Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
145 registered (ajames, Alexander Borro, ando, ABC Vermonter, anamnesis, A Guy, 37 invisible), 1637 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2290505 - 06/16/14 01:31 PM Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804"
Flair Offline

Loc: Delaware
Hi,

I am looking for another digital piano as my current one is 16years I got from a Roland dealer. I found a Technics SX-PR804, does anyone know anything about these units and about what are they worth today?

Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2290584 - 06/16/14 03:33 PM Re: Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804" [Re: Flair]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Technics withdrew from the DP market over 10 years ago. Apparently as a brand they weren't as highly regarded as Yamaha / Roland, though models from the late 80s / early 90s were good for their time.

Not sure exactly when SX-PR804 was released, but it looks like one of their later models so I'd guess early 2000s. You can download the manual if you google it.

Value: this kind of ensemble piano has gone out of fashion, and quality of piano sounds has improved a lot in the past decade. So not worth a huge amount. One sold on eBay last year went for 578. They sold originally for 10x that.

If it's all working then it could be worth checking out. Read about potential problems here first. Since they're not that common it might be hard getting repairs.

#2290691 - 06/16/14 07:40 PM Re: Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804" [Re: Flair]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I have fond memories of Technics' keyboards and digital pianos - they were very impressive instruments for their time. However, as lolatu correctly notes, keyboard and sound technology has progressed considerably in the past decade, to the extent where today's entry-level instruments are more realistic than former flagship models costing over ten times the amount when new.

If you are able to visit the seller to play-test the instrument, by all means do so, however be sure to check all keys and functions fully. Even then, you may find that the core piano sound and keyboard action technology is no better than your existing Roland.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2290730 - 06/16/14 09:00 PM Re: Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804" [Re: Flair]
Flair Offline

Great advice- Thank you! Its tough to find anything on these units. I think they were asking around $500 US

#2290747 - 06/16/14 09:39 PM Re: Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804" [Re: Flair]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Just for some perspective, have you tried a Casio px-150? They go for $500 brand new and will sound and feel much better than your Roland or the Technics. Might be good to check out some new DPs in your price range for comparison.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2290946 - 06/17/14 09:54 AM Re: Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804" [Re: Morodiene]
Flair Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Just for some perspective, have you tried a Casio px-150? They go for $500 brand new and will sound and feel much better than your Roland or the Technics. Might be good to check out some new DPs in your price range for comparison.

Thank you but the only reason I was interested in that unit was the features and external sounds and effects. The Roland has KR-370 has many sounds and piano types of effects also. My budget is 3-4k but I am not up to date on any of the new units so that is why I was looking at that one. If anyone has any recommendations I would be grateful? The problem with dealers, is that many will try to push a certain model on you without accessing your true needs. So any recommendations of new models or models within the last 5-6 years would be nice. Thank you!

#2290955 - 06/17/14 10:12 AM Re: Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804" [Re: Flair]

Originally Posted By: Flair
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Thank you but the only reason I was interested in that unit was the features and external sounds and effects. The Roland has KR-370 has many sounds and piano types of effects also. My budget is 3-4k but I am not up to date on any of the new units so that is why I was looking at that one. If anyone has any recommendations I would be grateful? The problem with dealers, is that many will try to push a certain model on you without accessing your true needs. So any recommendations of new models or models within the last 5-6 years would be nice. Thank you!

You mention features and external sounds and effects, but this is rather vague, so some question may help clear this up:
-What kind of music do you want to play?
-Will the DP stay at home all the time, or will you be gigging with it, or a little of both?
-Are you OK with a stage piano (where you have to purchased a separate stand and possibly speakers), or do you need a console type (which has an attached stand that comes with it and on-board speakers)?
-Do you want to be able to arrange music on it (like an automatic accompaniment feature and sequencer)?
-Do you want to record on it?
-Do you want to use software piano sounds or sequencing software (DAWs)?
-Do you need lots of different sounds (synth sounds, guitar, drums, etc.), or primarily Piano/EP/Strings/Pad?

There are some great new pianos well within or below your budget that you can consider based on your criteria.

#2290976 - 06/17/14 10:42 AM Re: Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804" [Re: Morodiene]
Flair Offline

You mention features and external sounds and effects, but this is rather vague, so some question may help clear this up:
-What kind of music do you want to play? Primarily it will be classical and for lessons.
-Will the DP stay at home all the time, or will you be gigging with it, or a little of both? It will stay at home all the time
-Are you OK with a stage piano (where you have to purchased a separate stand and possibly speakers), or do you need a console type (which has an attached stand that comes with it and on-board speakers)? [color:#FF0000]A console type

-Do you want to be able to arrange music on it (like an automatic accompaniment feature and sequencer)? Yes
-Do you want to record on it? Yes
-Do you want to use software piano sounds or sequencing software (DAWs)? Software Piano Sounds
-Do you need lots of different sounds (synth sounds, guitar, drums, etc.), or primarily Piano/EP/Strings/Pad? Yes
[/color]

#2291200 - 06/17/14 05:41 PM Re: Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804" [Re: Flair]
jamie_vt Offline

Loc: Hampshire, UK
I believe the 804 was the last top range piano released by technics before panasonic pulled the plug further infomation can be found Here

I had a technics sx-pc8 which was the simplest DP ever with an on/off and a volume control and ended upgrading to a slightly newer sx pr902 as I was comfortable with the action and could not find anything that I was comfortable with new under 1300 which is out of my price range for now frown however actions I think are very much a personal choice and what I would say is that the technics will only get more and more difficult to repair if goes wrong in the future.

#2291322 - 06/17/14 09:24 PM Re: Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804" [Re: Flair]

If you want to play classical then you will want the best action and acoustic piano sound out there. I highly recommend you try out the Kawai CA65.

Roland's HP-506 is at the tope end of your budget, and I have not played it to say how good it is, but I've heard good things so far and it would be good to have a few pianos to compare.

Yamaha CLP-440 might be a good comparison too.

Any of these should work for your needs (as well as many others), but it should give you a good start. Take your time in shopping so you can find just what you want smile

#2291592 - 06/18/14 09:52 AM Re: Question about buying a Technics "SX-PR804" [Re: Morodiene]
Flair Offline

Ok,

Thank you as I will take a look at the pianos this afternoon. I'm really looking forward exploring the suggestions and thinking of kind of going towards a piano that has great sound and produces many sounds ( Feature heavy)

Thanks

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Knabe WG48 Opinions?
by stevetothink
12/22/14 10:58 AM
More instruments via MIDI?
by badbob001
12/22/14 10:42 AM
Xmas present
by Jytte
12/22/14 09:29 AM
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160052 Topics
2350457 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission