2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Wow, thanks for the complement, Ken!! Especially coming from the moderator of the Piano World forum!

I would say there are a lot of talented people on the PW forums, yourself included! thumb

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
GIMP is an open-source image editor, a poor man's Photoshop.

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by guest1013
Very nice! Do you think it will hold a tuning?

Well, there is a chance that it won’t hold a tuning, but it doesn’t really matter. If not, I might be able to dope the pins and see what happens.

My gut instincts tell me that it will. The old-style open-plate pin block looks good with no cracks and none of the pins are driven in and all look uniform in the block. It has a little bit of rust on the pins and strings, but mostly tarnish from being 100 years old. I haven’t put a tuning hammer on it yet because I’m having too much fun with it sounding like an old saloon piano for now. It’s in my garage shop now, but I’ll try to tune it when I get it in my house.

The treble bridge looks real good and the bass bridge has some minor cracks that could be repaired with epoxy to get a little more life out of it. The action seems to have been refirbished at some point in time too. All the keys work and are not real loose or clacky. The hammers have some wear, but that is probably what gives it the saloon sound. grin

I bought the old piano to tinker around with for fun, and if all else fails, I’ll use parts of the cabinet for something. The piano was close by and pretty cheap, plus the neighbor delivered it to me.

I still think newer is better when it comes to pianos, but old uprights are still a lot of fun, and some of them are still fine instruments.

Take care,

Rick

What does "open plate" mean please?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Philip,

Older pianos, pre-1905 typically, will have a 3/4-plate that does not reach the top of the pinblock. The plate only extends to the bottom of the pinblock in construction. The tuning pins are driven into the pinblock directly; without passing through a plate and without plate bushings.

There is a cross-over period where manufacturers who had not updated to a 'full-perimeter' plate would use a second piece of cast-iron to surround the pinblock and pretend that it was the better design. These also would typically have an 'open' pinblock. It just means that you can see and touch the pinblock face directly. He's just stating that the visible pinblock does not appear to have any cracks or splits. Something a little easier to do with this stlye of piano construction.

.02-------ching!

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you.

So is an open plate very much inferior?

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Very much inferior? No. There are many fine examples of uprights from the 1880's-90's that still tune and work very well. But, the simple AGE of these open-face pinblocks is something to keep in mind. You won't see many that are less than 100+ years old.

OK?

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
OP Offline
I see where this thread was resurrected from 4 years ago…

Since then, my YouTube video “Old Piano Adventure, the saloon sound” has received almost 650,000 views. Initially, I thought it was the worst music video I had ever made and posted on YouTube, just for fun. I guess it goes to show that you never know what folks will like, or not like, or find entertaining.

Thing is, I had one guy to send me an email offering me $3500 for the old Schiller upright (which I paid $75 for)… I sold it for $100 about a year after I got it to an elderly gentleman who was thrilled with it… guess I didn’t realize what a jewel I had. smile

Anyway, I’m glad the music video helped to put a smile on lots of faces... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately Youtube is a pleasure which is denied me here. It is blocked!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission