Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2290436 - 06/16/14 10:39 AM Shipping piano to Mexico? 3 part question
RTL44 Offline

My wife & I will be moving to Caribbean coast of Mexico in a year or so. She has a Kawai KG-2D, but is concerned about the effect of the tropical weather and saltwater air on the piano. Although we will have a/c, we literally will be beachfront where the air is pretty salty.

As much as she loves her Kawai, she doesn't want to see it die a premature death caused by corrosion or anything else the tropical weather may bring.

Question 1 - Are we overreacting or is this a legitimate concern?

She also has a Petrof 125 that she is considering instead.

Question 2 - Would the Petrof (being mostly enclosed) have a better chance of surviving the weather?

Question 3 - Does anyone have info on shipping a piano from the US to Mexico and approximate costs, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2290441 - 06/16/14 10:48 AM Re: Shipping piano to Mexico? 3 part question [Re: RTL44]
Miguel Rey Offline

First off you would want to crate it and it won't be cheap. You may want to check with one of the larger national piano moving companies. I only have experience shipping to border towns so freight was limited once crossed the border and you will have pay 16% tax on the "stated value" plus a couple hundred broker fees. Make sure it is carefully crated, once it crosses only options that i'm aware of are standard trucking companies and it's a long way down to the southern Mexico.

You will need damp chaser "WET" or moisture king (preferably) installed. Probably three bars instead of the normal two, no need to install the humidifier. You will also need a string cover.

#2290444 - 06/16/14 10:57 AM Re: Shipping piano to Mexico? 3 part question [Re: RTL44]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
I have shipped to Mexico City several times. Unrelated question - are you shipping a container with other possessions. If so, than a humidity controlled container will help all of our possessions.

As far as going forward, beachfront pianos see more humidity related issues than inland pianos - and tropical pianos see more humidity related issues than temperate pianos. If you are careful the piano should perform ok. But tropical weather, beachfront or not, will take its toll on a piano.

I hope that helps in your decision.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#2290454 - 06/16/14 11:32 AM Re: Shipping piano to Mexico? 3 part question [Re: Rich Galassini]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini
and tropical pianos see more humidity related issues than temperate pianos.

ROTFLMAO --

This is certainly true!

Tropical Pianos drink Piņa Coladas and Temperate Pianos don't drink at all!

That's why installing multiple bars is so important in the tropics.

grin

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2290474 - 06/16/14 12:02 PM Re: Shipping piano to Mexico? 3 part question [Re: RTL44]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
LOL, cue up Tom Waits' "The Piano is Drinking" laugh

#2290552 - 06/16/14 02:49 PM Re: Shipping piano to Mexico? 3 part question [Re: Rich Galassini]
RTL44 Offline

I have shipped to Mexico City several times. Unrelated question - are you shipping a container with other possessions. If so, than a humidity controlled container will help all of our possessions.

As far as going forward, beachfront pianos see more humidity related issues than inland pianos - and tropical pianos see more humidity related issues than temperate pianos. If you are careful the piano should perform ok. But tropical weather, beachfront or not, will take its toll on a piano.

I hope that helps in your decision.

We would be shipping quite a lot of our household goods, so we would want to try to include one of the pianos with everything. I will look into a humidity controlled container. That would definitely be an advantage for everything.

Thanks for all the prompt responses. I think my wife is leaning toward selling the Kawai and shipping the Petrof, but we shall see. I know it won't be easy.

#2290587 - 06/16/14 03:42 PM Re: Shipping piano to Mexico? 3 part question [Re: Rich Galassini]
MiguelAngel07 Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador - South America

Hello Rich, thanks for your post.

I was not aware of the humidity controlled container option.

I'm considering importing a piano from the USA to Quito, Ecuador (in South America) and may be able to bring it in the ocean freight container a friend will use when he moves his household goods up here.

Based upon your experience, could you give me a feel (perhaps on a % basis) for the incremental cost associated with the humidity controlled option (compared to a regular shipping container)?

Thanks in advance for your response.

#2290592 - 06/16/14 03:55 PM Re: Shipping piano to Mexico? 3 part question [Re: MiguelAngel07]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: MiguelAngel07

Based upon your experience, could you give me a feel (perhaps on a % basis) for the incremental cost associated with the humidity controlled option (compared to a regular shipping container)?

Actually, when I am using Ocean Freight for a piano I don't think I have used anything but a climate controlled container. PM me if you would like a contact or two in the USA.

Just curious but where in the USA are you shipping from? That is important. Again, PM me if you wish.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#2290598 - 06/16/14 04:04 PM Re: Shipping piano to Mexico? 3 part question [Re: Rich Galassini]
RTL44 Offline

Originally Posted By: MiguelAngel07

Actually, when I am using Ocean Freight for a piano I don't think I have used anything but a climate controlled container. PM me if you would like a contact or two in the USA.

Just curious but where in the USA are you shipping from? That is important. Again, PM me if you wish.

OP here. I would also be interested a contact or 2. We will be shipping from Columbus, OH with the end destination being Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (accordeur, A Guy, alfredo capurso, 36 invisible), 1363 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158403 Topics
2326195 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission