Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1962343 - 09/21/12 11:49 PM PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia
TheArchbishop Offline

Loc: New Jersey, US
I am not sure if this belongs in this Forum group or Adult Beginners. I did search for topics related to this and I couldn't find any; I apologize if I missed a forum answering my question.

So I plan on buying a Digital Piano and then eventually taking formal lessons sometime afterward. Many of my piano/music friends suggested a DP with weighted keys and this guided my research to look at the Yamaha P-95 (P-105), and the PX-130. I found that the PX-150 and PX-350 are coming out soon (I think they are out now.) With substantial improvements which make them better than both the P-105, P-130, and P-330 respectively.
The reason I ruled out the Yamaha P-105 is because of the action; which is the same as the P-95.

The problem is I cannot decide where to go with the PX-150 or the PX-350. Normally I wouldn't ask this question but I tend to be frugal and I like to be able to justify my purchases. The PX-150 appears to have many features the PX-350 does minus the additional sounds and 2 less speakers. I am not expect so I can't really feel comfortable choosing solely on my gut.

I am not sure if I plan on composing or making my own tracks or if I want to just learn to play the Piano. The cost for PX-150 is 600 vs. the PX-350 which is about 800. What would be a good reason to get the PX-150 vs the PX-350 and vice versa.

Again, I apologize if this Topic is out of scope.

Edited by TheArchbishop (09/21/12 11:50 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1962348 - 09/22/12 12:01 AM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
You'll get the most helpful responses on the "Digitals and Syths" forum.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1962352 - 09/22/12 12:05 AM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
TheArchbishop Offline

-facepalm- how did I not see that. I'll wait for a mod.

Thanks for moving it.

Edited by TheArchbishop (09/22/12 02:47 PM)

#1962773 - 09/22/12 07:33 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Archbishop
If you goal is just to learn to play piano, the PX-150 would suffice. If you want accompaniment, rhythm tracks, and the ability to compose and record your own songs, the 350 is better suited. The PX-350 might also sound better since it has more speakers. But for basic piano playing a 150 will do nicely.

#1962808 - 09/22/12 09:09 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
TheArchbishop Offline

The accompanyment; does that come with the piano or is it just a replay of a recording. Same with the rhythm tracks. Also; the ability to compose; couldn't you do that with the PX-150 and use it as a midi controller.

#1962868 - 09/22/12 11:00 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
The PX-350 has 250 instruments sounds along with built in accompaniment and 180 drum tracks. These are all onboard along with the 17 track sequencer for recording. The recorder in the PX-350 records a .wav file to a standard USB drive. The PX-150 has a built in 2 track recorder with no provision for recording to a thumb drive. Both pianos can interface to a computer. USB MIDI comes with the 150 while the 350 has USB and standard MIDI IN/OUT jacks along with Line Outs. There's more on it thus the $200 price difference.

#1963387 - 09/23/12 10:04 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
TheArchbishop Offline

Ok I decided on the PX-150 after much much much contemplation. Now the question is...what accessories would I find beneficial as a beginner. Should I get a perma-stand or a folding stand (I live in an apartment). Do i Need the three pedals or will the 1 sustain pedal it comes with suffice (or should I get a better pedal). Any other suggestions reguarding accessories"?

#1963403 - 09/23/12 10:50 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: TheArchbishop
Ok I decided on the PX-150 after much much much contemplation. Now the question is...what accessories would I find beneficial as a beginner. Should I get a perma-stand or a folding stand (I live in an apartment). Do i Need the three pedals or will the 1 sustain pedal it comes with suffice (or should I get a better pedal). Any other suggestions reguarding accessories"?
The pedal it comes with is just barely adequate. If you get the good stand, go ahead and get the 3-pedal unit...they are good pedals and it makes the stand even more stable. If you get a XX stand or similar, I recommend the "piano style" pedal, SP-20.

Get the best bench you can. People think a nice bench is maybe a luxury for a later day, but it can make such a difference in comfort = time spent playing.

And finally headphones. There are threads here devoted to the subject. Most talks are about mid-level cans and above. Head-Fi.org is an interesting forum for headphones.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2293887 - 06/23/14 01:49 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
AndyMon Offline

Alright, thanks for the responses guys.

Yes; my local music shop does have other models. However, they are only Roland models, and I've heard they have a bad rep. for key thumping, and overall thinness in sound. The models are F-120, F-80, and F-20.

To answer the the question about headphones: yes, the shrillness problem persists even through speakers and/or headphones.

How does the Casios compare to the Rolands?
I am leaning towards the 350 at the moment, as I predict its extra functions will come in handy years down the road, when I am more musically developed.

#2293939 - 06/23/14 03:55 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: AndyMon]
Digitalguy Online   content

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: AndyMon
Alright, thanks for the responses guys.

Yes; my local music shop does have other models. However, they are only Roland models, and I've heard they have a bad rep. for key thumping, and overall thinness in sound. The models are F-120, F-80, and F-20.

How does the Casios compare to the Rolands?
I am leaning towards the 350 at the moment, as I predict its extra functions will come in handy years down the road, when I am more musically developed.

IMO Roland supernatural piano (present in the models you mentioned) is better than Casio px150/350, but sound is a subjective thing, so you may want to listen to other opinions and above all listen yourself. Action too is subjective, but concerning the thumping noise, Casio a pretty noisy too... A part from that, the Casio action is pretty good.
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2293949 - 06/23/14 04:24 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
You'll have to try out the Roland actions, some are better than others. But I do believe the Roland sounds will be better than the Casio.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2294026 - 06/23/14 07:28 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: Morodiene]
Possum SP280Krome Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I would try the Roland F20 i think it has a nice action.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2294051 - 06/23/14 08:23 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
IMHO, the Roland FP-7F and RD-700NX (now out of production) had _clearly_ better sound than the PX-x50 line. I assume that extends to the replacement RD-800 and FP-80 (?). [They were also way more expensive.]

But I don't know if the F-20 uses the same sound generator that they did, and I bet it doesn't have the same capabilities in its "Virtual Technician". You could dial up the string resonance on those Rolands, and they started to sound really rich. But that's _my_ opinion -- some people don't like the "SuperNatural" sound.

I think the F-20 uses a different action from the FP-7F and RD-700, also.

. . . So play them yourself, and use your own ears and fingers, and use the same headphones on each one.

You'll find something you like.

. Charles

#2294141 - 06/24/14 01:25 AM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: AndyMon]
rpw Online   content

Originally Posted By: AndyMon

I wouldn't be so sure about "years", OP upgraded to ES-7 after less than two years.

#2294644 - 06/25/14 02:55 AM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: TheArchbishop]
littlebirdblue Offline

Since I recently went through this process, I thought I'd share my experience.

Initially, I was looking for a DP that was around $2000 for my (almost) 4 year old and myself. We wanted to like Roland DP since we liked the dealership but something about their sound didn't click with me. I tried just about everything on the floor but I never felt like I was in front of a piano. I visited a Kawai/Yamaha dealership but we got the "do not touch anything" vice. So, I started looking into Yamaha P105 and P255 at a music store but I couldn't live with GHS and while I liked a lot of things about P255, it seemed a little over priced at $1300 plus tax so I did the unthinkable and ordered Casio PX-150 from Amazon.

So far, I'm enjoying playing on our Casio PX-150. We'll upgrade when we outgrow it. In 2 - 3 years, when we might actually need a nicer DP, we might be able to get more for $2,000.

#2294869 - 06/25/14 02:34 PM Re: PX-150 or PX-350 Casio Privia [Re: littlebirdblue]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: littlebirdblue
. . . So far, I'm enjoying playing on our Casio PX-150. We'll upgrade when we outgrow it. In 2 - 3 years, when we might actually need a nicer DP, we might be able to get more for $2,000.

Just-right thinking. A $20,000 grand piano may be a "lifetime purchase". A $500 digital piano probably isn't.

Keyboard mechanisms, and loudspeakers, cost real money to produce. Sound generators are pure electronics, and they will get cheaper (and better) over the years.

. Charles

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, *windowlicker*, 89grand, 36251, 53 invisible), 1230 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157098 Topics
2307157 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
Who makes ribbon moulding?
by Craig Hair
Today at 03:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission