Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
133 registered (anamnesis, Anne'sson, Alexander Borro, 48 invisible), 1762 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2288687 - 06/11/14 09:20 PM QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share?
Stubbie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
How many people lay claim to time on the piano on which you practice?

The piano I practice on is in our dining room, which is used as office space (no dining table in the room!). Mr. Stubbie plays the piano and practices most days for an hour or so, as do I. In general we're able to work around each other without having to actually make a schedule. He plays for a solid hour without a break; I take many breaks. Sometimes he has to ask if I'm still practicing. smile

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2288694 - 06/11/14 09:41 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
It's mine all mine!! Though it's right in our great room. Which is where the TV is, and our dining table, and our living room!!! It's where we live. So I try to practice in the afternoon and not in the evenings.

#2288707 - 06/11/14 10:21 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
Got it all to myself, the wife tinkers on it from time to time but no real practicing, She plays the violin. So yeah, mine....all mine
currently Alfreds book #1
Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2288718 - 06/11/14 10:42 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
There's just me and my shadow, as we say. I don't see how anyone could begin to put up with my practice habits, so it's a good thing.

Cathy

#2288753 - 06/12/14 12:38 AM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
dpaws Offline

Like dynamobt, my piano is in the back of our great room. But, it is all mine. I have to wait until the kids are asleep before I practice. Luckily, they are deep sleepers, so, I can play until 2am sometimes when I have the energy. No one else in my family is interested in playing. My wife is really great about putting up with my practicing. smile

Edited by dpaws (06/12/14 12:39 AM)

XXXV

#2288767 - 06/12/14 01:20 AM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I am allowing my music store to use my piano until such times as I win the lottery. Until that time I have my Yamaha P105 digital which is all mine, tucked away in a disused bedroom.

#2288789 - 06/12/14 04:34 AM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
I only have the one MOX (not really a piano but it does the job) it resides in the bedroom, which is unfortunately a shared room, but most days its empty and nobody else plays any instruments so most times I can get almost all day on it if I wanted smile

#2288801 - 06/12/14 06:54 AM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
jdw Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I share with my husband. He didn't play before, but was inspired to take lessons when we got the lovely grand piano. So he has been well rewarded for going along with my crazy idea!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2288810 - 06/12/14 08:05 AM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Brewer plays a little from time to time, aside from that I just have to share with 3 kitties who like to lounge about on the cover.

#2288926 - 06/12/14 02:34 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I share with my two granddaughters. They get unbelievable sounds out of my piano . . . .all at maximum volume - You wouldn`t believe 12W could be so &%^$$* loud!! And then they sing . . . .

""

#2289043 - 06/12/14 07:31 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: malkin]
Stubbie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: malkin
Brewer plays a little from time to time, aside from that I just have to share with 3 kitties who like to lounge about on the cover.

Before my last kitty passed away, she gave me *heck* (hmm, interesting alternate spelling) when I played the piano. Sheesh, I could hardly get a practice in. Worse than a grumbling family member. At least with a human, you stand a chance with reasoning, bargaining, or threatening. But a cat--no dice. grin

#2289052 - 06/12/14 07:50 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
I have the piano to myself. My wife tried it at first, but didn't continue. Our cat won't even jump up onto it.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2289055 - 06/12/14 07:57 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I like my digital. I can take it to any room in my house and play it anytime of the night without bothering others.

#2289085 - 06/12/14 09:31 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
lunobili Offline

Loc: Japan
I share it mostly with my daughter.

Actually, it is thank to her that I finally decided to take piano lessons. Now, not only we share the same piano, but we also share the same school, albeit having different teachers and lessons.

My wife is actually the best pianist of the family (five years as a kid, but at that time not enjoying it very much), but she does not seem to have the right mindset to practice with constancy as my daughter and myself are doing. She is although seeing myself progressing and finding it a motivation to practice a bit.

My daughter and my wife play in the afternoon and I play after dinner with headphones. So far this arrangement worked quite well.

#2289264 - 06/13/14 08:54 AM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
I can usually get one or two tunes in before Callie comes to share/assist.

Callie appears at 00:42 seconds. Oh yes, she takes middle C on up when I/we play piano too.

Edited by Farmerjones (06/13/14 08:58 AM)

#2289279 - 06/13/14 09:53 AM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
musicalinfinity Offline

Loc: Singapore
It's all mine and noone in my family plays! It's really old and out of tune and according to the piano tuner its not worth tuning it as it is really old and in poor condition. frown (I'm still using it for now until I move to a new place.)

Unfortunately, an out of tune acoustic in the living room can cause quite some disturbance in my home so no practicing late at night.

#2289294 - 06/13/14 11:05 AM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I like your music Farmerjones, and it was cool that Callie made you smile laugh

Cathy

#2289318 - 06/13/14 12:03 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Hey, Farmer Jones, the only thing I didn't like about that performance is that you didn't sing!

Callie's grooming suggests she feels the same way. What a great tool for rehearsing keeping your composure in a live performance!

#2289322 - 06/13/14 12:17 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: earlofmar]
barbaram Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
I am allowing my music store to use my piano until such times as I win the lottery.

What a coincidence, me too :-)

I share with my daughters and sort of with my son (he's 4.5 and not taking lessons, but likes to mess around on it). The girls are not very disciplined about practicing/I'm not very disciplined about getting them to, so often me sitting down to practice becomes the trigger for someone else deciding that *they* want to practice.

#2289323 - 06/13/14 12:18 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
Hehehe, Callie: *poke* *poke* *poke*

Edited by UKIkarus (06/13/14 12:19 PM)

#2289372 - 06/13/14 03:23 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Stubbie
How many people lay claim to time on the piano on which you practice?

The last time I had a piano to play was in college. Practice room rules: 1 hr at a time. I used to break that rule daily. I just put a note on the door: if you want the room, knock.

Since then, I've had a keyboard, which I suppose I share with the weather. When it's humid, some of the keys stick, so I really can only play it when it's dry, and when I'm actually home (work travel).

#2289373 - 06/13/14 03:23 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
MINE! A few years back I did share with my daughter, but since then I upgraded to a grand, she moved out, married, got her own home, and was gifted the "spare" console piano we used to share.

Although, now that I think about it, our dogs seem to think that it might be partially theirs as they like to den up under it and both come into the room when I practice.

I do have to share the airspace with the family room, and TV, which is the reason I begged the kids to gift their father with wireless headphones for Father's Day this year! (I'm really looking forward to that...)

#2289377 - 06/13/14 03:30 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: JeanieA]
Pianistinero Offline

Hi I have my own Baby Grand Young Chang Bergmann LOVE TI TKS

#2289403 - 06/13/14 05:21 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
Stubbie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow, most people (at least those responding to the thread) have the piano to themselves. The way I figure it, with two of us playing every day, we'll wear the piano (a DP) out more quickly and, gosh, we'll have to replace it with a small grand. grin

Farmer Jones, awwww. A kneading kitty is a happy kitty. Does she purr while she's doing it?

#2289418 - 06/13/14 06:36 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Stubbie--I think you should get the small grand now to save wear and tear on the DP! wink

#2289459 - 06/13/14 09:18 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: malkin]
Stubbie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: malkin
Stubbie--I think you should get the small grand now to save wear and tear on the DP! wink

Why didn't I think of that! Great idea!

#2289462 - 06/13/14 09:20 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Derulux]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Derulux
The last time I had a piano to play was in college. Practice room rules: 1 hr at a time.

And how much time in between? wink

Polyphonist

#2289495 - 06/13/14 11:52 PM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Polyphonist]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Originally Posted By: Derulux
The last time I had a piano to play was in college. Practice room rules: 1 hr at a time.

And how much time in between? wink

hahaha I definitely should have used that one.. grin

#2289546 - 06/14/14 07:22 AM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
jamie_vt Offline

Loc: Hampshire, UK
My 9 year old has just started to take lessons so we are just starting to share, not too much issue yet as his practice is only 5-15 mins after school and mine tends to be 5-90 mins after 11pm.

He has however told me that he will stop taking lessons after he is better than I am, hows that for incentive!

#2289570 - 06/14/14 10:02 AM Re: QOTW: Do you have your piano to yourself or share? [Re: Stubbie]
Marinelife Offline

Loc: DC/Maryland
Mine! Except when the kids start fooling around with it instead of practicing their own instruments. Eventually it will suck them in... smirk

Actually, I would love to get my mother-in-law down here to show them how it's done...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations - Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
12/20/14 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
12/20/14 01:37 PM
5 adjacent dead keys
by levendig
12/20/14 01:18 PM
Like Someone In Love - a rhythmic approach
by marcuslchoi
12/20/14 12:43 PM
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Forum Stats
77372 Members
42 Forums
160016 Topics
2349868 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission