2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26
OK, that makes sense. My impression is that the additional pianos are not really independent pianos, but are just modifications of the original piano. Maybe some filtering or such. This was my complaint of the Yamaha P105 that I tried. If you very much disliked the first piano, there is no way you could like the second piano, as there wasn't really a substantial difference.

Well, no matter, it just means if I really want something different, I'll have to get a software piano to use on the FP-50. The FP-50 piano sound is not bad and will do for practice, and it may even grow on me. But it would have been nice to have some real piano variation options.

Thanks,

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rest assured that they are different instruments. Not just EQ or filtering.

Jay

Industry Consultant
I am not sure how one would define different instruments. I am a piano beginner, so I am not that sophisticated when it comes to piano sounds, but I can't hear very much difference between concert, ballade and bright.

Now, for those with the FP-50 that have noticed the lower 1/3 of the piano seems a bit loud, have any of you got a recommended EQ setting for me? I have no experience with any kind of EQ, so I would be just groping in the dark. While playing 2 notes in the right hand and one in the left, the 2 right hand notes were overwhelmed by the sound of the left hand note.

I tried playing some chords on the left side of the key board and below about F2 the chords sounded pretty bad. Much more unmusical than my acoustic piano, except where the even lower notes on my acoustic are just not in tune. Can one of the setting be at fault, maybe the reverb? In the morning I'll try shutting everything off.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Tuneless
I am not sure how one would define different instruments. I am a piano beginner, so I am not that sophisticated when it comes to piano sounds, but I can't hear very much difference between concert, ballade and bright.

Now, for those with the FP-50 that have noticed the lower 1/3 of the piano seems a bit loud, have any of you got a recommended EQ setting for me? I have no experience with any kind of EQ, so I would be just groping in the dark. While playing 2 notes in the right hand and one in the left, the 2 right hand notes were overwhelmed by the sound of the left hand note.

I tried playing some chords on the left side of the key board and below about F2 the chords sounded pretty bad. Much more unmusical than my acoustic piano, except where the even lower notes on my acoustic are just not in tune. Can one of the setting be at fault, maybe the reverb? In the morning I'll try shutting everything off.

Having not played the FP-50, I can't comment on whether it's an issue with the instrument. However, in general, pianos are louder in the lower notes and so when you play you do have to make effort to play the lower notes softer and the higher notes louder if that's the balance needed in the piece (which is usually the case). Most DPs try to emulate a grand piano vs. upright, so this particular trait may not be as apparent in your acoustic upright.

This could also account for the problem you are having with chords down low. Generally playing chords in the lower part of a piano don't sound good, especially when in a very close position. This is often why you see LH arpeggiations or just playing two notes of a chord farther apart. Otherwise they tend to sound muddy.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Well, that may be the case, but being a beginner I am not expecting to have a lot of control over such things, so I may do a little reduction in the low end. I think I will make a note of all the defaults values, then turn off all the personalization options, and start to add them back in very slowly as I practice.

To Jay, I don't see any mention in the manuals of updating the OS. I also see on the Roland site 2 files that look like up dates.

dpiano_w81d_v101.zip
fp50_sys_v110.zip

But there are no instructions any where on how to update, and I don't know how to interrogate my FP-50 to see if they are needed. The ID# is Z2D1072 if that gives some info on build date and therefore some idea of the need to update the OS.

Thanks all,

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Googling 'Roland FP50 update' should take you to this page:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=FP-50&id=63060454

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Thank you James, that is exactly what I needed. I have 1.02 currently, so that up date will be the first order of business.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Cynthia,

if you need personal support for any aspect of operating your new FP-50, Roland Corporation US will be happy to assist.

Here's a link with all the contact information you'll need.

http://www.rolandus.com/company/contact_us/

Jay

Last edited by Jay Roland; 06/19/14 05:37 PM.

Industry Consultant
Thank you Jay.

You know, one of this things I didn't realize now for the last year, is that I was in fact quite inhibited playing and practicing on the acoustic piano, not just at night, or when hubby was taking a nap. I was clearly conscious of another person hearing every note that I hit, in addition to the concern for banging on my 125 year old piano that I would have to repair if I pushed it too far for such an old instrument.

I also had the pain of hearing a really bright note as the hammers were hardening up after filing, and then another one or 2 added to that. Those notes were jarring to the nerves, as I had the front panel off to touch up the tuning until it stabilized. Sure, I knew what to do to fix them, but that was the problem that I faced, every time I tore the acoustic apart, I had nothing to practice on. This left me rushing the repairs in a way I shouldn't to get back to having something to play.

Now I feel quite uninhibited to just mess around with the piano all I like with the head phones on, and use what ever volume setting sounds good to me.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
M
M
Thank you Jay.

You know, one of this things I didn't realize now for the last year, is that I was in fact quite inhibited playing and practicing on the acoustic piano, not just at night, or when hubby was taking a nap. I was clearly conscious of another person hearing every note that I hit, in addition to the concern for banging on my 125 year old piano that I would have to repair if I pushed it too far for such an old instrument.

I also had the pain of hearing a really bright note as the hammers were hardening up after filing, and then another one or 2 added to that. Those notes were jarring to the nerves, as I had the front panel off to touch up the tuning until it stabilized. Sure, I knew what to do to fix them, but that was the problem that I faced, every time I tore the acoustic apart, I had nothing to practice on. This left me rushing the repairs in a way I shouldn't to get back to having something to play.

Now I feel quite uninhibited to just mess around with the piano all I like with the head phones on, and use what ever volume setting sounds good to me.

I agree. There are times you don't want people to hear your annoying, repetitive practice, or improvisations, or what have you, and headphones allow the privacy needed.

Don't give up on your acoustic, though. It may take a bit to get it where you want it, but it's worth the work in the end (unless it's really a piece of firewood, then it's not smile ).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
No, not going to give up, certainly. I have already reworked the action to take care of old glue, cracked flanges, and some weak shanks. The hammers are the original hammers in only modestly worn condition, amazing for the age. But they are hard as rocks. So I will work my way up to voicing them, but want to start gently, as over doing it will ruin them. Among what needs to be done is some gluing of cracked bridges in the high treble, near a strut. So, I anticipate the piano will be down for some time when I finally get going.

I have a link to pictures in my signature line. You'll see it is a very nice Victorian design. It also has a pretty nice sound now that I have something to compare to.

I think the FP-50 will work out really well, as the keys feel very much like my upright, so it should be a seamless transition between the 2 pianos. The sound of the Roland is OK, not as nice as the acoustic, but much better to my ears than the Yamahas.

I will say, tho, that the weight is just on the edge of what I can handle. Glad I didn't let my hubby talk me into something heavier.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
M
M
No, not going to give up, certainly. I have already reworked the action to take care of old glue, cracked flanges, and some weak shanks. The hammers are the original hammers in only modestly worn condition, amazing for the age. But they are hard as rocks. So I will work my way up to voicing them, but want to start gently, as over doing it will ruin them. Among what needs to be done is some gluing of cracked bridges in the high treble, near a strut. So, I anticipate the piano will be down for some time when I finally get going.

I have a link to pictures in my signature line. You'll see it is a very nice Victorian design. It also has a pretty nice sound now that I have something to compare to.

I think the FP-50 will work out really well, as the keys feel very much like my upright, so it should be a seamless transition between the 2 pianos. The sound of the Roland is OK, not as nice as the acoustic, but much better to my ears than the Yamahas.

I will say, tho, that the weight is just on the edge of what I can handle. Glad I didn't let my hubby talk me into something heavier.
Beautiful piano! Can't wait to hear it when it's back in shape smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
About the low end of the FP-50. A few chords do sound more palatable just below F2 if I play them much more softly. But, now that I have turned off all the personalization functions, the low end still sounds to intense. And it starts right at the F2. I am not the most educated listener for piano sound, but it is pretty clear to me that there is a character change in the sound starting right at F2 compared to G2.

So, I guess I will be experimenting with EQ. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial for how to work with EQ on digital pianos?

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Now I don't know what think.

After reading up on EQ, I realized it was not going to do what I wanted. Then the thought struck me that maybe there was an error in the instrument and one of the various personalization adjustments was not turned off for those keys, and even maybe it was on full. So I went back to the FP-50 last night intending to turn on and off some of these settings and see if there was a change in the low end, only to discover that the problem is gone.

I tried it again this morning and it is still gone. I hope it isn't a loose connection that is going to haunt me. Between working/nice and not working/too intense, I had moved the unit from sitting on a few cardboard boxes to sitting on the KS7150 stand. Could the slightly soft boxes have caused some warping of the keyboard and the effect I noticed before moving to a more rigid and presumably flatter surface?

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
S
S
I had moved the unit from sitting on a few cardboard boxes to sitting on the KS7150 stand. Could the slightly soft boxes have caused some warping of the keyboard and the effect I noticed before moving to a more rigid and presumably flatter surface?

The bass reproduction of the FP-50's speakers was very likely impaired by placing the instrument on top of cardboard boxes! A rigid stand will allow the speakers and any ports in the cabinet to function as intended.

You might also notice some variation in sound when you simply move the instrument to a different position in the room. At certain locations in the room, the volume of some notes may be accentuated by so-called standing waves or resonant frequencies inherent in the size and shape of the room itself. This would be an acoustic phenomenon, not a characteristic of the instrument, and would not be audible when using headphones.

Cheers,

Ben

This weirdness was not room related or for that mater speaker related, as it was in the head phones too. So, I will just have to see what happens over time.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
G
G
Edited due to lack of relevance.

Last edited by Gretel; 06/23/14 01:46 AM.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
OK, there really is something wrong with my FP-50. I am getting a resonance on some of the low notes thru the speakers AND in the earphones. At first I noted a loud resonance in G2 when struck fairly hard (I do that sometimes when I am trying to hit the right note) and checking the other lower keys, I also noted that G1 had a resonance. Then, after a little playing some more, G1 wasn't a problem but B1 was terrible. So, what ever this is, it moves around. The volume slider was up about half way.

So, I guess my next endeavor is to learn how to use my Zoom H-1 microphone, and how to use a sound sharing site. Have never done that before.

Now, would any one like to try to figure out what kind of thing is wrong with my FP-50? I really would not like to have to send it back, as the company does not have more of these in stock except for a blemished one. I suspect they were closing these out.

It is also unfortunate that I am in Prescott, and will probably have to shlup this down to a shop in Phoenix, at least 2 hours away. It would be just my luck to have the problem move some more and not show up at all when it gets to the repair shop. I may just have to play this until the problem becomes more permanent.

Would it be better to start a new thread so that others might read about this and give opinions?

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello Cynthia,
that sure is strange: "...after a little playing some more, G1 wasn't a problem but B1 was terrible. So, what ever this is, it moves around."
Did you change anything? Is it with all three piano sounds or did you use only one piano sound?

"to use my Zoom H-1 microphone" - You can record directly in the FP-50 itself. All you need is a USB stick and stick it in the slot on the back of the piano. Record WAV (you have to set it in the settings). Listen to it over the piano. Is it still there? Listen to it over an other system - is it there too? If yes, post the sample to sound cloud or whatever and let us hear it.

ps: If all goes wrong you can preform a factory reset (in the manual page 35). Maybe this will solve any problems that occurred using wrong settings.

Last edited by Cmin; 06/24/14 05:23 AM.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
M
M
OK, there really is something wrong with my FP-50. I am getting a resonance on some of the low notes thru the speakers AND in the earphones. At first I noted a loud resonance in G2 when struck fairly hard (I do that sometimes when I am trying to hit the right note) and checking the other lower keys, I also noted that G1 had a resonance. Then, after a little playing some more, G1 wasn't a problem but B1 was terrible. So, what ever this is, it moves around. The volume slider was up about half way.

So, I guess my next endeavor is to learn how to use my Zoom H-1 microphone, and how to use a sound sharing site. Have never done that before.

Now, would any one like to try to figure out what kind of thing is wrong with my FP-50? I really would not like to have to send it back, as the company does not have more of these in stock except for a blemished one. I suspect they were closing these out.

It is also unfortunate that I am in Prescott, and will probably have to shlup this down to a shop in Phoenix, at least 2 hours away. It would be just my luck to have the problem move some more and not show up at all when it gets to the repair shop. I may just have to play this until the problem becomes more permanent.

Would it be better to start a new thread so that others might read about this and give opinions?

I know it's a pain, but if you have to return the unit to the store and just buy another one elsewhere, do that. I wouldn't wait and continue to mess around with it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission