Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
98 registered (AnimistFvR, Anita Potter, 36251, Anne'sson, acoxcae, 39 invisible), 1480 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2288511 - 06/11/14 12:35 PM Kawai KG-2E (progress: Tech inspection)
JZ2014 Offline

We went to see the piano yesterday. It was quite a long drive. My son liked it. We think it is in good condition. Now we need to find a tech to inspect it thoroughly before the final purchase.

One question, should I with the tech while he is doing the inspection, or he can just go alone?

===========================================

Thank you all for previous suggestions. We went to a piano dealer last weekend and tested several Yamaha. True, GB-1Ks are too small. We were kind of disappointed that several bigger ones didn't sound nicely either. After playing on them, my son voted for a new GC2 or an old Baldwin.

Don't know why, we like the sound from the Baldwin better than other pianos in the shop. Maybe because we are having an old upright Baldwin.

Going to check a Kawai KG-2E from an owner this weekend. Any suggestion or comments on this category?

Also, no clue about piano shipping or delivery. How much is it going to be about 80 miles?

Thanks!

Edited by JZ2014 (06/16/14 11:27 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2288551 - 06/11/14 01:41 PM Re: Kawai KG-2E [Re: JZ2014]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I have an older Howard, made by Kawai (Kawai model 550, equivalent of the Kawai KG2 5'10") and I really like it. It has a nice, mollowish tone with a clean and clear upper treble. It has a medium heavy key-touch, which I like as well... a nice piano.

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Rick

#2288565 - 06/11/14 02:20 PM Re: Kawai KG-2E [Re: JZ2014]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
This particular Kawai grand piano model is an excellent piano. As Rick has indicated, it is a 5'10" piano and was built when the company was under the direction of Shigeru Kawai, a "Golden Age" if you like in the production of Kawai pianos.

Of course the KG-2E piano which you intend to see is an unknown entity and as I have said before, everything depends on the condition of the piano. Its condition is the summation of its history of care including the environment in which it has been kept, its tuning and maintenance and the amount of playing and even the way in which it has been played. A piano which has been subjected to someone mercilessly pounding away at Rachmaninov for hours a day will not be in the same condition as an instrument that has been played moderately.

That said, Kawai grand pianos do have a good reputation for being reliable "work horses".

It seems that the piano you are going to see is privately owned. Pianos should be tuned at least twice a year, but most private owners are slack in this regard and the piano you are going to audition may not be in tune which of course gives an immediate bad impression of the sound.

The negativity of the scenario I have described is not intended as a discouragement, but I hope that it can help you and guide you along the hazardous path of choosing a used piano. If a used piano appeals to you, have it checked by a technician before signing any deal.

All the best!
Robert.

Edited by Robert 45 (06/11/14 02:28 PM)

#2288971 - 06/12/14 04:39 PM Re: Kawai KG-2E [Re: Robert 45]
JZ2014 Offline

Thanks, Robert 45!
Going to see it this weekend. In the picture, it seems that this piano is kept next to the kitchen. Is it a bad sign?

#2289107 - 06/12/14 10:25 PM Re: Kawai KG-2E [Re: JZ2014]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
No,not necessarily. The very first Steinway piano was made in a kitchen!

Robert.

#2289156 - 06/13/14 12:46 AM Re: Kawai KG-2E [Re: Robert 45]
Grandman Offline

Loc: Usa
Originally Posted By: Robert 45
This particular Kawai grand piano model is an excellent piano. As Rick has indicated, it is a 5'10" piano and was built when the company was under the direction of Shigeru Kawai, a "Golden Age" if you like in the production of Kawai pianos.

Of course the KG-2E piano which you intend to see is an unknown entity and as I have said before, everything depends on the condition of the piano. Its condition is the summation of its history of care including the environment in which it has been kept, its tuning and maintenance and the amount of playing and even the way in which it has been played. A piano which has been subjected to someone mercilessly pounding away at Rachmaninov for hours a day will not be in the same condition as an instrument that has been played moderately.

That said, Kawai grand pianos do have a good reputation for being reliable "work horses".

It seems that the piano you are going to see is privately owned. Pianos should be tuned at least twice a year, but most private owners are slack in this regard and the piano you are going to audition may not be in tune which of course gives an immediate bad impression of the sound.

The negativity of the scenario I have described is not intended as a discouragement, but I hope that it can help you and guide you along the hazardous path of choosing a used piano. If a used piano appeals to you, have it checked by a technician before signing any deal.

All the best!
Robert.

As always, good advice from Robert.

#2290453 - 06/16/14 11:29 AM Re: Kawai KG-2E [Re: JZ2014]
JZ2014 Offline

Edited my post, but it doesn't go to the most recent topic. So I post the progress and question here again:

We went to see the piano yesterday. It was quite a long drive. My son liked it. We think it is in good condition. Now we need to find a tech to inspect it thoroughly before the final purchase.

One question, should I with the tech while he is doing the inspection, or he can just go alone and let me know the result? Do I need a formal (legal) report, or just his words should be fine?

Thanks!

#2290471 - 06/16/14 11:59 AM Re: Kawai KG-2E [Re: JZ2014]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Since you have already tried, and liked, the piano, it is not important if you are there for the inspection.

Some techs provide a written report, often with a checklist, and others simply in a discussion with you. Remember you will be buying "as is" and you are getting the tech inspection for your own peace of mind. Other than the potential for further price negotiations, it has no legal bearing on the purchase. Do whichever you are comfortable with. Both a written copy and a verbal discussion would be the best.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2290523 - 06/16/14 01:55 PM Re: Kawai KG-2E [Re: Minnesota Marty]
JZ2014 Offline

Thanks!

#2290531 - 06/16/14 02:07 PM Re: Kawai KG-2E (progress: Tech inspection) [Re: JZ2014]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I've bought a few used pianos... I've never had one inspected by a technician because I felt comfortable enough with my own knowledge of pianos to make an informed judgment/purchase.

So far so good... I did miss seeing some small cracks in the treble bridge on one old upright I bought, but not a lot of money was involved.

The pianos I've purchased were mostly from private sellers. I made an appointment to look at the piano, discuss a final sales price, and, if acceptable, discuss details of the purchase. I prefer to offer earnest money, if necessary, to secure the sale and then make final payment to the seller when the movers show up to move the piano. Of course, the money changes hands before the movers touch the piano.

I would have to feel very comfortable with the seller to pay for the piano up-front pending the move/transport. Cash and carry, if you will.

To be honest, I think I like the thrill of the hunt as much as the prize catch. smile

Rick

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
11/28/14 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
11/28/14 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 07:55 PM
Request For The Pursuit Of Knowledge
by Louis Podesta
11/28/14 07:09 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159433 Topics
2342022 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission