Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2294970 - 06/25/14 06:13 PM Resonance in low end of FP-50 in earphones as well as spkrs
Tuneless Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
I would really appreciate it if you could all give your impression if this is something that could be fixed easily enough by a Roland service center or I really need to send this back. I'll have to find another source if I do, as the company has no others in stock. I really would prefer to have it repaired if it looks like a repair would be successful. But if the resolution is in doubt, I guess I will have to send it back.

I have recorded the resonance for your appreciation(not):

B1,

https://soundcloud.com/user783695884/b1-with-notes-above-and-belowwav

https://soundcloud.com/user783695884/b1wav

G2,

https://soundcloud.com/user783695884/g2-with-notes-above-and-belowwav

https://soundcloud.com/user783695884/g2wav

A little history here, http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2294093/Re:_All_about_Roland_FP-80_&am.html#Post2294093

Thanks all,

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano(yet) and couldn't tune a guitar, much less a piano.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2294981 - 06/25/14 06:44 PM Re: Resonance in low end of FP-50 in earphones as well as spkrs [Re: Tuneless]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
Hi Tuneless.

A couple of things I need to clarify.

This is direct wav recording to a USB stick?

I think what you are hearing is the resonance of the Harp or Frame of the grand pianos captured to make the Supernatural sound. This can be especially apparent at forte and fortissimo levels as you played here. Based on what I hear, I don't think that there's anything a technician can do to make changes to the piano. This is inherent to the SuperNatural piano engine. The next FP-50 will sound the same.

A couple of parameters you can adjust to attenuate the resonance you're hearing are the KeyTouch, as you're hitting the notes pretty hard in isolation. Try turning the Key Touch up to "heavy".

Also, as described on page 17 of your owners manual, in the EQ section, try adjusting the high mid eq to between 1-2K hz and dial in a cut of around 3db.

This should help.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2294992 - 06/25/14 07:33 PM Re: Resonance in low end of FP-50 in earphones as well as spkrs [Re: Tuneless]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Tuneless,
Your FP-50 isn't broken. As a former Roland DP owner, I can affirm: that's just the way Roland's SuperNatural piano engine behaves. It's a very cool technology, but it sounds a little weird from time to time. Some folks really like the SuperNatural sound, and some don't.

Small changes in velocity can produce a quite significant difference in timbre, and consequently some people find the SuperNatural pianos a bit artificial or hard to control. If you search the archives here you'll find a fair amount of discussion about this.

Meaning no offense, because you obviously have very sharp ears, as well as a methodical approach to investigating quirky software, I think your options will be:

a) get over the peccadillos of the SuperNatural piano and enjoy your new FP-50; or,
b) return it and choose a product from another manufacturer.

Kind regards,

Ben

#2295059 - 06/25/14 10:23 PM Re: Resonance in low end of FP-50 in earphones as well as spkrs [Re: Tuneless]
Tuneless Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
Well, I guess I will make one more trip to a Sam Ash to see if the one they have on the floor does the same thing. If it does, I guess I will live with this, but it sounds to me, that if this was in the recording of the original piano, some one was delinquent in making sure all the fittings on the piano were tight. Not trying to be negative, but that is what it sounds like, and if I heard this on my acoustic, I would be searching for the cause. But let's not jump to conclusions until I can hear another FP-50.

My recordings were made using the USB stick in the back of the piano and rec mode of the FP-50 and with all personalization settings turned off, and ambiance off as well a good part of the time I was testing these keys. Ambiance being on or off made no difference.

I'll go do a factory reset just to be sure that makes no difference.

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano(yet) and couldn't tune a guitar, much less a piano.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

#2295082 - 06/25/14 11:03 PM Re: Resonance in low end of FP-50 in earphones as well as spkrs [Re: Tuneless]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
That is a resonance that is inherent to all acoustic pianos in varying degrees. Tight or loose fittings will have no effect on it whatsoever. It sounded like a normal FP-50 to me.

What you're hearing is the "brassiness" of a bass string struck hard, that is reverberating through the iron plate and soundboard of the piano. Without it, there would be no "fff" dynamics.

I've compared what you posted for recordings to recordings I've made of an FP-80, that has the same piano engine, and the lower notes exhibit the same characteristics to differing degrees depending on how the notes are played. In isolation, it will drive you nuts now you know about it, but in normal playing, you'll almost never notice that they are there.

The Speaker system and possible resonances in your room can accentuate these characteristics. But they are present in every SuperNatural piano.

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2295108 - 06/25/14 11:40 PM Re: Resonance in low end of FP-50 in earphones as well as spkrs [Re: Tuneless]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Originally Posted By: Tuneless
...if this was in the recording of the original piano, some one was delinquent in making sure all the fittings on the piano were tight. Not trying to be negative, but that is what it sounds like, and if I heard this on my acoustic, I would be searching for the cause.

Acoustic pianos all have some amount of variation in tone from note to note, but I'm sure that Roland and its competitors are very attentive to quality control during original sampling. I believe abrupt discontinuities of the kind you discovered are more likely caused by the "secret sauce" of modeling/processing/black magic that Roland's SuperNatural piano engine uses in conjunction with sampled piano sounds, than by artifacts embedded in the original samples.

I owned a Roland SuperNatural piano for four years, and found that certain notes sometimes "barked" at me a little bit when played ff or fff, as if small changes in the upper range of the velocity curve caused more tonal variation than would have occurred naturally in an acoustic piano. I think some other posters here characterize that quality as a "metallic" sound.

It didn't bother me in daily playing; I liked my Roland very much.

#2295160 - 06/26/14 03:21 AM Re: Resonance in low end of FP-50 in earphones as well as spkrs [Re: Tuneless]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I actually like that kind of variation in timbre. If you think that's a lot of variation, you should try some sample libraries!

Greg.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
10/01/14 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
10/01/14 10:37 PM
piano beats in groups
by SKJP
10/01/14 09:42 PM
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
10/01/14 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
10/01/14 06:24 PM
Who's Online
124 registered (ajames, 36 invisible), 1367 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76396 Members
42 Forums
157937 Topics
2319434 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission