2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think you'd actually be surprised how much of the current supernatural engine actually is Modelling vs. PCM. It surprised the heck out of me.

Industry Consultant
G
G
Jay, I recently picked up the RD800. Can you confirm which of the sounds is supposed to be the "Studio Grand" sound from the NX? I'm getting confused by this. Regards. G.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Patch number 034. It's the Studio Grand. Not my favourite but useful for many situations. There's a few variations on that tone.

Here's the tone list for download if you need it:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=RD-800&id=63073815

Last edited by Jay Roland; 06/17/14 10:24 PM.

Industry Consultant
Do the alternate piano patches have as many layers as the primary piano? I just got the FP-50, and there are not many pianos to chose from, so I would like to know if one uses one of the high number piano sounds, or for me, pianos in the 'Other' bank, if they are as good in quality of implementation and have the extras like string resonance?

Hope this is a general enough question that I am not redirecting this thread, Cynthia

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On the RD800 there are 33 total Supernatural Acoustic pianos on board. All based on an 88 key 4 level multi sample, with Modelling filling in the gaps for 128 total levels of expression. There are 3 total variations of the SuperNatural Acoustic Pianos on the FP-50.

SuperNatural Acoustic Pianos are the patches with the most tonal variation, The higher number (generally GM2 and PCM based patches) don't have the tonal variation that the SuperNatural instruments have.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
B
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
On the RD800 there are 33 total Supernatural Acoustic pianos on board. All based on an 88 key 4 level multi sample, with Modelling filling in the gaps for 128 total levels of expression.
Jay

I had no idea that the SuperNATURAL Acoustic Pianos were sample based, with modelling filling in the velocity level gaps, I thought they were entirely modelled based on the sample. shocked

Roland RD-800, RD-700, SRX-02, SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, EV-5
M
M
Hi there.

This thread is a really good idea.
I'm looking for tips to the RD-800.

Here is my question:
The RD-800 Upright piano has a too little sustain for my opinion.
What can I do to last the tones longer to get a more realistic Upright sound?

Thanks
Martin

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Maltin
Hi there.

This thread is a really good idea.
I'm looking for tips to the RD-800.

Here is my question:
The RD-800 Upright piano has a too little sustain for my opinion.
What can I do to last the tones longer to get a more realistic Upright sound?

Thanks
Martin

Hi Martin and welcome!

Im not in front of my RD800 at the moment but try this:

- go to Upright Piano
- Enter
- go to Sympathetic Resonance
- go to Depth
- Default will be around 52 crank it all the way to 127 and play something. then dial it down to a number you like.

Also, turn on Modulation FX and tool around with the pitch shifter a bit. It just might sound like a realistic upright when slightly off pitch +/-2cent.

Im sure there are many other tweaks, but try that for starters. I will look into it more tonight.

Marko

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 06/19/14 11:35 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bgiles
On the RD800 there are 33 total Supernatural Acoustic pianos on board. All based on an 88 key 4 level multi sample, with Modelling filling in the gaps for 128 total levels of expression.
Jay

I had no idea that the SuperNATURAL Acoustic Pianos were sample based, with modelling filling in the velocity level gaps, I thought they were entirely modelled based on the sample. shocked

It was a total oversimplification of what the modelling tech actually does, but at it's core yes that's what SuperNatural does. Also, all the resonances (String, Hammer, Key-Off, Duplex Scale, etc etc etc.) are also controlled and changed dynamically by SuperNatural. There's more, but I hope this clears it up a bit.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
B
Thanks Jay, there's obviously a lot going on under the hood!

Been fiddling since February to get the perfect Piano, as I found the default settings for 'Concert Grand' just a little to mellow.
Tried changing the character (which is what 'Bright Concert' does at +2), but found it a little too hard.

Then opened the lid (Menu > Tremolo/Amp Simulator) from 5 to 7, and wow, so much more 'open' in the mid range.

I wonder if 7 equates opening the lid fully on a concert grand, or actually removing it?

My default pianos in the live sets are now;
'Concert Grand' with lid at 7, and
'NX Concert Grand' with lid at 7.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On the home series that had graphics corresponding with the lid adjustment. 7 was in fact pictured as off.

Whether or not that meant off, not sure. but yeah the sound opened up greatly.

I like a darker mellower tone so I usually hover around 3 or 4.

I'll post some patches on the Roland Canada Blog soon with some Grand, Upright and E. Piano customizations. When i do so, I will make sure to share here. I have to get a road trip in Alberta out of the way first though.

Jay

Industry Consultant
G
G
I would absolutely love it, if customizations could be posted to this thread. There seems to be so many ways the RDs can be voiced. And so many different *nuance types* etc... not to mention the EPs and Organs. But I remember once getting a pretty involved customization to an EP on the RD700GX - that was so much better than the stock selections. So please Jay, if you hear some compelling mods - please post them!! smile

B
B
I do like my RD-800, but the more I use it, the more I get the feeling that 'System Programming' wasn't fully developed before release...

When selecting an E.ORGAN from 'Tone' bank 5, with the exception of the 10 'Tone Wheel Organs' (255-264), all the remaining (265-322) have the 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting on '[1] Normal' instead of '[5] Rotary' and ON.

This means that you have to change the setting to get to what should be the default, and then save it off to a 'Live Set', which I think is crazy!

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by GWILLY
There seems to be so many ways the RDs can be voiced. And so many different *nuance types* etc... not to mention the EPs and Organs.

Speaking of organs, I rarely use organs but RD800 has been inspiring me! I must say the the RD800 organs (SN and non-SN) sound pretty incredible. I was just playing something easy and popular from the Animals, so popular that the RD800 already has preset for it: #282 "Rising Son" I love making it a little just a bit gritty with Amp Sim drive. Also, just started messing around with A Whiter Shade of Pale. I would really love to try something like Greg Allmans's slow version of Whipping Post with my band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-B9ijxkhaA

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 36251
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Originally Posted by 36251

Sure this might be a marketing ploy but anyone can see they abandoned the architecture and redesigned.

Well, in that theory, So did the RD800, MP7, MP10. All have new designs and engines.

Yamaha just added the word "STAGE". But It's still a CP series
Hey, I'm no cheer leader for Yamaha, so you'all are right and I'm wrong. I don't start these issues but when I read the reasons why Roland took something out, it infuriates me how people can spin anything!!!!

I object to your characterization of my posts regarding the RD800. At no point did I provide any explanation for why anything was taken out. I provided an alternative for what could be done with the features that do still exist. And said that I would inquire about some others. No spin there.

I just saw these comments. Completely unwarranted and completely false.

Jay

Industry Consultant
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Roland's official notice released with options and gifts for us owners:

http://www.rolandus.com/go/rd-800/

Gifts; which one are you going for?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 06/27/14 12:45 PM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
That's ok. It's a decent gesture and I think it will just about retain the goodwill they could have lost.

I'm not an owner - but I'd take the pedals. I had them with my FP-7F and they are pretty nice quality. Not sure most gigging people will want the pedals though.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I object to your characterization of my posts regarding the RD800. Jay
My comments written after a feature was not included on RD800, was not directed related to the RD800. Removing that feature and how you explained it, brought up my feelings about the newer versions of the FP4, a piano I held dear to my heart and thought about upgrading to newer versions only to find that Roland removed most insert effects and on/off switch for internal speakers, etc.

It's the general sense I get from Roland, that these decisions are made without the best interest of the players who purchase your products, which is why I commented. I'm seeing a pattern and maybe I'm wrong, but like everyone here, it's my opinion, which, I agree, don't mean that much.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
C
C
I'd quite happily take the pedals for gigging. Assuming they can be custom assigned for things like stop/start fast/slow on an Organ. Handy for the early buyers, not so much for those that waited patiently for a re-release (or those outside of the US, if it is US-only).

Pleased for you.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
[Linked Image]

Is this nonsense really necessary? Do I have to install it in order to "legally" sell or trade-in my RD800?

Here'e the remedy kit and instructions.

http://www.rolandus.com/go/rd-800/images/RD-800_Installation_Instructions.pdf

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission