Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2291174 - 06/17/14 05:17 PM Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys?
Jeff Petsinger Offline

Loc: Wayne, Illinois
The Evolutionary Piano Project launched on Indiegogo today. The primary goal is to develop an optimized carbon fiber composite soundboard, but we are building the piano with an expanded compass of 102 keys. I was wondering if any of you are interested in having more keys to compose with?

Evolutionary Piano Indiegogo Project

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2291205 - 06/17/14 05:48 PM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Jeff Petsinger]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I think I'm fine with the keys we have, although there have been two or three times when I've wanted to take things down farther into the 0 octave (with double octave passages, for example). Never wanted below Imperial C, though. grin

Polyphonist

#2291260 - 06/17/14 07:36 PM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Jeff Petsinger]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
No way. For one, the Bosendorfer Imperial grand is too wide. It looks like rubbish. 102 keys sounds ridiculous, no offense.

#2291374 - 06/17/14 11:05 PM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Jeff Petsinger]
Ritzycat Online   content

Maybe, but once we get to a certain point we'll need sliding piano benches

Edited by Ritzycat (06/17/14 11:05 PM)

#2291378 - 06/17/14 11:21 PM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Ritzycat]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Ritzycat

Yes! Have them run on a roller built into the floor in front of the piano. grin

Polyphonist

#2291444 - 06/18/14 02:41 AM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Jeff Petsinger]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
I've composed a few pieces that dip momentarily below the 88, none lower than the G.

It might be worth looking at a reversion to straight stringing with parallel grain approximation in the carbon fibre if it really will be 102 keys. This would help keep the lowest octave register from unduly resonating the higher ones and keep the sound clearer with long held pedal.

Not only the Imperial Bosendorfer - Erard had a line of concert grand with more than 88 keys and which was straight strung.

http://www.frederickcollection.org/Erard1877.htm

#2291951 - 06/19/14 07:08 AM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Jeff Petsinger]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

88 are already too many, not too few. Extending the range of the piano is just a silly engineering [censored], and not musically justified, IMO.

#2291981 - 06/19/14 08:35 AM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Polyphonist]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Yes! Have them run on a roller built into the floor in front of the piano. grin

Not that hard to do.
ASSUMING sheet music, or a stored copy of it and some minor programmed intelligence.
Easy enough to read ahead and get the player's butt to whichever end of the keyboard it will need to be at next.
Take the pedals (lyre) with them too.
laugh

#2291986 - 06/19/14 08:37 AM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Jeff Petsinger]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

BTW, the Indiegogo page isn't there - or at least isn't where your pointer points to.

#2291991 - 06/19/14 08:56 AM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Jeff Petsinger]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
88 keys has been plenty for me. In terms of extending the piano's range we're pretty much far in the extreme now. The problem is if I say I don't need the extra notes something will come to mind and I'll want to write with them. However, I will say that extending the bass of the piano is almost an exercise in futility because the instrument just doesn't produce much fundamental at the bottom of its range. If you want real bass, earth shattering, wall shuddering bass compose for organ. I once played the old Aeolian Skinner at Duke University. It had a 32' Bombarde (actually now that I think about it it might have been a 64'). I played the low C for just a moment. Bear in mind the fundamental at 32' is 16 Hz (for 64' it would be 8 Hz). I thought the building might come down. No piano will ever be able to do that.

#2292121 - 06/19/14 01:35 PM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: R_B]
Jeff Petsinger Offline

Please go to this link:

Evolutionary Piano Indiegogo Project

It seems I just can't send out a link that works.

Please to it soon and early. I really need the traffic on the site.

#2292125 - 06/19/14 01:39 PM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Steve Chandler]
Jeff Petsinger Offline

I tried to discuss the bass issue before, but nobody engaged. The conventional wisdom is that those low notes do not produce a lot of fundamental. I think the problem is that the soundboard's fundamental resonance is typically set to 40-50 Hz, meaning it is going to reproduce the harmonics better than the fundamental. If the ring tone were set to 28 Hz, I wonder what it would sound like.

#2292170 - 06/19/14 02:48 PM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Jeff Petsinger]
Ritzycat Online   content

To be honest, my poor ears have trouble discerning the tones of the uppermost and lowermost piano keys anyway.

#2292323 - 06/19/14 07:35 PM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Ritzycat]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

To be honest, my poor ears have trouble discerning the tones of the uppermost and lowermost piano keys anyway.

Many of us have that trouble. Which is exactly why I think the whole idea is pretty silly. After all, it's not like the ability to extend the range is something new - it's just not something musicians and listeners want or need in a piano. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Plus, as has been alluded, it's already hard enough for the player to reach the ends of the keyboard as it is, especially if they are not very tall.

#2292361 - 06/19/14 09:43 PM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: wr]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wr

Many of us have that trouble. Which is exactly why I think the whole idea is pretty silly. After all, it's not like the ability to extend the range is something new - it's just not something musicians and listeners want or need in a piano. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Plus, as has been alluded, it's already hard enough for the player to reach the ends of the keyboard as it is, especially if they are not very tall.

Agreed, just because it COULD BE done doesn't justify doing it.

If (if, If, IF) there was much "need" for it you could bet the electronic folk would be out there with however many keys starting from wherever you want, with transposing to boot.
5 Hz ? No problem.
50K Hz ? Sure.

#2294286 - 06/24/14 11:05 AM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: Jeff Petsinger]
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
No.

88 is the number of keys that will fit into the magic space of 4'. More keys = no more magic space of 4'. The world will fall off its axis, and all that's good will perish.

Edited by gsmonks (06/24/14 11:06 AM)

#2294339 - 06/24/14 01:33 PM Re: Do Composers Want More than 88 Keys? [Re: gsmonks]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
Originally Posted By: gsmonks
No.

88 is the number of keys that will fit into the magic space of 4'. More keys = no more magic space of 4'. The world will fall off its axis, and all that's good will perish.

For purely selfish reasons I want 90 keys which adds two half steps more depth to the bass. wink

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
67 registered (allakart, ando, Badinage, 22 invisible), 865 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157173 Topics
2308416 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bosendorfer 275
by PhilipInChina
Today at 03:07 AM
EDTA solution to clean pedals, handles, etc
by Olek
Today at 01:34 AM
AMusA exam questions
by Badinage
Today at 01:24 AM
ES7 - Gig Bag or Hard Case
by gbitw
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission