2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I like classical. I'm not much good at playing it. I do understand that in the U.S., classical (lumping together baroque, romantic, classical) has maybe 1% market share in terms of revenue, and listeners.

More than a few friends simply can not stand classical and will not listen to it, will not go near it. I see this as typical.

Unusual is a person that will enthusiastically attend a classical concert. There is a local classical concert series (Classical Crossroads in Torrance, CA) that I have told many local people about. Maybe 5% have any interest at all. Cost is not an issue, because the admission is give whatever you like, or nothing at all. No one is turned away.

Quality is unlikely to be the issue, because the performers are very good. Many are competition winners, others have advanced music degrees. All are excellent and accomplished musicians.

The issue is that most people would rather do something else than listen to classical music. The Piano World forums tend to be classically dominated so the responses do not surprise me. I'd guess 80% like and play classical and about 50% spend at least half their piano time on the genre.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by noobpianist90
What about Jazzy classical music like some of Debussy, Ravel or Faure? Do you even find those to be annoying?

I don't consider Debussy and Ravel to be jazz. There are jazzers like Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter who have taken their sounds and been influenced by them. There is a subset called "Impressionist jazz" from Herbie's early days that follows that.

Here's a guy doing a jazzy/classical song, a Russian composer:

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Thanks for sharing the video. it was nice!

Ravel's piano concerto in G Major sounds quite a bit like Jazz to me. Also, some of Debussy's preludes sound like Jazz. For example, Général Lavine – eccentric from Book 2.

Anyway, to each their own. I enjoy most forms of music, but I just can't digest dubstep, which I consider to be semi rhythmic noise grin

I guess we all have that something which we just don't like.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by The Wind
Originally Posted by noobpianist90
What about Jazzy classical music like some of Debussy, Ravel or Faure? Do you even find those to be annoying?
I don't consider Debussy and Ravel to be jazz.
I don't think anyone does. noobpianist said Jazzy classical, that is, classical with jazz influences.

I think most classical enthusiasts accept that their preference is a minority one and always will be. It certainly doesn't bother me to be part of this minority. I'm happy to like what I like and let others like what they like. But classical is a vast area, far wider than a few 19th century piano pieces. If someone really wanted to find some classical they could like, they'd probably be able to. But they might have to explore a bit.

Du holde Kunst...
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I gotta say, every time I hear classical music I can't stand it. No matter what style or kind. It drives me nuts!!

We finally agree on something. Most classical music I don't like. Especially stuff before the late 1800s. A lot of 20th century stuff I don't like either, but there are some outstanding exceptions:

I love Debussy, Ravel, Mussorgsky, Elgar's 'Cockaigne Overtures" and some things along those lines.

There are other genres of music I don't like, like rap or country or new age

I'm generally with you on this, but there's some hiphop I like a lot, it tends to be groovy: Digable Planets, A Tribe Called Quest, Camp Lo.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Plowboy, good and bad music can come from the same artist. Many musicians have put out crappy albums in the name of profits after building their image and popularity.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Gary
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Help! I'm drowning in ignorance!

Regards,

Polyphonist
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Help! I'm agreeing with Polyphonist!

If you can't find something to like in all eras of music, you're listening with your biases and not your ears.

Can't stand most Hip-Hop but I get a kick out of the audacity and creativity of Lil John and Die Antwoord.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
T
OP Offline
T
No, I can't stand any classical music. No matter what kind. I immediately want to jazz up the tune and throw in some cool jazz chords.

It's like a bad allergic reaction whenever I hear it.

poly you need a lifeline or a cracker pal. i'll throw you both.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
It's like a bad allergic reaction whenever I hear it.
Sure, sure.

F
F
Most times, on these extreme cases, it has something underneath this. I mean, you can dislike a genre, of course, but starting a thread on PW saying you're allergic to it, writing on a thread on the "pianist forum" (known to be predominantly classical) that classical musicians have no rhythm, no "sense of melody", etc... I don't want to be judgmental, I don't know you... but yeah, this is all very strange.

Now, where is Mark_C when you need him?

T
OP Offline
T
This is the non-classical forum or did you not notice.

F
F
I don't get your point.
And I don't wan't to sound rude, or by no means attack you. All I'm saying is to look up into this "allergic feeling" of yours towards classical music, it'll do you good, trust me.

I hope to hear a recording from you playing your beloved Jazz! I enjoy it very much too.

Cheers

T
OP Offline
T
cheers Francisco. We should all be so civil. In due time you will here my jazz. Perhaps you already have and didn't know it. In any case there are many masters of all music to supply us with joy for a lifetime.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I gotta say, every time I hear classical music I can't stand it. No matter what style or kind. It drives me nuts!!

My dad listens to it in the kitchen daily while eating dinner, and I just go to another room or outside. Let's just say we all eat at separate times!

There are other genres of music I don't like, like rap or country or new age, but they don't get on my nerves like classical.

Basically the only thing I enjoy is pure jazz or classic rock. I am very picky with my musical tastes.

Any other people feel the same way towards classical?

What a nice homey family........ grin grin grin

Cheers,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
Strange post.
It's like posting on a food lovers website that all you can eat is chips and cabbage and that eating anything else makes you sick.
Who cares? Go to a doctor or something.
There are plenty of people like you who hate most music.

What do u mean by classical? Anything that uses violins? Are u talking date wise e.g 1500 - 2014 or what. It would be interesting to know the exact phobia is called.

Sounds like a windup to me. However it did make me chuckle.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I believe "the wind" has left the building. If I had to guess, involuntarily. wink

I'm primarily a jazz player (in case you haven't figured that out by now grin ) but have been playing classical music, along with listening to it for close to 40 years.

While I don't consider myself anywhere near as proficient (in their world) as some of the "pianists" I've heard in the classical section of PW - I do know my overall jazz musical voice, from a technical and an emotional perspective, would be far less expansive and open - had I never studied and practiced (and listened to) Chopin/Debussy Etudes, Bach WTC, Ravel's Le tombeau de Couperin. As well as other miscellaneous pieces by composers ranging from Beethoven to Bartok to Scarlatti to Mompou to Brahms.

Many jazz pianists have made Classical music, both playing & listening, an integral part of their development. From big name guys like - Oscar Peterson, Jarrett , Bill Evans, Chick Corea, Brubeck, Ahmad Jamal, George Shearing, Brad Mehldau (to name just a very few). And that's not counting the hundreds , maybe thousands (if you figure in both past & present) , of jazz people not as famous or players you might never hear of..but still play their a** off.

Personally I find it musically stimulating to keep working on the pieces or occasionally learn something new I might hear on the radio that's within my technical reach. It can get old just playing Bb Blues, Rhythm changes, Stablemates, Moment's Notice, Whisper Not , How deep is the ocean, etc. sometimes..as much as I love Bird & Bud wink

The main thing is to have the inspiration to stay practicing and connected to the instrument as we get older. It can be hard.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I believe "the wind" has left the building. If I had to guess, involuntarily. wink

Not the first time it's happened

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Classical music effectively forms the basis for all Western music.

To say you don't like classical music is the same as saying you don't like music. Period.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by gsmonks
Classical music effectively forms the basis for all Western music.

To say you don't like classical music is the same as saying you don't like music. Period.

There's a zillion forms of music and we don't need to like them all. I personally find a lot of pre-1800s classical music pretty boring and repetitive, so I don't listen to it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission