Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2292568 - 06/20/14 01:30 PM Cool Recent Finds
Jasper82 Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor MI
So, about a month or two ago I got a new instrument off an ad on craigslist.

It's a Yamaha EL-25 organ. It's pretty nice actually. Only one owner, and everything is in good condition. The only problem is it has been assembled sort of flimsily so you have to move it very carefully.

It has two keyboards, one with a lower octave and one with a higher octave, but it's nice because you can play in the same register with the two keyboards. It's sounds are sort of bread and butter tones, with guitar, piano, 'cosmic' (which sounds pretty cool) and a nice harmonica as well as a few others that I can't remember. I like putting the cosmic sound on the lower keyboard and harmonica on the higher one.

There's even a reverb which you can easily adjust for all the parts.

The nice thing about it are the different organs. There's 'classic', 'theater', and a few jazz organs.

I like the theater organs the most.

The crazy thing is this machine was 3000$ new back in 1994 and I got it for about 400$. The action is really nice and feels good to play.

It also has the pedal keyboard, and can put out some serious bass. Though I haven't mastered playing with my feet yet. It's nice to just hold down a pedal tone and fiddle around in a scale or what not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then in the last week or so I heard about a keyboard at the used music instrument store. The guy who owns the store knows me and knows that I really liked the wurlitzer electric piano he had about a year or two ago. So he let me know that he had gotten this vintage electronic piano. Now it's not mechanical in the sense that there are tines being struck with a hammer. It is completely electronic but the action feels like a real rhodes or wurlitzer. I actually like it more than the wurly because it's sort of an quirky yet raw and interesting electronic sound. I really enjoy playing it.

Right now, I run the output (it has no speakers) to a mixer, which has two yamaha HS50m montiors set up, as well as sending to a small vintage solid state amplifier. So with the mixer, i can add a bit of reverb and chorus, and it gets very full sounding, but to the right of my setup the norma amp puts out a scratchy gritty trebley sound. So I'm using a stereo setup plus the old amp.

Oh i forgot to mention, the keyboard is a Yamaha CP20. It has fake wood grain finish and the legs come off for transporting it. It also has some cool holographic stickers of baseball teams on it, and in the evening when the sun shines in my room it becomes a little rainbow on the keyboard.

So there are two piano tones, and two harpischord tones. They are not realistic, but you can crossfade from piano to harpsichord to get different balances of tones. There is also a nice tremelo that is adjustable, as well as a pitch control so you can tune it to other instruments. it also has a bass and treble control with is nice because I don't have to mess with my mixer to dial in more bass or to adjust the sound. There is also a volume knob.

It is really nice. When I play it it sounds so interesting, more interesting detail than my organ... but I should still play my organ, I just haven't since I got the CP20.

The action is weighted so it plays dynamically really well. It was made in the late 70's so I don't fully grasp how it tracks the velocity. It's pre-MIDI so it's a mystery how it works. but it works well so I can't complain.

I traded my acoustic guitar to get the CP20 and I enjoy it a lot more than the guitar. I was getting bored of guitar. On keyboard instruments I can really improvise and play things differently everytime, but guitar i get stuck going back to things I've played before.

I can always find a cheap guitar so I'm happy I was able to get the CP20.

Now I'm considering having a piano mover to move my acoustic piano to my room so I have lot's to choose from when I want to play.

Sometimes I feel like selling my acoustic ( 1964 baldwin hamilton 45" studio) because I don't play it often. That's partly because it's in a common area of the house. My mom doesn't want me to sell it, she reminds me that it's a hard thing to replace. I did get a good quality piano for a reason.

So maybe I shouldn't sell it. I should keep it and maybe move it to my room so I can play it more privately, and hopefully more often.

Well, thanks for following along with my on my adventure.

JD
http://jdsy.bandcamp.com/album/solo-piano-improv

#2292569 - 06/20/14 01:34 PM Re: Cool Recent Finds [Re: Jasper82]
Jasper82 Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor MI
here's a picture of the organ::::: http://tinyurl.com/nnkyq2j
(actually that is a different model. looks similar)

this is what the CP20 looks like::::: http://tinyurl.com/l4sc7zo
and the inside::::: http://tinyurl.com/ptglpdh

Thanks for checking out my new finds.

Edited by Jasper82 (06/20/14 01:36 PM)
http://jdsy.bandcamp.com/album/solo-piano-improv

#2304248 - 07/20/14 12:37 AM Re: Cool Recent Finds [Re: Jasper82]
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Back in 1978 I had a Yamaha CP-30 and an ancient Wurlitzer electric piano, with tines and a pedal. The Yamaha had MIDI and the Wurlitzer had a nest of dead mice inside.

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
67 registered (Altair, Alex75001, bennevis, aesop, 21 invisible), 978 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157662 Topics
2315786 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission