Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2286089 - 06/05/14 11:53 AM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Bigwillo7]
Trstan993 Offline

I feel like this is like American Idol when everyone is telling you no, I will give you a yes. There are quicker way to learn and play the song ( may be not exactly like the original) but not much different.
For example is you look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YPPWShawyU , try to play the harmony chord ( since you don't read music its the red color on the keyboard) and ONLY the top note of the melody for now ( top note = the most right note on the keyboard). You can ignore the rest of the middle orange notes for now since they are what we call embellishment on the chord, and add them in as much as possible once you have master the overall simply song structure.
I remember many moons ago I started piano also for a girl as well, and one songs turns into a passion for 30 some years. Worst comes worst, the only song you play is absolutely recyclable to the next girl comes along smile

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2286091 - 06/05/14 11:55 AM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Bigwillo7]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Quote:
one songs turns into a passion for 30 some years

This ^ BigWillo7, maybe this will be the start of a long relationship for you - with the piano!

Best of luck to you!

#2286129 - 06/05/14 01:27 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Polyphonist]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

... the capability to learn to play the piano in two months simply does not exist ... why are we lying to him?

... just one piece in 2 months.

It is not a lie ... just a huge stretch. Also, might you be forgetting something?

Surprising to me as you normally come across so warm smile ...

#2286138 - 06/05/14 01:46 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Polyphonist]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Originally Posted By: keystring
Originally Posted By: 8 Octaves
Forget about pedaling.

For the third piece? I wouldn't think so.

I wouldn't think so about this whole enterprise. Unless the OP is a genius, which he (by his own admission) is not, the capability to learn to play the piano in two months simply does not exist. He has asked if it's possible, and why are we lying to him?

I second this. If you really want something to play for her, look for like few bars long arrangement for piano starters for some love song or song she likes. slow song. one note per hand. Unless you are extremely gifted (to an extent) you will not do anything more than few bars from these pieces, spending like two hours daily on the piano, asking yourself how to play that scary thing.

I will tell you, that you will not be able to learn properly to play even the first few bars from memory. Sorry, they are difficult pieces, and even many starters told you that they are to hard for them after a year or more.

Get over this and find the new idea.
Sorry, but you will only lose your time and nerves and she will probably not be pleased by your horrous execution. and, after two months, you will realize, that you mostly lost your time. Maybe do some beutiful origami rose or whatever, it's really easier to learn than piano playing in your case.

Well, there is always possibility that you will love the piano, but, it's life-long journey.

If you want to have some benchmark, go and listen how and what people are playing after few months or years.

#2286170 - 06/05/14 02:55 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: kapelli]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: kapelli
Maybe do some beutiful origami rose or whatever, it's really easier to learn than piano playing in your case.
I bet everyone on the origami forum is cringing at this comment wink
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2286185 - 06/05/14 03:37 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Morodiene]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
It's amazing how the uninitiated completely underestimate the difficulty of playing piano. It's not easy like operating a pro-level digital SLR or programming a VCR. They think it's no harder than most things adults have experience like learning to operate a stick-shift car in traffic, which most people could be proficient after one month of practice.

Synthesia is neat tool. But the problem is most beginners touching a piano for the very first time has the musical memory of far less than a minute like Brian said. Even if someone showed me all the notes of this song (below) when I first started piano, there is just no way to remember it all in a couple of months. Learning to read the score is actually easier? Of course we are throwing away entirely the issue of quality. Then add in performance stress when you are actually playing it back for that important person.

#2286195 - 06/05/14 03:48 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Bigwillo7]
Mken Offline

Well the things is anybody I mean anybody can knock out a tune on a piano, the difficulty is in playing well and putting together a performance which flows

This piece here I can kinda play it, but the when it gets to 1/8 and 1/16th notes I just don't have the speed and flow to make it sound anything other than clunky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXCzaJh7Gj0

#2286262 - 06/05/14 06:03 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Bigwillo7]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OMG 8 Octaves, I love that Frozen Synthesia!! I just watched it twice in a row.

It's an awesome arrangement and super fun to watch the comments on the screen! What do you think, 3 or people could maybe do it? 5? grin

So what is the significance of different colors in Synthesia? Like the purple runs up and down the keyboard? Does that mean someone played those in one take and the other colors were played in a different take? Or, was none of this ever played and the arranger just typed it in and the computer played it? (Sorry, I know nothing about Synthesia or MIDI stuff)

#2286263 - 06/05/14 06:06 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: ShiroKuro]
Mken Offline

In synthesia light blue is left hand, green is right hand.

When a midi file which has multiple instruments is played they use different colours to signify each instrument.

Bad apple is a good example:

about 10 different pianos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF16HpGtuHc

Of course some REALLy fast people can play multihanded stuff IRL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFWTF8ImmBE

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8-fnHl7mbw

#2286271 - 06/05/14 06:21 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Bigwillo7]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wow, Marasy8 is all fast-fingers! This one I know (it was made for Hatsune-Miku IIRC) but his version is better IMO!

But I can't stand to listen to the Ura-omote Synthesia that you linked -- sorry! No offense meant, but I dislike those computer/synth sounds. That's part of why I like the Let It Go Impossible Synthesia, because it's just piano sounds. Bad Apple is fine too, but probably even more impossible than Let It Go.

Sorry for the thread drift everyone!

#2286286 - 06/05/14 06:53 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Mken]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Mken
Well the things is anybody I mean anybody can knock out a tune on a piano, the difficulty is in playing well and putting together a performance which flows

This piece here I can kinda play it, but the when it gets to 1/8 and 1/16th notes I just don't have the speed and flow to make it sound anything other than clunky.

I love this song! When I heard it in the anime I sought out the sheet music for it. It reminds me a lot of Clair de Lune.

Edited by Morodiene (06/05/14 06:53 PM)

#2286290 - 06/05/14 07:02 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: ShiroKuro]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
OMG 8 Octaves, I love that Frozen Synthesia!! I just watched it twice in a row.

It's an awesome arrangement and super fun to watch the comments on the screen! What do you think, 3 or people could maybe do it? 5? grin

Isn't it fun!

I also think the video demonstrate this fact. Somehow whenever we hear stuff, it activate our emotional center that unless we have been trained to tell, we no longer listen to how many notes are coming at us, or what it might take to achieve that. We just get swept away by the emotions of it all. More sobering is to turn off the sound completely and just watch the video. The task of pressing all those notes (sure this video have more than one instruments so not exactly fair), even with the sound guiding you, your brain still has to process all the movements for your hands and fingers. Some people are literally born (hard wired) for this. The rest of us, takes years to learn it.

#2286739 - 06/06/14 07:05 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Morodiene]
Mken Offline

Based on this piece and pieces like it do you recommend other pieces which are similar and at the same time at a similar level?

It is rare I hear pieces like yin's piano that make me think wow...

#2286753 - 06/06/14 08:17 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Morodiene]
ThePawn Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

I love this song! When I heard it in the anime I sought out the sheet music for it. It reminds me a lot of Clair de Lune.

Wow! This piece of music is beautiful indeed and is reminiscent of CdL. The link for the sheets of this transcription can be found HERE for anyone that might be interested.

Jason

#2286809 - 06/06/14 11:58 PM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Mken]
Morodiene Offline

Based on this piece and pieces like it do you recommend other pieces which are similar and at the same time at a similar level?

It is rare I hear pieces like yin's piano that make me think wow...

Hmm, there's a piece by Kevin Olson called Nocturne (probably quite a bit easier than yin - it was the only video of this piece I could find):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svZi_VjAeYU

Also by him there's Winter Moonlight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwCaMuTONz4&index=88&list=PL_M4_m6KQS9Zr6cHSP6iCCMmEW-s_6qQh

There's also quite a bit harder than Yin, but easier than CDL, Grieg's Nocturne (has a lot of 3 vs. 2 8th notes and trills):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjCoXo8kb1g

A bit jazzier, Shadows in the Rain by Edwin Mclean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODS6GnqoEbw

#2286846 - 06/07/14 01:57 AM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Bigwillo7]
kaanguner Offline

how about giving a shot at this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wynLcUWNENk

#2286910 - 06/07/14 08:22 AM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Bigwillo7]
Mken Offline

Thanks!

Darker than black is turning out to be a goldmine of piano arrangements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGPKcRF8unc

#2286948 - 06/07/14 11:22 AM Re: No music backgroun but Play for my girlfriend. [Re: Bigwillo7]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wow, I was really surprised that the composer of Yin no Piano is Yoko Kanno!

I don't really watch anime, but I lived in Japan for 12 years and music from anime is kind of just in the air, so I've heard a fair amount of anime music (for someone who doesn't watch it). So I'm very familiar with the pianist who does the music for Cowboy Bebop, which is, you guessed it, Yoko Kanno. But I'm familiar with these pieces by her:

And

Compare these to Yin no Piano and it really shows her versatility as a composer. (And Wiki Japan lists her in the music credits for Darker than Black).

Anyway, thanks Mken for sharing Yin no Piano with us, because otherwise I doubt I'd have heard it. I think I'm going to get the score try to add it to my list of pieces to learn in the near future!

Also, Kaanguner, I think I'd like that Richter piece, but the piano sounds very computerized and although my own piano is a digital, there's something about that video that I don't like the sound. I wonder if there's another version I can hear.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What do you think about the Fatar TP40 keybed?
by 3mb3r4
Today at 03:22 AM
Essex EGP 155 or Yamaha Gc1
by pianomom301
Today at 02:14 AM
More Bach (Ich Ruf Zu Dir)
by johnlewisgrant
Today at 12:12 AM
Incredibly short fugue
by Pencil_skirts_and_
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Who's Online
73 registered (AliAlkhiro, 36251, ahrensjt, ando, 20 invisible), 930 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157526 Topics
2313894 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission