 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

That's a deadline, not preparation time. Unless you can decide right now, exactly what you will play...

The preparation time is from whenever the repertoire is decided to the deadline. If you are worried about the repertoire decision, or that the preparation time will not be sufficient, don't enter.

I never intended to enter. I was just noting a possible reason others would be nervous to do so. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

#2287150 - 06/07/14 10:53 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: MikeN]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: MikeN
I think we'll probably end up thinking of sample rectal programs.(...)

I don't think I want to give or hear a sample of those!

#2287154 - 06/07/14 11:05 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: BruceD

once upon a time there was this old post...

#2287155 - 06/07/14 11:09 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Liszt was the inventor of the piano rectal.

Polyphonist

#2287156 - 06/07/14 11:09 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

Are you sure?

#2287157 - 06/07/14 11:11 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW

Are you sure?

Positive.

Polyphonist

#2287160 - 06/07/14 11:15 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
grin

#2287166 - 06/08/14 12:14 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Okay folks, we now have the list of performers:
Polyphonist
Tim Adrianson
Pover
doctor S
FSO
Vid
MikeN
ec

From the suggested list of pieces so far, what do you think about using counterpoint as a way to tie the recital together? Several people have suggested Bach and Bach derivatives. Tim, I don't know specific works by the composers you mentioned in detail but I wonder if one might be a good 20th-21st c. contrapuntal work?
And ec, Chopin is underrated as a master of counterpoint...

Part of why I thought of this recital idea was that I've noticed an interesting obsession with concert programming, choosing repertoire/order in this forum. I thought this would be a way to use it productively. It's OK if it isn't everyone's cup of tea. It would be nice if hecklers would at least keep their comments short so that those trying to plan don't have to scroll through pages of comments that are just anti-this-recital.
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2287170 - 06/08/14 12:23 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hreichgott
From the suggested list of pieces so far, what do you think about using counterpoint as a way to tie the recital together? Several people have suggested Bach and Bach derivatives. Tim, I don't know specific works by the composers you mentioned in detail but I wonder if one might be a good 20th-21st c. contrapuntal work?
And ec, Chopin is underrated as a master of counterpoint...

(Caution: Unorthodox idea ahead. Click at your own risk.)

Click to reveal..
We alternate Bach pieces with 19th + 20th century works.

Polyphonist

#2287177 - 06/08/14 12:53 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Mark_C]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: BruceD

once upon a time there was this old post...

Rotfl, what is it with me and the typos today. I swear I proofread before I post. Thanks for the reference Mark.

On other notes, I haven't any ideas of what to submit as I'm not learning anything that fits within the time limit. Yet, I want to learn something new for this. So whatever is needed to make the recital work better, let me know and I'll learn it.

Edited by MikeN (06/08/14 12:58 AM)

#2287212 - 06/08/14 03:19 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
doctor S Offline

Loc: Western PA
Have been (re)working the following, one (or more?) of which could be foisted on the world (wide web) in a month with a semblance of competency:

Chopin Etudes Op 10, No 1 Cmaj, 3 Emaj, 4 c#min, 5 Gbmaj, 8 Fmaj, 9 fmin, 12 cmin
Op 25, No 20 Dbmaj, No 24 cmin

Chopin Preludes Op 28, No 1 Cmaj, No 3 G maj, #10 c#min

Chopin Scherzo Op 39 No 3

Debussy Reflets dans L'eau

Grieg Lyric Piece Op 57, No 2 Gade

Rachmaninoff Preludes Op 23, No 2 Bbmaj, No 4 Dmaj

Scarlatti Sonatas A maj K38 L391, Dmaj K33 L424

Better to deepen some furrows dug 45 years ago, than try to plow concrete.

#2287347 - 06/08/14 01:37 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Heather, I've got two 21st century works that directly "fill the bill" for a contrapuntal "theme". One is entitled "13 Ways of Looking at the Goldberg", which is a composite of variations submitted by 13 different composers on the famous Goldberg aria. I'll choose 4 - 5 from that set, most likely Higdon, Foss, jazz pianist Fred Hersch, Bolcom, and maybe Fred Lerdahl. This was a project undertaken and sponsored by the Gilmore Keyboard Festival several years ago.

The other is another work of Hersch entitled "24 Variations on a Bach Chorale". I won't play all the variations -- just the ones that most directly fit the contrapuntal theme.

OK, my plans are set! Now I've got a lot of work to do!

#2287483 - 06/08/14 08:14 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Tim Adrianson]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Tim these sound like great ideas.
We do not know yet if everyone is on board with the contrapuntal theme though.

#2287501 - 06/08/14 09:15 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This sounds like a terrific idea but now that I've finally calmed down from the stress of having a deadline, I think I'd find another deadline about as enjoyable as piano rectal.

I look forward to the performances, though!
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2287527 - 06/08/14 10:03 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
doctor S Offline

Loc: Western PA
Am I getting this, the piece(s) must be contrapuntal? Does anything on my list above from 3 AM this morning qualify? 'Could possibly do the Bach-Petri chorale prelude transcription "I step Before Thy Throne, Lord" or the Bach-Petri "Sheep May Safely Graze" from the Birthday Contata, or the Bach-Petri "Three Minuets", which would be "new". If it must be Bach: Preludes and Fugues No. VIII F# Major and/or No. XV G Major, or the D Major Toccata are less new.

But I am getting old..."new" Bach might be harder than polishing a Chopin etude.

I like the idea of ALTERNATING BACH WITH 19th c. AND LATER PIECES, but I'm not enough of a musicologist to know whether any particular "modern" piece provides sufficient thematic veneration. Does it have to say "contrapuntal" in the title?

I can't drop out: you need a doctor for a proper piano rectal.

#2287531 - 06/08/14 10:16 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: doctor S]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: doctor S
I like the idea of ALTERNATING BACH WITH 19th c. AND LATER PIECES, but I'm not enough of a musicologist to know whether any particular "modern" piece provides sufficient thematic veneration. Does it have to say "contrapuntal" in the title?

No. I think I can be a good judge of that. The point is...which 19/20th century works to pick??? There are so many. It might be interesting to make the later works fugues or canons - Schumann, Reger, Shostakovich, etc. I'll be happy to contribute a Schumann fugue from Opus 72.

Polyphonist

#2287553 - 06/08/14 11:23 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: doctor S
Am I getting this, the piece(s) must be contrapuntal?....

Nobody ever said that. The proposal was contrapuntal pieces alternating with other pieces -- as you said later on in the post! smile

Well, I actually meant for the theme of the recital to be counterpoint, with examples from Bach and from the later periods.

Polyphonist

#2287556 - 06/08/14 11:34 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Online   content

Well, I actually meant for the theme of the recital to be counterpoint, with examples from Bach and from the later periods.

Yes -- I misunderstood (as I see from looking back).

#2287588 - 06/09/14 02:51 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Here's another, even more specialized idea - have a recital featuring only fugues and canons, alternating Bach with Romantic/contemporary composers (as before). Perhaps even feature some pieces from before Bach - Renaissance and Early Baroque stuff. We can call the recital "The Evolution of the Fugue." grin

Polyphonist

#2287632 - 06/09/14 09:00 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I like this idea too.

I do think that if we use some sort of a theme, it shouldn't be that every piece must fit the theme exactly (we've all been to concerts like that, it's like listening to an encyclopedia!) but that we use the theme to tie the concert together.

Since doctor S gave a long list of repertoire let me use that as an example. The Chopin prelude Op. 28 no. 1 has some very strong contrapuntal characteristics and maybe a resemblance to the first Bach prelude from WTC. But it's odd to only play one of the Op. 28. So perhaps doctor S would choose to play the three selections from Op. 28, which form a nice unit, with no. 1 tying in nicely to an overall contrapuntal theme.

Or if we use alternation then doctor S might contribute a lot of the 19th-early 20th c. portion of the program (Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Debussy).

Or if we use fugues and canons, then maybe we place three massive fugues/canons at the beginning, middle and end of the program, but the other selections are things that would contrast nicely against fugues... like doctor S's Grieg, Rachmaninoff and Scarlatti.

#2287642 - 06/09/14 09:43 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Heather, of the three options you've provided, I tend to gravitate to the "alternation" idea -- only because this seems to me to be the best natural "fit" for the choices thst the entrants have provided. That is to say, enough people have said that they want to play Bach as a first choice to make the alternation idea "work" easily. So that would be my vote -- but let's see if the others "weigh in".

#2287670 - 06/09/14 11:40 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Don't know about that. I like the idea of works from different periods, but in the same contrapuntal vein, rather than some Bach alternating with unrelated late Romantic things.

There are plenty of fugues and canons from the Romantic era - far more than enough to fill up half a recital.

Polyphonist

#2287676 - 06/09/14 11:53 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Online   content

Just speaking from the periphery smile ....seems to me it's way better to have the more flexible guideline -- especially for the first go-around and in view of some of the concerns that have been expressed. You want to make it easier for people to participate and to participate comfortably, not harder. (BTW that's why I misunderstood it before. I didn't imagine there was any thought to be as exclusionary or restrictive as that would be.)

Edited by Mark_C (06/09/14 12:13 PM)
Edit Reason: adding "or restrictive," because of Poly's reply (see next post)

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advise and Feedback on Online Piano Lessons
by [w]
9 minutes 12 seconds ago
Anyone have a burglar step on his grand piano?
by swampwiz
23 minutes 17 seconds ago
Casio px-150
by Eddyaknow
Today at 05:50 PM
Advice for a returner
by tried42long
Today at 03:40 PM
Humidity and condensation
by Phil Greenough
Today at 03:37 PM
Forum Stats
76999 Members
42 Forums
159253 Topics
2339416 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission