Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
144 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, antony, 36251, 37 invisible), 1791 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2294657 - 06/25/14 04:34 AM Need a bit of advice finalizing my decision.
Indra123 Offline

I moved into an apartment about 2 months ago and have been craving piano.

I mainly play stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCqUxWCUnBg

However I like a lot of classical stuff too. And I don't really like pop.

Currently my budget is around 1000 USD. The first pianos I ran into whilst searching that caught my eye where the Casio Privia series, followed by the Yamaha P155.

If I were to go with the Privia, I would get the PX350 for the nice recording feature. The Yamaha, I hear, is great too - if anyone knows Kyle Landry on YouTube, that's the piano he uses, and he's quite popular.

So, it would probably be those 2. I also read the sticky about pianos under 1000$. Another one that looked nice is the Kawai ES7. (or was it the ES100. Not sure what the difference is).

I want to get as much information as I can before I make the purchase. I haven't really bothered with Roland - but I did look at a Korg FP7. It looked decent but it was a little too expensive and the sound wasn't particularly great, in my subjective opinion. What Roland pianos should I consider?

I just want a sturdy piano that I can record and upload videos with. This means a Aux/Line in and out. Are the ones listed good choices? What do you recommend? Anything I should know?

Oh yeah, and what's with those X-stands? They don't look sturdy at all, they start to wobble around when you start getting aggressive, which is a big turn off; but I haven't used it personally so I don't know if it will bug me that much...but it looks very annoying. Even the 'upgraded' stands seem to have a bit of that issue.

Thank you all.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2294684 - 06/25/14 06:28 AM Re: Need a bit of advice finalizing my decision. [Re: Indra123]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Very impressive vid, and worthy of the best keyboard in the best piano you can afford! Classics? Other instruments may distract, I`d probably go for the Kawai ES7 which has a decent keyboard, or better.

But I`m not as good as that guy, so I didn`t have to.

""

#2294728 - 06/25/14 09:15 AM Re: Need a bit of advice finalizing my decision. [Re: Indra123]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Indra123
Oh yeah, and what's with those X-stands? They don't look sturdy at all, they start to wobble around when you start getting aggressive, which is a big turn off; but I haven't used it personally so I don't know if it will bug me that much...but it looks very annoying. Even the 'upgraded' stands seem to have a bit of that issue.

Thank you all.

Regardless of the piano you get, I would suggest always getting the furniture stand that comes with it. Those X-stands behave just as you describe.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2294733 - 06/25/14 09:28 AM Re: Need a bit of advice finalizing my decision. [Re: dmd]
Lester Burnham Offline

Originally Posted By: dmd

Thank you all.

Regardless of the piano you get, I would suggest always getting the furniture stand that comes with it. Those X-stands behave just as you describe.

I'd agree if you're going to use it in one place and not swap and change around.

I'd been on the lookout for a second digital piano for an upstairs room, and when (in the UK) discounted bundles of the PX-150 with the pukka stand and pedal board were floated, that's when I took the plunge.

#2294736 - 06/25/14 09:35 AM Re: Need a bit of advice finalizing my decision. [Re: Indra123]
David Farley Offline

Loc: Illinois
Just out of curiosity, doesn't anybody use Z-stands? That's what I have both my DPs on. Much more stable than an X-stand, and still portable.

#2294761 - 06/25/14 10:37 AM Re: Need a bit of advice finalizing my decision. [Re: Indra123]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I have a Z stand that came with my MP11. It can hold that beast just fine and feels very sturdy, but I would prefer a table stand for the leg room. I generally sit pretty far back from the keys, so it's usually not an issue.

To the OP: the Kawai ES7 is an awesome piano, but way over your $1,000 budget. I believe you are talking about the ES100.

Of all the pianos mentioned, I recommend the Casio PX-350. I think that would be the best use of your money. Kawai makes great DPs on the higher end, but in this price point the Casio beats them all, IMO.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2294845 - 06/25/14 01:54 PM Re: Need a bit of advice finalizing my decision. [Re: Indra123]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
I agree that the Casio PX-350 is probably the best choice in your price range. It has a really great action (very responsive and with a good feel in my opinion) for the price, and a quite nice range of sounds. I used to have an older casio privia as a practice piano, and it was quite decent. The most recent privias blow the older models out of the water in terms of quality. It also has a ton of other features that might be fun to play with, like lots of rhythm and accompaniment patterns to play with.

#2294858 - 06/25/14 02:23 PM Re: Need a bit of advice finalizing my decision. [Re: fizikisto]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
THere have been threads about keyboard stands here -- try the "search" function.

Something like this would probably do the job:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/K-M-Table-style-keyboard-stand-450498-i1323211.gc

And on "guitarcenter.com", a search for "keyboard stand" will get you lots of hits, including Z-stands and that K&M stand.

I have a PX-350, and like it. Very good price/performance. I occasionally take it out of the house, so I've been using an X-stand, rather than a "furniture stand". The "double-braced" X-stands aren't bad; the single-braced ones are a bit flimsy, IMHO. If you like to sit close to the keyboard, something with an open knee area (like that K&M stand) will be better than an X-stand.

Hiding in Youtube, there's a video on building a piano stand from Gibraltar drum-kit components. It's very solid, and only moderately expensive. And I found it for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlcErM3BRc&feature=kp

Have fun!

. Charles

. Charles

#2294863 - 06/25/14 02:27 PM Re: Need a bit of advice finalizing my decision. [Re: Indra123]
PatrickBl Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia

Thank you all.

I gather that X stands aren't very popular around here. I admit that if I'd had any money left for an alternate, sturdier, stand I would have investigated. However, I went for a cheap double-braced X stand and I've found it as solid as a rock. It has a meaty Kawai mp7 on it which might help. Perhaps it would be less stable with a lightweight such as Casio PX5s.

Patrick.

#2301348 - 07/12/14 12:40 AM Re: Need a bit of advice finalizing my decision. [Re: Charles Cohen]
Indra123 Offline

Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
THere have been threads about keyboard stands here -- try the "search" function.

Something like this would probably do the job:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/K-M-Table-style-keyboard-stand-450498-i1323211.gc

And on "guitarcenter.com", a search for "keyboard stand" will get you lots of hits, including Z-stands and that K&M stand.

I have a PX-350, and like it. Very good price/performance. I occasionally take it out of the house, so I've been using an X-stand, rather than a "furniture stand". The "double-braced" X-stands aren't bad; the single-braced ones are a bit flimsy, IMHO. If you like to sit close to the keyboard, something with an open knee area (like that K&M stand) will be better than an X-stand.

Hiding in Youtube, there's a video on building a piano stand from Gibraltar drum-kit components. It's very solid, and only moderately expensive. And I found it for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlcErM3BRc&feature=kp

Have fun!

. Charles

. Charles

That is quite amazing. All those parts seem like a pain to acquire, though. I'll probably go for a Z stand or thatK&M one. Thanks so much for your reply.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations at Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help picking a Beethoven Piano Sonata Slow movement
by oaklandraiders76
12/20/14 04:50 PM
What are some great ways to learn the blues?
by brucepiano
12/20/14 04:37 PM
Do you recommend an undercover on upright with Dampp-Chaser?
by thestar
12/20/14 03:56 PM
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
12/20/14 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
12/20/14 01:37 PM
Forum Stats
77374 Members
42 Forums
160020 Topics
2349924 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission