Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
68 registered (AZ_Astro, ando, 18 invisible), 1219 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2295334 - 06/26/14 01:50 PM Mason & Hamlin
Nicole865 Offline

Hi, my family and I are new to piano. I played flute for 20 years, my son plays violin, but we would love to acquire a piano and learn to play. We have recently come across a Mahogany Mason and Hamlin Baby Grand Piano AA. It is from 1913, but it was well cared for and refinished since the previous owner was a piano teacher. Unfortunately, she passed away and the family is placing this in an estate sale and just wants to get rid of it. It plays beautifully (I don't play, but one of the ladies at the sale does). It holds a tune, has a few white keys slipping off that can be fixed, and is absolutely gorgeous. Does anyone have any idea what I should expect to pay for this piano in today's market?

Thanks,
Nicole865

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2295338 - 06/26/14 02:06 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Nicole - Welcome to Piano World!

It is almost impossible to give even a range of prices because none of us know this particular piano. For any piano from that era, it must be judged on its own merits. Mason & Hamlin has always been a fine piano, however.

An estate sale can often be a place to find a great piano, or could go overboard in the heat of bidding.

Prior to the sale, is it possible to have it inspected by a qualified piano technician? At least then, you would know it's mechanical condition. Often a technician will know of the selling prices in your area. Or, sometimes not.

I wish I could be of more help, but there really isn't enough information to go on.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2295387 - 06/26/14 04:14 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Unfortunately value is completely dependent on condition. I realize you might think you have described and evaluated the condition, however you haven't considered the critical information that makes the piano valuable... or just a rebuildable core.

The finish is at the bottom of my list to evaluate.

Here's what is important to me: condition of the bridge and soundboard. Is the soundboard still functioning well? Are there cracks in the bridge? Are the bridge pins tight? What condition are the strings? If they are original, they do need replacing. Condition of the hammers? Is the action worn out? How is the sustain and tone of the piano? All of these things usually require an expert evaluation. If these items (and others, my list isn't intended to be exhaustive) don't pass then the piano is a rebuildable core. I wouldn't pay more than 3k for a AA core, and I might be high with that number. But I like AAs.

By the way, don't let the fact the previous owner was a piano teacher influence you. Some teachers know a lot about pianos. Some know shockingly little.

#2295390 - 06/26/14 04:15 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nicole865
We have recently come across a Mahogany Mason and Hamlin Baby Grand Piano AA.

Just for accuracy... the AA is not a "baby" grand.

Best wishes on your piano journey.

#2295465 - 06/26/14 07:23 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
It's hard to recommend a price without seeing the instrument. Check "Piano Buyer" it might have some used piano pricing info.

I see a "Piano Buyer" link in the banner on the left side of this forum. Good luck. Hope your able to avoid a bidding war.

#2303125 - 07/16/14 05:42 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
Nicole865 Offline

HI, Thank you for all the feedback! I had no idea this was not a "baby" grand. Seriously, good to know. Either way, we bought piano. I know, crazy! The sound is beautiful. It is slightly flat, but we are having it tuned anyway. Some of the keys are obviously worn and discolored, so I would like those redone. The fall board is being refinished, had a huge scratch on the front. So, outside looks great. Sounds great, but will have them take a look at the inner workings to see what all needs to be replaced. I was able to get the piano for $525!!!! They put it on an online auction because they did not want to deal with moving it...actually, most people didn't. I did have a the piano company look at it when they came to move it into our house for set up and take the fall board. Got a phenomenally crazy deal! My neighbor used to travel with a gospel group and plays the piano (lucky me, because we don't, but want to learn). We had the opportunity to hear him play and to hear the sound from the piano. It was so exciting for us, especially the kids (of course, as non piano players, we probably wouldn't know what we were listening to anyway, hahahaha). He loved it though, so that was encouraging! Hopefully, the rest of the repairs will not be too bad, but the keys definitely need to be replaced, they are popping off and cracking!

Any other suggestions as to what to look for is most helpful! Also, just for educational sake...what is a baby grand? Seriously.

Thank you!!!
Nicole865

#2303144 - 07/16/14 07:07 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Wow, what a deal!!! smile

Why can't I come across a deal like that... (I'm jealous smile )

Congratulations on a fantastic piano and a more than fantastic deal!!

Rick

#2303185 - 07/16/14 10:20 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Congratulations Nicole!

As I was reading your post about buying the piano, I was thinking that you did everything that everyone suggested that you don't do.

Then, I came to the price - Wow.

There is no way you could go wrong, even if you need to spend a fair chunk of change to get it up to snuff.

Again - Congratulations!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2303199 - 07/16/14 11:28 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Any other suggestions as to what to look for is most helpful! Also, just for educational sake...what is a baby grand?

First that price: wow!

The term "baby grand" does have some confusion attached to it. I think there was a span of time when piano salesmen and manufacturers thought calling piano a "baby" would help sell it, regardless of how big it might be. So if you dig back into historical sales ads, etc. you might find some pretty large pianos called "baby".

However, in contemporary usage it usually refers to a piano manufacturer's smallest grand piano... which is often about 5'3" or 5'4". For Mason and Hamlin that would be their model B. Next larger in the current MH lineup is the model A, then your model AA (however the new ones are different than 1913... many people including myself prefer the golden era AA), then the BB, and then the big giant model CC.

Congrats on your piano - enjoy!

#2303203 - 07/16/14 11:43 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
HI, Either way, we bought piano. I know, crazy! The sound is beautiful. It is slightly flat, but we are having it tuned anyway. Some of the keys are obviously worn and discolored, so I would like those redone. The fall board is being refinished, had a huge scratch on the front. So, outside looks great. Sounds great, but will have them take a look at the inner workings to see what all needs to be replaced.
Any other suggestions as to what to look for is most helpful! Also, just for educational sake...what is a baby grand? Seriously.

Thank you!!!
Nicole865

]Greetings,
Don't do anything until you know it can be tuned!! Your tuner should be able to tell you all you want to know about the pin block after they tune it, but don't put a cent into cosmetics until you know whether you have furniture or a musical instrument.

#2303207 - 07/17/14 12:04 AM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Phooey! At that price, even if it is a basket case, which is not likely, it can be made into a fine musical instrument. I have done that with an AA which had half the strings snapped from rust.

#2303349 - 07/17/14 11:41 AM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
Rich D. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Almost impossible to beat that price on a Mason Hamlin AA, regardless of condition. Congratulations!

Rich

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"

#2312396 - 08/07/14 11:37 AM Re: Mason & Hamlin [Re: Nicole865]
Nicole865 Offline

Thank you for everyones input!!!! We have been worried about this..still waiting on the fall board...
I will definitely have them check the pin block next before having anything else worked on! I have learned so much at this point that it does not matter how beautiful it looks, but more importantly how does it sounds. So, that is where our focus is at this point. It's so funny, we moved our dining table into the basement and now sit in our tiny kitchen or on the couch. All for this piano. LOVE IT! God willing everything else works out. Thanks to everyone and for the explanation on the baby grands!!! Total misunderstanding. Love history!
God Bless,
April

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348965 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission