2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, 5 invisible), 1,339 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
I moved into an apartment about 2 months ago and have been craving piano.

I mainly play stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCqUxWCUnBg

However I like a lot of classical stuff too. And I don't really like pop.

Currently my budget is around 1000 USD. The first pianos I ran into whilst searching that caught my eye where the Casio Privia series, followed by the Yamaha P155.

If I were to go with the Privia, I would get the PX350 for the nice recording feature. The Yamaha, I hear, is great too - if anyone knows Kyle Landry on YouTube, that's the piano he uses, and he's quite popular.

So, it would probably be those 2. I also read the sticky about pianos under 1000$. Another one that looked nice is the Kawai ES7. (or was it the ES100. Not sure what the difference is).

I want to get as much information as I can before I make the purchase. I haven't really bothered with Roland - but I did look at a Korg FP7. It looked decent but it was a little too expensive and the sound wasn't particularly great, in my subjective opinion. What Roland pianos should I consider?

I just want a sturdy piano that I can record and upload videos with. This means a Aux/Line in and out. Are the ones listed good choices? What do you recommend? Anything I should know?

Oh yeah, and what's with those X-stands? They don't look sturdy at all, they start to wobble around when you start getting aggressive, which is a big turn off; but I haven't used it personally so I don't know if it will bug me that much...but it looks very annoying. Even the 'upgraded' stands seem to have a bit of that issue.

Thank you all.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Very impressive vid, and worthy of the best keyboard in the best piano you can afford! Classics? Other instruments may distract, I`d probably go for the Kawai ES7 which has a decent keyboard, or better.

But I`m not as good as that guy, so I didn`t have to.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Indra123
Oh yeah, and what's with those X-stands? They don't look sturdy at all, they start to wobble around when you start getting aggressive, which is a big turn off; but I haven't used it personally so I don't know if it will bug me that much...but it looks very annoying. Even the 'upgraded' stands seem to have a bit of that issue.

Thank you all.

Regardless of the piano you get, I would suggest always getting the furniture stand that comes with it. Those X-stands behave just as you describe.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dmd

Thank you all.

Regardless of the piano you get, I would suggest always getting the furniture stand that comes with it. Those X-stands behave just as you describe.

I'd agree if you're going to use it in one place and not swap and change around.

I'd been on the lookout for a second digital piano for an upstairs room, and when (in the UK) discounted bundles of the PX-150 with the pukka stand and pedal board were floated, that's when I took the plunge.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just out of curiosity, doesn't anybody use Z-stands? That's what I have both my DPs on. Much more stable than an X-stand, and still portable.

M
M
I have a Z stand that came with my MP11. It can hold that beast just fine and feels very sturdy, but I would prefer a table stand for the leg room. I generally sit pretty far back from the keys, so it's usually not an issue.

To the OP: the Kawai ES7 is an awesome piano, but way over your $1,000 budget. I believe you are talking about the ES100.

Of all the pianos mentioned, I recommend the Casio PX-350. I think that would be the best use of your money. Kawai makes great DPs on the higher end, but in this price point the Casio beats them all, IMO.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I agree that the Casio PX-350 is probably the best choice in your price range. It has a really great action (very responsive and with a good feel in my opinion) for the price, and a quite nice range of sounds. I used to have an older casio privia as a practice piano, and it was quite decent. The most recent privias blow the older models out of the water in terms of quality. It also has a ton of other features that might be fun to play with, like lots of rhythm and accompaniment patterns to play with.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
THere have been threads about keyboard stands here -- try the "search" function.

Something like this would probably do the job:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/K-M-Table-style-keyboard-stand-450498-i1323211.gc

And on "guitarcenter.com", a search for "keyboard stand" will get you lots of hits, including Z-stands and that K&M stand.

I have a PX-350, and like it. Very good price/performance. I occasionally take it out of the house, so I've been using an X-stand, rather than a "furniture stand". The "double-braced" X-stands aren't bad; the single-braced ones are a bit flimsy, IMHO. If you like to sit close to the keyboard, something with an open knee area (like that K&M stand) will be better than an X-stand.

Hiding in Youtube, there's a video on building a piano stand from Gibraltar drum-kit components. It's very solid, and only moderately expensive. And I found it for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlcErM3BRc&feature=kp

Have fun!

. Charles

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
P
P

Thank you all.

I gather that X stands aren't very popular around here. I admit that if I'd had any money left for an alternate, sturdier, stand I would have investigated. However, I went for a cheap double-braced X stand and I've found it as solid as a rock. It has a meaty Kawai mp7 on it which might help. Perhaps it would be less stable with a lightweight such as Casio PX5s.

Patrick.

Kawai MP7, Roland JUNO DS-88

[Linked Image]
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
THere have been threads about keyboard stands here -- try the "search" function.

Something like this would probably do the job:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/K-M-Table-style-keyboard-stand-450498-i1323211.gc

And on "guitarcenter.com", a search for "keyboard stand" will get you lots of hits, including Z-stands and that K&M stand.

I have a PX-350, and like it. Very good price/performance. I occasionally take it out of the house, so I've been using an X-stand, rather than a "furniture stand". The "double-braced" X-stands aren't bad; the single-braced ones are a bit flimsy, IMHO. If you like to sit close to the keyboard, something with an open knee area (like that K&M stand) will be better than an X-stand.

Hiding in Youtube, there's a video on building a piano stand from Gibraltar drum-kit components. It's very solid, and only moderately expensive. And I found it for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlcErM3BRc&feature=kp

Have fun!

. Charles

. Charles

That is quite amazing. All those parts seem like a pain to acquire, though. I'll probably go for a Z stand or thatK&M one. Thanks so much for your reply.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission