2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I'm wondering what a good price for a "gently used" Casio Privia PX-720 digital piano would be?
I'm very new to the piano scene, and I've found a 720R for sale. It looks like it's in very good condition, but the seller is asking for $450. As I said, I'm new to all this, but from what research I've done, it seems like a piano that old, which sold for $700 or $800 new, wouldn't be worth that much now.
I don't want to seem like a fool by offering too little, but I don't want to pay too much. Can anyone suggest a good price for me to start with, and possibly a maximum price (I'm definitely up for haggling)? Also, I would be going to look at it before I made any commitment to purchase. Thank you in advance.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Seeing as how you can get a brand new Casio Px-150, which has triple sensors, a better action, and better sound, greater polyphony for $500, spending $450 for the 720 doesn't seem quite right. I'd offer $300, but if he doesn't take it, buy the new Casio PX-150. It's unfortunate, but Casio has changed a lot since the 720 model and so he cannot expect to get even half of what he paid 5 or 6 years ago because of what's out there now.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Seeing as how you can get a brand new Casio Px-150, which has triple sensors, a better action, and better sound, greater polyphony for $500, spending $450 for the 720 doesn't seem quite right. I'd offer $300, but if he doesn't take it, buy the new Casio PX-150. It's unfortunate, but Casio has changed a lot since the 720 model and so he cannot expect to get even half of what he paid 5 or 6 years ago because of what's out there now.

I'd agree, the PX-150 is a lot of piano for not a lot of money.

Like a few of the lower ranges of Casios, the sound / power output isn't overwhelming, but the action and Concert Grand Piano sound are very decent.

I weighed up a similar decision recently, because I wanted to get something budget, yet decent, to replace a keyboard I have in an upstairs room. Ageing - albeit perhaps decent in their time - digital pianos still seemed to being advertised at quite expectant prices, whereas decent, albeit budget, entry level digital pianos are relatively cheap.

The action and sound from Casio's pianos like the PX-150 is changing the game a bit at that segment of the market (in terms of prices).

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you for the replies! I offered $300, but I don't think they're going to take it, so I'll keep shopping. It's so overwhelming being a complete novice and trying to decide which piano to buy!
I know there are many threads on this, but if anyone has any suggestions of a good starter piano (apart from the PX150, which I'll definitely look into), I'd love to hear them.
On a similar note, I see Best Buy has a Casio PX135 including stand, three pedals, and adapter, for $500. It has overwhelmingly positive reviews. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? I'm not set on getting a Casio, they just seem to keep popping up :P

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by PianoPiayes
Thank you for the replies! I offered $300, but I don't think they're going to take it, so I'll keep shopping. It's so overwhelming being a complete novice and trying to decide which piano to buy!
I know there are many threads on this, but if anyone has any suggestions of a good starter piano (apart from the PX150, which I'll definitely look into), I'd love to hear them.
On a similar note, I see Best Buy has a Casio PX135 including stand, three pedals, and adapter, for $500. It has overwhelmingly positive reviews. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? I'm not set on getting a Casio, they just seem to keep popping up :P

If you're going for a Casio, at that sort of price range, get the PX-150 - it should be much the same price, and notable improved over the earlier PX-135.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I agree with previous opinions:

. . . If you can afford it, get the PX-150.

The improvement in keyboard action, and sound, is worth the difference in price between it, and previous Casio DP's.

There's a comparison video you might find intriguing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGG1GwWGhBA

The PX-350 has the same keyboard and sound generator (for piano) as the PX-150. The PX-330 is "previous generation".

. Charles

PS -- bias -- I own a PX-350.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 06/11/14 05:24 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
P
OP Offline
P
I'll add the PX-150 to my list of candidates to play around with in a store before I buy. I like the PX-350 as well, but with the stand, headphones, pedal, and whatever else I would need, that's unfortunately outside of my budget.
Like I said, I'm not solely focusing on Casios. I'll probably post my list of potentials before I make the purchase and see what the community feels about my choices. Thank you again for the help, everyone.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission