Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2285194 - 06/03/14 01:52 PM Rondo Alla Turca Measure 33-55
kaanguner Offline

I'm not exactly sure about measure numbers but it is the part where you hit quarter notes making two sentences. It's self explanatory for anyone who knows the piece.

My question is about fingering. I have a fingering which i myself learned to my liking. But now that I'm looking at some threads some people use a different fingering.

My fingering is: 3432 1543 2432 1231 2342 4123 4312 3232

But I found two comments which tells: 3432 1432 1432.. and the way i go back differs too.

So is that matters? Like for playing it fast some movements are better than others etcetera. I learned that part this way and instinctivly I want to keep it like that. But if there are obstacles ahead and high tempos that'll appear to me, I'm ready to re-learn.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2285282 - 06/03/14 05:25 PM Re: Rondo Alla Turca Measure 33-55 [Re: kaanguner]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure about measure numbers but it is the part where you hit quarter notes making two sentences. It's self explanatory for anyone who knows the piece.

I've played this piece for 20 years, and I don't know anywhere in it that a series of quarter notes make two "sentences".

Now, based on the fingering and measure numbers you've provided, I'm going to guess that you have the measures correct, and work with that section. But this section has 16th notes and 8th notes, so if there is a quarter note giving you trouble, it isn't here.

This passage isn't particularly fast, nor very demanding, so you can use either fingering. In general, the thumb on the black key in the 2nd fingering means you have to move your hand in. Many pianists try to avoid this movement by placing the 2nd finger on the black key (F#) instead.

If you're looking for an alternative, try 3432 1213 2432

You might find it easier than trying to go from thumb to pinky. smile

#2285381 - 06/03/14 09:50 PM Re: Rondo Alla Turca Measure 33-55 [Re: kaanguner]
hreichgott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Originally Posted By: kaanguner

My question is about fingering. I have a fingering which i myself learned to my liking. But now that I'm looking at some threads some people use a different fingering.

My fingering is: 3432 1543 2432 1231 2342 4123 4312 3232

But I found two comments which tells: 3432 1432 1432.. and the way i go back differs too.

So is that matters? Like for playing it fast some movements are better than others etcetera. I learned that part this way and instinctivly I want to keep it like that. But if there are obstacles ahead and high tempos that'll appear to me, I'm ready to re-learn.

If yours works for you then keep yours!

You should probably check it at tempo to make sure. You don't have to learn the whole passage up to tempo to do this. Just try groups of three or four notes at a time, in fast short bursts with big pauses in between, with your fingering. You'll find out if any of your choices are not optimal for the performance tempo.
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2285651 - 06/04/14 11:55 AM Re: Rondo Alla Turca Measure 33-55 [Re: Derulux]
kaanguner Offline

Originally Posted By: Derulux
Quote:

I've played this piece for 20 years, and I don't know anywhere in it that a series of quarter notes make two "sentences".

Now, based on the fingering and measure numbers you've provided, I'm going to guess that you have the measures correct, and work with that section. But this section has 16th notes and 8th notes, so if there is a quarter note giving you trouble, it isn't here.

This passage isn't particularly fast, nor very demanding, so you can use either fingering. In general, the thumb on the black key in the 2nd fingering means you have to move your hand in. Many pianists try to avoid this movement by placing the 2nd finger on the black key (F#) instead.

So what i should be avoiding is putting my thumb at the black keys not going from pinky to thumb?

So fingering issue is mostly for the expression at here I assume.

And sorry about the notes. I meant 16ths.

#2285819 - 06/04/14 05:46 PM Re: Rondo Alla Turca Measure 33-55 [Re: kaanguner]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux
Quote:

So what i should be avoiding is putting my thumb at the black keys not going from pinky to thumb?

So fingering issue is mostly for the expression at here I assume.

And sorry about the notes. I meant 16ths.

One of the most basic goals of fingering is to facilitate expression. In other words, you find the most efficient way of producing the sound you're trying to achieve. Unfortunately, that means it is often very personal. There are some "standard" fingerings, but even those rules can be bent or broken.

If you find a fingering that is comfortable, and allows you to express what you're trying to express, then use it. Only switch fingerings if you can't get the sound you want, what you're doing is causing unnecessary tension, or you find something that works better/easier.

#2285967 - 06/05/14 07:03 AM Re: Rondo Alla Turca Measure 33-55 [Re: kaanguner]
kaanguner Offline

But as a principle is it possible to say that:

Putting your thumb on black keys makes your hand move in forward so have to be avoided when possible

Going from pink to thumb is a big leap so must be avoided in fast passages?

#2286020 - 06/05/14 09:39 AM Re: Rondo Alla Turca Measure 33-55 [Re: kaanguner]
hreichgott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA

Putting your thumb on black keys makes your hand move in forward so have to be avoided when possible

Sorry, there aren't really any general rules for fingering choices, except "do what is most efficient and produces the best sound for you for that particular group of notes" !

Usually people avoid putting the thumb on black keys right before or after a longer finger on an adjacent white key, just because most people find it inconvenient. Scale passages for example. (Your passage is basically a scale passage with a lot of U-turns.) But there are plenty of times when you would want to use the thumb on a black key, like anytime you need to cover a lot of distance in that direction -- a leap downward from D to F# followed by a leap upward to E would be easiest for most people with thumb on F#.

5-1 on adjacent notes is often a good choice. 4-1 is often easier, but it depends on the notes. I think Derulux was just suggesting a possibly easier alternative for this particular spot.
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2286118 - 06/05/14 01:10 PM Re: Rondo Alla Turca Measure 33-55 [Re: kaanguner]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

You've already gotten one good reply to this, but I'll chime in, too. Do you find it awkward to do those things? Is it uncomfortable? Can you get the sound you want?

Ignore "principle" and pay more attention to "comfort" and "sound". They are far more important in the end.

#2286474 - 06/06/14 07:47 AM Re: Rondo Alla Turca Measure 33-55 [Re: kaanguner]
kaanguner Offline

It's all appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, ando, accordeur, Al LaPorte, 44 invisible), 1910 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156262 Topics
2294832 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
07/29/14 03:08 PM
Sonatina in G
by Ritzycat
07/29/14 03:06 PM
schulze pollmann upright piano SP-114/p4
by how0425
07/29/14 03:01 PM
Looking for my next piece
by Mallory
07/29/14 02:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission