Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
131 registered (36251, ABC Vermonter, Anita Potter, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1491 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#2292344 - 06/19/14 08:35 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Tuneless Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
No, not going to give up, certainly. I have already reworked the action to take care of old glue, cracked flanges, and some weak shanks. The hammers are the original hammers in only modestly worn condition, amazing for the age. But they are hard as rocks. So I will work my way up to voicing them, but want to start gently, as over doing it will ruin them. Among what needs to be done is some gluing of cracked bridges in the high treble, near a strut. So, I anticipate the piano will be down for some time when I finally get going.

I have a link to pictures in my signature line. You'll see it is a very nice Victorian design. It also has a pretty nice sound now that I have something to compare to.

I think the FP-50 will work out really well, as the keys feel very much like my upright, so it should be a seamless transition between the 2 pianos. The sound of the Roland is OK, not as nice as the acoustic, but much better to my ears than the Yamahas.

I will say, tho, that the weight is just on the edge of what I can handle. Glad I didn't let my hubby talk me into something heavier.

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano(yet) and couldn't tune a guitar, much less a piano.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2292371 - 06/19/14 10:29 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Tuneless]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Tuneless
No, not going to give up, certainly. I have already reworked the action to take care of old glue, cracked flanges, and some weak shanks. The hammers are the original hammers in only modestly worn condition, amazing for the age. But they are hard as rocks. So I will work my way up to voicing them, but want to start gently, as over doing it will ruin them. Among what needs to be done is some gluing of cracked bridges in the high treble, near a strut. So, I anticipate the piano will be down for some time when I finally get going.

I have a link to pictures in my signature line. You'll see it is a very nice Victorian design. It also has a pretty nice sound now that I have something to compare to.

I think the FP-50 will work out really well, as the keys feel very much like my upright, so it should be a seamless transition between the 2 pianos. The sound of the Roland is OK, not as nice as the acoustic, but much better to my ears than the Yamahas.

I will say, tho, that the weight is just on the edge of what I can handle. Glad I didn't let my hubby talk me into something heavier.
Beautiful piano! Can't wait to hear it when it's back in shape smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2292574 - 06/20/14 01:41 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Tuneless Offline

About the low end of the FP-50. A few chords do sound more palatable just below F2 if I play them much more softly. But, now that I have turned off all the personalization functions, the low end still sounds to intense. And it starts right at the F2. I am not the most educated listener for piano sound, but it is pretty clear to me that there is a character change in the sound starting right at F2 compared to G2.

So, I guess I will be experimenting with EQ. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial for how to work with EQ on digital pianos?

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .

#2292990 - 06/21/14 01:18 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Tuneless Offline

Now I don't know what think.

After reading up on EQ, I realized it was not going to do what I wanted. Then the thought struck me that maybe there was an error in the instrument and one of the various personalization adjustments was not turned off for those keys, and even maybe it was on full. So I went back to the FP-50 last night intending to turn on and off some of these settings and see if there was a change in the low end, only to discover that the problem is gone.

I tried it again this morning and it is still gone. I hope it isn't a loose connection that is going to haunt me. Between working/nice and not working/too intense, I had moved the unit from sitting on a few cardboard boxes to sitting on the KS7150 stand. Could the slightly soft boxes have caused some warping of the keyboard and the effect I noticed before moving to a more rigid and presumably flatter surface?

Roland FP-50

#2293006 - 06/21/14 01:51 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Tuneless]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
I had moved the unit from sitting on a few cardboard boxes to sitting on the KS7150 stand. Could the slightly soft boxes have caused some warping of the keyboard and the effect I noticed before moving to a more rigid and presumably flatter surface?

The bass reproduction of the FP-50's speakers was very likely impaired by placing the instrument on top of cardboard boxes! A rigid stand will allow the speakers and any ports in the cabinet to function as intended.

You might also notice some variation in sound when you simply move the instrument to a different position in the room. At certain locations in the room, the volume of some notes may be accentuated by so-called standing waves or resonant frequencies inherent in the size and shape of the room itself. This would be an acoustic phenomenon, not a characteristic of the instrument, and would not be audible when using headphones.

Cheers,

Ben

#2293421 - 06/22/14 01:41 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Tuneless Offline

This weirdness was not room related or for that mater speaker related, as it was in the head phones too. So, I will just have to see what happens over time.

Roland FP-50

#2293430 - 06/22/14 02:31 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Gretel Offline

Edited due to lack of relevance.

Edited by Gretel (06/23/14 01:46 AM)

#2294093 - 06/23/14 10:20 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Tuneless Offline

OK, there really is something wrong with my FP-50. I am getting a resonance on some of the low notes thru the speakers AND in the earphones. At first I noted a loud resonance in G2 when struck fairly hard (I do that sometimes when I am trying to hit the right note) and checking the other lower keys, I also noted that G1 had a resonance. Then, after a little playing some more, G1 wasn't a problem but B1 was terrible. So, what ever this is, it moves around. The volume slider was up about half way.

So, I guess my next endeavor is to learn how to use my Zoom H-1 microphone, and how to use a sound sharing site. Have never done that before.

Now, would any one like to try to figure out what kind of thing is wrong with my FP-50? I really would not like to have to send it back, as the company does not have more of these in stock except for a blemished one. I suspect they were closing these out.

It is also unfortunate that I am in Prescott, and will probably have to shlup this down to a shop in Phoenix, at least 2 hours away. It would be just my luck to have the problem move some more and not show up at all when it gets to the repair shop. I may just have to play this until the problem becomes more permanent.

Would it be better to start a new thread so that others might read about this and give opinions?

Roland FP-50

#2294202 - 06/24/14 05:14 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
Hello Cynthia,
that sure is strange: "...after a little playing some more, G1 wasn't a problem but B1 was terrible. So, what ever this is, it moves around."
Did you change anything? Is it with all three piano sounds or did you use only one piano sound?

"to use my Zoom H-1 microphone" - You can record directly in the FP-50 itself. All you need is a USB stick and stick it in the slot on the back of the piano. Record WAV (you have to set it in the settings). Listen to it over the piano. Is it still there? Listen to it over an other system - is it there too? If yes, post the sample to sound cloud or whatever and let us hear it.

ps: If all goes wrong you can preform a factory reset (in the manual page 35). Maybe this will solve any problems that occurred using wrong settings.

Edited by Cmin (06/24/14 05:23 AM)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2294261 - 06/24/14 09:49 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Tuneless]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
OK, there really is something wrong with my FP-50. I am getting a resonance on some of the low notes thru the speakers AND in the earphones. At first I noted a loud resonance in G2 when struck fairly hard (I do that sometimes when I am trying to hit the right note) and checking the other lower keys, I also noted that G1 had a resonance. Then, after a little playing some more, G1 wasn't a problem but B1 was terrible. So, what ever this is, it moves around. The volume slider was up about half way.

So, I guess my next endeavor is to learn how to use my Zoom H-1 microphone, and how to use a sound sharing site. Have never done that before.

Now, would any one like to try to figure out what kind of thing is wrong with my FP-50? I really would not like to have to send it back, as the company does not have more of these in stock except for a blemished one. I suspect they were closing these out.

It is also unfortunate that I am in Prescott, and will probably have to shlup this down to a shop in Phoenix, at least 2 hours away. It would be just my luck to have the problem move some more and not show up at all when it gets to the repair shop. I may just have to play this until the problem becomes more permanent.

Would it be better to start a new thread so that others might read about this and give opinions?

I know it's a pain, but if you have to return the unit to the store and just buy another one elsewhere, do that. I wouldn't wait and continue to mess around with it.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2294279 - 06/24/14 10:29 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Tuneless Offline

Ah, of course, record wave in the DP. Should have thought of that, haven't yet experimented with it.

The resonance is just the given keys, each hit singly and fairly hard. Of course it also happens with other key in combination too, that is how I first heard it.

I'll get a recording today assuming it misbehaves today.

Roland FP-50

#2295173 - 06/26/14 04:20 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
a-z0-9 Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi, this is my first post. I thought I will just
contribute my views to this thread. But first a
introduction, I self-learned the classical guitar and
harmonica. Have been playing mainly classical pieces
on the guitar for about 7 years. The blues harmonica
is my second musical instrument for 3 years.

I am a newbie to the world of DP. Here are my thoughts:

1) I read through two old manuals: FP-7 and KF-7 in order
to understand the general workings of Roland DP better. I
am struck by how much clearer the explaination compared to
the manual of FP-80! e.g.

i) To delete a saved song, the steps are placed in a
different chapter.

ii) I got to understand how to play one finger chord mainly
from reading the older manuals. Hints from the FP-7 enabled
me to decipher the FP-80 manual better.

iii) The button placement diagrams are quite difficult to
see with my aging eyes.

iv) What happened to the tone list from 32 - 296? Just to
save a few cents in printing cost, does it mean I have to
get a iPad to see the tones in a table format? Anyone have
the full tone listing?

Now comes to the technical aspect of the comparsion. I hope
you bear with me if you think the questions are dumb as I
have very limited knowledge.

1) In FP-7, one can record your own chord progression.
I could not find this in the FP-80. Is this present? Or is
there a workaround?

2) My wife who is more muscially inclined then me, was
helping me to create a riff of a favorite pop song. She
commented that she could not find the beat-pattern e.g.
"8-beat Funk ", "16-beat Pop" , that is present in the FP-7e manual but
not available in FP-80. Am I missing something or is
there are workaround?

Generally, on the whole I am satisfied with the FP-80.
The sound to my ears are pleasant, it makes practice more fun
with a wide range of tones and music accompaniment.

#2295204 - 06/26/14 07:44 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Cmin Offline

Hi a-z0-9,
welcome to this forum.

I believe you can also record your cord progressions on the FP-80, but you probably have to stick a USB stick in the back and record as SMF. SMF is only Midi data.

The complete sound list can be downloaded here.

Hope this helps.

You are right though, the current manual is sectioned quite confusing, as well as the Function Mode.

Edited by Cmin (06/26/14 07:48 AM)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2297590 - 07/02/14 04:33 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Cmin Offline

Wow! I wonder why or how they did it.

Some months ago when Googling "Roland FP-80" this thread appeared in the top 10 search results. Now it's gone. Completely. frown

Edited by Cmin (07/02/14 04:36 AM)

#2297795 - 07/02/14 05:05 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
New FP-80 demo from Kraft Music

#2298132 - 07/03/14 08:58 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
a-z0-9 Offline

Loc: Singapore
Anyone can confirm whether Digiscore Lite works on the FP-80?
Is it a worthwhile investment to buy the iPad for this particular
app if it works?

#2298201 - 07/03/14 11:50 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Marko in Boston]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston

Not enamored with the sound of AP or EP on this video.

Roland praising their "Super Natural" engine in all their videos, sounds like they were awarded some prize for that technology.

Can anyone confirm this?

#2298217 - 07/03/14 12:26 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: 36251]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 36251

Roland praising their "Super Natural" engine in all their videos, sounds like they were awarded some prize for that technology.

Can anyone confirm this?

I think we all see through the marketing and make a choice for ourselves. Boasting from all the big brands can get a little annoying. For example -

Roland: "Rolandís award-winning V-Piano." "SuperNatural is one of the most profound music technology breakthroughs for electronic instruments."
Yamaha: "simply the best stage piano Yamaha has ever made." "The Ultimate Luxury in Piano Performance."
Kawai: "The most authentic keyboard, the most realistic sound, and the most articulate control." ( at least the keyboard might actually be true!)

#2298220 - 07/03/14 12:30 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Tuneless Offline

Can anyone tell me if the second and third pianos on the FP-50, Ballade and Bright, are stereo? When I switched from Concert to Ballade, there seemed to be some kind of change to the sound in my ear phones, but I couldn't tell if it was going from stereo to mono. I guess I am just not that sonically sensitive or educated to tell.

The resonance that blooms at about a half second into the sound and then rapidly fades on B1 is missing on the Ballade and Bright, so, since I really can't see a lot of difference in the sound between Concert and Ballade, I will use Ballade, but not if it is Mono.

Roland FP-50

#2298229 - 07/03/14 12:55 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
If it's a similar sound engine to my piano (HP 302), then yes, the Ballade and Bright pianos are stereo - and SN generated, I'm almost sure, but 'Rock Piano' and 'Honky-Tonk' are mono.

Concert Grand is the most realistic in my opinion - extremely lively and '3 dimensional'. Ballade is actually better - sweeter - in the usual melody-playing region, so suits romantic pieces such as Schumann and Chopin.

Bright is bright - not so subtle, but with a stronger presence especially in the mid - mid-high regions.

Edited by toddy (07/03/14 01:00 PM)

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2298231 - 07/03/14 01:02 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Marko in Boston]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Can anyone confirm this?

I think we all see through the marketing and make a choice for ourselves. Boasting from all the big brands can get a little annoying. For example -

Roland: "Rolandís award-winning V-Piano." "SuperNatural is one of the most profound music technology breakthroughs for electronic instruments."
Yamaha: "simply the best stage piano Yamaha has ever made." "The Ultimate Luxury in Piano Performance."
Kawai: "The most authentic keyboard, the most realistic sound, and the most articulate control." ( at least the keyboard might actually be true!)
I always appreciate your diplomatic approach.

Saying your the "best," is not bringing up any technology achievement and any co. could use same slogan.

Saying "SN is one of the most profound music technology breakthroughs," gives me the impression that independent research was done and it was deemed a "techno-logic breakthrough," or it's a reach, IMO, the way they portray it.

I'm discussing this cause I liked the pre-SN sound. I don't hate the new sounds with SN but I haven't been able to warm up to them as much.

Like I've talked about in previous threads, I changed back to Yamaha only cause Roland doesn't market a DP that fits my needs, but I'm still interested in staying up to date with all DP's.

#2298263 - 07/03/14 02:02 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: a-z0-9]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
Originally Posted By: a-z0-9
Anyone can confirm whether Digiscore Lite works on the FP-80?
Is it a worthwhile investment to buy the iPad for this particular
app if it works?

The DigiScore Lite function doesn't work on the FP-80.

DigiScore Lite is dependent on the DigiScore Processor being present as hardware on the piano. So while The new HP series and LX, F130R and RP401R have the chip on board, the FP Series (being a couple of years old) Do not.

One thing Piano Partner does REALLY well on the FP Series though, is arranger control for the built in styles.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2298264 - 07/03/14 02:05 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: 36251]
Jay Roland Offline

Not enamored with the sound of AP or EP on this video.

Can anyone confirm this?

Roland Corporation US won a dealer award for the FP-80 at this years NAMM show.

We won MMR Dealers' Choice Award for "Pro Digital Piano Line of the Year" (The Roland FP-80) in Anaheim.

So award winning. Yes. As defined by our dealers.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2298271 - 07/03/14 02:20 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: 36251]
500 Post Club Member

Can anyone confirm this?

I always appreciate your diplomatic approach.

Saying your the "best," is not bringing up any technology achievement and any co. could use same slogan.

Saying "SN is one of the most profound music technology breakthroughs," gives me the impression that independent research was done and it was deemed a "techno-logic breakthrough," or it's a reach, IMO, the way they portray it.

I'm discussing this cause I liked the pre-SN sound. I don't hate the new sounds with SN but I haven't been able to warm up to them as much.

Like I've talked about in previous threads, I changed back to Yamaha only cause Roland doesn't market a DP that fits my needs, but I'm still interested in staying up to date with all DP's.

-- Ha! I try to be diplomatic because the big brand's technology and marketing are very similar. No one big brand is better or worse than the other IMO. We are the ones that scrutinize the heck out of them in every way down to every detail. So, badly that aside of sound alone some make a decision on their purchase because one board might be an inch or pound less than the other, or sliders vs knobs, or keyboard action slightly to fast or slow, etc, etc. You know what I mean. No one brand is going to be the best of ALL features for every musician. Like you say, I'm still interested in staying up to date with all DP's. So, I guess im just diplomatic by default by seeing the best and worst of each brand equally.

-- I get what you say about "SN is one of the most profound music technology breakthroughs," gives me the impression that independent research was done". Well, there might be some breakthrough technology in there but Roland can not claim it all. That's like saying Al Gore single-handedly invented the internet. Roland did not invent sound sampling or modeling. If anything, Yamaha probably spearheaded modeling technology and Kurzweil on the sampling. Roland just new how to use it and market it best IMO (I can be completely wrong here). Regardless, Roland gets a lot of millage out of that SN branding. "SuperNatural" reads better than "Semi-Sampled Semi-Sound Modeling Hybrid Engine".

-- Somewhat like you, I must admit Im not a huge fan of the SN "NX" APs sounds. Im not sure if the FP80 shares that same AP sound. Regardless, I was not blown away by the FP-80 sound in the video, but still sounds very good. However, I am extremely fond of the latest SN Concert Grand and EPs.

#2298357 - 07/03/14 06:04 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Marko in Boston]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

-- Somewhat like you, I must admit Im not a huge fan of the SN "NX" APs sounds. Im not sure if the FP80 shares that same AP sound. Regardless, I was not blown away by the FP-80 sound in the video, but still sounds very good. However, I am extremely fond of the latest SN Concert Grand and EPs.
Fair enough. I could easily live with the Roland sound, not like my experiences with the mighty Red DP. When I owned a FP7, I believe it was a step behind the latest RD700, so you're probably right that the FP-80 has the NX sounds. I do think the RD800 is an amazing board and if they made a strictly DP model without the added 5" pitchbend section and more traditional case with a place for a music rest, I might of thought about it. The FP7 bottoming out and weight was the main reasons I downsized to the FP4, so I hope that's better on 800.

#2298723 - 07/04/14 07:37 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Jay Roland Offline

Originally Posted By: Cmin
Wow! I wonder why or how they did it.

Some months ago when Googling "Roland FP-80" this thread appeared in the top 10 search results. Now it's gone. Completely. frown

You can chalk it up to better SEO practices by both Roland and the online web stores. They appear to dominate the first couple of pages.

No one can change the ranking of a Google search by any other means.

Jay

#2299170 - 07/06/14 01:59 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Cmin Offline

Ouch!

#2299382 - 07/07/14 03:57 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
escope Offline

Hello Guys!
I didnt buy FP80/FP50 yet, but I gonna do that
I'm excited about FP80, but it has a weight 52 lbs.
For me it's not a big problem.

I'd like to buy carrying bag like CB-88RL
http://www.roland.com/products/en/CB-88RL/

But How I understand It is not compatible with FP-80! (At the same time compatible with RD-700, RD-300, FP-50)
Why Roland has not thought about FP-80 customers by this way?

Thank You.

Edited by escope (07/07/14 04:08 AM)

#2300290 - 07/09/14 02:45 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

...and now the FP-50 demo from Kraft

#2304449 - 07/20/14 03:03 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Tuneless Offline

It has been a good month since I received my FP-50, so now I will give my thoughts on the FP-50. I am very happy with the clean look of the DP and really like the white. I chose that color because my cataracts are getting a bit worse and the lighting is really important to see good contrast. The dark lettering on the white keyboard is much easier to see in good or bad lighting.

My initial feel that the base end of the piano was too loud has been remedied with the use of the EQ. I could use some kind of primer on this, but my crude understanding has at least made things fairly usable. I am currently using the following settings and any comments would be appreciated:
LO Gn -5 , Fq 100
LM Gn -2 , Fq 200 , Q 20
HM Gn 1 , Fq 500 , Q 20
HI Gn 1 , Fq 80K

The odd resonances in the B1(piano 1)/C2(piano 3) notes at fff are not troubling, so I can just ignore the fact that it can happen occasionally if I am beating on the keyboard too hard.

However, something else really does bother me. There is a hard knocking sound in the samples for a number of the notes around B4/C5. and it is there in all 3 of the first AP sounds, it is just stronger on different notes for each of the pianos. It sounds as tho there was a problem with the key bed of the original acoustic piano used for the recordings. This problem is a very clear finger print of the original piano, so I will steadfastly claim that the recordings are of the same piano, but probably with some hammer voicing in between the recording sessions of each.

If you have an FP-50, F20, and probably an FP-80, tho also probably other Roland DPs, and you have not heard this, I can tell you how to make it easier to hear. But I warn you, like the centipede that was asked which foot it moved first couldn't walk thereafter, you may not want to have this sound pointed out to you. One needs only to run the reverb up to 10, and the initial knocking sound will be heard as slightly delayed due to the echo of the reverb.

I am quite shocked to be unable to find any reports of this on Piano World. Maybe I am not using the right key words. So please point out any discussions of this I may have missed. I would chastise Roland for allowing this to remain in their sound samples, but at this point I suspect that they are between a rock and a hard place, as so many say they are really fond of the Roland sound, and how can you correct this without going out and doing a whole new sampling set. The piano may not be around anymore, and messing with the hammers for voicing will mean that there may not be the ability to capture the same sound, and of course just recording the individual bad notes is out of the question since the piano cannot be expected to sound the same generally with the passing time or voicing. Adding a truly independent acoustic piano to the set of sounds would have been appreciated.

So why do I see it and not other people? Probably because I am playing very few notes at a time (easy piano) and play them slowly so that I hear almost all the notes very clearly. They are not masked by multiple notes or the speed of flying fingers. I have made do so far by turning the reverb off completely, but this is not 100% effective, and I still get a little annoyed at times. And it does not take fff to hear it, so my normal playing intensity causes me to hear this sound.

This is annoying enough that I went back to my spread sheet to review my possible choice of DP, but nothing on the sheet comes close to checking off all the required boxes, so I am going to live with this. And maybe the problems I know are still better than the problems yet to be discovered in another DP. I will eventually be getting a Surface Pro 3 and will be adding some software pianos. I hope that I can do so and still use the built-in accompaniment and especially the adaptive accompaniment while using the software pianos.

I bought the Kaces 15KB bag for the keyboard but have yet to pack the dp into it.

Addendum: I have mentioned it elsewhere, but for completeness I will put it here, the amplifiers for the speakers have way more power than is usable for the speakers, and over driving will happen in the upper end. Combined midrange and tweeter is no doubt the cause of the distortion. The FP-80 solves this problem by having separate tweeters. But the weight of the FP-80 is beyond what I can handle. It has been noted by another that trying to use the left side of the key board of the FP-50 for a base accompaniment on stage just does not work because of the distortion.
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2247359

Roland FP-50

Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77388 Members
42 Forums
160045 Topics
2350268 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission