2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
T
hey Joel and Poly, let me ask you a question. Have either of you gotten paid 3 or 4 figures a night for playing piano? If not then you better start hustling. "Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing....be bop a do bop..."

T
T
If you guys want some lessons on improv, my rates are most likely too high for you, hehehe laugh

There are some excellent teachers in the jazz section.

Look up Dave Frank or Mark Polishook's vids and posts. those guys know their stuff. WAYYY better than me.

T
T
hey Joel, with close to 5000 posts in 2 years surely you got some time to put up a tune or 2. Let's hear it buddy.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
hahaha

T
T
Is that "hahaha" just a natural reflex or do you really have nothing better to say.

You have learned well from your master Poly, the 7000 post man. Soon you as the protege will overtake him and his "kingdom"...

I gotta ask do you have real lives or do you just spend all your time at the forums? Don't you have friends or something.

Gotta run, got a date with a pretty lady at a jazz show, then dinner. Don't miss me too much.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi FSO, I finally listened to the improvisation e-cital. I thought it was quite exceptional especially with the addition of golden age of the piano evoker Polyphonist. I am looking forward to another if it is in the cards to happen. This one was well done by everyone!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
The Wind, you are absolutely right.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The Wind is really blowin' hard today, isn't it?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
The Wind is really blowin' hard today, isn't it?

I'm reminded of a comment a member once made regarding one of The Wind's wise, insightful posts trashing all classical music and its proponents - "Well, with a nickname like Wind, we pretty much know all we'll get from you is hot air."

Apt indeed.

(Oh, by the way - The Wind, you are absolutely right.)

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sings nineties Mariah Carey pseudo jazz tune," You'll only faaa-da in...to..the win-n-nnnnd."

whome Sorry, I couldn't resist.

T
T
Poly for a guy who's done 7300 POSTS in 1 year (is that a record here btw? HAHAHAH) I reckon you got about .01 % worth reading.

I know I'm right man, esp when it come to critiquing your music. You should bow down and take some lessons man, might do you some good to prostrate yourself from your self-proclaimed perch.

And your minion Joel following you around like a needy puppy, not sure if that's endearing or just annoying. Can't blame him, he's just a kid looking for a role model. Shame he picked you.

I recommend the both of you take a few months hiatus from this forum. Sounds like you guys are addicted to the sound of your own voice. I feel the narcissism oozing out of your inflated brains. Certainly doesn't help you learn or play music better.

T
T
Originally Posted by MikeN
Sings nineties Mariah Carey pseudo jazz tune," You'll only faaa-da in...to..the win-n-nnnnd."

That cover made the composer of the tune a TON of $$. Mariah Carey may be considered gauche, but damn that girl SELLS.

F
F
Wow Poly! Didn't know you had this in ya! Very nice. I listened to it while I was having dinner and frankly, sometimes I forgot it was improvisation! Good job to the three of you.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by The Wind

That cover made the composer of the tune a TON of $$. Mariah Carey may be considered gauche, but damn that girl SELLS.

True dat. I'm sure Russ is/was rollin in it. ha Ironically, that song wasn't even a single on one of her least successful albums.

Last edited by MikeN; 06/25/14 11:18 PM. Reason: typo
T
T

True dat. I'm sure Russ is/was rollin in it. ha Ironically, that song wasn't even a single one one of her least successful albums.

according to Wikipedia, that album "Emotions" went 4x Platinum in the USA alone. Worldwide sales of 8 million.

Not too shabby, Ol Russ was laughing to the bank. Royalties baby!

Re: the improvisation styles: without theme(s), can sound more like "noodling", a la Hoffman interludes and Cziffra pre-concert warm-ups. Themes, please.
Yes, I'm sure all the jazz greats who played "progressive" jazz were geniuses, but I prefer Brubeck (often derided by jazz DJs as "Richard Rogers" music).

Poly's sixth chords and lush harmonies are present just as in his compositions, kind of like Rachmaninoff: even Rachmaninoff's Bach transcriptions sound like Rachmaninoff. I'm thinking of Manfred Clynes and his computer that detects a composer's unique "fingerprint" as a wave/shape that is the same for any composition by the same composer.

Oh, and "we" would like very much to hear some of that Wangian technique by the longest contributor, used in recordings of standard repertoire by 1) Chopin, 2) Rachmaninoff, 3) Bach, 4) Schumann, 5) Ravel, 6) Scriabin, 7) Godowsky, pretty much in that order.

And before y'all do this again (and "we" do want you to do it again, please!), have (one of) the contributors watch Dudley Moore's video of the almost-never-ending Beethoven Over the River Kwai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GazlqD4mLvw

Probably won't help..."we" like him anyway.

Last edited by doctor S; 06/26/14 09:19 AM.

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I'm a little confused by your post, doctor S, but...

Originally Posted by doctor S
Re: the improvisation styles: without theme(s), can sound more like "noodling", a la Hoffman interludes and Cziffra pre-concert warm-ups. Themes, please.

...my improvisation does contain several good themes. Did you listen to the whole thing?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yes! The whole thing! And it's doggone wonderful!! But me of little brain needs more obvious themes (kind of like a goldfish gaping at the control panel wall of a nuclear power plant), "we" would like a "melody" (ie theme and variations??). Just a request for more. (a la Oliver, the musical..."More?!? You want MORE?!?")

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Still a bit confused. My improvisation is stuffed with melodies. For example:

16:04
17:59
23:23
25:04
25:35
29:03

to name just a few of the best ones, the last two being the finale and coda themes respectively.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Agree. Themes. (Did I mention I (the goldfish) really, really liked it/them?)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission