Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2286009 - 06/05/14 09:23 AM July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Hello everyone, let's give this a try smile

If you'd like to perform in a recital where we plan and perform a program together then sign up here! We'll create a program meant to be heard as a meaningful, beautiful and entertaining whole.

Please sign up for 15 minutes of time by responding to this thread. I just need your name. We'll determine the pieces as a group once we know who is performing.
You can share your 15-minute slot with someone else if you know you'll both play something short.
There is a maximum of 2 hours. If more people sign up then some people will be on a sub list in case of a cancellation. If not many people sign up then performers can have more time each.

Once the list of performers is set, program planning will happen on this thread. It would be great to have the whole community, not just those performing, involved in choosing repertoire and order. Non-performing listeners can make requests too! Hopefully we can come to a consensus together. Performers do make the final decision on what they play, and I decide the order.

I will post the program list on this thread as it continues to develop over the coming weeks.

The performance will be posted as a soundcloud set (playlist) on Friday, July 25 at noon EST. There will be a separate thread for the performance, discussion, and any program notes that the performers would like to share.

Submission deadline is Thursday, July 24 at noon EST.
Please send submissions to me over PM in a way that allows me to download .wav or .mp3.
Cut-and-paste editing is allowed; no tempo changes, dynamic changes, pitch changes etc., and absolutely no plagiarism.
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2286070 - 06/05/14 11:23 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I think you meant June, not July.

I will sign up for a slot, but I will be playing several smaller pieces as opposed to one large one.

Polyphonist

#2286099 - 06/05/14 12:17 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Pover Online   content

Loc: Jordan
I'd like to join as well. I will also be playing several shorter pieces rather than a long one. I can assure you that the pieces won't be as impressive as Poly's, though. :P

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18
Debussy First Arabesque (polishing)
Bach French Suite 5
Chopin Waltz Op. 18

#2286121 - 06/05/14 01:18 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
If I understand this correctly we first sign up to say we're interested in participating. What piece we end up playing will be determined later according to signing up what's on the recital program and what each performer selects from that program?

Is this correct?

#2286125 - 06/05/14 01:26 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Sounds like it.

Polyphonist

#2286132 - 06/05/14 01:37 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Heather, with this reply, consider me signed up. I have several options for a 15 minute slot -- let's see who else is interested, and I can adjust the repertoire to fit a consensus for the recital "theme".

P.S. Leave it for late July, as you have listed -- I won't be around to record in late June - early July.

#2286298 - 06/05/14 07:13 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
I think you meant June, not July.

[...]

The title says "July" and, twice in the post, she lists July dates. I think it's July.

Regards,

#2286326 - 06/05/14 08:47 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, I do mean July.

So far Polyphonist, Tim Adrianson and Pover are signed up. There is still room for 5 performers (or more if you share your time.)

#2286328 - 06/05/14 08:49 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Vid]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Vid
If I understand this correctly we first sign up to say we're interested in participating. What piece we end up playing will be determined later according to signing up what's on the recital program and what each performer selects from that program?

Is this correct?

Hi Vid,
Yes, and you will be part of deciding what's on the program, based on what you'd like to perform.

#2286379 - 06/05/14 11:24 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
doctor S Online   content

Loc: Western PA
Sign me up

#2286421 - 06/06/14 02:45 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
I'm entirely game, if you'll have me...nothing impressive to offer though wink
Xxx

#2286595 - 06/06/14 01:00 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
I'm game. Sign me up!

#2286623 - 06/06/14 02:22 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome doctor S, FSO and Vid smile
I'm already excited. I'm sure there will be a great variety of music here.

Our performers so far:
Polyphonist
Tim Adrianson
Pover
doctor S
FSO
Vid

2 more can still join.

Edited by hreichgott (06/06/14 02:23 PM)

#2286702 - 06/06/14 05:19 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
Well, I'm in.

#2286763 - 06/06/14 09:16 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
doctor S Online   content

Loc: Western PA
How does this work? Do we submit a repertoire list from which y'all chose one or more pieces for the recital, or do we have to learn new music by JULY??

#2286764 - 06/06/14 09:19 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I assume you learn the music for the recital - you have two whole months, after all. At least I'm going to be playing new pieces, using it as an opportunity to expand my repertoire.

Polyphonist

#2286849 - 06/07/14 02:07 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: hreichgott
Originally Posted By: Vid

Is this correct?

Hi Vid,
Yes, and you will be part of deciding what's on the program, based on what you'd like to perform.

It seems to me like a most bizarre way of preparing a recital program :
- we sign up because we are interested in performing, not knowing what we will be playing or whether what we want to play will be "acceptable" or "appropriate" for the recital.
- then, when the requisite number of people are signed up (that's determined how? since we don't know what we will play, nor for how long we will play except that we are limited to 15 minutes)
- then everyone signed up mutually contributes suggestions as to what the program will be, presumably based on what each of those individuals wants to play or has ready to play
- then someone makes the final decision and does what: gives final blessing to some of the proposed suggestions and eliminates others?

We'll determine the pieces as a group once we know who is performing.

... and how are "we" going to do that when we don't know what is in the repertoire list of those wanting to perform. Does everyone list all the pieces s/he wishes to perform and we choose from among them? What if the "choice" made isn't the performer's preferred piece?

It would be great to have the whole community, not just those performing, involved in choosing repertoire and order. Non-performing listeners can make requests too! Hopefully we can come to a consensus together. Performers do make the final decision on what they play,

The whole community weighs in on what they want to hear in this recital choosing from what list? The community makes the choice, but the performers make the final decision and Heather gives the final approval? If I am performing and the community decides what I should play but I have the final decision and we are at odds, what then?

Isn't this the most involved, convoluted way of trying to "organize" a recital? By the time the requisite number of performers is achieved, the lists of repertoire are posted and the community votes, it will probably be August!

I guess I don't get it.

#2286855 - 06/07/14 02:32 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: BruceD]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
By the time the requisite number of performers is achieved, the lists of repertoire are posted and the community votes, it will probably be August!

Seeing as 7 out of the 8 performers have already signed up, I don't think the first item on that list is going to take very long. As for the second step, I don't see why repertoire lists would be posted, since it seems like a key aspect of this recital is flexibility. The third step, given an efficient discussion/voting process, I can't see taking very long either - the entire initial process should take under a week.

Polyphonist

#2286862 - 06/07/14 03:05 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
That's kind of how I see it too. I can see where Bruce's kinds of questions are coming from too, but this just 'feels' like a thing where it has a great chance to work out fine, despite the looseness. It seems like a thing where Heather has a nice basic idea and a good handle on how to work it out. Yes, it's a little vague, but judging from the degree of interest and the tone of how it's all being presented and discussed, I think the kinds of things Bruce is asking about will work themselves out step-by-step as the group goes along. It'll be interesting to see. If it's successful, which I think it will be, I think the process itself might be as interesting and fun as the music itself.

#2286892 - 06/07/14 06:26 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: BruceD]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

I guess I don't get it.

You are not alone - neither do I. But, whatever - if people want to do it, why not?

FWIW, I never listen to our e-citals here as if they are real life concerts in real time, which may be one reason why this format mystifies me.

#2286919 - 06/07/14 09:38 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Our performers so far:
Polyphonist
Tim Adrianson
Pover
doctor S
FSO
Vid
MikeN

Room for one more!

#2286945 - 06/07/14 11:05 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I think it's an interesting idea and don't really understand all the critiques. If you don't want to participate, then don't participate. Geez...
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2286967 - 06/07/14 12:34 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Kreisler]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Kreisler
I think it's an interesting idea and don't really understand all the critiques. If you don't want to participate, then don't participate. Geez...

I think it is probable that folks would like to participate but aren't comfortable not knowing how long they are going to have to prepare. It should be interesting, though.

#2287008 - 06/07/14 02:23 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Kreisler]
BruceD Online   content

Geez, yourself!! If I am not bright enough to have “seen the light,” at least give me the right to ask questions and get clarification without summarily dismissing me as uninterested!

Yes, I wanted to participate, but the parameters seem to indicate that only after the participants were accepted would the program be decided, a “meaningful, beautiful and entertaining whole.”

- Not knowing what the program is going to be, why would one sign up without knowing what is going to be accepted as part of this “meaningful, beautiful whole”? I imagine that I sign up, but when I indicate what I want to play, my repertoire pieces are neither “meaningful” nor “beautiful” and they don’t fit the program. So then what, I am dismissed and someone else is chosen?

- If others choose the program, but the performer has the final decision on his/her choice, isn’t that somewhat of a contradiction? The idea that the whole community will be “making requests” of just eight or nine people suggests that there may well be many “requests” which aren’t in anyone’s repertoire. Or are these community members to choose from a list that the performers will make public?

Finally, why should others decide what I should play, even if I have final decision?

#2287009 - 06/07/14 02:36 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

Bruce: I'm guessing strongly and pretty confidently that it'll be a lot less iffy than what you're afraid of. I'd bet that everyone (everyone!) will be able to play what they want to play. I can imagine -- just fr'instance -- that if there's overlap between people's pieces, someone might be asked to omit a piece, maybe substitute something else if they can; or, maybe for another reason, Heather might (maybe -- dunno, just thinking out loud) -- might ask someone if maybe they can play some different piece if she has the impression that the person could probably do it pretty easily and that it might make for an even better program. I think for the most part Heather will just be arranging the things that people want to play into a good program -- and (and maybe she herself hasn't thought of this yet, but I can imagine it playing out this way) grin ....that to whatever extent she is left feeling that something is missing, she herself will play something different than exactly what she had planned, or that she might reach out to someone extra to play some additional piece. Stuff like that.

Just guessing about the details -- but I'm thinking pretty confidently that the things you're worried about won't happen. I wouldn't necessarily automatically think this in such a situation, but in view of exactly who is involved, that's my impression. Heather seems to be an unusually good and sensitive managerial type. smile

#2287020 - 06/07/14 03:38 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Damon]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

I think it is probable that folks would like to participate but aren't comfortable not knowing how long they are going to have to prepare.

That was stated clearly in the inital post. You will have until Thursday, July 24.

Polyphonist

#2287024 - 06/07/14 03:42 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Heather, since we now have seven entrants (seven and a half, if we count BruceD), I will propose three options for my 15 minute segment:

1 Selected works of Federico Mompou -- ("Fetes Lointaines", a Cancion y Danza (of my choosing) , "Jeunes Filles au Jardin", "Lago")

2 Three WTC Preludes/Fugues -- choice TBD, maybe mine,maybe yours in this case)

3 Tonal works from the past 20 years (Danielpour, Picker, Smit, Welcher, Torke, Zaimont).

Actually, it now seems to me appropriate for the other contributore to say what they want to record and perform as well -- it would give us all a chance to see if there is some commonality in "theme", however broad.

#2287025 - 06/07/14 03:43 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Mark_C]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
I think we'll probably end up thinking of sample rectal programs. Really, it seem to me, the name of the game is convenience. We have the option of playing anything. We can revive music and play it. We can learn entirely new music if we have the courage. If we want to, we can think up a certain theme. Heck, if we want to do a major work we can spread out movement's between people. Anything goes as long as we can make a coherent whole out of it. The only limiting factors are time and the skill of each respective participant. It's not all that different, to me, from putting together a studio recital in college.

#2287026 - 06/07/14 03:44 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I was going to suggest Bach-Busoni Chorale Preludes and a short work by Chopin/Scriabin.

Polyphonist

#2287032 - 06/07/14 03:55 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
I was going to suggest Bach-Busoni Chorale Preludes and a short work by Chopin/Scriabin.

BTW if you felt like making your whole thing a set of Chorale Preludes, or even just plain Bach chorales (!) I think we'd have a huge appetite for that. smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, ando, AndresD, ajames, 44 invisible), 1572 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318832 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission