Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2286870 - 06/07/14 04:26 AM Re: Digital Piano recommendation [Re: Brian Lucas]
Starr Keys Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Originally Posted By: Brian Lucas
Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
Originally Posted By: Brian Lucus
By the way, I've never played a digital that had too heavy of an action. But acoustics... plenty. So for someone with zero knowledge (as the OP claims to have), there's a lot less concern and set up to go with a decent digital. Plus, the cost can be kept reasonable until you're sure she will want to continue.

I don't know if "a lot less concern" is accurate. I've read more than one post from musicians, amateur and professional, who claim to have gotten Tendonitus playing on 88-key Casio's, and I may have myself. But the technology may have changed in the last two years to the extent that this doesn't happen as much.

I misspoke a little. I meant that in a digital, you know what you're getting based on the model. 2 of the same model keyboards will be virtually identical. If you're buying an acoustic, especially used, you'll have to try it out to see what the action is and what kind of condition it's in. Sorry for not being clear.

Or I misread, a little.:) Thanks for the clarification.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2286933 - 06/07/14 10:27 AM Re: Digital Piano recommendation [Re: photocrazy]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Western N.Y.
Another vote for the Yamaha P-155.
Yamaha P155

#2286977 - 06/07/14 12:56 PM Re: Digital Piano recommendation [Re: photocrazy]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

It's very tempting to play digitals at low volume when using the speakers, so as not to disturb others. This will have the effect of encouraging thumping, which in turn predisposes the player to injuries. Another unfortunate side-effect is that the player never learns to play softly - because, in effect, he's using the volume control on the digital to control the loudness (and it's always easier to play loudly than softly, which requires much more control).

If you want to develop proper piano (as opposed to 'keyboard') technique, you have to play your digital as if it's an acoustic. Therefore, you should set the volume control high enough to simulate the volume from an acoustic when played with the same force. Use headphones if you don't want to disturb others, not turn the volume control down to unrealistically low levels. Not even occasionally. How can any learner pianist develop proper control of tone and dynamics if there is no consistent correlation between how hard he strikes the keys and how loud (and 'brilliant') the sound is - no matter how good the digital?

I've been playing my digital for four years. I've only altered the volume control once - when I replaced my old headphones with a better pair, which has higher impedance and lower sensitivity (therefore requiring a higher volume setting for the same volume). My digital has no speakers - and there is no point in me obtaining any, because I have neighbor problems, so I use headphones exclusively. And I have no problems transferring whatever I've practiced on my digital to any acoustic. (I give a mini-recital to colleagues once a month on an acoustic grand).

BTW, you'll find that a few classical concert pianists who use digitals for late-night practising blog about playing them with the volume control turned right down. Bear in mind that they have real grands to practice on daily, during more social hours; and most of them only use their digitals for specific technical 'drills' (e.g. for mastering tricky sections) and to learn new pieces, to 'get the notes into their fingers' and getting the fingerings sorted out, before going on to interpretative aspects. And they've long ago mastered the control of touch, tone and dynamics required for advanced classical music......

#2287018 - 06/07/14 03:24 PM Re: Digital Piano recommendation [Re: photocrazy]
Skylover Offline

Yamaha P-105 serving a pianist for only about two years!? Bitch please, I am an adult and I have no prevision when I'll got another piano. In my country the P-105 is a luxury item though...

#2287040 - 06/07/14 04:08 PM Re: Digital Piano recommendation [Re: bennevis]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Originally Posted By: bennevis
It's very tempting to play digitals at low volume when using the speakers, so as not to disturb others. This will have the effect of encouraging thumping, which in turn predisposes the player to injuries. Another unfortunate side-effect is that the player never learns to play softly - because, in effect, he's using the volume control on the digital to control the loudness (and it's always easier to play loudly than softly, which requires much more control).

If you want to develop proper piano (as opposed to 'keyboard') technique, you have to play your digital as if it's an acoustic. Therefore, you should set the volume control high enough to simulate the volume from an acoustic when played with the same force. Use headphones if you don't want to disturb others, not turn the volume control down to unrealistically low levels. Not even occasionally. How can any learner pianist develop proper control of tone and dynamics if there is no consistent correlation between how hard he strikes the keys and how loud (and 'brilliant') the sound is - no matter how good the digital?

I've been playing my digital for four years. I've only altered the volume control once - when I replaced my old headphones with a better pair, which has higher impedance and lower sensitivity (therefore requiring a higher volume setting for the same volume). My digital has no speakers - and there is no point in me obtaining any, because I have neighbor problems, so I use headphones exclusively. And I have no problems transferring whatever I've practiced on my digital to any acoustic. (I give a mini-recital to colleagues once a month on an acoustic grand).

BTW, you'll find that a few classical concert pianists who use digitals for late-night practising blog about playing them with the volume control turned right down. Bear in mind that they have real grands to practice on daily, during more social hours; and most of them only use their digitals for specific technical 'drills' (e.g. for mastering tricky sections) and to learn new pieces, to 'get the notes into their fingers' and getting the fingerings sorted out, before going on to interpretative aspects. And they've long ago mastered the control of touch, tone and dynamics required for advanced classical music......

You raise some excellent points about digital pianos.

#2287197 - 06/08/14 02:04 AM Re: Digital Piano recommendation [Re: photocrazy]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Check out the Roland "F-20". Its a great value with 88 keys, a nice sound, and it has MIDI to interface with computers and ipads.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (AndrewJCW, barbaram, Al LaPorte, ando, Allard, 26 invisible), 1283 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156118 Topics
2292575 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
do some experiment with dampers lining va line of centers.?
by Olek
1 minute 29 seconds ago
How To Improve?
by Xagan
Today at 05:59 AM
Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro
by sislermi
Today at 02:42 AM
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
Today at 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission