Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2290448 - 06/16/14 11:05 AM The Reign of ETD Tuners
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

...has officially begun, after PTG's accepting the use of ETD for the aural part of the examination.

In short this means: Aural tuners OUT, ETD tuners IN!

Now, more technicians are obliged to increase their electronic device using skills, along with better understanding of computer software, hardware and mathematics.

Whether this era will last as long as the aural tuning era depends on the advent of new technologies, that will make digital pianos take over acoustic pianos altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2290563 - 06/16/14 03:11 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
David Jenson Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Hakki

I think it means ETD tuners are on an equal footing as far as the test goes. The idea that aural tuners are out is a bit of a reach.
-----

#2290573 - 06/16/14 03:22 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: David Jenson]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: David Jenson

I think it means ETD tuners are on an equal footing as far as the test goes. The idea that aural tuners are out is a bit of a reach.

You know water flows through the easy way.
Why would anybody bother with the cumbersome way in the future?

#2290590 - 06/16/14 03:50 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
A443 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vienna-Houston-Tokyo
Hakki, you may want to consider that the PTG as long used ETDs to score the exam against the master tuning. Why might that be?

Like other scientific measuring devices, an ETD gives consistent measurements in terms of 'relative distance' from the intended target.

How do you know, for example, what 20C feels like? Perhaps you've learned to check your experience against the feedback of a thermostat/hygrometer?

Can you now see how this feedback could assist a student in the pedagogical process of learning aural tuning, and maybe even the technique of stability?

#2290591 - 06/16/14 03:50 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Every art class has more than a few sculptors who will artistically never amount to a hill of beans. But fear not, a big magnifying glass is the answer for them to better see what they cannot do.

#2290628 - 06/16/14 05:33 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
Jbyron Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

You know water flows through the easy way.
Why would anybody bother with the cumbersome way in the future?

Tuning a piano well is hard work, there is no 'easy way' to do a high-quality and stable tuning, with or without an ETD. Setting a temperament is not that big of a deal.

#2290668 - 06/16/14 07:08 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
BenP Offline

Loc: South Jersey
With all due respect, Hakki, I think you are making this way bigger of a deal than it actually is.

#2290681 - 06/16/14 07:28 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
Bosendorff Offline

An ETD is just a tool. It can help to tune faster and minimize interval adjustments (when not an expert), but most of the time it can't tune bass strings correctly, so you still need to use your ears anyway.

#2290732 - 06/16/14 09:10 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: BenP]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BenP
With all due respect, Hakki, I think you are making this way bigger of a deal than it actually is.

+1
-----

#2290737 - 06/16/14 09:17 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: BenP]
SMHaley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle
Originally Posted By: BenP

And I recall the number of times people went around the Mulberry bush with Mr Hakki over a related subject not all that long ago.

Aural tuners are here to stay.
Church Music Professional
Curator of instruments - Chancel Arts
Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

#2290741 - 06/16/14 09:29 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Emmery]
Herr Weiss Online   content

Loc: New York, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: Emmery
Every art class has more than a few sculptors who will artistically never amount to a hill of beans. But fear not, a big magnifying glass is the answer for them to better see what they cannot do.

I went to Art School. The only useful thing that I learned was how to see. I have found a lot of money in the streets with that skill. smile

HW

#2290774 - 06/16/14 11:15 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...has officially begun, after PTG's accepting the use of ETD for the aural part of the examination.

Now, more technicians are obliged to increase their electronic device using skills, along with better understanding of computer software, hardware and mathematics.

Whether this era will last as long as the aural tuning era depends on the advent of new technologies, that will make digital pianos take over acoustic pianos altogether.

I am an ETD tuner, and I can't think of a reason why I will ever not be an ETD tuner. That said, I am learning to tune by ear. Yeah, I can honestly say that I hate it. It's hard and frustrating, but so was learning to tune unisons by ear. If you can't be bothered to even attempt to learn to tune a temperament and midrange octaves aurally, then I think that's sad. The minimum requirements that the PTG asks for in the tuning exam are very generous--too generous. I think the premise of this thread is utterly ridiculous.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2290778 - 06/16/14 11:22 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
2000 Post Club Member

"I think the premise of this thread is utterly ridiculous." beethoven986

You're right. It appears to be one of those types of over-the-top statements designed to stir controversy. So far the attempt has fallen pretty flat.
-----

#2290780 - 06/16/14 11:23 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: David Jenson]
Jbyron Offline
500 Post Club Member

"I think the premise of this thread is utterly ridiculous." beethoven986

You're right. It appears to be one of those types of over-the-top statements designed to stir controversy. So far the attempt has fallen pretty flat.

I like to call it, high-drama.

#2290787 - 06/16/14 11:56 PM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
This topic isn't ridiculous. It is important for aspiring piano technicians to learn to tune aurally. Yes it takes effort to learn and Yes it is worth the effort. I started out using the Sanderson accu-tuner and after two years I developed the hammer technique and listening skills to tune aurally with confidence. I never have considered turning back. Aural tuning skills are the foundation for voicing. Its wonderful to truly hear a piano.

Riding a bike is a lot more fun when you take the training wheels off.

Enjoy.

#2290799 - 06/17/14 12:41 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Dave B]
A443 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vienna-Houston-Tokyo
Originally Posted By: Dave B
Aural tuning skills are the foundation for voicing. Its wonderful to truly hear a piano.
That is not really true...

I teach students to make small voicing adjustment (i.e., with a single string voicer), before they learn to tune unisons. From the beginning, it encourages them to actively/constantly 'listen' to tonal details while they are tuning single strings with an ETD--many technicians believe ETDs create non-thinking/listening tuners, which is not at all the case, when done properly.

Learning to tune unisons with earplugs, and [loud] noise in the environment, is VERY important. I've long advocated tandem tunings: two people on the same piano tuning, one section apart; one tuner sets the strings to the ETD and the other pulls in the unisons. This is excellent training, and great for multiple passes that get the piano stabilised (i.e., strings rendered and pins set) to a point where it is finally ready to be tuned aurally (e.g., closer than 1/2 cent).

Once a tuner can tune comfortably under the aforementioned conditions, learning to recognise/feel beat-rates to tune aurally is less of a traumatic experience. It's ideal in an institutional settings for training multiple student tuning assistants.

#2290829 - 06/17/14 03:04 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Here we go round the mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush.
Here we go round the mulberry bush
On a cold and frosty morning.

Here we go round the mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush.
Here we go round the mulberry bush
So early in the morning.

Here we go round the peeaaanoo
The peeaaanoo,
The peeaaanoo,
Here we round the peeaaanoo,
Again n again n again

Edited by Grandpianoman (06/17/14 03:07 AM)

#2290865 - 06/17/14 06:52 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Guys,

If anyone has been following Hakki's posts, you will remember that he lamented over not being able to convince two university tuners to do aural tunings, presumably because he felt the ETD tunings done by those tuners were lacking.

Now he posts this controversial thread.

He's just not to be taken seriously, IMHO.

#2290871 - 06/17/14 07:17 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: A443]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: A443
Aural tuning skills are the foundation for voicing. Its wonderful to truly hear a piano.
That is not really true...

I teach students to make small voicing adjustment (i.e., with a single string voicer), before they learn to tune unisons. From the beginning, it encourages them to actively/constantly 'listen' to tonal details while they are tuning single strings with an ETD--many technicians believe ETDs create non-thinking/listening tuners, which is not at all the case, when done properly.

Great, why not. I only pretend that looking at an ETD slows the ear, unless you tune first look later, the listening mode changes. The eyes are way less fast that the ear, and the ETD is faster than the ears, or seem to be. What would be useful is if the ET showed a time graph of pitch and volume ,not "real time" we cannot really be sure what is shown as it does not relate well to what we hear.

You hardly can tune an immediate tone with ETD's, usually one wait until the display is quiet, so the justness is attained by a late tone.

I think that even on experienced tuners, the way the ETD modify your way of listening is very subtle and pass unnoticed.

Then there are some listening modes the ear/brain are not using at all, it turns to a precision work vs the ETD, some of the "spirit" of tuning is lost, an I have seen lost of interest for tuning due to abuse of ETD (up to a colleague that stopped concert tuning as he find it annoying, the way it goes).

What I did not get is that we are then sticking to an ET model, and quieten a lot the piano's own resonances, so in the en the "in tune" sensation reflects more the model than the instrument. At some point there is a dissociation.

#2290874 - 06/17/14 07:23 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark Cerisano, RPT
Guys,

If anyone has been following Hakki's posts, you will remember that he lamented over not being able to convince two university tuners to do aural tunings, presumably because he felt the ETD tunings done by those tuners were lacking.

Now he posts this controversial thread.

He's just not to be taken seriously, IMHO.

+1
-----

#2290880 - 06/17/14 07:49 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: beethoven986]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: beethoven986
I am an ETD tuner, and I can't think of a reason why I will ever not be an ETD tuner. That said, I am learning to tune by ear. Yeah, I can honestly say that I hate it. It's hard and frustrating, but so was learning to tune unisons by ear. If you can't be bothered to even attempt to learn to tune a temperament and midrange octaves aurally, then I think that's sad.

Beethoven, I commend you. Your attitude is why some go from being a good tuner to a great tuner.

Good on ya!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2290887 - 06/17/14 08:10 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
2000 Post Club Member

As an aural tuner I tried several ETD devices. I really couldn't get interested in them. Using them involved to much fiddling, extra equipment and expense. There are tools in the catalogs that I don't buy, and ETD stuff is solidly in that category.
-----

#2290890 - 06/17/14 08:13 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: beethoven986]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France

I am an ETD tuner, and I can't think of a reason why I will ever not be an ETD tuner. That said, I am learning to tune by ear. Yeah, I can honestly say that I hate it. It's hard and frustrating, but so was learning to tune unisons by ear. If you can't be bothered to even attempt to learn to tune a temperament and midrange octaves aurally, then I think that's sad. The minimum requirements that the PTG asks for in the tuning exam are very generous--too generous. I think the premise of this thread is utterly ridiculous.

Hi ! Listening with an ETD and listening for tuning are 2 different things, ask Raphael, who have good ears and the experience, if you do not trust me.

Try to do that : tweaking unison , no mutes, strong radio/music noise in background :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6GjQDkF_AMQb19hSWUydG1IYjQ/edit?usp=sharing

If you can do so you should have no trouble to listen to whatever interval activity.

If when learning tuning one is properly shown how to listen and what to listen for, the listening part of the job can soon be apprehended (then refined with experience )

The ones that defend the use of ETD for the exam because they use it, possibly have forget that they have first learned to tune before using the ETD.
I think it is a disservice to younger persons that want to enter the trade.

That said I dont know what is the basic level with the RPT diploma, I have seen a colleague that was initially RPT , in nee of some lessons to understand how to obtain a pleasing tone. When he worked here he realized he was doing things differently an ha to learn local ways (may I say international ways as the instructor was a Yamaha tech)

Here also whatever the exam is, the way practical learning have been conducted determines the quality of the technician, I mean, where is he working when not at school, on what class of instruments, for which type of customer.

Regards

Edited by Olek (06/17/14 08:16 AM)

#2290923 - 06/17/14 09:23 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Those who have not foreseen PTG's move should better take this SERIOUSLY and consider revising their business model.

#2290933 - 06/17/14 09:40 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
adamp88 Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
Hakki, as an outsider to the field, I don't really think you are in a position to be counseling other technicians about the writing on the wall.

ASB Piano Service
Omaha, NE

#2290941 - 06/17/14 09:46 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Read my signature.

edit: And it won't take long for PTG to allow the use of ETD in any part of the exam (unisons etc.)

Edited by Hakki (06/17/14 10:21 AM)

#2290974 - 06/17/14 10:37 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Hakki]
Jbyron Offline
500 Post Club Member

Me,me,me,me,me,I,I,I,I,I,me,me,me. That one?

#2290977 - 06/17/14 10:43 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Jbyron]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jbyron
Me,me,me,me,me,I,I,I,I,I,me,me,me. That one?

No.

The O,o,o,o,o,o,t,t,t,t,t,o,o,o,o one.

#2290978 - 06/17/14 10:54 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Dave B]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Aural tuning skills are the foundation for voicing.

This is a good point, Dave, definite article excepted. One voicing seminar in particular has a reputation for leaving techs with AHS (Aching hand syndrome wink )

"Not to know what took place before you were born is to remain forever a child." - Cicero

#2290980 - 06/17/14 11:00 AM Re: The Reign of ETD Tuners [Re: Minnesota Marty]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
I am an ETD tuner, and I can't think of a reason why I will ever not be an ETD tuner. That said, I am learning to tune by ear. Yeah, I can honestly say that I hate it. It's hard and frustrating, but so was learning to tune unisons by ear. If you can't be bothered to even attempt to learn to tune a temperament and midrange octaves aurally, then I think that's sad.

Beethoven, I commend you. Your attitude is why some go from being a good tuner to a great tuner.

Good on ya!

Ditto smile

"Not to know what took place before you were born is to remain forever a child." - Cicero

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (36251, Allard, andy0140, Abby Pianoman, ando, 35 invisible), 1257 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295932 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
08/01/14 07:45 AM
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
08/01/14 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
08/01/14 12:17 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission