Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2291516 - 06/18/14 08:03 AM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
P.A.S.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2291543 - 06/18/14 08:38 AM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
This has nothing to do with how many pianos anyone has, but the kind/brand of piano, I suppose.

Several months ago, I bought a 58 Kimball baby grand from a local church that went to all digital pianos. It is a late 70s model with the Bosendorfer designed plate (big, round holes) laminated sound board and Schwander (sp?) action. The only reason I bought it was because the church was not too far from my home and the price was appealing, as far as what some used baby grand pianos sell for; it had some wear and needed a good cleaning, hammers reshaped, action regulated, etc

To be honest, Ive been pleasantly surprised with the tone and touch of that piano I have played it hard, and often, and it holds a tuning better than any piano Ive ever had (laminated sound board?). The tone is a bit woody (laminated sound board?), but not really overly bright or harsh. The low bass sounds very nice for a 58 piano from the late 1970s.

Ive thought about selling it and moving on to another piano adventure, but I really do like it and it is hard to part with.

So, the only thing worse than Piano Acquisition Syndrome (PAS) is liking them all and wanting to keep them all! smile

Rick

#2291548 - 06/18/14 08:47 AM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Well Rick, we know that you don't suffer from PDS (Piano Divestiture Syndrome.) !!!

crazy - wink - grin

#2291564 - 06/18/14 09:14 AM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet, Knabe 5'2" Grand made in 1927, Steinway XR, Rippen Alugrand, Steinway K52, and Yamaha G3. I have brokered several pianos that I didn't actually own but were at my house including a beautiful Baldwin 9' Concert Grand, just bought a Baldwin 45" upright yesterday. Currently I just have the Knabe and am picking up the Baldwin tomorrow.

The Baldwin was an absolute steal as it's in good condition and the owner only wanted $200. I plan on cleaning that one up and reselling at some point, unless I decide I like it better than my Knabe, in which case the Knabe might go up for sale.

#2294131 - 06/24/14 12:38 AM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Sauter Offline

Loc: Mexico City
5 (3 vertical, 2 grands)
I wish more

#2294239 - 06/24/14 08:00 AM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
P.A.S.

Well at least there is an official name for my affliction shocked

#2294571 - 06/24/14 10:21 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
I have lost exact count, but I think I have owned nine or ten, with only my last being a grand. I did own one rosewood square grand, but it was never playable really. The rest were uprights including one player piano which does play the rolls but is not very playable manually. My current piano, a 7 foot Mason-Hamlin BB is the best piano I have ever owned and will be my last (probably.)

#2294580 - 06/24/14 10:33 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
Upon reading all the posts, I tried to re-count. I forgot about my two organs and accordion, but didn't think they would count. I also forgot two pianos. One was given to me when I was about 14 with the promise that my grandfather, who was a life-long piano tech as well as a pipe organ installer/repairman, would repair the action. He never got to it and we moved, leaving it behind. That was my first piano. For years I used to buy antique uprights from estate sales and newspaper ads. These usually cost from $50 to $100 and I usually refinished the cases, cleaned them, and sold them for about $150. Not much for all that work. I did nothing to the musical components themselves. I only owned two or three that played well. The most I ever had at one time was three. My wife wasn't thrilled. My newest piano is a top-notch instrument and makes the rest seem like kindling.

#2294846 - 06/25/14 01:54 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Skylover Offline

In Europe, America and other first world countries is very easy to buy a piano. Where I live, a piano is a luxury iten. I will have to content myself with a US$600 digital piano till the rest of my life. ;-(

#2295370 - 06/26/14 03:18 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
doctor S Offline

Loc: Western PA
Wurlitzer spinet, Steinway L, Sohmer console, Sohmer baby grand, Petrof II.
Rhodes 88 with Gulbransen Midi strip; Yamaha Clavinova, DG500, P85, YDP-142;Adesso P88

#2295384 - 06/26/14 04:08 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Rickster Offline

Well, it's not a done deal yet, or at least it's a bird in the bush at the moment, but I'm planning on buying another piano this evening; it ain't a done deal until the money changes hands and the piano is loaded on the trailer. Either party could change their mind before that occurs (and that has happened to me before).

I won't reveal what it is just yet, but it will make my current tally of acoustic pianos at 6... (all at the same time).

Guess I've got PAS pretty bad, and I'm not sure there's a cure... smile

Rick

#2295398 - 06/26/14 04:30 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Gasp!

With bated breath!

(Or, in Minnesota, baited breath grin )

#2295490 - 06/26/14 07:58 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: Skylover]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: Skylover
In Europe, America and other first world countries is very easy to buy a piano. Where I live, a piano is a luxury iten. I will have to content myself with a US$600 digital piano till the rest of my life. ;-(

Where are you, Skylover? Thanks for pointing this out--makes me glad they invented the digital piano!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2295503 - 06/26/14 08:30 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Rickster Offline

Okay, it's a done deal! I'm now the proud owner of a 1974 model Kawai UST-6 46" studio upright! smile

I bought it from a local church who was raising money for their youth group; So, I feel like I helped them out and helped me out too. smile

It needs a little work, but in good shape for its age; a few battle scars here and there from moving around, but the insides, strings, hammers, action, soundboard, etc... are in great shape. And, it sounds and plays pretty good too.

It'll give me something else on which to practice my wan-a-be piano tech skills and my piano playing skills (both need a lot of work smile )

Thing is, now, I've got as many acoustic pianos as I've got goats. smile

Rick

#2295521 - 06/26/14 09:08 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Congratulations Papa!

#2295523 - 06/26/14 09:11 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Marinelife Offline

Loc: DC/Maryland
Betsy Ross spinet, which was good-natured until the elbows started falling off.

Old Kawai upright that probably could have been acceptable with a better tech.

Trade-in Kawai upright that wasn't going to be fine, ever. Serves me right for buying out of sheer frustration. Neither of these lasted long.

Used Schimmel upright. I am just getting to know it. This one is pretty sweet.

#2295716 - 06/27/14 10:05 AM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
First piano: one of the old, huge uprights from the early 1900's.

Second piano: a no-name stencil baby grand (4'10"?) I used from about 1974 to about 2002.

Third and current piano: A 6'3" Baldwin L, originally built in 1966. Heavily re-worked. When I replace the action, it'll be completely rebuilt except for the finishes on the case and plate (which are original).

#2295912 - 06/27/14 07:06 PM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: jdw]
Skylover Offline

Originally Posted By: jdw
Originally Posted By: Skylover

Where are you, Skylover? Thanks for pointing this out--makes me glad they invented the digital piano!

I come fro Brazil. Don't get me bad, I like my country, but I have to agree it's one of the biggest shitholes in all the world.

#2297154 - 07/01/14 01:31 AM Re: How many pianos have you owned in your lifetime? [Re: The Wind]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I forgot to mention in my previous post that I once owned a Rippen Alugrand. It had issues but was cool. Sleek and mid century modern.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (bennevis, casinitaly, Andy001, Allard, barbaram, 16 invisible), 1035 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157229 Topics
2309259 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
52 minutes 4 seconds ago
First Recordings on the New Steinway!
by Markarian
57 minutes 30 seconds ago
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
Today at 02:52 AM
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
Today at 01:59 AM
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission