2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,882 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by 36251
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
I object to your characterization of my posts regarding the RD800. Jay
My comments written after a feature was not included on RD800, was not directed related to the RD800. Removing that feature and how you explained it, brought up my feelings about the newer versions of the FP4, a piano I held dear to my heart and thought about upgrading to newer versions only to find that Roland removed most insert effects and on/off switch for internal speakers, etc.

It's the general sense I get from Roland, that these decisions are made without the best interest of the players who purchase your products, which is why I commented. I'm seeing a pattern and maybe I'm wrong, but like everyone here, it's my opinion, which, I agree, don't mean that much.

Not that it's my argument, but I think you missed the point of Jay's unease. I would have thought it was this "Kawai adds features and continues product lines. I commend them for that and enjoy that you keep the "spins" to a very minimum, unlike other reps on this site."

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
[Linked Image]

Is this nonsense really necessary? Do I have to install it in order to "legally" sell or trade-in my RD800?

Here'e the remedy kit and instructions.

http://www.rolandus.com/go/rd-800/images/RD-800_Installation_Instructions.pdf

US law methinks? Nothing to do with Roland.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

US law methinks? Nothing to do with Roland.

I think you are right. I also believe the attorneys a had a feeding frenzy on Roland holding this whole thing up for months. Poor Roland must of taking a huge financial hit with this one just in legal fee's let alone total halt on selling their flagship stage piano for three months.

But I bet a there are a few attorneys that bought a yacht just in time for summer compliments of Roland.

B
B

Do I have to install it in order to "legally" sell or trade-in my RD800?

That would be my interpretation.

Nothing on the Roland UK site as yet, but when it appears, I'll apply for the kit, and fix it should I ever sell the keyboard.

I'm assuming you'll also have to prove have fitted the kit & stickers to get the free gifts, but I'm not bothered, as I always use an EV-5, and have accumulated three DP-8/10 pedals.

Roland RD-800, RD-700, SRX-02, SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, EV-5
B
B
After seeing the Power Cord Misconnection Prevention Kit on the Roland

site, it confirmed my suspicions that Rube Goldberg is still alive.

barrydmd

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by bgiles

I'm assuming you'll also have to prove have fitted the kit & stickers to get the free gifts,

If thats true, I think I better sharpen up my Photoshop skills [Linked Image]

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Not that it's my argument, but I think you missed the point of Jay's unease. I would have thought it was this "Kawai adds features and continues product lines. I commend them for that and enjoy that you keep the "spins" to a very minimum, unlike other reps on this site."

Yeah, that was a bit of a dig. Jay is good rep and kind enough to jump into PW and try to help out as James and Mike do so well. It's not easy that's for sure. I believe his intention are sincere in representing Roland. He is simply justifying product features and not spinning anything IMO.

But we are a tough crew here on the forum and these reps have to have a thick skin when we bitch about their products not measuring up to our perfect standards. But it is clear that we all appreciate and respect James and Mike. Same should go for Jay.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 06/27/14 02:38 PM.
B
B

If that's true, I think I better sharpen up my Photoshop skills

Just spotted the "RD-800 Installation Confirmation Form" on http://www.rolandus.com/go/rd-800/.

You have to confirm you have fitted all FOUR stickers, take a photo of the fitted modification, sign, date and return the form.

All very legally orientated!

Furthermore, the 'Storage Method' shown in the installation instructions confirms my suspicion that the modification may well have transportation implications for many users.

Roland RD-800, RD-700, SRX-02, SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, EV-5
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
......... Jay is good rep and kind enough to jump into PW and try to help out as James and Mike do so well. It's not easy that's for sure. I believe his intention are sincere in representing Roland. He is simply justifying product features and not spinning anything IMO.

But we are a tough crew here on the forum and these reps have to have a thick skin when we bitch about their products not measuring up to our perfect standards. But it is clear that we all appreciate and respect James and Mike. Same should go for Jay.

Yes, very well put - you'd need to have the diplomatic skills of a UN boss (or better) to be a company representative taking part on this forum. I wouldn't last one week. I would disgrace myself and the company I was supposed to be representing grin

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Best stage piano we've ever produced.

Jay

Oh no its not .... not even close

The RD1000 is the best stage piano Roland has made or will ever make.

That said I like my RD800 but what the hecks this recall about?

Any idiot who plugs the A/C into the XLR deserves electrocution.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
LOL !!!!! I just saw all this ... nobody is going to do that to their RD800 ... it ruins it.
Can't put it in a case .... bloody ridiculous
Stay away from it.... and stop cowering to lawyers Roland !

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EssBrace
[ The RD-1000 is not the thing they have repackaged in the RD line.

No the RD-1000 was (and is) Roland's best ever stage piano

By MILES ....

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by toddy

The RD-1000 might be the pioneer. The RD-1000 might be the daddy. It might be as indestructible as Captain Scarlet (who died last Sunday, sadly).

But are you seriously, seriously saying that it is better than the 800 or the 700NX?

If you had the choice of only one DP for ever more, it would be the 1000 rather than the later incarnations?

Yep ... RD-1000 was a real instrument... sounded nothing like a piano but nothing else sounded like it either.

Just a fabulous board and has to be on anyone's all time favorite lists.

Rolands problem is they have a lot of boards on that all time favorites list ... but all of them are 25 years old or older.

Modern boards may be better technically, more versatile, easier to use, more practical .... but they are artificial.

I've just finished playing a tour where my stage piano was a miked up C7 grand .... and frankly I forgot how great it was to play the real deal.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
I've just finished playing a tour where my stage piano was a miked up C7 grand .... and frankly I forgot how great it was to play the real deal.

Well whatever the tour was, I wish I'd been there. A decent C7 is the business! Maybe the all time best rock/pop/contemporary piano. The C7 is the reason we all have that Yamaha sonic imprint in our minds. I wonder how many records a C7 has graced...

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

Wow nice to have the real deal live. Who were you on tour with?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I don't think we are all that tough of a crew to deal with. But reps have to wear so many hats it can get rather confusing as to the role they play here. Reps might be able to help if you have a problem, but mostly they're here to cheerlead their latest products. It's a two edged sword.

I'd be happier if they were more open about the technology in their products, but I understand they can get in trouble for revealing too much, even if the information itself may be quite mundane (corporations are nothing if not excessively secretive).

Reps often take criticism toward a product they represent personally, which I find rather odd. When you make products, all criticism is good criticism, and when those who have bought your products in the past, or stand a good chance of buying your products in the future, take the time to raise issues with them, I think you're crazy not to listen. So I don't get it when reps get a case of butthurt, or act to shut down debate. I can only suppose that this kind of talk gets dealt with harshly inside closed doors, and they are acting reflexively.

I'm not here to bury them, but I'm not here to blindly praise them either. Off duty they are probably the nicest guys in the world, but their motives for being here in the first place are generally ulterior to that. Companies exist primarily to make money, any secondary reasons are usually way down the list. So a friendly rep is something of a wolf in sheep's clothing and should be handled accordingly. I imagine this is one of the reasons why PW has rules that require reps to clearly out themselves in the fora.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
+1 re Dewster's comments. But I think we all know when reps are wearing their company hats, as they tend to yank them way down over their ears! wink They really are walking a tightrope, sometimes.

FYI:
"Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission."
(Pulled from a U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission document.)

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
B
B
Will the new rd-800's that Roland ships have the Misconnection Prevention Kit

or something neater ?

barrydmd

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by BarryDMD
Will the new rd-800's that Roland ships have the Misconnection Prevention Kit

or something neater ?

barrydmd

Im sure the the next production run will have a three pin C13. I would be "shocked" if does not. (...I know, I couldn't resit)

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
It's easy to say "Just throw everything in there!" but when the board costs $4000 to get it all in there, we don't sell as many, and frankly, you don't want them because they're too expensive. At the end of the day, the RD800 is less money than the 700NX, so something had to come out.
That sounds like spin to me.

We put our newest and best sound engine and piano action in there. A new colour screen, and plenty of ways to set up the piano to be the perfect live instrument in an ensemble or solo piano situation. With tons of tweakability and ways to save your setups and MIDI assignments, it really checks the right boxes for it's primary users.
You decide?

The MIDI to Audio conversion is interesting to me. And I will enquire about whether or not that is something that could be added in a future firmware update. It does exist in our HPi-50e Interactive Home Piano, so I know we have the technology to do so. It's just not something that has been a request from the RD user base.
I'm sure we would.

At some point, you have to make an instrument that focuses on the users who primarily buy it. Our user base wanted outstanding piano tone and touch, lots of realtime control and some of our best other tones that worked in a live environment. Which we provided in spades. Feedback we've gotten owners already is that this is heads and shoulders above it's predecessor in almost every respect.
Obviously, anyone who questioned the removal weren't on the primary buying list.

So while I completely respect your opinion dewster, I don't know that I share it.
We'll never really know, will we?

If you just stated that you'll find out from a technology reason why the feature was remove, yet is still available on lower priced products then it wouldn't of triggered my objection. And if you find out the reason then maybe you can explain to me why was the product line of the FP4 was neutered?

I'm interested, not from a user, but my interest in corporations and how/why decisions are made.

If my car had a reverse transmission that had multiple gears and then I bought the new version and it only had a single gear reverse, then I can grasp why it was removed but all professional musicians are not alike so why remove features that are useful.

My problem with this whole subject is it appears that Roland thinks it knows how to split up its many product lines and I respectfully disagree with their view. I mean an engineer at Roland designed the RD800 AC receptacle and some management team ok'd it and now there's the recall. Just maybe the leadership is not as intune with the consumer as they think.

I know you have a fine line to walk and I'm sorry if I offended you, but you gave me the chance to talk to the Roland company more directly, then I've ever been able to and I took that opportunity.

Last edited by 36251; 06/28/14 12:57 PM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission