Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2293944 - 06/23/14 04:07 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: cub]
pmh Offline

Loc: South Coast UK
That is a very interesting demo. Nice find Oak. Like you, clueless about the Italian but I kind of got some of it. The more I hear demo's of the Yamaha's CLP 585 sound the more I like it. Im definitely going to give it a good play this Wednesday. The video really did bring out the sustain differences however, and I wonder if there aren't a few red faces at Yamaha. Maybe they are immune. It also makes me wonder what the samples will sound like through their new transacoustic sound board. Yamaha centre London will have the new U1 TA sometime in September. Cant wait. Once again thanks for the video.

Paul H

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2293965 - 06/23/14 04:54 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: cub]
theoak Online   content

Loc: Idaho, USA
That is what I thought too ... the CFX sustain ... lasted ... forever smile Now tuning can come into play, and again, mic placement, etc on the CFX. Also, as I am sure this CFX was NOT the one used to obtain the samples from for the 585.

The 585 appeared to have default settings. I wonder if some of the settings were tweaked (Damper resonance - appeared to be set to 5/10, Key resonance - appeared to be set to 5/10, Chorus - appeared to be Off, Reverb - appeared to be set to Recital, etc as shown briefly in the video) if the sustain could not be stretched out?

The single note I thought was pretty cool with the CFX lasting on the sustain.

The multi-key however with the CFX, had a lot more of those lower base notes that never gave up and eventually became louder than the higher notes. The 585 started out with the base real good I thought, but lost the low notes after only a few seconds. Maybe the human factor played (pun intended) here and he just did not hit the base keys quite as hard???

He also did the same thing with the CLP-575 (link below starting at the 3:15 mark), where I did seem hear the base much more this time with the multi-key, again, not lasting near as long as the CFX and not to the degree of the CFX. The 575 and 585 should in theory have the same samples for the pianos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af0LC2u9KkQ

Edit:

The 585 has the counter weights, extra instruments, and extra speakers over the 575. FYI

Edited by theoak (06/23/14 04:56 PM)

#2294700 - 06/25/14 07:19 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: pmh]
cub Offline

Just a quick update here. I received delivery yesterday during the day. I'm working very long hours this week so I only managed to assemble the instrument last night and a quick play at midnight and then again a quick play tonight - not enough for a proper review. Assembly took about 75 minutes - essentially by myself with my wife helping for a couple of the lifts. Everything fits together perfectly. The height adjustable stool is very solid and looks nice too.

Suffice to say that I'm loving it so far. The quality of the cabinetry and finish is very high. The sounds are beautiful (both CFX and Bosendorfer). I'm also extremely happy with the action.

I'll have some more time on Friday to play and then next week as I'm working many hours over the weekend too (84 hours for the week!). I'll post some more details in a week or so.

#2294745 - 06/25/14 09:57 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: cub]
theoak Online   content

A few pictures would be nice too ... front, back, and sides. Also, is the keyboard cover soft falling? Of course ... when you have time.

#2294763 - 06/25/14 10:51 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: cub]
pmh Offline

Loc: South Coast UK
Ditto with the pictures. Congrats on your new piano Cub. I had another 10 minute go on the demonstrator at the Yamaha Centre London this morning. I must say that the action is very good and closer to the Avant Grand N2 than I first thought. Someone had been messing with the internal sound as it was horribly uneven which it definitely wasn't last time I tried. I must learn how to reset the instrument. I think the action is closer to the real thing compared to the Kawai grand feel but I'm going to assess this over a period of time.

By the way, Bert Smorenberg is demonstrating the Yamaha Grand TransAcoustic at Yamaha Music London this Saturday between 12:00pm and 4:00pm if anyone is interested. You need to phone up and book a ticket. I spoke at length with the main sales guy on the piano hall level about the TransAcoustic. He has played it at exhibition and was very impressed with the quality of the digital samples through the sound board which he described as rich, deep and resonant. Looks very promising. The 'only' dark cloud on the horizon is the price of admission which will probably be another 2 grand over the silent system. The U1 SH is already near the 9K mark with the TA coming in at a nose bleeding 11k or thereabouts. For that you may as well get YUS 5 SH which is a wonderful sounding piano with a touch close to the full grand piano. The U1 TA will be available from September onwards with the Grand version being released after Christmas as far as anyone can tell.

Regards,

Paul H

Edited by pmh (06/25/14 10:54 AM)
Edit Reason: Clarity

#2294788 - 06/25/14 11:44 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: cub]
Pete14 Offline

The U1TA was scheduled for release (U.S.A.) back in April, yet we're almost in July, and nothing yet.

#2294838 - 06/25/14 01:35 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: cub]
theoak Online   content

pmh: "I think the action is closer to the real thing compared to the Kawai grand feel, but I'm going to assess this over a period of time."

This are big words. I think Yamaha has realized that Kawai has made huge efforts (with great results) and have finally worked hard here. Its about time smile

Too bad the sound was all messed up.

Instructions to Reset from the manual:

Method 1:

1. Press the [MENU] button several times to select “System Menu.”
2. Use the [^]/[Down] buttons to select “Backup,” use the [>] button to call up the next display, then use the [^]/[Down] buttons to select “Factory Set.”
3. Use the [>] button to call up the next display, then use the [^]/[Down] button select “Execute.”
4. Press the [>] button to execute the Restore operation.
A message indicating that the operation is completed appears, then the instrument will restart after a while.

Method 2:

Press and hold down the white key on the right end (C7) and press the [Power] (Standby/On) switch to turn on the power to this instrument. This operation will not delete the Songs in the User folder.

cub: Also, I am surprised the piano dealer did not assemble it for you. Did you get the polished ebony or the satin black?

#2295615 - 06/27/14 02:30 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: theoak]
cub Offline

I am loving this clavinova so far. Here is a link to some photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sadv7se6ydrpbnk/AAAS2QpJyGioldppL1eHRcGMa

I tried the pianoworld photo uploader but it would not accept the size of the files and I couldn't be bothered resizing them so its a dropbox link. Let me know if it doesn't work properly.

In relation to assembly - the dealer did offer to have the delivery boys assemble it but I preferred to do it myself.

The fit and finish of the cabinetry and the Polished Ebony is of a very high quality. The sound is just so smooth, delicate and powerful at the same time.

More comments coming...

#2295736 - 06/27/14 11:14 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: cub]
theoak Online   content

Did it come with the adjustable bench too, or did you pay extra for that?

Beautiful piano!

#2295755 - 06/27/14 11:45 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: cub]
enzo.sandrolini Online   content

Loc: Europe - France
As I said in another post, I was curious about the new 585 and went to the shop where I could (only) tried the 575
I found its action extremely good, and really close to my N2 (which is not a 'small' reference I think)
For sure Yamaha made a great job there, and probably the 585 is even better on this side
I am now eager for your opinion about this piano after having played it some hours.

Cheers and enjoy

#2295794 - 06/27/14 01:18 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: enzo.sandrolini
As I said in another post, I was curious about the new 585 and went to the shop where I could (only) tried the 575
I found its action extremely good, and really close to my N2 (which is not a 'small' reference I think)
For sure Yamaha made a great job there, and probably the 585 is even better on this side
I am now eager for your opinion about this piano after having played it some hours.

Cheers and enjoy

Hi enzo, does this mean you are even remotely thinking of changing from your N2 to a 575 or 585? Really curious as this would suggest some small dissatisfaction with the N2.

#2295806 - 06/27/14 01:48 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: theoak]
cub Offline

The adjustable stool came with the 585 at no extra cost - it was in the huge box with the piano. The salesman told me they came with the adjustable stool.
I was not aware of that from the marketing material until he told me.

Can I say the stool is very solid and sturdy with a smooth mechanism and looks quite good too. I see it as a bonus and am very pleased as I have not really been happy with the stools that came with my last clavinova (240) and the kawai ca95. It will save me buying a separate piano bench.

I played some more this afternoon and I can say I'm in love with the piano. Both the action and sound are very pleasing. I probably prefer to CFX sound to the bosendorfer but its too soon to tell for sure as I haven't yet had time to try different styles of music with each.

Even my wife immediately commented on the sound from this piano and how much better it was. She said that from the next room the sound was so realistic she thought I was playing my acoustic piano.

I'm working long hours this weekend but will update further as I get a chance to play more. whome

#2295816 - 06/27/14 02:12 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: spanishbuddha]

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
Originally Posted By: enzo.sandrolini

Cheers and enjoy

Hi enzo, does this mean you are even remotely thinking of changing from your N2 to a 575 or 585? Really curious as this would suggest some small dissatisfaction with the N2.

grin grin
Absolutely not....
I am really in love with my N2...
I can even, the more I play it, the more I love it..as I improve a lot my technics with that piano.
It is even far better than the AP upright I take lesson on
No..I must admit I have a GAS to change my VPC1 for a 575...
Why ??
Simple : The N2 action is quite noisy, and when I play really early in the morning, it makes too much noise...
Moreover, playing the N2 with Headphone is less pleasant.
But till I Have my N2, I find no pleasure playing the VPC1..the action seems 'unrealistic' for me now.
Whilst the 575 action is more closer to the N2...
but...It is just a GAS....for the moment wink

Edited by enzo.sandrolini (06/27/14 02:25 PM)

#2302101 - 07/14/14 06:02 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: cub]
Adro Offline

Loc: Northants UK
Just took delivery of a Yamaha CLP585PE. I've been thinking of upgrading from my old technics for some years. I've been driving Ivory II GP's from the Technics. I'm no expert and haven't had the opportunity to try CLP next to a K CA95 or K CS10 which, as these had been my previous top picks I would have liked to do.

The action on the CLP is very precise. I think it recovers more quickly than the Kawai. As it's so different to my Technics I can't yet comment on subtly of touch. It will take a while to get the feel and exploit the full range. The weighting is well balanced and is slightly lighter than the only NU1 I've tried. I know it's not an 'authentic' grand action like the AvantGrand, but it still feels right.

The CFX sound is great. Plenty of grunt in the base, really rich and resonant. The treble is nice, perhaps a little bright, but I haven't played around with any parameters yet. I haven't hooked up Ivory II yet. It'll be interesting to compare the Steinway as I love that treble.

The Bosendorfer sounds very soft. A bit too soft for me, but again I haven't made any adjustments.

The pedals (or rather pedal - 'cause I only use the damper) seems very precise and this is difficult for me at present as they are so different to the technics.

Anyway, my first impression - Sounds Great, Feels Great, Looks great. I will certainly use the piano standalone without connection to PC unless recording to Cubase.

#2302105 - 07/14/14 06:30 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: cub]

Hello Adro
When I tried the 585, I though the same about the Bosendorfer sound
to improve / change it, you can tweak with following settings:
- Key sensitivity (it controls the keyboard dynamics) : increasing it make the sound much more live
- key touch => also setting it to soft1 /Soft2 make the sound alive

and if it is not enough, you have also Brightness and Brillance controls

With all these parameters I got I really really pleasant Bosenderfor (at the end, I preferred it to the CFX which requires less tuning to sound good)
Enjoy your 585...
I think I will pull the trigger myself on the 575 (in replacement of my VPC1, as I fully agree with you, I find the touch more precise, less sluggish / faster)

#2302464 - 07/15/14 04:27 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
Adro Offline

Loc: Northants UK
Thanks Enzo, I'll have a go with those parameters on the Bosendorfer. Did you find the 575 and 585 actions equally precise. I've not played both in the same place at the same time but I don't remember having the same instant reaction when I tried the 575.

#2302470 - 07/15/14 04:48 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 [Re: Adro]
cub Offline

Hi Adro,

Congrats on you new DP! I hope you enjoy it as much as I've been enjoying mine. It really has a great feel and a great sound. I just love the yamaha sound myself and the way it is right 'out of the box'. It amazes me how much others are having to tweak their high end Kawai DPs just to get a good acoustic sound.

Pete.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, 36251, ajames, Aibohphobia, 46 invisible), 1865 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156064 Topics
2291736 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
Today at 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
Today at 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
Today at 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
Today at 12:46 PM
Remembering what to play
by kipale
Today at 11:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission