2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by jazzwee
So was yours a B3? No Leslie?

No Leslie frown

Mine was a spinet. I can't remember the letter name, perhaps L-something, not sure.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I really enjoyed that, Riddler. smile Brings back good memories, and I love that Hammond sound.

Well, here's my version. I'm not nearly as fast as Ethel Smith, but had a lot of fun with it. Have a couple of "sticky keys" with this rainy/humid weather here, too. I recorded this on my Roland.. I'm not set up to record with my old Conn organ. My feet tell me they miss playing the pedals. lol

TICO TICO

Last edited by Elssa; 06/14/14 12:55 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Ethel Ed and Elssa and Tico-Tico Tico-Tico Tico-Tico This is becoming another themed recital. So many wonderful performances of this song.

Ed and Elssa you play so well, past and present (I think Elssa also did another version of this years ago)-- not even primitive recording methods or sticky keys can subtract from the enjoyments of your performances.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elssa
I really enjoyed that, Riddler. smile Brings back good memories, and I love that Hammond sound.

Well, here's my version. I'm not nearly as fast as Ethel Smith, but had a lot of fun with it. Have a couple of "sticky keys" with this rainy/humid weather here, too. I recorded this on my Roland.. I'm not set up to record with my old Conn organ. My feet tell me they miss playing the pedals. lol

TICO TICO

Great performance Elssa! Would have liked to see you do it on the real organ with the swell pedal.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Some really impressive Hammond organ playing here. Such variety of sounds coming out of the instrument and such great use of dynamics. This is no small deal to do.

My Jazz Blog

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ed - that was really fun! I still have a little cassette player, too, and listen to old tapes while I'm folding laundry laugh And now I can listen to your old tapes, too! I love the sauciness here smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Elssa, Way to Tico! I know what you mean about the pedals, once you get used to playing with them, things never seem right without them.

Jazzwee, I must admit I've never heard a Hammond played quite like Corey Henry plays it! Super-quick on the drawbars! Really swings. Though I must say - he's not too subtle with his cues to his drummer. smile In a bygone era, Elssa and I used to be fans of an organist named Bill Irwin, he was quick at registration changes too; made you feel like you were listening to a whole orchestra.

Cathy, saucy, yes, but ya gotta admit - we are too restrained in this thread. All these words, not a single organ joke! JW should be grateful bigtime.

Ed

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
It's a month now of practicing the organ on my Nord Electro and this is where i am now.

All the Things You Are Improv
https://app.box.com/s/dn05vn9gbqe47242nugi

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A little more Ethel Smith: smile Wish I could play the glissandos like her!

Last edited by Elssa; 06/16/14 01:49 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have an old cassette recording from a little recital I played for a local organ club group about 30 years ago. I'm playing my Conn organ with pedals, and the sound quality is really terrible, but just reminds me how much fun I had back then:

CUMANA: https://app.box.com/shared/71li2cu37k

BRAZIL: https://app.box.com/shared/t4lirac9yd

Ed/Riddler, I still have a book or two of Bill Irwin's somewhere. He was really good. grin

Last edited by Elssa; 06/16/14 02:16 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There was another great electric/theater organist named Rosa Rio. She lived to age 107 and was performing on the organ right up to the end. smile

Last edited by Elssa; 06/16/14 01:10 PM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elssa
There was another great electric/theater organist named Rosa Rio. She lived to age 107 and was performing on the organ right up to the end. smile

I didn't even think of the term "pulling out all the stops" as referring to organ. Makes sense now smile

My Jazz Blog

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
She actually was only 3 weeks shy of 108 when she died. Her last professional performance was only a few months before that and she practiced up to the day she died, believing there'd be another one.

Skitch Henderson said he didn't know of anyone else who could improvise for the organ the way she could. Here is a more extensive interview with her where she talks about that and her over 90-year career and the history of broadcasting. She is 100 in the interview but barely seems 70 and I was tempted to email her husband (still alive at 94) to ask him which hand cream she used. Her hands seem so amazingly young. Check it out.

[video:youtube][video:google]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifiPKj0McPw[/video]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's a wonderful clip! I really love it at the very end where she plays "Everything's Coming Up Rosa". grin

I actually heard her play live back in the late 1980s.. My grandmother (my mom's mom) in Bridgeport, CT, who also played theater organ, was about the same age as Rosa and was acquainted with her. My family and I went to hear Rosa play in Shelton,CT, and she was amazing! smile

www.TheatreOrgans.com/cvtos

SHELTON, CONNECTICUT

The 3/13 Austin Opus 1512 organ was originally installed in the Allyn Theatre in Hartford, Connecticut in 1927. The 1938 hurricane did substantial damage to it, flooding the chambers, smashing the pipes and technically making the instrument inoperable..

Twenty-one years later, in 1959, Allen Miller, while making a survey of theatre organs in Connecticut, discovered this organ, and with the help of a friend was able to get it in working condition by 1960.

Shortly after this, the Connecticut Valley Theatre Organ Society was founded, and through an agreement between Mr. Miller and the Allyn Theatre, concerts and practice sessions were allowed when the theatre was not being used. Additionally, the organ was promised to CVTOS in the event the theatre was closed or demolished.

The Allyn Theatre closed in October 1969, and the organ was dismantled and moved to a machine shop in Manchester, Ct. From there it was moved to a vacant store in Seymour, and later to a closed school building in Shelton.

During these years a new high school was being built in Shelton, and an agreement was made with the city whereby space would be allocated for the chambers and a storage crib for the organ console. In exchange CVTOS would donate the organ to the city and would rebuild, install and maintain it at no charge.

The premier concert for this organ was held on January 25, 1986, and it is the only theatre organ installed in a public high school in Connecticut. Rosa Rio, famous for playing for the silent movies and later radio shows, lived in Shelton and was a frequent performer on this organ.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Great story, Elssa, and one that ended very happily for those high school students. Imagine, being able to hear a concert by a master of a dying art and have a beautiful colorful artifact of American Musical theater history like that at your finger tips.

I had a feeling you would have seen her play and maybe even meet her. My grandmother probably saw her too and might have even known her (she knew Ethel Waters). Like Rosa, she was from the South, was born around the same time, and she played organ and piano from the time she was a child.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just can't get over how well Rosa looked and how energetic she was in that video you posted (at age 100). Not to disparage the piano in any way, but I bet her playing the organ, which is a full-body workout with the pedals, had something to do with it. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Riddler
Elssa, Way to Tico! I know what you mean about the pedals, once you get used to playing with them, things never seem right without them.

Cathy, saucy, yes, but ya gotta admit - we are too restrained in this thread. All these words, not a single organ joke! JW should be grateful bigtime.

Ed

Thanks, Riddler! I never learned to do the real fancy footwork like Ethel and Rosa on electric organ but still had a lot of fun with the pedals.. I could do a pretty good walking bass back then. Do you still play organ? You sounded wonderful in your recording! thumb

Last edited by Elssa; 06/19/14 01:39 AM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Elssa and Ed, please talk more about how you learned organ and trials and tribulations related to that. Did you have a teacher? How did they teach it vs. piano?

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was blessed with some great organ teachers over the years back then. smile

Bob Maidhof: I took 2-3 years of lessons with him when I was a teen. He was only about 5 years older than me but was already the regular organist at Radio City Music Hall, so he had great advice on playing theater style organ music! He eventually moved to NJ. He taught me things like walking bass with the pedals (Mack the Knife), as well as lots of wonderful show tunes and Latin rhythm patterns - just about everything! smile

http://www.gstos.org/BobMaidhof.htm

Ross Carnegie: Another wonderful teacher, more jazzy and into "modern harmony". Ross played the Hammond and used to take it with him to his gigs with his band. He could play organ and piano equally well! I loved the way he sometimes combined classical themes with the standards. A unique and extraordinary musician/teacher:

http://rosscarnegiepianostudio.com/

http://rosscarnegiepianostudio.com/audio1.html

http://rosscarnegiepianostudio.com/biography.html

http://rosscarnegiepianostudio.com/slideshow/gallery.html

Last edited by Elssa; 06/19/14 02:59 AM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Elssa, Cumana and Brazil - I used to love to play them on the organ. There are some songs that just work.

I had to get rid of the Hammond sometime in the 1990s. Now I have a Yamaha DP.

JW, I took lessons very briefly, less than a year, but they were intense. My teacher was an organist at a local nightclub. He started out as an accordion player, adapted to organ as an adult. His main claim to fame was that he had played for Stalin at Potsdam! Anyway, he was a very structured teacher - every week he gave me a new scale, a new arpeggio, a new rhythmic pattern, and a new set of chords, a new page from Hannon for the Accordion, as well as a lead sheet of a song to work on. As I said, the lessons did not last long because I was transferred overseas; but they were invaluable because - what I learned was - how to learn!

I only remember him emphasizing a few specifics re the difference between organ and piano - basic stuff like: don't pound, don't play chords so low on the keyboard, stop playing the piano on the organ, press don't strike, practice both legato and staccato.

Later, I got a bunch of Bill Irwin books; they were quite good for learning how to integrate LH and foot pedals to make accompaniment patterns, walking bass patterns, stuff like that.

Also, I think I learned a lot by listening and imitating.

I don't think I ever had any organized instruction re registration changes, just learned about all that by messing around.

Ed

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission