2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2251782 03/25/14 07:25 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
What if an adult wants to go back to school and achieve a music degree? even a more simple bachelor of arts in music... which one might be the biggest roadblock?

1) aural skills? ( no perfect pitch )
2) amount of pieces to prepare?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've taught in university music programs at undergrad and graduate levels where many of the students were adults. And I work with adult students now. But outside of higher education.

Really, the willingness to learn is the only pre-requisite needed for study in music. That said, advice I often gave to prospective adult students was to look at why they wanted to be in a degree program. Is formal study towards a degree the best way to their goals? For some the answer is yes. For others it's no. The only way to get to the answer is through discussion. And for some the answer doesn't quite match to yes or no. It just depends on circumstance and a lot of other stuff ...

You could contact the programs in which you think you might want to study. You can go through the admissions office for the formal package they send to every prospective student. Or look on music department web sites. Send informal emails to faculty. Briefly explain your goals and see how they respond. One way to know you've found a potentially fit is because whoever you're corresponding with someone who seems interested in having you there.

You'll probably find some music department accommodate a wide range of learning approaches with faculty interested in many music styles and genres. Some departments are the opposite. So finding the program that fits is the key. Which is something everyone and not just adult students need to do.

Or you could find a teacher in your area who can really guide you in all this. Perhaps help you to prepare to enter a degree program. Or perhaps they'll suggest other paths they think might work as well or better.

If you want to send me a PM with more more specific details about what you're looking for or hoping to do feel free to do so.

Hope this helps.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ataru074
What if an adult wants to go back to school and achieve a music degree? even a more simple bachelor of arts in music... which one might be the biggest roadblock?

1) aural skills? ( no perfect pitch )
2) amount of pieces to prepare?

You don't need perfect pitch to get a music degree, just the ability to recognize simple intervals and hear chord changes, which just about anybody can learn.

Totally unrelated to your question, but relevant, the state of Georgia, USA has a free tuition program for seniors. I don't know it you can get a degree that way, but you can take lots of classes. I plan to take advantage of it soon...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
... the state of Georgia, USA has a free tuition program for seniors. I don't know it you can get a degree that way, but you can take lots of classes. I plan to take advantage of it soon...

Sam

This is a great idea! I would love to go back for a music degree as well. The schools here are not geared that way, so I am settling for the ABRSM exams. It adds some structure to the learning process, and my teacher's approach to teaching me changed from casual to very serious.

If you have the opportunity to go to school for a music degree, by all means do it!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
At least for me... I'm not yet 40.. I think technically I'm doing pretty good to be an adult re-starter... and I'd like to broaden my horizon.
1) learn other music related "stuff"... history, harmony, maybe teaching...
2) had a chance to interact with other musicians
3) ensemble playing
4) maybe approach another instrument too...

I'm just curious a lot and I think academic life can help.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
The time commitment, money required, and the advanced repertoire required to be learned to a professional standard with which to audition live before gaining admission to a university's music program are the biggest barriers to entry.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Update of the day. I did interview, and started lessons with my future college professor. Audition date feb 2015, college will start in fall 2015.
We did click right away and he warned me about the sheer amount of work required to go through the BM but he thinks I shouldn't have any issue with the audition unless I totally freeze.

:-)

It's a good day.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ataru! That's so exciting!!! Good luck, and please post updates every now and then so we live vicariously through you hear how things are going. grin

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hooray Ataru!!

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
I think the only road block is a financial one. Once that's taken care of, there is no reason why you wouldn't succeed if you're willing to do the work. Good luck!

C
C
Congratulations Ataru!

I was wondering what aspects of a second bachelor's in music are changed for a returning adult. (Like I'm assuming that you won't need to take most or all of the non-music related courses.) Will the program still take 4 years?

I ended up getting a second bachelor's years ago in computer science, which only took 2 years.

But comparing a mostly knowledge based computer degree (where it was easy to cram courses in), to a knowledge + experience (like playing with ensembles) music degree would mean that even if you wanted to to, the music degree would take longer to complete.

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Carlos. this for me would be the first bachelor. I drop off civil engineering to get a nice job in the energy industry Loooooooong time ago. I do have about 2 and 1/2 years of class taken and transcripts, but not everything will apply.
I expect it to take the whole length and maybe some considering I'm not anymore a young stud able to learn like a sponge :D, but, on the other hand, I have a pretty decent professional network and few companies already offered me a flexible part time job, that I will gladly accept keeping it as "plan B".

the first "update" is the sheer amount of repertoire the I got assigned in lesson "zero".. still missing stuff to sight read from bartok microcosms 4, an etude from the gradus ad parnassum and a moskowski etude.

Last edited by Ataru074; 06/09/14 06:31 AM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Wow! Good for you, that's a really exciting plan. You seem to be approaching it with a great structure and attitude, I am sure you will do well!

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission