2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Wouter D'hoye
Hi,

i'm considering the purchase of a Bose L1 compact system to use as monitor and maybe some day for stage perfomance. Now the bose system is mono and I read here an there that misxing a stero signal to a mono signal can have undesirable side effects. Now the ES7 appears to also have a mono output. How well would that work with a mono system like a Bose L1? Anubody hare who has experiance in this regards or can give me good advice?

I use a Bose L1 system (the full one, with one bass module, not the compact) with a Kawai ES4, and I find it works great. When I was looking, I was able to set up my keyboard between the Bose Compact and the full L1 at a Guitar Center, and toggle back and forth... and I really liked the sound of the larger one better, though the compact system was quite decent. You're going to hear stereo from the piano's speakers no matter what. I use one 1/4 cord from the L/Mono output to go to the Bose, and the Kawai combines the two channels for stereo. You can also run stereo to the Bose, and it will combine them there; but the Bose is a mono source (which is really more appropriate for any venue larger than a small room anyway).

The larger ones can often be found used for around $1000. And you have four channels (two line level, two with mic preamps), so I've often run vocals and a fiddle through the same unit as well for St Pat's Day gigs and square dances.

Good luck!

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
On page 26, under effects, the ES7 manual states "Pressing the ^ and v VALUE buttons simultaneously alternates the speed of the rotary simulation between "Slow" and "Fast" effect modes."

I found that doing that changes the sound from whatever you're playing to Concert Grand.

After experimenting, it turns out that to alternate the rotary effect speed, you need to press both ^ and v MENU buttons, not VALUE buttons.

Anyway, if anyone else runs into this problem, that may be the solution.

Rodney Sauer
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
On page 26, under effects, the ES7 manual states "Pressing the ^ and v VALUE buttons simultaneously alternates the speed of the rotary simulation between "Slow" and "Fast" effect modes."

I found that doing that changes the sound from whatever you're playing to Concert Grand.

After experimenting, it turns out that to alternate the rotary effect speed, you need to press both ^ and v MENU buttons, not VALUE buttons.

Anyway, if anyone else runs into this problem, that may be the solution.

Thank you ColoRodney.

This was an error in the original version of the ES7 owner's manual, but fixed in subsequent versions.

[Linked Image]

The latest version of the ES7 owner's manual PDF can be downloaded from the Kawai Japan support pages below:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/manuals.html

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Oh! Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, when I searched for "Kawai ES7 Manual" on Google, it took me to this manual, which has the same mistake:

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/ES7/OM/ES7_EN_20120308.pdf

Maybe the revised manual should be put on the kawaius.com site as well as the main Japan site.

Rodney Sauer
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
Maybe the revised manual should be put on the kawaius.com site as well as the main Japan site.

I agree. I'll send another request to the folks at Kawai America on Monday.

Cheers,
James
x

mabraman #2338912 10/18/14 09:38 PM
K
K
It seems this thread has been quiet for a little while, so I just wanted to say 'Hello' as a new ES7 user. I've only had mine for a week, so 'we' are still getting acquainted. smile

Six years ago (at age 55) I decided it was time to pursue my dream of learning the piano. I have never regretted taking the plunge. I started with a Kimball console, then upgraded to a Yamaha U3 last year. However, occasionally I practice early in the morning or later in the evening...so a DP comes in handy.

I look forward to reading the earlier posts and learning how to get the most out of the ES7.

Yamaha U3
Kawai ES7
Kubla #2338946 10/19/14 02:45 AM
Originally Posted by Kubla
It seems this thread has been quiet for a little while, so I just wanted to say 'Hello' as a new ES7 user. I've only had mine for a week, so 'we' are still getting acquainted. smile

Six years ago (at age 55) I decided it was time to pursue my dream of learning the piano. I have never regretted taking the plunge. I started with a Kimball console, then upgraded to a Yamaha U3 last year. However, occasionally I practice early in the morning or later in the evening...so a DP comes in handy.

I look forward to reading the earlier posts and learning how to get the most out of the ES7.

The comparison between your es7 and the ysg 635 would be interesting. I use Yamaha's Dgx650 (had the 630) and the es7 was a contender at the time. But in the shop, you never really get to hear these at their best.. . Also the DP and acoustic comparison! Maybe well get to hear you over at Adult Beginners. . .Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2338993 10/19/14 07:11 AM
K
K
Originally Posted by peterws
The comparison between your es7 and the ysg 635 would be interesting. I use Yamaha's Dgx650 (had the 630) and the es7 was a contender at the time. But in the shop, you never really get to hear these at their best.. . Also the DP and acoustic comparison! Maybe well get to hear you over at Adult Beginners. . .Have fun!

Peterws, the first differences were more realistic key weight, the ivory touch of the Kawai, and speaker strength. I'm just beginning to tweak the piano tones, but even out of the box I was impressed with the ES7. The YPG 635 has plenty of capabilities of its own and more voices than the Kawai, but I didn't find many of them to be useful to me. It was a good choice for a first DP and has served me well-but as my skills developed, I wanted my DP practice to more closely resemble the sessions on my acoustic.

As for the U3, it was a tough decision between this particular piano and a reconditioned Kawai professional upright. I would have been happy with either. This U3 just happened to have the mellow tone that I favor.

Yamaha U3
Kawai ES7
mabraman #2356453 11/30/14 07:34 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Well, it's almost 2 years since I bought my ES7. Next 12/27 the warranty will expire.
So I thought it was an ideal moment to come back to weird tones and such things, just in case...
I've recorded a couple of tracks where I just play black keys in the fifth octave (above c5). My goal was to demonstrate that g#5 has a weird decay, shorter than adjacent notes, plus a strange noise, some electronic thing, toy-like.
To my surprise, I've discovered that when I record them...well, I guess it's better not to describe it. Judge it by yourselves:
(Clarification: Sounds are in default mode, reverb off, +3 gain and then amplified up to -2,5 db using Audacity, usb recording exported into flac)

Studio Grand 1
https://soundcloud.com/mabraman/wudio-001

Concert Grand 1
https://soundcloud.com/mabraman/weird-001

A lemon?

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
mabraman #2356633 11/30/14 03:14 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mabraman
Well, it's almost 2 years since I bought my ES7. Next 12/27 the warranty will expire.
So I thought it was an ideal moment to come back to weird tones and such things, just in case...
I've recorded a couple of tracks where I just play black keys in the fifth octave (above c5). My goal was to demonstrate that g#5 has a weird decay, shorter than adjacent notes, plus a strange noise, some electronic thing, toy-like.
To my surprise, I've discovered that when I record them...well, I guess it's better not to describe it. Judge it by yourselves:
(Clarification: Sounds are in default mode, reverb off, +3 gain and then amplified up to -2,5 db using Audacity, usb recording exported into flac)

Studio Grand 1

Concert Grand 1

A lemon?

Well, the things you have mentioned can all be the result of a number of different ways the user is striking / holding the keys, etc ...

I would just ask you ... Are you bothered by these "imperfections" as you play ?

If so, explain it to the seller and/or the manufacturer and see what they will do for you ?

If not, forget it and enjoy playing it.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
mabraman #2356649 11/30/14 04:03 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for the listening, Don. Obviously, this affects my enjoyment.
Does your ES7 make the same sound? Could you please record those same notes for me to compare?

I must say that keys where played smoothly, in the piano or mezzopiano dynamic.
When you play them stronger, the weird decay is not noticeable, but the sound is not the same than in the rest of the instrument, it seems a toy.

Nothing to do with the player, nor the settings.

Don't you hear it buzzing? Do you really believe this is a characteristic of its sound? Really? Hard to believe.

I beg other users to record something similar. Black notes from c#5 on. Smooth and then normal, in order to compare.
Thanks in advance.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
mabraman #2356659 11/30/14 04:23 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
I share the files here, maybe someone could show the waveforms or something.I'm trying to make them big enough with no success.
I really didn't expect that buzzing when I made the recording. But listening to the test via the piano sound system (so before I amplified it) it was already there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2amIeYfwGQsZEVYWGxJZmdiaFU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2amIeYfwGQsb3Zid3VJYllxQmc/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by mabraman; 11/30/14 07:44 PM. Reason: faults

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
mabraman #2356724 11/30/14 07:41 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks for the listening, Don. Obviously, this affects my enjoyment.
Does your ES7 make the same sound? Could you please record those same notes for me to compare?

I am not really set-up to record stuff like that.

Besides that, nothing we do or say here will have any affect on your enjoyment of your sound.

If you are unhappy with it, bring that to the attention of the seller or manufacturer. In the end, they are the ones you are going to have to convince that you have a "Lemon".

OR ... sell it and buy something else.

Those are pretty much your options.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
mabraman #2356731 11/30/14 07:58 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm not trying to convince anyone about anything, but asking for another ears to listen to the tracks. Besides, I thought that maybe some other users of this same equipment would be kind enough so as to make some comparison. Perhaps it's not just my unit, who knows.
I see you won't.
I've been paying attention to my studies more than to any noise or strange tone, last year. But now warranty is about to expire, so I retake this issue.
Well, I'll post any news after I get it checked.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That definitely sounds a bit weird in your clip of the Studio Grand. It's not just on G# but I can hear the kind of metallic scraping sound like a violin playing in all the decays in your sound clip. You said you didn't notice it on the other notes while playing, so I wonder if it's an artifact that has crept in somehow (adding gain, converting to MP3...)? Do you hear it direct from the piano when you listen carefully? I assume you recorded and uploaded to Soundclound in WAV format, though I think the playback over the web is compressed.

I tried it on my CA95 and I don't get those scraping noises, but G#5 on the Studio Grand does have a weird buzzy decay, which I'm going to chalk up to string resonance (on the acoustic, not the digital after-effect) and inconsistent sampling. Here, I uploaded it to Soundcloud.

One funny thing I noticed was that a lot of the keys for the Studio Grand in the upper register use the Concert Grand sample from a semitone below. Try G5 on Concert Grand and it should be the same as your problematic G#5 on the Studio Grand. Another clear example is A6 on the Studio Grand, which lacks the percussive resonance in the attack that you have on the Concert Grand A6, but play A#6 on the Studio Grand and it's there, because it's the same sample as A6 from the Concert.

Honestly you're opening a can of worms if you listen too closely to the notes. I just noticed a whole bunch of weirdnesses about those upper notes (particularly around string resonance in the samples, and abrupt cutoffs in the decay). The samples aren't the best if you are a stickler for detail, but I think the overall effect when you play is OK.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by lolatu
Honestly you're opening a can of worms if you listen too closely to the notes.

BINGO !

These sounds come from sampling sounds from acoustic pianos. By their very nature they will not all have identical characteristics. They take samples in hopes of getting some sort of an average sound for a specific type of keypress. If they re-did the sampling process they would have similar but different results. So, I do not think we can hold them to some sort of ear test of perfection. They do the best they can and it is what it is.

Don

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To be fair I think what mambraman was asking was whether there is something wrong with his unit specifically, which is a very valid concern.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks Lolatu. It's clear now that one basic sample is common to every Kawai, from CN series to CS. Nothing new.
Don, let me say that you are one of those you ask for potatoes and gives you onions. Are you reading the posts you answer to? Lolatu got it at first sight.
The problem with that awful decay is less evident when you play, BUT IT'S DEFINETLY THERE, all the time, as a wave of tiny electronic buzzings, rings and the like. It's not a characteristic, it's a mistake. If this was not just my unit,I would say one of the characteristics of Kawai sample is that it's horrible in the fifth octave.You can hear it when you play, and it will ruin any recording.
When you record it (wav) is even more noticeable. I linked Audacity files in order to anyone could see the waveforms and how stereo channels work (I'm not familiar with such things, but one channel is clearly different to the other during the decay, and there is something abrupt happening).
With regards to obssessive listening of single notes...well, when you play and try to make a note sing, you need to listen carefully to it. Those who advice not to do this...are really trying to make music? I understand, now, how delighted you are with your ES7.

Last edited by mabraman; 12/01/14 04:51 AM.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
mabraman #2356831 12/01/14 05:28 AM

Studio Grand 1

Concert Grand 1

I have listened to these recordings and can certainly hear 'something' in the decay of the note. However, I wonder how much this is influenced by the gain +3 control, in addition to the amplification in Audacity, then exporting, then uploading to SoundCloud where the file is re-encoded to 128 kbit MP3.

I made a quick recording of the Concert Grand playing the same notes - I have not used the gain setting or amplified the volume, etc. - do you still hear the same characteristic? If not, I would also suggest you try recording and listening to the note without any additional adjustments, to see if any of the processing stages you are performing are introducing noises and adversely affecting the sound.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cftftncub6z3o0d/Concert%20Grand_ES7.wav?dl=0

I also tried downloading the other files you provided, but these appear to be Audacity Project files (small XML/text files) and do not include any wave data.

If you have any concerns, my recommendation would be to raise them with your dealer and/or local distributor.

Kind regards,
James
x

mabraman #2356834 12/01/14 06:04 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for your attention James. I thought .au files would content some audio, now I know they only save one project's parametres. Anyway, the audio files could be downloaded from Soundcloud and run into Audacity, if anyone is interested.
The buzzing weird decay on g#5 is always present, it's independent from any setting or recording procedure, though I agree it's the first time I've heard such a buzzy decay in the wole scale. I'll give it another go today if I can.
With regards to the gain, should I remember you that in the last software update the gain was set by default at higher values? Mine is lower than default, now.
I guess if your technicians set a higher gain level they must have tested it.
Amplification is to -2,5 db. Low enough so as to avoid any distortion (well, so I thought).
Yours sound better and cleaner to my ears, nothing to complain about.
Mine does sound worse at any time. It's not a matter of settings, though some settings may mask the deffective sounds.
By the way, I remark that it's in the pp to mp range where it shows more. If you play with decision, from mf on, is less evident, the harder you play.
In this case, the rocording is quite fidel to what I hear through headphones. It's also audible via speakers.
May I ask you how are you able to record so clearly without using the gain setting. Didn't you amplify the track after playing it, at all? I can't believe such volume in a non-amplified ES7 recording.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission