Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2292753 - 06/20/14 08:51 PM Hailun 161 vs johannes seiler gs-160
Wildwest Offline

Hi everyone, I've been perusing the forums and enjoying everyone's comments. My question is regarding the purchase of a new hailun grand 161 vs a new johannes seiler gs-160. My wife and I tested both today and like the sound and action of both pianos. The price us the same $9800. From the forums I've been able to read quite a bit about the hailun and it sounds like a good entry level piano and tends to be a good value for what is being paid. I can't find much on the johannes seiler. I understand it is assembled in Indonesia. I think it is newer to the us market. It sounds nice. The particular dealer I was spewing with ( he is carrying both pianos) said his personal preference is the johannes seiler. Any thoughts? Thanks

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2292755 - 06/20/14 09:02 PM Re: Hailun 161 vs johannes seiler gs-160 [Re: Wildwest]
PhilipInChina Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: China
Spewing?

#2292813 - 06/21/14 12:51 AM Re: Hailun 161 vs johannes seiler gs-160 [Re: Wildwest]
Wildwest Offline

Hmmm, yeah that should say speaking smile

#2292818 - 06/21/14 01:22 AM Re: Hailun 161 vs johannes seiler gs-160 [Re: Wildwest]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Do you play, if so approx what level? Do you have a preference?

Did you like the "feel" and touch of the Hailun or Seiler?

I haven't played a Seiler yet, but have played the Hailuns. I crossed Hailuns out of consideration because I hated the key tops and the keyboard. Felt cheap and clunky.

The tone was Ok, but still a little shallow to me.

#2292923 - 06/21/14 10:25 AM Re: Hailun 161 vs johannes seiler gs-160 [Re: Wildwest]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Hailun has been making and marketing the 161 for nearly a decade. The model has proven to be a good piano for its price. The Seiler model hasn't been around all that long. Samick Music (SMC) rescued the German brand Seiler from bankruptcy a few years ago and took advantage of Seiler's knowledge and prestige to give its own Indonesian product a facelift. I wouldn't hold that against the Seiler/Samick models. Samick has proven in the past that it can make good pianos under a wide variety of names.

The salesman's personal preference may be just that, but it's also possible that the shop would rather move one of these pianos than the other for business reasons. You and your wife should keep playing them until your own preference emerges. My guess is that you're safe with either piano.

Originally Posted By: Wildwest
My wife and I tested both today and like the sound and action of both pianos.

Originally Posted By: Michaelha

It would do no harm to compare the keytops of the two pianos, but I would downplay the value of comments made by someone who igores the information you already provided and posts his hatred of one of these brands. I've been playing pianos, good and not-so-good, for a long time. I've pitied some, but never hated a single one.

#2293051 - 06/21/14 03:50 PM Re: Hailun 161 vs johannes seiler gs-160 [Re: turandot]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: turandot

Originally Posted By: Michaelha

It would do no harm to compare the keytops of the two pianos, but I would downplay the value of comments made by someone who igores the information you already provided and posts his hatred of one of these brands. I've been playing pianos, good and not-so-good, for a long time. I've pitied some, but never hated a single one.

Sorry, perhaps hate is too strong a word. I didn't like the keytops but I might be a little more sensitive to keytops. Similarly, I have a hard time playing on really old pianos with old and damaged ivory keytops. I think it's a valid feature to consider.

Somewhat related, I'm shopping for a new DSLR camera and a lot of criticism I've received from friends is they really don't like Canon's case materials, feels cheap and weak to them. And that played into picking a different brand.

Actually, I don't hate Hailun at all. I like their story, just don't love their pianos yet.

#2293067 - 06/21/14 04:16 PM Re: Hailun 161 vs johannes seiler gs-160 [Re: Wildwest]
Wildwest Offline

Thanks for your responses. I definitely plan on spending more time playing both. I know that neither one has a real long track record, but the johannes seiler in particular seems pretty new to the market so it is tougher to know what to expect

#2293098 - 06/21/14 05:17 PM Re: Hailun 161 vs johannes seiler gs-160 [Re: Wildwest]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
In comparing the 2 tonally, I would describe the Hailun 161 as more complex and Johannes Seiler 160 as more clear. Our Johannes Seilers arrive more mellow, and we will voice the Hailuns down if we want the same warmth. The Hailun has a stronger low bass and can be dynamically louder than the Johannes Seiler, but the clear tone in the melody area of that Johannes Seiler is unusually outstanding.

They certainly have different tonal identities such that, so far, all of our customers have expressed a strong preference for one or the other.

The keytops for the Johannes are typical smooth. Hailun has very, very light texture to the naturals and ebony (naturally textured) sharps. Sometimes there is compound on the ebony that has to be rubbed off a brand new instrument, but that is only temporary. For most customers, the subtle textures are preferred.

While Johannes Seiler series is newer to the market, they are from an established brand and established maker built to compete with other mid-level makers with a combination of mid-level & premium components. It's not really a mystery as to their future - with proper maintenance, it will be a fine piano for decades to come. Given the strong push and focusing of brands from the builder, it will gain in reputation. Hailun certainly has.

Good luck in your search!
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2293100 - 06/21/14 05:20 PM Re: Hailun 161 vs johannes seiler gs-160 [Re: Wildwest]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
I don't have tons of "seat time" with these models, but have tried both. You will note both of them (the Cunningham 5'4" is related to the Hailun 161) and the Seiler GS-160 are both Piano Buyer "Staff Picks" that, in my limited experience, performed quite well for the price.

If the dealers prepped the pianos well, and you enjoyed your experience at both stores, and you have the time, I'd go back and play a while longer on both instruments, uninterrupted, until you find the one that "fits" you (and your space) the best.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
4 vs 3, Practice slow or fast?
by Pover
09/19/14 07:24 AM
Cable Nelson Upright
by Paul678
09/19/14 07:12 AM
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
09/19/14 05:18 AM
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
09/19/14 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
09/19/14 12:54 AM
Who's Online
91 registered (anotherscott, 36251, barbaram, alexbergauer, Adypiano, 27 invisible), 1054 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157621 Topics
2315176 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission