Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
68 registered (barbaram, Artur Gajewski, aimar, AZNpiano, 22 invisible), 1256 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2290242 - 06/15/14 11:18 PM Kawai MP7 - Quick Review
Musical Dan Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I've now had my Kawai MP7 for a few weeks, so I thought I'd share my impressions of it.

Piano Sounds
It seems there are 4 Piano sample sets included on the Kawai MP7, each with a number of variations. In addition to the variations, there are many ways you can vary the sound yourself, and customize to your liking.

Of the 4 Piano sample sets, there are really only 2 I use frequently (these two sound really good!). I use the Concert Grand 1 sound, which is really nice and clear, and particularly good for solo playing. I also use the Pop Piano sample, which is brighter and good for cutting through a mix. One of the variations of this is the Bright Pop Piano which should cut through heavier mixes yet again.
The other two sample included are a second Concert Grand Piano (which to me sounds like it probably is an older sample from an older Kawai DP - probably not HI-XL). The other sample is an upright, which actually sounds pretty realistic. Would be good for adding the honky tonk effect to, but I don't use it all that often.

Action
I don't really know how to describe the action. I love it, but you really need to try is yourself. It's of course graded hammer action with let off. The ivory touch is pleasant to feel under the fingers (not as rough as you find on say Roland Piano's for example). It also doesn't bottom out hard like did the CP4 for example.

Other Sounds
The EP's also sound amazing. I particularly like how editable they are, including the amp type, amount of over drive etc. You can get any EP sound you can think of that you have ever heard.

Also included are a host of drawbar tone-wheel organs, which you can also completely customize, including the drawbars themselves, percussive sounds, rotary speed, amp type etc. There are 12 different ToneWheel organs with different sounds you can do all this for.

There is also a host of other sounds, including bass, guitar, drums, strings, clavs, synths etc, which all sound pretty good for an instrument which is primarly devoted to keyboard type sounds.

Features and interface
There are four zones which you can split layer in any maner you like. (You can set the exact key range for all 4 zones). These zones can also be set to control external sounds (eg midi devices), but I have not used this feature yet.

You can change sounds on the fly. The four knobs are cleverly placed around the screen (so you can easily see what you are adjusting, and how much), and you can assign these to adjust any parameters you like.

You can also record and play songs to/from USB.

Headphone Jack and USB port both at front which is handy. (I don't know why this isn't standard on all stage pianos)

You can of course save your own settings for quick recollection.

2 Mod Wheels on top (rather than to the side), which keeps the keyboard width not too long (*cough - roland*)

Digging deeper into anything is easy - withought having to go through multiple menus. Simply hold the button relating to what you want to do for a few seconds (eg, changing the reverb effect, hold sound the reverb button, will allow you to change the different paramaters (type, depth etc) on that reverb.)

Edited by Musical Dan (06/15/14 11:23 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2290252 - 06/16/14 12:11 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
petes1 Offline

Thanks for the information! It sounds like a truly great keyboard. A few questions if I might:

1. Have you compared it to any other current stage pianos? In particular, are there any pro's and con's of this board vs. say the Roland RD 800? I know that keyboard preference is a highly personal matter, that what I'm asking is not something that can be quantified, but rather a personal gestalt, and so if you don't feel comfortable answering this, I understand completely.
2. Is there a way of quickly increasing the "presence" of the sound while playing it? What I mean, is if you're playing background in a gig, and then need to solo, is there a single button that can be pressed that will allow your sound to cut through the band?
3. Have you played with the Hammond B3 / Leslie sound? How would you rate it?

My problem: I have a bad case of GAS, and am seriously considering either the MP7 or RD 800, and have not been able find either keyboard to try within 200 miles of me.

Thanks again for your insights!

Edited by petes1 (06/16/14 12:27 AM)

#2290309 - 06/16/14 03:33 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
lophiomys Online   content

Loc: Austria, EU
Hello Musical Dan,
Derived from my experience with my first MP7, I have a list of questions about yours.
a) Any clearly noticeable humming from power adapter, while monitor speakers are switched off?
b) Any thumping noise from the key bed/casing, when you hit a key?
c) Any artificial sounding noises in the pianos tones? What happens if you reduce "Stereo Witdh"?
d) For WAV Recordings onto USB, do you have a USB pen driver, onto which you can record without recording glitches. You have to listen to the recorded WAV, if there would be any recording errors. If yes, could you tell us the brand and model of your USB pen drive?
e) Was there any excessive smell of fumes from paint or plastics, lasting for more than a day after opening the box?

Hello PeteS1,
ad 1)
I have tried many and to me the MP7 was the best compromise of all factor, besides I like the looks.
The RD800, i felt, was not better in action compared to the MP7/RH2 and has too many features, I personally do not need. As my main interest is silent practice with good action in a small form factor, my favorite would have been an MP11 (with GF-action) including at least some organ sounds.

ad 2)
dont know.

ad 3)
I have listened a lot to original and live B3 with Leslie, and in my opinion the Drawbare mode in the MP7 is a good sound for the price. Also the drawbar handling on the interface is kind of OK. If you compare the Leslie/Rotary sim of the MP7 to the sound of a Neo Vent (for a quarter of the price of the MP7) you hear the difference, especially switching rotary speed makes this evident.

Similar to you I had to drive 100 miles to a dealer to do all testing testing. In my case, I ended up with a combination of a partly faulty device and things I did not notice in the noisy showroom. I am still sticking with the MP7, and I am on the way to the dealer checking out a replacing unit, after he finally got one.
Next time I will order from an online store one by one, test in my own quiet environment and return what I do no like.

HTH

#2290342 - 06/16/14 06:24 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
petes1 Offline

@lophiomys: thanks for the info!

#2290398 - 06/16/14 09:12 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
@petes1: #2 is an interesting question. I don't own an MP7, but I do have an MP11 which has a lot of the same features. My guess would be that you could have present tow of the same sound with different EQ settings, one that you've tested with your band to work well in the background and another good for soloing, and then with a touch of a button switch back and forth between the two. I believe this is done in the SETUP menu, and you can have 208 individual setups (at least on the MP11 you can, I'm sure the MP7 is similar).

@lophiomys: FYI, I also had trouble with the USB recording wavs. I tried it on an ADATA 20 GB USB stick, and also one that Kraft gave with the bundle (I don't have the stick with me here to give you the brand), but it did work with my Kingston USB (4GB). I think the key is to use one with a smaller memory, brand name, and formatted on the DP.

@Musical Dan: Congrats on your purchase, sounds like you're pretty happy with it. Are you primarily using it for a home instrument, or will you be gigging with it? Have you tried any MIDI stuff, such as using it as a controller of another instrument or with a DAW?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2290411 - 06/16/14 09:48 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
EP Offline

Loc: USA
r.e. the USB recording - I also have an MP11, and have been recording in MP3 format, but I just tried the WAV recording and it worked without a hitch.
I have a 16 GB Sandisc USB drive, one of the tiny ones that only sticks out about 1/4 " from the front of the keyboard so you don't even know it's there.
I also have a Kingston 64 GB drive (also a micro-sized drive) that I have all my play-along files (Aebersold, etc.) in mp3's. I use the mp3 recording on this drive and can do overdubs of my playing over the play-alongs. I haven't tried wav recording on this drive.
Also on the regular recording, I noticed you evidently cannot do overdubs of wav files, only of mp3s.
I formatted the 16 GB Sandisc on the MP11 (only takes a few seconds). The Kingston 64 GB drive I just used it as it came, which was formatted in FAT32.
They are both USB 2.0 drives. I haven't tried a USB 3.0 drive - I don't know if it would make any difference.

OOPs, I take it back, you can overdub using WAV format - just tried it and it worked fine.

Edited by EP (06/16/14 10:01 AM)
Edit Reason: fix error

#2291485 - 06/18/14 06:44 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: petes1]
Musical Dan Offline

Originally Posted By: petes1
Thanks for the information! It sounds like a truly great keyboard. A few questions if I might:

1. Have you compared it to any other current stage pianos? In particular, are there any pro's and con's of this board vs. say the Roland RD 800? I know that keyboard preference is a highly personal matter, that what I'm asking is not something that can be quantified, but rather a personal gestalt, and so if you don't feel comfortable answering this, I understand completely.
2. Is there a way of quickly increasing the "presence" of the sound while playing it? What I mean, is if you're playing background in a gig, and then need to solo, is there a single button that can be pressed that will allow your sound to cut through the band?
3. Have you played with the Hammond B3 / Leslie sound? How would you rate it?

My problem: I have a bad case of GAS, and am seriously considering either the MP7 or RD 800, and have not been able find either keyboard to try within 200 miles of me.

Thanks again for your insights!

1. Yes - I've compared it to the Yamaha CP4, and Roland RD700NX (I haven't had a chnace to play an RD800).

I'm not a huge fan of the Roland Piano Sound anyway, nor am I a fan of having a joy-stick making the keyboard unnecessarily wide. The latest news about the power input isn't great either. On top of this, The Kawai is much cheaper than the RD800.

I actually think the CP4 sounds great, despite the fact that stretching is used, and there is no sympathetic resonance. I think the Kawai MP7 piano sounds are slightly better, and knowing there is no stretching makes me feel a lot better. (on previous instruments stretching is not immediately obvious to me, but I can hear it after a while). The CP4's main advantage IMO is that it is more lightweight.

2. Yes there is a way of increasing the presence. On the piano sounds the default Effect 1 that you can apply to instrument in the "Enhancer Filter".

3. I'm not the best the to judge organ sounds, but I can say they sound good to me.

I hope this helps you in your decision smile

#2291492 - 06/18/14 07:00 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: lophiomys]
Musical Dan Offline

Originally Posted By: lophiomys
Hello Musical Dan,
Derived from my experience with my first MP7, I have a list of questions about yours.
a) Any clearly noticeable humming from power adapter, while monitor speakers are switched off?
b) Any thumping noise from the key bed/casing, when you hit a key?
c) Any artificial sounding noises in the pianos tones? What happens if you reduce "Stereo Witdh"?
d) For WAV Recordings onto USB, do you have a USB pen driver, onto which you can record without recording glitches. You have to listen to the recorded WAV, if there would be any recording errors. If yes, could you tell us the brand and model of your USB pen drive?
e) Was there any excessive smell of fumes from paint or plastics, lasting for more than a day after opening the box?

a) No
b) No
c) Concert Grand 2 and it's varients sound a bit artificial. Reducing Stereo Width will probably get weird wave cancellation effects if you over do it.
d) I've only recorded MP3's onto USB so far. I've not had any trouble with this, - I'm using a SONY 8GB USB Drive.
e) No, there were never any smells even upon initially opening the box.

Dan

#2291496 - 06/18/14 07:16 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]

Thank you Musical Dan.
I have just picked up my replacement unit and will report in my original thread about my experiences as soon as I find some spare time.
LoPhi

#2291497 - 06/18/14 07:18 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Morodiene]
Musical Dan Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

@Musical Dan: Congrats on your purchase, sounds like you're pretty happy with it. Are you primarily using it for a home instrument, or will you be gigging with it? Have you tried any MIDI stuff, such as using it as a controller of another instrument or with a DAW?

Thanks Morodiene, I am very happy with it. I haven't taken it from home yet, but I plan on using it in church (right now I use the churches own RD700GX). I play at the odd wedding and have a few coming up that I plan use it for. I don't really gig (though I'd like to if I could find the time.)
So far the only MIDI i've used it pre-recorded midi files on USB, just to test it out. I could imagine having an unweighted midi-controller (with 9 sliders) would make a good pair for it - for organ (and synth?) sounds, as the MP7 already good draw-bar organ sounds built in. I don't think my wife will let me spend any more on musical instruments or equipment for a while though cry

Dan

#2291499 - 06/18/14 07:24 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: lophiomys]
Musical Dan Offline

No Worries LoPhi,

I hope you have better luck with your new model smile

Dan

#2291517 - 06/18/14 08:03 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
Musical Dan Offline

I put a few sample MP3 recordings I did here.

https://soundcloud.com/musicaldan/sets/sample-kawai-mp7-recordings

#2291752 - 06/18/14 06:10 PM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
petes1 Offline

Thanks for the information by answering my questions. And nice MP3's by the way! cool

#2350064 - 11/14/14 12:11 PM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
Skyscrapersax Offline

Hey Musical Dan -

Which of the K7's grand pianos is the one on your "All of Me"?

Thanks...

#2352843 - 11/20/14 04:36 PM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
Paul Mann Offline

I played:
the Kawai MP7 at home,
the Roland RD-800 at home,
the Yamaha CP4 at a store, and
the Kawai CP2 at a store (has GF action like the Kawai MP11).

Here is what I experienced (1 is best):

Piano Sounds:

1) Kawai MP7 & CP2 (very good, could not hear any looping).
2) Yamaha CP4 (good, could hear a little bit of looping and some worse stuff).
3) Roland RD-800 (not good, no looping but a boxy/muffled sound).

Action:

1) Kawai CP2/GF action (very good, light, fast and expressive).
2) Roland RD-800 (good, bouncy feel, I could play fast).
3) Kawai MP7/RH2 action (good, flat feel, I could play fast but missed some notes, I did not experiment with the "touch curve setting").
4) Yamaha CP4 (good, but hard to play softly).

Usability:

1) Kawai MP7 (very nice, mostly button pressing).
2) Roland RD-800 (good, too many menus and too much dial turning, seems way too complex, hundreds of settings, could not record the rhythm with the sounds).
3) Yamaha CP4 (not good).

I hope this helps those who are stilling evaluating digital pianos.
I am not sponsored by Kawai or anybody else. I'm an amateur composer and
performer (rarely). I had access to a Steinway 6-foot grand for 10 years
at my father's house.

#2352866 - 11/20/14 05:31 PM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Paul Mann]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Paul Mann

Piano Sounds:

1) Kawai MP7 & CP2 (very good, could not hear any looping).
2) Yamaha CP4 (good, could hear a little bit of looping and some worse stuff).
3) Roland RD-800 (not good, no looping but a boxy/muffled sound).

Hi Paul, I know sound can be very subjective, but just curious on how you based your opinion on sound. Was it via headphones, amp, or monitors? Also are the sounds you speak of just the default piano sounds without any adjusting? I find both CP4 and RD800 to sound fantastic with some editing. Especially my RD800 - anything but boxy and muffled. However, I admit Im not thrilled with the default APs out of-the-box on either board. A little adjusting goes a long way though to get the sound you want. As for Kawai, not sure about MP7, but my ES7 default sounds excellent via onboard speakers and/or headphones.

Also, what do you mean by "some worse stuff" on the CP4?

#2353072 - 11/21/14 05:36 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Paul Mann]
Skyscrapersax Offline

Paul -

What do you mean by "missed some notes" but "could still play fast" on the Kawai MP7?

I'm evaluating these same units, withe EP7 and the CP2 pinch hitting for the MP7 and the MP11.

I, too, found the Roland piano sound "muffled" in the store, but I didn't do any tweaking.

What comparisons can you make between the CP4 and the K7 electric pianos, especially the Rhodes?

Thanks,

- Jeff

#2353081 - 11/21/14 06:38 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
mabraman Online   content

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Well, I guess he meant some notes didn't sound at all when played. It happens that RH2 keybed has let-off simulation, and that its trigger point is higher than in other pianos. This causes some missed notes here and there, if you are not very precise and touch the key too slowly.
One trick is to set the touch to heavy or heavy+. This forces you to play a little harder on the key to get the same sound (though it will never be actually the same).
It's one of the things I don't like about RH2 and hope Kawai will be awared of that at some point.

#2353247 - 11/21/14 01:42 PM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
Skyscrapersax Offline

Which digital piano action would McCoy Tyner choose? smile

(by this I mean: which action would be the most capable of keeping up with playing a million notes per second....)

#2353316 - 11/21/14 03:51 PM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
Paul Mann Offline

I was talking about my experience with the Acoustic Piano sounds: Concert Grand, Bright Grand and Mello Grand. I was using AKG 240 headphones (I think that is the number), which cost $99 about 20 years ago and they sound much better than the Yamaha HS8 pair of speakers that I tried (and returned).

With the Roland RD-800, it did not have the ring, or clarity of the Kawai MP7.
The Roland sounded like it was in a box with the lid closed. Others have also
said this. I tried to change the settings for about 1 hour and I could not get
the real-piano sound that the Kawai MP7 has. The best AP sound for my taste was
the Bright Grand or the Concert Grand with the Note Character turned up 1 notch.

On the Kawai MP7, with my headphones, the Concert Grand and Bright Grand sounded
too bright for my taste and I preferred the Mellow Grand. I changed the action setting to heavy and heavy+, and light and light+, but the key action was still
not enabling fast play without missing some notes. The key action was harder to
get feedback from than the Roland RD-800 and the Kawai GF action.

On the Yamaha CP4, I think it was the CFX grand that had a few notes that sounded
kind of stretched or something and it was distasteful.

I found that I could play fast without missing notes on the Kawai GF action. Also
I was able to play softly and with expression on the GF action -- lighter than the
Roland RD-800 and preferable.

I don't have much interest in the other sounds, like Rhoads and DX7 which the Yamaha CP4 has.

The Electric Pianos on the Kawai MP7 were great. Also the Roland RD-800 had
great Electric Pianos.

If the Kawai MP11 had all the sounds of the MP7, I would buy it.
So now I'm kind of frustrated and not sure what to buy. I returned the Kawai
MP7 and the Roland RD-800.

Before those keyboards, I tried the Yamaha MOXF8. It's key action was kind of mushy, compared to the others and there was noticeable looping in a few of my favorite notes (D3,Eb3,E3).

#2353468 - 11/22/14 04:01 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]

Quote:
If the Kawai MP11 had all the sounds of the MP7, I would buy it.

same for me.
for the price i'd also expect immaculate production quality and
self adjusting faders for all the drawbars (similar to the Nord C2D).

regarding the MP7:
the Concert Grand is too bright for me too above C4, besides an extra ringing I notice on on F5#,
I remedied this by EQing it down and using older, "not so perfect speakers" (Adam A5).
With the headphones, I have, it is not avoidable.

Above the middle C (C4) I also notice a distinct mechanic "tock" noise recorded in the sample of the
"Concert Grand". Fallback noise is turned OFF.
I have also heard the very same same "tock" noise in some Kawai acoustic upright,
one of K2, K200 or K5 - I do not remember anymore, which one it was exaclty,
but definitely not with the Shigeru grand in the same show room (no ringing on F5# btw).

The Key Touch I changed from "Normal" to "Heavy" after practicing more frequently
on an really ancient grand piano by August Förster. Since then the MP7 appears too sensitive,
but I am sure this perception will change again after practicing on a more modern acoustic piano.

HTH

#2353769 - 11/22/14 11:42 PM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: lophiomys]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
...self adjusting faders for all the drawbars (similar to the Nord C2D).

Does the Nord C2D have mechanised drawbars (i.e. moving automatically when selecting a preset)?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2353829 - 11/23/14 06:07 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]

Could be,but I dont think so that the Nord C2D has this feature. I only tested it quickly while passing by.
Auto-moving faders would be a really coool and unique feature.

With the MP7 my experience was a bit annoying, when moving through different Setups/Presets
and the hardware faders (or turning knobs) would not represent the actual value.
If the fader is moved manually, then either the value jumps abruptly
or moving it has no effect until the value is matched an then moves again.
This way the interface just does not give you the correct visual feedback.

Also the last used metronome value is not remembered by the MP7.

#2354043 - 11/23/14 07:47 PM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: lophiomys]
9000 Post Club Member

Could be,but I dont think so that the Nord C2D has this feature. I only tested it quickly while passing by.

My apologies, but isn't this ('auto-moving faders') what you were referring to in your criticism of the MP7?

With the MP7 my experience was a bit annoying, when moving through different Setups/Presets
and the hardware faders (or turning knobs) would not represent the actual value.

Yes, this is the correct behaviour (depending on the fader/knob settings in the SYSTEM menu). I'm afraid I cannot think of a better implementation, short of using auto-moving (mechanical) faders/knobs.

Also the last used metronome value is not remembered by the MP7.

May I ask you to clarify what you mean, please? Perhaps with a step-by-step account of what you're doing and what is/isn't changing as expected.

I know that the way metronome settings are stored/recalled when selecting SETUPs has been tweaked in the next software update, so these changes may also relate to what you're referring to.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2354146 - 11/24/14 02:36 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: lophiomys]
Maxpiano Offline

Loc: Italy

This way the interface just does not give you the correct visual feedback.

Ther are no DPs nor Organ clones or Workstations in the market that offer such a feature, so I wouldn't consider it an MP7 specific shortcoming and not all other products even offer the possibility to choose between "jump" and "catch" mode, so the MP7 is more advanced instead in this respect.

As of now I only remember the new Behringer Motor master keyboard which will have motorized faders (but the SW on the PC must be enabled to use them by sending all control changes out at every patch change)

#2354152 - 11/24/14 03:00 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]

Hello James,

Yes, I referred to "auto-moving faders" as a cool feature.

Metronome:
After changing from a Setup to a Sound and back the "Speed" value is reset for the Setup to
to the value it was in the Sound. I just re-checked, only if you touch the metronome values of a specific
Sound and Setup the values are remembered for those two, while the MP7 is not turned off.
After switching off the MP7 (v1.05) all the last used metronome settings are lost.

I'd recommend simply to store one last used setting for the metronome, as it would be for the mechanic device.

Have a nice Monday morning.

#2354156 - 11/24/14 03:25 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: lophiomys]
9000 Post Club Member

Hello lophiomys,

Okay, I see. But what did you mean by:

for the price i'd also expect...self adjusting faders for all the drawbars (similar to the Nord C2D).

To clarify, which feature of the Nord C2D would you expect on the MP7?

Metronome:
After changing from a Setup to a Sound and back the "Speed" value is reset for the Setup to to the value it was in the Sound.

Yes, I believe this is the correct behaviour. SOUND mode and SETUP mode have separate memories. I will double-check this point.

I just re-checked, only if you touch the metronome values of a specific Sound and Setup the values are remembered for those two, while the MP7 is not turned off. After switching off the MP7 (v1.05) all the last used metronome settings are lost.

I'm still not 100% sure what behaviour you are expecting.
Unless you store a parameter to the SOUND or SETUP memory, I believe any changes will indeed be lost when the power is turned off. This is normal.

I'd recommend simply to store one last used setting for the metronome, as it would be for the mechanic device.

Ah, so you would suggest that metronome settings are global, and not influenced by changing SETUPs? But what about users that wish to associate different metronome tempo/drum patterns with each SETUP?

My apologies if I am still not following you correctly. Again, perhaps you could provide a step-by-step process of what you're doing, what is happening, and what you'd expect/prefer to happen (and reason why)?

Have a nice Monday morning.

It's coming-up to 5:30pm here, but I appreciate the sentiment. wink

Thank you for the feedback.

Cheers,
James
x

#2354158 - 11/24/14 03:27 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Musical Dan]
9000 Post Club Member

In addition to the 'Jump' and 'Catch' modes for knobs/faders, I wonder if there would be any desire for an additional 'No Change' mode - i.e. changing SETUPs would always use the current knob/fader position, rather than recall the position at the time the SETUP was stored?

Cheers,
James
x

#2354169 - 11/24/14 04:09 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
In addition to the 'Jump' and 'Catch' modes for knobs/faders, I wonder if there would be any desire for an additional 'No Change' mode - i.e. changing SETUPs would always use the current knob/fader position, rather than recall the position at the time the SETUP was stored?

That might be very useful on occasions, if you don't want big jumps when operating faders, for example. And with the tendency towards oversensitivity of the controls, that could help tame that behaviour, also.

#2354170 - 11/24/14 04:12 AM Re: Kawai MP7 - Quick Review [Re: Kawai James]

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Hello lophiomys,

Okay, I see. But what did you mean by:

for the price i'd also expect...self adjusting faders for all the drawbars (similar to the Nord C2D).

To clarify, which feature of the Nord C2D would you expect on the MP7?

The comment you are referring to, was orginally related to a hypothetical "MP11 with all the sounds of an MP7",
which at least two customers would want to buy.
For this hypothetical and probably more expensive "MP11 with all the sounds of the MP7" or "MP7 MK II with GF",
I personally would also wish for more physical auto-moving drawbar faders, since the Nord C2D has many of them (not moving). This would improve the user experience dramatically, while switching through Sounds, Setups and drawbar presets. I also wished for immaculate quality in respect to the expected price tag of this hypothetical new instrument.

@Metronome:
In other words: a default metronome speed in a Sound is overwriting a user set speed in a Setup,
after switching from this Setup to a default Sound and back to this Setup agina.
e.g. switching between one modded piano Setup and whatever default Sound disturbs the current metronome setting of that very same Setup.
I would not bother to to write here, if it would not so annoying in daily practice.

You say specific drum patterns and metronome values can be stored with every Sound or Setup. This is good with me.
I think there are two related use cases:
1.) Using the metronome for practice and being annoyed, if the metronome values are lost or reset, after switching between a configured Setup and a default Sound. No storing involved here.
2.) Storing carefully selected drum patterns with a Setup or Sound.

I am only referring to 1).
What about remembering the last used metronome setting, for all Sounds and Setups, which do not explicitly have a drum pattern / metronome setting stored with them? I.e. automatically storing a global metronome setting for all Sounds and Setups that do not have a rhythm stored with them.

HTH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
11/27/14 04:18 AM
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
11/27/14 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159390 Topics
2341368 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission