2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves

I have a newish Mac. I don't have to load any driver. The software just work with 64-bit OS X core audio. I think perception is individualized thing. I practice on a real grand piano, so it is hard to not perceive latency from software especially when I start playing fast. ... For practice I've pretty given up on software (except Pianoteq).

What size do you set your audio buffer? For what virtual piano besides Pianoteq? It sounds like something isn't set up right for you to have noticeable latency problems.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I have the buffer size increased pretty high so I would not get any sound clipping especially when I jump more than 3 to 4 octaves from one side of the keyboard to another. I notice that's the biggest problem, also with pedaling and repealing. I have polyphony set pretty low as well, I think 128. It seems to me that if the preload buffer setting needs to be high, and the software consumes close to 1 GB of RAM, it would run fine without clipping for fast playing, but there is noticeable latency especially with lots of pedaling. I would increase the pre-load buffer to consume 2 GB of RAM if it helps, but it doesn't seem to. I don't have an SSD drive. I think that would make a big difference. My CPU load is never that high with sampled software. It's higher with Pianoteq but never over 75%. The IO is definitely the bottleneck for sampled software here. The native sound off the Mac is surprisingly good, so I don't see a need for a external interface since I have spare CPU cycles. I suppose if I had a quad core processor may not help, but I have a dual core proc for now.

Like I said, it's playable, and if that's all I've got, I would live with it. Also, when I'm recording, I just know the latency is there and deal with it, but at least no clipping. However, since I switch between digital and acoustic, I do notice the latency on Ivory/TrueKeys. Playability is just not the same as acoustic.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with my setup. These software pianos are very easy to use. They only expose a limited number of parameters to the user interface and don't provide any interface for CLI shell. If you know any conf file tweaks not accessible from GUI that would drastically improve latency I would appreciate it.

If you turn on the native sound on the digital keyboard, you could literally hear a eighth to sixteenth note latency at allegro to presto compared to the native sound. Pianoteq is much less, so acceptable. The native sound has latency compared to a real piano, but it's so slight it is never a problem.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
If you turn on the native sound on the digital keyboard, you could literally hear a eighth to sixteenth note latency at allegro to presto compared to the native sound

That signals either a fault in your system, your settings, or insufficient computer power.

S
S
I have the buffer size increased pretty high so I would not get any sound clipping especially when I jump more than 3 to 4 octaves from one side of the keyboard to another.

Hmmmmm,

It looks strange,
On a new mac you should be able to set it to 128 or even 64 samples, without any dropout and with imperceptible latency.

On my 5 years old pc, I am running Pianoteq 5 on a Tango Studio distribution (Linux world) at 64 samples, 48kHz and that gives a total in/out latency of 2,6 msec, without any dropout at 128 polyphony maintained during 1 minute (stress test, pedal down, flat hands on the keys playing anything), and with a cpu charge no more than 60%.

There is maybe something to tweak on your setting

Last edited by stamkorg; 06/30/14 12:42 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
8 octaves appears to be talking about the disc preload buffer rather than the asio buffer....the latter is surely the problem?

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I thought Macs had CoreAudio built in and didn't need things like ASIO.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I thought Macs had CoreAudio built in and didn't need things like ASIO.

They don't need anything like ASIO or an external soundcard. But it doesn't sound like you know how to set the audio buffer and that is probably your problem. Again, what virtual piano are you using? Look and see what the audio buffer is set to. It shouldn't be more than 128 samples with the poorest designed virtual piano, and can be 64 samples, or 96 samples worst case with others. If you have latency issues with today's state-of-the-art virtual pianos (Ivory II or Vintage D or True Keys) and a recent Mac then you have a setup problem.

Last edited by Macy; 06/30/14 02:56 PM.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but for closure, I made some system upgrades (Mac OS X upgrade to new version) and now the latency issue is no more. I did not make any hardware upgrades, so it was just installing new OS X. Thanks to everyone that insisted "it's your setup" not software piano compared to Pianoteq. I don't even have an SSD drive.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission