Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2286954 - 06/07/14 12:06 PM Pianos are likely to burn!
DanL Offline

As the tile said, FIRE SPREAD WELL ON A WOODEN PIANO, so it will makes the worst things ever for your piano, and also other things if you don't be careful!

This has just happened to me a few hours ago. My piano is put near a window. Today we used fire (I don't know the English word for that kind of work) to attach more iron bars to the window. And suddenly, my piano caught a fire!

The fire cause some minor damage to one foot of the piano, which leave some very very ugly markings on it. Luckily, we prepared water and put out the fire quickly and no further damage is done to anything.

But what if we don't be careful, then bad things can happen. This time a small accident happened, so let's not make it worst.So, always, we have to be extremely careful to prevent them from happening.

Also, we should prepare countermeasure, in case bad things occur.

That was my true story. I post this because I want to remind you to be careful and wise, to protect your family, friends, other people, and of course, your precious instruments.

Regards,
DanL

Edited by DanL (06/07/14 12:10 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2286972 - 06/07/14 12:49 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Glad you and piano are ok!

#2286974 - 06/07/14 12:50 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Interesting story, and you are fortunate things were no worse than they were…

A couple of months ago, I decided to burn some fallen tree-limbs and debris that had accumulated on my property over the winter. I took precautions that I thought were prudent, like calling the forestry department and getting a burn permit, having some buckets of water available, etc...

To make a long story short, the wind got up suddenly and the fire got away from me and set my pasture field on fire. I had to call 911 and get the county fire department out to help me contain the fire. Fortunately, no harm was done, and the fire department was only there about 30 minutes. Nevertheless, I was embarrassed to no end… Glad I had the burn permit. smile

As far as using a welding/brazing/soldering torch to do any work near wood walls, (or pianos) I’ve done that a lot too working as an HVACR service technician for many years. I would always have a dripping-wet rag and a fire extinguisher handy, as well as the appropriate heat shield. Fire is a powerful and dangerous thing and can be unpredictable.

All the best,

Rick

#2286982 - 06/07/14 01:20 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: Rickster]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Rickster
Interesting story, and you are fortunate things were no worse than they were…

A couple of months ago, I decided to burn some fallen tree-limbs and debris that had accumulated on my property over the winter. I took precautions that I thought were prudent, like calling the forestry department and getting a burn permit, having some buckets of water available, etc...

To make a long story short, the wind got up suddenly and the fire got away from me and set my pasture field on fire. I had to call 911 and get the county fire department out to help me contain the fire. Fortunately, no harm was done, and the fire department was only there about 30 minutes. Nevertheless, I was embarrassed to no end… Glad I had the burn permit. smile

Wow, that is super scary, Rick! Yes, without the permit you could have been in a fair bit of trouble. Glad it worked out ok - save some red cheeks.

#2286992 - 06/07/14 01:49 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
I have seriously wondered about how well a high-gloss ebony piano top would react to an abnormal amount of heat.

I would like to think that my piano would not react as poorly as, say untreated wood. I'm wondering, however, if there are any plastic components to the gloss finish. If so, any exposure to heat could actually be worse than normal untreated wood.

I plan on never finding out!

2013 Yamaha C2X | 2001 Yamaha M500-F .
Current: Diabelli - Allegretto; Schein - Allemande

#2287000 - 06/07/14 02:00 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: BrianDX]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BrianDX
I'm wondering, however, if there are any plastic components to the gloss finish.

It is plastic.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2287015 - 06/07/14 03:11 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: BrianDX]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: BrianDX
I have seriously wondered about how well a high-gloss ebony piano top would react to an abnormal amount of heat.

I would like to think that my piano would not react as poorly as, say untreated wood. I'm wondering, however, if there are any plastic components to the gloss finish. If so, any exposure to heat could actually be worse than normal untreated wood.

I plan on never finding out!

Hi Brian, I don't believe any typical piano finish is any more flammable than the other. They are all flammable/combustable, but it will usually require an actual flame to get them going or a very extreme amount of radiant heat (which is so hot it's approaching that of flame contact). Usually if the temperature gets to that point, a whole lot of other things are already on fire - so your piano might be the least of your worries at that point!

Heat could certainly ruin your finish though. Polymers will deform and lose their lustre when exposed to heat - especially if they have a clear coat on top. So you definitely want to be very conservative with any kind of heat source in close proximity to your piano.

PS - I played a C2X and a C3X the other day - really lovely pianos to play. smile

#2287050 - 06/07/14 04:30 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I would be more concerned about the soundboard.
good to hear that all is well.

#2287063 - 06/07/14 05:16 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
supersport Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Glad you were able to contain the fire without even more damage.

#2287476 - 06/08/14 07:56 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Fire is always scary and you are correct, pianos burn fast. I get concerned every time I see a pianos near a fire place.

Thanks for the reminder.

Enjoy.

#2287731 - 06/09/14 03:20 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Well, my pianos get pretty hot and fired-up when I play some super-fast, Jerry-Lee style boogie-woogie... smile

I haven't seen any smoke yet, thank goodness. smile

Rick

#2287770 - 06/09/14 05:15 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
Wow, close one DanL! I'm happy to hear the damage was minimal.

One must be very careful with fire at any time; right now a good portion of our area and adjoining areas in California are under red flag fire condition warnings.

A little while back, an older gentleman 2 miles south of my house disposed of some fireplace ashes - the wind came up and TWO DAYS later fanned those embers back to life. The resulting fire claimed one life, 29 homes, and 3,177 acres (including my acre yard and outbuildings). Our house was spared but I spent a tense 48 hours, while still under evacuation, waiting to hear if I still HAD a piano. Oh,yeah - and house!

Fire is nothing to sneeze at.

#2287911 - 06/10/14 12:40 AM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
DanL Offline

Dear JeanieA!

I'm sorry to hear that, about the terrible fire accident happened in you area. I hope the you and others were alright. That was so close...

It's always good to learn how to fight and survive a fire!

Regards,

#2287957 - 06/10/14 05:34 AM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
I worked as Business Manager at a School for 24 yrs. One night, Police rang me at 11pm asking me to attend, as the Assembly Hall was on fire.

Long story - but the piano caught fire.

Hall was hired by a ballroom dance club. They turned on hall and side stage lights like normal. After the first dance, someone complained about the smell of paint coming from the stage area, so they closed the heavy stage curtains, and the dance caller moved to the front of the stage.

End of next dance, the dance caller noticed that the paint smell was stronger than before, so they opened the curtain to check - and the piano was on fire.

What had happened was at the end of the day, the Sport Teachers, instead of taking a thick Gymnastics mat down to the sport shed - like they were supposed to, stood it upright behind the piano - without checking that they didn't lean it against something important - like a wall light fitting.

The light fitting heated the mat, which caught fire, setting the piano alight.

It had, prior to that incident, been a Yamaha U1.

The piano was the least of the problems - about ¼ million dollars to get the hall back in action. And we got a new piano from the insurance.

#2288013 - 06/10/14 09:36 AM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
DanL Offline

Oh! fire is really a good thing, sometimes; and also a bad thing, sometimes. Let's stay safe and alert!

#2288226 - 06/10/14 07:00 PM Re: Pianos are likely to burn! [Re: DanL]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
This post troubles me because my other hobby is collecting greasy rags and gas cans! I told my insurance man this, and he didn't smile.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DH Baldwin - a few technical questions
by Jamie_from_Canada
09/23/14 06:20 AM
I can only Trill well on good grand pianos....
by Paul678
09/22/14 11:48 PM
Is Bondfix just as good as Hotstuff CA glue?
by Paul678
09/22/14 10:42 PM
What's up with Paulello?
by jim ialeggio
09/22/14 10:13 PM
Kawai RX-2 and RX-2 BLAK
by myip
09/22/14 08:15 PM
Who's Online
52 registered (BachMach2, beeboss, 36251, barbaram, 10 invisible), 980 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157701 Topics
2316414 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission